Author Topic: Silicone on key switches  (Read 1450 times)

Offline TeacherGeek

Silicone on key switches
« on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 01:52:37 »
Has anyone tried to do this like they have on the Cherry MX Silents?

I was thinking while this would be a very tedious process, since you have to let them dry and not touch anything else, you should be able to replicate Cherry MX Silents with a different switch.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Silicone on key switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 15:18:06 »
You mean putting silicone onto regular switches?  Yeah I don't think it would be worth the hassle also hard to maintain consistency across all the switches.

I'd say just buy silent switch or get topre.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 15:47:30 »
Damping of bottoming-out noise is pretty much solved: O-rings of the right thickness or "trampoline mod"

Damping of topping-up noise: Liquid latex has been brushed on the top of the inside of Cherry MX housing.
But I think it would be hard to get the result consistent. I suppose you could use silicone rubber instead. I would be wary about using silicone caulk though — because that releases acid when it dries.

The best silencing mod for Cherry MX is to use QMX silencing clips, but the keyboard needs to be built just the right way.
"Silent" switches are still better though.

Read more on Damping in the Deskthority Wiki.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 05:28:36 »
So I tried the silicone today. Used glass sealant.

It definitely works.

First I tried it on the mechanism, then on another I tried it on the housing. I think you'll get more consistency on the mechanism but it's more fiddly.

Will keep playing around with it.