Author Topic: sleeving usb wiring  (Read 5468 times)

Offline antok86

sleeving usb wiring
« on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:29:14 »
has anyone used some kind of braiding material to sleeve their usb cables on their keyboards to give it a different look?

Offline o2dazone

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:32:21 »

Offline antok86

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:41:24 »
cant really see it..whats taht silver knob ?

Offline o2dazone

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:54:53 »
It was the only good photo I have, here's another, but admire it for the braided sleeving, the camera didn't focus on anything in particular

edit: the silver knob is a Griffin Powermate
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:58:58 by o2dazone »

Offline pfink

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:56:11 »
I haven't tried it yet myself but I remember someone mentioning on another board that parachute cord makes for a nice cable cover:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ROPE120-1.html

The inner strands are used to pull your cable through the outer braided covering.

Offline antok86

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 19:34:12 »
Quote from: o2dazone;111197

edit: the silver knob is a Griffin Powermate

what do "you" use the knob for

Offline o2dazone

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 22:52:29 »
I just use it for volume, I find that keeping my hand on the keyboard is more valuable than scrubbing through a timeline in Premiere or AE. I'm sure if I did a lot of 3d or something though, a SpaceNavigator would be worth it. But yeah, $30 volume knob. Right next to a $250 rubber dome

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 14:41:18 »
Paracord works here.

Initially, I tried sleeving an already-sleeved cord.  I didn't like that it emphasized existing sleeve kinks, and it probably decreased cord flexibility.

So then I made my own cable for my mouse, pulling 2.5 twisted pairs obtained from CAT5 cable.  The resulting paracord conforms the to gnarliness of the inner strands, but results in what I think is a slightly more flexible cord overall.

Offline rdjack21

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 16:29:58 »
Haven't you tortured that poor Boscom enough already. Now you want to blow it up. I would think that would be an issue seeing as you don't have very many parts left.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline nanu

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 17:13:07 »
Quote from: ripster;111476
don't tell me your mouse has higher dpi.

If anything, it's gone down from 1000 DPI, not that I can tell.

According to USB on wikipee, I should've used a twisted pair for the data lines.
Whoops; I just randomly mimicked the original cable.  The strands also no longer have shielding, but I figured it's acceptable since the cable's fairly short at around 1.8m (71 inches).

Offline o2dazone

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 21:48:30 »
Quote from: ripster;111492
it's those Audiophile guys that really get into twisted pair.

Those audiophiles twist my pair >:|

(of undies)

Offline nanu

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 12:35:46 »
It's questionable if you introduce significant electrical resistance by two solder points (and extra copper) by this sort of mod, but if it works...

Anyhow, I sleeved some extension cords for easier access from where I'm sitting. It could have been easier. Months ago I bought the cheapest cord-style USB hub available from Dealextreme, but of course it came DOA so I salvaged its inline jacks for this.

I thread the inner wires from a 4-conductor phone cord through paracord.  For the business end (jacks, here) it's better if you stagger the wire cuts before joining them.  Strip wire ends, preload thin heatshrink tube, twist the exposed wire ends, and tin with solder. Shrink the heatshrink tubing. The staggering is there to prevent a single bulge of wire joins that would prevent the paracord from sliding over. Complete the end of the paracord by thicker heatshrink and perhaps some adhesive underneath.

For the other end, I managed to find a motherboard-compatible ribbon cable with a header.

I have no clue why the 5th USB wire isn't hooked up in to the jacks.  Maybe it should just be grounded, I guess by touching the metal PC case.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 12:38:10 by nanu »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 12:45:26 »
On motherboard headers for USB, the extra 2 pins (well 1, if it's following the established standard) are for keying the connector so it can only go one way.

That the one 5th pin does have a wire connection is just because of the nature of the connector design. Grounding it shouldn't cause problems, but it doesn't need to be (and I can identify one rather old motherboard where it was in fact a 5 volt line instead of ground on the motherboard, so be careful with that).
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline nanu

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 12:48:08 »
Yeah, I actually plugged one of the holes there on the motherboard connector with a section of big paperclip so it goes in the correct way. I just assumed there should be some reason why most of the USB devices I've taken apart actually have that 5th wire.

Offline nanu

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 13:02:45 »
Shows you how much I care for my devices. I wish that were my gold tooth. I'd knock myself out and trade it in to afford more goodies I'd maybe care about :D

Offline kriminal

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 18:06:19 »
braided sleeves and heat shrink....
check the site
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline trievalot

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 18:49:31 »
mmmmmmm, spaghetti.
[SIGPIC]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 23:55:38 »
Quote from: ripster;173034
Technically you're supposed to shield the cable and connect to the non-host side (the female connector).

Agreed. Also Technically, any system with a USB extension cable (male-female) is out of spec. There's no provision for USB extension cabling in the USB 1.x or 2.x specs. (not familiar enough to comment on extensions for USB 3. Wireless USB probably doesn't need extensions...).
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline nanu

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 07:17:22 »
Lesson learned: sleeve only existing manufactured cables or suffer the consequences.

I'm skeptical of an extension being improper though. If the combined cable length is still within spec and it's shielded throughout, what would make it unreliable?

Offline Rajagra

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 08:48:07 »
Quote from: nanu;173184
I'm skeptical of an extension being improper though. If the combined cable length is still within spec and it's shielded throughout, what would make it unreliable?

Signals get reflected at the join. Doesn't matter for low frequency signals, but wreaks havoc with higher frequencies. Often seen with analogue video extension cables (you see ghosting.)

Offline nanu

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 09:09:29 »
Quote from: Rajagra;173195
Signals get reflected at the join. Doesn't matter for low frequency signals, but wreaks havoc with higher frequencies. Often seen with analogue video extension cables (you see ghosting.)

So length of the extension matters? The extension from the motherboard to front panel USB jacks exists.

Offline Rajagra

sleeving usb wiring
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 09:58:07 »
Quote from: nanu;173198
So length of the extension matters? The extension from the motherboard to front panel USB jacks exists.

Distance can matter. Signals travel at near the speed of light along the cable. If the join is very close to the source, then any part of the signal that echoes back and forth will only be out of sync with the original signal by a small amount. The longer the distance to the join and the higher the frequency of the signal, the more likely that the interference will, err, interfere.

Also the more extensions you have, the more reflections there are. The fact that one extension is already present is not proof that more are acceptable. It's proof that more will add to an already existing problem.

You can over-analyze this. All that matters is whether it works or not. The nice thing about digital signals is they tend to work well or not at all. Once a 1 or 0 has been received you don't have to worry about the quality of that bit. A bit sent through a $500 cable is no better than one sent through a 50¢ cable.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 April 2010, 10:07:00 by Rajagra »