Author Topic: 8.9 Earthquake in Japan  (Read 17238 times)

Offline Oqsy

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 09:18:36 »
My condolences to anyone who has lost friends or family. Insanely strong earthquake.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline phillip

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 09:57:41 »
Plenty of strong aftershocks too.

My little sister and brother in law are in Japan, but they're okay.  They just don't have any electricity right now.

Offline Lpb45

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 10:04:27 »
I hope all will be well, alot of japans buildings are built with earthquakes in mind so it should be nowhere near as bad as the fallout in Haiti.  The tsuname is another thing alltogethor tho
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline vils

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 13:52:01 »
One of my brothers lived in Sendai for over two years, I'm pleased that he lives closer to me now.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline Ekaros

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 04:22:49 »
Hmm, so they got issues at Nuclear Powerplant... Somewhat this is suprising for Japanese...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline guilleguillaume

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 04:39:56 »
Those are terrible news, the videos and images on TV are horrible.

I can't believe that the buildings didn't fall.

I hope the Tsunami would not affect America.

Offline db_Iodine

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 04:57:06 »
Quote from: Ekaros;310331
Hmm, so they got issues at Nuclear Powerplant... Somewhat this is suprising for Japanese...

BIG issues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 06:12:32 »
Quote from: vils;309989
One of my brothers lived in Sendai for over two years.

I was in Sendai just last year visiting my wife's relatives. Thankfully they are all OK. They're all keeping in touch on mixi which (from what I can tell) is the equivalent of facebook for the Japanese.

Good to see Google's doing it's bit to help out too: http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 06:33:30 »
db_Iodine-

I just heard! Oh No!
I hope they can wrangle those other two plants and keep them from the same fate.

This really makes me wonder about the implementation of "closed" system backup infrastructures. What a horrible catastrophe on top of a tragedy.

I really hope things don't get worse and that people start receiving more aid soon.
=S
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline speakeasy

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 07:17:04 »
Got some family in Okinawa, my cousin Masato is studying in Tokyo. Trying to get in touch with them, though chances are everyone is alright... for now. Hoping that the powerplant problems don't escalate, I don't like the prospect of radioactive wind over Asia.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 07:49:21 »
Definitely a terrible situation and tragedy. Through the GH Custom Keyboard project, I've become friendly (via email) with Carl at Archisite, Japan, who designed the Filco and Leopold keyboards. I emailed him the other day to wish him and everyone in Japan the best.

Offline Jerri

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 08:50:55 »
Yeah i was really shocked when N-24 (news channel) said something about an explosion in the powerplant... damn, hope the japanese people make the best out of the situation they have now...
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 09:53:01 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;310360
Definitely a terrible situation and tragedy. Through the GH Custom Keyboard project, I've become friendly (via email) with Carl at Archisite, Japan, who designed the Filco and Leopold keyboards. I emailed him the other day to wish him and everyone in Japan the best.

I'm pretty sad right now...Carl's hometown was devastated and is unable to get in touch with relatives. I told him that everyone at GeekHack sends him their very best wishes.

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 10:06:23 »
i would guess the impact was of the same magnitude of hurricane katrina ... tip tonic plate action
I <3 BS

Offline db_Iodine

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 10:41:58 »
Some people are just dumb as f***.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Ekaros

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 10:49:23 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;310434

That is just sad...

Hope they get things under control. Lot of issues going on...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 10:51:06 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;310398
I'm pretty sad right now...Carl's hometown was devastated and is unable to get in touch with relatives. I told him that everyone at GeekHack sends him their very best wishes.

Indeed. I very much hope that the lack of contact is just a comms problem.

Offline kill will

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 10:52:29 »
soarer do you own a lexus ? because there is a lexus soarer. not in america though :(
I <3 BS

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 11:21:43 »
Quote from: kill will;310445
soarer do you own a lexus ? because there is a lexus soarer. not in america though :(

Yes, a turbo. Grey import from Japan.

Offline kill will

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 11:29:10 »
sweet !  i used to own a 2jz ge lexus sc300 ... it was too big for me though.  i drive a 318ti now
I <3 BS

Offline guilleguillaume

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 11:38:18 »
It's so sad that people laugh about such a disaster...can't understand what do they have with their minds but they have serious problems.

Offline tacite

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 12:36:52 »

Idiots, nothing else to say.

If they deserved earthquake and tsunami for Pearl Harbor, what should America get for Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
FILCO Majestouch Tenkeyless
(FKBN87MC)

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline kill will

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 12:41:07 »
hurricane ryan?
I <3 BS

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 13:16:55 »
Those folks are about as dumb as it gets. People like that make Americans look bad.

Offline Lpb45

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 14:36:28 »
what do you expect those quotes are taken off cnn's comments from news stories.  pretty sad that us here in the US share the same country with those mouth breathers
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 14:45:56 »
I really can't believe people are saying that stuff, just because of pearl harbor. At this point I'd say everything from WWII is long in the past.

Both countries have been friendly and allies basically since then. Very strongly. I mean, for war purposes we're their main army. The SDF is just designed to hold off whoever is attacking until we can get there.

Anyway yeah, this is horrible.

I've heard some scientist say that this may not be the biggest one, he thinks that a bigger one is coming. Possibly for California.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Lanx

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 04:02:46 »
Anyone have the skinny on the nuke reactors? from what i've heard they're almost at meltdown trying to contain it. Can't Japan like get a Fedex team of the world's smartest and best nuke guys for like a week to contain the situation? NATO? UN?

I can certainly see how disgusting ppl are posting that stuff. When I used to live in virginia, i remembered 12-7, ever since my 2nd year there. Why? well ppl i worked with for a few months all of a sudden go, Lanx... your not Japanese are you? "i go no i'm chinese why?"... "no reason"

Same thing happens next year on the same day... I then quickly realize it's all about pearl harbor. The next year I get asked the same question, except this time i tell em "no, i'm chinese like my grandfather who fought during the rape of nanking, 4 years before pearl harbor"... and then I educate them a bit on nanking and i'm in the japanese hating club of virginia. (i didn't hate them really, i was just really interested in this whole hatred, so i figure i had to get in the circle somehow)

I'm not saying the south is that bad, just that, that's my experience there and the "level" of just outward hate.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 04:08:56 »
Thats the kind of vomit-inducing behaviour that gives countries a bad name - and I'm not just talking about Americans. I'm pretty sure the Japanese didn't say things after 9/11 like "Dear America, enjoy your exploded buildings - Sincerly Nagasaki and Hiroshima"

*edit* - That was a response to the Facebook **** on page 1.

Offline mike

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 07:50:54 »
Quote from: Lanx;310910
Anyone have the skinny on the nuke reactors? from what i've heard they're almost at meltdown trying to contain it. Can't Japan like get a Fedex team of the world's smartest and best nuke guys for like a week to contain the situation? NATO? UN?

I'm sure they're in regular contact with IAEA (another part of the much maligned UN). Of course it may well be that the world's smartest and best nuke guys are already working in Japan - along with France, they're a lot more active than most of us (the US has more reactors, but they're mostly old plants).

Without wanting to lessen the seriousness of the situation, I don't things are quite as bad there as it might seem. They're a long way from a situation anywhere near as serious as Three Mile Island; never mind Chernobyl. Apparently the reactor vessels are still intact (that huge explosion wasn't quite as serious as it looked - the reactor building is designed to blow out to reduce the chance of damage to the reactor vessel). They've still got cooling problems, and those take time to sort out, but to a certain extent they've got time.

Quote from: Lanx;310910
I can certainly see how disgusting ppl are posting that stuff.

There's arseholes everywhere. But it does sometimes seem that American arsehole is particularly loud and obnoxious. That may be because in most places it takes a certain level of education to rant in English; whereas any dumb American arsehole can spew forth in their native language.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 08:35:46 »
In my experience, European *******s are no less loud and obnoxious, including the English.

I think people from abroad like to point fingers a lot at us and it's ****ing annoying.

Offline dxong

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 08:50:24 »

I am seriously disgusted by those people, even with the awareness of the existent of amoral narcissitic brainless people like them, this still surprises me, so if they speak in name of god and justice, karma whatnot.. how are they gonna justify the casaulties in Vietnam! ...there is no end...

"Karma Hame HA" back at those peoples faces!

Best wishes

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 08:52:39 »
They're probably on the Karma Payment Plan.

Offline mike

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 09:59:33 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;310936
I think people from abroad like to point fingers a lot at us and it's ****ing annoying.

Yeah? Well I find it pretty ****ing annoying when people go out of their way to misinterpret what I said.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 10:01:10 »
You said pretty clearly that Americans are worse than others.

Offline mike

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 10:14:54 »
Nope. Try again.

I did say that sometimes it seems that American arseholes are particularly loud and obnoxious; I went onto explain (in different words) that as we're writing in English, that loud, obnoxious, and ignorant arseholes from other parts of the world are at a disadvantage as they're less likely to write in English.

Perhaps what I said could be confused, but it definitely wasn't clearly anti-American.

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 10:21:00 »
I don't see the word "sometimes" anywhere.

Quote from: mike

There's arseholes everywhere. But it does sometimes seem that American arsehole is particularly loud and obnoxious. That may be because in most places it takes a certain level of education to rant in English; whereas any dumb American arsehole can spew forth in their native language.

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 10:22:12 »
I think it was, but what do I know. I'm an ignorant American.

Offline Oqsy

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 10:29:25 »
How about all the *****es, crybabies, and asshats exit this thread?

Thousands dead. Thousands more missing. Floods, fires, flattened buildings, landslides, tsunami, and the possibility of nuclear disasters (multiple sites).  

Have some perspective.

There's no reason to repost that Facebook idiocy here. Yes, it's completely bat**** behavior, but bringing it here is just disrespectful, and has turned the thread, which
I intended to be a condolences and / or memorial thread into a "who's the biggest *******?" pissing-match.

Many members here have friends, family, coworkers, etc. in Japan, and I was hopeful that geekhack could handle the subject with class. I goofed.

Any more of this **** and I'll gladly report my own thread and ask that iMav delete it.

There's another Japan quake thread out there that's all about "but is my iPhone 5 gonna be late now?". I'm perfectly happy for that thread to get derailed.

Now, I've said my piece.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 10:49:21 »
Oqsy is right. I apologize for feeding the trolls.

Getting back on topic, if anyone is interested in helping the folks in Japan, here's a good source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20110311/wl_yblog_newsroom/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-how-to-help
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2011, 11:30:02 by keyboardlover »

Offline RiGS

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 11:56:27 »
I couldn't agree more with Oqsy.
I really hope things don't get worse. All the best wishes for all those in trouble.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 12:16:48 »
This video helps put things in perspective:

Offline speakeasy

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 12:25:29 »
lol if you think what those Americans on Facebook are saying is bad, imagine what the Chinese/Koreans/any other country that got screwed by Japan in WWII are saying. It's not just Americans who have trouble letting go of what Japan did. But how any of that relates to a natural disaster is beyond me.

Got in touch with my cousin, turns out he's on vacation in Morocco (which explains the delay in communication), so he's OK and so is the rest of his immediate family.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 12:35:29 »
Good to hear speakeasy. Lot of rescue stories coming in now, which provides some hope.

Offline Ekaros

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 12:42:52 »
I refrain myself of trolling over subject of Americans...

Still, this once again shows how nature can be devastating. I hope the best for all there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 12:44:19 »
Quote from: Ekaros;311030
I refrain myself of trolling over subject of Americans...

I would ask "why?" but I don't want to bait the trolls anymore.

Offline Ekaros

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 12:48:53 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;311031
I would ask "why?" but I don't want to bait the trolls anymore.

It is not the subject of this thread. Also, I want to show my "superiority" by not being like some examples posted here... Most people wouldn't just like it, at this time and on this matter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 15:14:00 »
More information regarding how you can help Japan.

I urge everyone on GH to donate to Japan. There are over 2,462 active members on GeekHack. If we could donate anywhere from $50 - $200 each, that could reach nearly half a million $ in funds. But I urge you to donate whatever amount you are comfortable with.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2011, 15:39:42 by keyboardlover »

Offline dxong

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 20:15:01 »
You can also donate directly to Japanese Red Cross Society. Easy transaction through google.

Praying from both Denmark and Vietnam

Offline keyboardlover

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 20:15:38 »
Quote from: dxong;311314

Praying from both Denmark and Vietnam

Keyboardlover "likes" this.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

8.9 Earthquake in Japan
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 02:13:48 »
Good to see this thread get back on track.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)