Author Topic: HHKB pro2 case change  (Read 5012 times)

Offline ghastone

HHKB pro2 case change
« on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:25:01 »
I use an HHKB pro2 type-s as my daily driver and I'd really like to put the black case on it. I hear the process is quite easy but I am nervous that once done, the board will sound or feel different, does anyone know if that ever happens?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: HHKB pro2 case change
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:09:05 »
This was asked a while ago: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17547.msg1056284#msg1056284

No-one replied, so I guess there is not that much of a difference, if any.

OTOH not many people would have both and thus be in a position to answer.

However the cases are made of the same plastic, just in different colour.  No reason why they would, or should, sound different.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ghastone

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:32:45 »
Thanks. Also how hard is it to change the case from white to black, is pulling the case off as easy as taking the screws out?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:13:21 »
It is very easy. 3 screws and the case is off.

But I have seen people take a white HHKB top and put it on a Black bottom. If that is what you are asking.

But keep in mind that the HHKB is case mounted. so you would have to remove the motherboard from the top case. its not hard, just alot of screws to take off.

The hard part is keeping the domes attached to the motherboard. once they unstick they are unstuck forever, unless you use glue or something (dont do this).
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:17:03 by Bromono »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:15:55 »
double post

Offline ghastone

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:59:19 »
Alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind, not sure how I feel about taking the mobo off :/

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 00:11:40 »
it might look/sound tedious, but just put on some music and make yourself some tea. it'll be over before you know it!
besides, you do this once and you'll forever have that sweet look : )
you won't regret it!

and surely there are a few tutorials/guides out there, or otherwise experiences of people doing HHKB case-swaps.
otherwise, i think the RF87U case-swap is almost exactly the same. i think the only difference is that you'll have to remove the caps of the HHKB as well.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline ghastone

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:30:24 »
I'm trying to remove the stems from the top case, does anyone know how to properly do this. I'm so nervous to break something.

Offline ghastone

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:38:19 »
for reference

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:33:42 »
Use the handle end of your large screwdriver and gently push then through from the top side.

Offline ghastone

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:56:52 »
got it :)

Can't say I'm not having a mini panic attack about this keyboard being dis-assembled though :/

What will I type on at work in the meantime??? my laptop keyboard /gasp...

Offline ghastone

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 17:27:10 »
Just wanted to show you guys the end product. (HHKB pro2 type-s modded with black case)

Hope you guys like it as much as I'm loving it!!! :)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 18:17:15 »
Just wanted to show you guys the end product. (HHKB pro2 type-s modded with black case)

Hope you guys like it as much as I'm loving it!!! :)

Show Image

Didn't know this was who I traded to o.o

Looks good!

:thumb:

Offline ghastone

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 18:49:22 »
Haha yep, my username is different in reddit