Author Topic: [IC] Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro (GB CLOSED)  (Read 204337 times)

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
Re: [IC] Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro (UPDATED WITH SAMPLES)
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 22:42:10 »
It all depends because there are different types of white for keyboards. From the sample pics that Wei sent me, you can see that the white KBD67 is quite cool and epbt BoW would be a closer match to that.
Yeah I know, that's why I'm asking what type of white is yours - didn't realize it's a KBD67, I didn't even know Wei has a white option.
It will be a new colour option. Not sure when KBDfans will start selling it.

Asked Wei, and said that it's in production right now and should be out next month, and will also have a 4mm plate. I know not entirely related to this, but getting this keycap set I think it'll look really sweet on that new KBD67.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

Re: [IC] Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro (21/12/18 UPDATED WITH NEW SAMPLE PICS)
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 02:23:59 »
Silly question, but does this come with the appropriate backspace key for the KOYU layout? I want to buy it, however, still learning about after-market keyboards and keycaps.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2018, 02:58:47 by Genuine.Senpai »

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 02:29:13 »
Silly question, but this come with the appropriate backspace key for the KOYU layout? I want to buy it, however, still learning about after-market keyboards and keycaps.

Thank you.

I believe KOYU backspace is R3 1.5u cap, which is included in the mods kit.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Justin_aka_OsP_SSJ4

• Chellow... it's me...
    • My Twitch
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 02:40:51 »
Will the white be like GMK WS1 or CP?
Gok has mentioned a few times that currently it matches WS1. He is waiting to see what the samples are like before confirming for production run.

the jap mods are liiiiit. Any estimates on when this will run?
Will start sometime in January.
PLEZ HUAREY!!

If Wei send you the samples already and they are just waiting on you to get home?

Dude let the man enjoy his holiday.
NeVeR!

Just banter. Goks a mate we talk all the time.

Updated original post with new photos and amended information.
Samples and comparison with BOW look incredible. Perfect colour imo. Legends are super crisp too.
DC60 w/ DZ60 PCB & Steel plate w/ 3mm neoprene foam - 68g Chellows Lubed w/ 3204 - Find me on twitch/twitter Osprey_SSJ4

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 08:44:02 »
Silly question, but does this come with the appropriate backspace key for the KOYU layout? I want to buy it, however, still learning about after-market keyboards and keycaps.

Thank you.
There are 2 versions of the appropriate backspace, 1 in each of the mod kits.
The standard mod kit has the box backspace and the Japanese mod kit has the more traditional style of icon+text but with Japanese text instead.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 14:15:44 »

Thank you.
There are 2 versions of the appropriate backspace, 1 in each of the mod kits.
The standard mod kit has the box backspace and the Japanese mod kit has the more traditional style of icon+text but with Japanese text instead.

Thank you for clarifying. Once the GB goes up in January I'm definitely planning to buy the base kit + Japanese mod kit.

Offline ray160

« Reply #256 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 01:51:16 »
might be a bit late but some alternate colored mods would be nice

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #257 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 10:10:34 »
This has become a must buy for me! Addition of a black spacekit would be nice.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 10:39:51 »
This is on my to-do list for when I get back from my holiday. I won't be getting samples of these though.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 19:42:26 »
This is on my to-do list for when I get back from my holiday. I won't be getting samples of these though.

I don’t think samples will be needed. Enjoy your holiday and good luck with the GB   :thumb:
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Bricksu

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 18:33:46 »
Chance you can add a black enter with white text to match the esc? - or is this already planned, sorry as I haven't read through the whole forum  :p

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 19:09:31 »
Chance you can add a black enter with white text to match the esc? - or is this already planned, sorry as I haven't read through the whole forum  :p
It's in the main post. I try to put everything important there so that people don't need to go through the thread.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 December 2018, 19:11:26 by gok101 »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 22:07:17 »
On the first post:

Now the "white" of this 黑「白」set looks more like ivory color when these latest key cap samples were featured on such a true white keyboard case...

Really want to see some comparison between the Kuro/Shiro, the BoW, and the 9009 for their color difference.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 January 2019, 22:41:08 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Nzo

• wish I was back in CA
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:30:00 »
Been a couple weeks since I followed the thread. Someone catch me up. Why did we decide to go with a warmer white?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 23:11:17 »
Been a couple weeks since I followed the thread. Someone catch me up. Why did we decide to go with a warmer white?

Yes I couldn't follow either.

The market is flooded with Japanese sets with various shades of warmer colors closer to beige and they are of competitive qualities.
I have been following this only because I want a set that is similar to the true white of the EnjoyPBT BoW Black on White but less boring and with these Hiragana Japanese legends...
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline ian13

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 00:25:42 »
I believe the original plan for this set is WS1, which is really warmer than that of ePBT BoW. It was also stated in the first post of this thread.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 00:40:03 »
I believe the original plan for this set is WS1, which is really warmer than that of ePBT BoW. It was also stated in the first post of this thread.

The WS1 idea was not the very original one and was eventually evolved to perhaps matching WS1 when there is no anchor point for color reference out there and GMK's color is the "current standard".

But please wait a second and think of the GMK Muted project and GMK Modern Dolch - these two all have gone out of their old ways and decided to abandon GMK's colors and switched to use other colors from other reference, e.g. Pantone when they search for a more modern less warm color than the traditional old school colors.

There are too many creamish ivory looking white color keycap sets out there already and I want a real white set to better match the metal keyboard cases, especially in silver and in space grey color, IMO warmer color match better the titanium and gold and champagne which all have some yellowish tint to the color element.
It would be helpful to compare this side by side with other white color keys - while we can see that is currently made to be not as white as the EnjoyPBT BoW.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline menuhin

« Reply #267 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 01:12:02 »
This is GMK Printine (L9 which is close to WS1) on a white Filco.
Looking like something yellowish grey on this white keyboard...

More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Nzo

• wish I was back in CA
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 02:09:40 »

I was expecting a cooler “true” white. Odd thing is the black keys seem to have cooler white legends and don’t match WS1. These should be the same color keys but reversed dye sub? The pictures show a difference.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 03:09:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

I was expecting a cooler “true” white. Odd thing is the black keys seem to have cooler white legends and don’t match WS1. These should be the same color keys but reversed dye sub? The pictures show a difference.
Just got back home. I will take some photos tomorrow comparing the set to BoW, Black Hiragana and GMK samples.
WS1 much brighter than L9. In decending order of brightness among the off-whites, it would go WS1, CP, and then L9.

If I compare it against BoW, it looks brighter and makes BoW look a bit dull and muddy in comparison.

Regarding the reversed dyesubbed keys, they are dyed onto the same base keycap. The black is much darker and nicer in person than in the photos posted by Sherry in the KBDfans discord. What I do need to adjust is the thickness of the legends to account for some bleed/bloom as I can see taht the reversed dyesubbed arrows are a little thinner than the normal ones.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 04:14:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Just got back home. I will take some photos tomorrow comparing the set to BoW, Black Hiragana and GMK samples.
WS1 much brighter than L9. In decending order of brightness among the off-whites, it would go WS1, CP, and then L9.

If I compare it against BoW, it looks brighter and makes BoW look a bit dull and muddy in comparison.

Regarding the reversed dyesubbed keys, they are dyed onto the same base keycap. The black is much darker and nicer in person than in the photos posted by Sherry in the KBDfans discord. What I do need to adjust is the thickness of the legends to account for some bleed/bloom as I can see taht the reversed dyesubbed arrows are a little thinner than the normal ones.

Has WS2 been considered? WS2 is obviously whiter than WS1 without the yellowish creamish tint of the traditional "white" series. It is closer to the Filco case kind of white and the colder color tone to much silver and space grey metal cases.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 04:24:51 »
I like the whitier caps too (like in the mock up??).

But still in if ur decided with ws1  :thumb:

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 08:19:26 »
I have the BoW set and it's whiter than my white iphone, white ikea chair, white zowie mouse, white xiaomi lamp and very similar to the white xbox one controller. WS1 should match better with the other white things (except the white xbox controller).
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2019, 08:37:22 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:47:15 »
Will KBDfans be the only place to buy the keycaps or are there proxys like for epbt Slate?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 14:42:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

Has WS2 been considered? WS2 is obviously whiter than WS1 without the yellowish creamish tint of the traditional "white" series. It is closer to the Filco case kind of white and the colder color tone to much silver and space grey metal cases.
WS2 is something that I am considering for future rounds of BoW, not this. I will talk to Wei about possibly tweaking the colour of kuro/shiro to make it something between WS2 and the sample.
Last time I attempted this for BoW, Epbt were having trouble make the plastic fully opaque and it tended to warp more than usual so there are some limitations.

I like the whitier caps too (like in the mock up??).

But still in if ur decided with ws1  :thumb:
Keep in mind that the mock-up keyboard was a MAO E6-V2 which is a little grey which means that the keycaps will look brighter in comparison.

I have the BoW set and it's whiter than my white iphone, white ikea chair, white zowie mouse, white xiaomi lamp and very similar to the white xbox one controller. WS1 should match better with the other white things (except the white xbox controller).
I can only compare the samples against the white Zowie mouse as I don't own any of the other references you have mentioned but the samples are a little warmer (reddish hue) compared to the mouse.

Will KBDfans be the only place to buy the keycaps or are there proxys like for epbt Slate?
Yes, only through KBDfans.

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 12:02:27 »
As long as it's not whatever one JTK BoW was. I thought it was really white until put next to white artisans and paper for comparison. You can really tell in person. Without next to anything looks nice, but next to paper almost looks creamy haha.

Offline rondg

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 16:11:41 »
I am in the minority here maybe because I don't have a black on white keyset but I really like this white. I hope I can join the GB.

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 16:17:02 »
I am in the minority here maybe because I don't have a black on white keyset but I really like this white. I hope I can join the GB.

I'm in the same boat. This would be my first black on white set too. I quite like the white from the samples, but I'm not opposed to looking at other white options.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
Re: [IC] Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro (05/01/2019 UPDATE)
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 16:30:42 »
I have updated the main post.
This is currently how it looks on my white Chiwi60

I will be ordering some Pantone samples to try and find a slightly less yellow type of white. My intention is still to make it warmer than BoW but not as warm as the current sample.
The dyesubbing is looking sharp though and I am much happier with how the samples of this came out compared to BoW.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2019, 16:45:37 by gok101 »

Offline Olitender

« Reply #279 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 17:15:04 »
Show Image

I will be ordering some Pantone samples to try and find a slightly less yellow type of white. My intention is still to make it warmer than BoW but not as warm as the current sample.
The dyesubbing is looking sharp though and I am much happier with how the samples of this came out compared to BoW.

Damn, this looks really clean.
Going into heat.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 17:27:14 »
Show Image

:eek:

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 21:25:37 »
I really like it on that picture with the Chiwi. It actually matches the white on the case pretty well and doesn't seem as yellowish as the kbdfans pictures. Even if you don't change the white, I'm back in for this set.

The black accent keys look great too! Will there also be a black spacebar kit?

Edit: I saw you already added spacebars.  Is there any chance you would add arrow keys with kanji on them instead of arrows? Like 上、右、左 and 下

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2019, 21:38:18 by Hyperdimension »

Offline dantambok

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 21:43:16 »
Love the idea of replacing the arrow key legends!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 21:48:05 »
I really like it on that picture with the Chiwi. It actually matches the white on the case pretty well and doesn't seem as yellowish as the kbdfans pictures. Even if you don't change the white, I'm back in for this set.

The black accent keys look great too! Will there also be a black spacebar kit?

Edit: I saw you already added spacebars.  Is there any chance you would add arrow keys with kanji on them instead of arrows? Like 上、右、左 and 下
It's hard to tell from the photo but they are a bit more yellow than the Chiwi but the Chiwi's finish is whiter than most whites.

Arrows are pretty universal and I haven't ever seen kanji being used on native Japanese keyboards so probably not, sorry.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 02:02:17 »
Will definitely be joining

Offline leexy

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 02:25:11 »
I think the warm white on the samples are perfect.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 03:25:22 »
Started following a bit late, but I like what I see. The samples look good, but I agree with you - I think a little less warm will really take it to the next level.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #287 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 03:49:22 »
Show Image

Perhaps most people realize that "Kuro & Shiro" means black and white in Japanese, and I am just trying to help expressing my idea to eliminate most, of not all, the beige-ness in the design, to result in the ultimate coolest true Black on true White Japanese set.

It is great to see you listen and then try to make observations, in order to perfect your project.
Looking forward to see the sample in the next revision!
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline asphyxia

• i'm lovely
    • Twitter
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 08:02:33 »
I am very excited !
TGR 910 CE / Kmac Happy HHKB / LZ CLS H / Duck Eagle V2 / Poly Singa / TX65 / DC60

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 08:06:32 »
This is probably a must-have PBT set to me.  :-X

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #290 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 15:19:49 »
Hi Gok,

I dont know if this is possible and in time enough to fix it a bit.
After i got BoW i noticed the Æ in the international kit is slightly bolder and pops out a little.
( maybe it has some todo with the double lines in it, dunno or maybe my eyes is playing tricks )

I think it has something todo with the space in the Æ and a little bump on the top of it. I hope i can explain good enough, let me know what you see :)

BoW
210016-0

Kuro/Shiro
210018-2

( Its already look better this with more air inside  :thumb: but still have the bumb on the top of the legend )

But never the less, this is a dope ass set, and i am bowing all the way to NZ in humbleness for the Intl kit <3
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 January 2019, 15:28:59 by RETURNISO »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 15:31:27 »
Show Image

Whats the kelvin in that photo?  :)

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 15:57:08 »
Hi Gok,

After i got BoW i noticed the Æ in the international kit is slightly bolder and pops out a little.
( maybe it has some todo with the double lines in it, dunno or maybe my eyes is playing tricks )

I think it has something todo with the space in the Æ and a little bump on the top of it. I hope i can explain good enough, let me know what you see :)

BoW
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Kuro/Shiro
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
( Its already look better this with more air inside  :thumb: but still have the bumb on the top of the legend )

But never the less, this is a dope ass set, and i am bowing all the way to NZ in humbleness for the Intl kit <3
I never really cared much for ISO before but I had revised the legends as part of the Royal Alpha redesign so I have fixed a few of the ISO legends in the process.

Attached is the updated legend for the key you were referring to.

EDIT: I've also just realised that I need to add keys to the International kit so that the correct sublegends are present because keys such as Æ change between Danish and Norwegian layouts, etc.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 January 2019, 16:03:08 by gok101 »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #293 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 16:10:29 »
Hi Gok,

BoW
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Kuro/Shiro
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I never really cared much for ISO before but I had revised the legends as part of the Royal Alpha redesign so I have fixed a few of the ISO legends in the process.

EDIT: I've also just realised that I need to add keys to the International kit so that the correct sublegends are present because keys such as Æ change between Danish and Norwegian layouts, etc.

Thank you for caring mate :thumb:

Looks perfect!!

( Will this updated Æ also be in slate, or did you not work on that? )

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #294 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 16:12:34 »
Hi Gok,

BoW
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Kuro/Shiro
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Looks perfect!!

Yes, I will be updating the legends on that set soon. The existing samples were based on BoW but Slate, Grayscale and Royal Alpha will have the thinner legends, similar to Kuro/Shiro.

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #295 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 16:14:25 »
Hi Gok,

BoW
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Kuro/Shiro
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Looks perfect!!

Yes, I will be updating the legends on that set soon. The existing samples were based on BoW but Slate, Grayscale and Royal Alpha will have the thinner legends, similar to Kuro/Shiro.

:eek: :-*

Edit. And please do PM if you would need help sorting some of those Nordic letters out :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 January 2019, 16:22:20 by RETURNISO »

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
Re: [IC] Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro (06/01/2019 UPDATE)
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 21:01:01 »
Replaced the mock up with a photos section.
Would like to give thanks to Zekkin for letting me use his photo for the mock up. You can still find a direct link to it under the updates section.

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 21:57:36 »
Would like to give thanks to Zekkin for letting me use his photo for the mock up. You can still find a direct link to it under the updates section.

Dope! :thumb:

How you reckin the timeline for the GB is gonna be?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 22:44:14 »

Dope! :thumb:

How you reckin the timeline for the GB is gonna be?
It will be set back quite a bit due to needing another round of samples.

Offline Sleepy_Badger

« Reply #299 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 09:05:13 »
Ooo love this cant wait for GB :D With the set backs are you aiming for mid or late 2019?

Also anyone have suggestions for a 60 to put these on? Would like some suggestions if you do. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 09:45:12 by Sleepy_Badger »