Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 922235 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #2150 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 22:02:36 »
it is possible, at least on his original boards, however they were never added with official support because he uses a custom boot which is not supported. iirc, use of tmk or easyavr required an isp loader to load DFU first. not straightforward

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2152 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 01:48:35 »
if it is really just a gh60 then it should work.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #2153 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 02:13:15 »
Apparently it's different enough that the normal GH60 TMK flashing method won't work.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2154 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 14:20:42 »
I need to make layout for my GH60 with bottom row 1.5u 1u 1.5u 7u 1.5u 1u 1.5u, with split shift and backspace.

Is this the correct way to do so:

Offline jerobifromatcq

« Reply #2155 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 19:24:39 »
I have just purchased a JD40 through mecmarket from somebody who has been using the QMK firmware. Is there any reason why a JD40 would not work with this? Different PCBS, QMK preventing this from working etc? I have used AVR USB for a planck, so dont want to have to learn QMK for this new board.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2156 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 20:25:51 »
I have just purchased a JD40 through mecmarket from somebody who has been using the QMK firmware. Is there any reason why a JD40 would not work with this? Different PCBS, QMK preventing this from working etc? I have used AVR USB for a planck, so dont want to have to learn QMK for this new board.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

The JD40 is supported.  I don't see any reason why QMK would cause any issue.

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2157 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:45:31 »
I have modified easyavr \ firmware content, run run.bat, but the procedure with the previous, should be how to do?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2158 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:53:19 »
I have modified easyavr \ firmware content, run run.bat, but the procedure with the previous, should be how to do?

I can't understand what you're trying to say.

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2159 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 23:49:38 »

I can't understand what you're trying to say.

I modified the keyboard in the console above the name shown, run run.bat, then update to 32u4 inside, but the name is the same as before is easyavr.

In addition, the following three what role, how should the operation? thank you for your help
Compile.bat
Incorporated.bat
Package.bat

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2160 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 18:51:20 »
Well thank god I found this. I really don't fancy using O2D at all.

I will test this out on my Lightsaver V2 some time this week and let you know how it goes.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline mauri

« Reply #2161 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 12:47:22 »
Where exactly do you get custom keys done? It's giving me just the set ansi keys but those won't do.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 May 2017, 13:00:23 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2162 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 13:47:32 »
what?

Offline mauri

« Reply #2163 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 12:07:28 »
what?

I'm trying to make a hex file with the mapper but it seems I'm allowed only to use preset character combos.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2164 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 12:50:39 »
what?

I'm trying to make a hex file with the mapper but it seems I'm allowed only to use preset character combos.
What character do you want to use that you don't have?

Offline mauri

« Reply #2165 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 05:55:26 »
what?

What character do you want to use that you don't have?

For example Caret only comes as a package deal with 6. There no way to assign Caret with another character.

Offline beeull

« Reply #2166 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:49:49 »
If what you're looking to modify is handled by a different language layout than  EN_US, then you're better off adjusting your input language in the OS.

You can however make any key on the keyboard emit caret (key code 6, with mods shift). If you want shift + 6 on your keyboard to do something other than caret, then you'd define an alternate function layer and bind the physical shift to the new logical layer instead of binding physical shift to logical shift (but be aware that your new shift key does not necessarily mean shift any more)

Does that help give you some ideas, or did I create more questions? :)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2167 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:57:54 »
there may be a bit of confusion going on. keyboards don't send characters to the host PC, they send scancodes. the pc interprets scancodes and creates characters.  Caret and 6 are on the same scancode on US keyboards.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #2168 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 22:51:19 »
Does this work with the Zeal60?

Sorry if this was asked before.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2169 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 16:03:50 »
JD40 MkII .. but with a single 6.25U spacebar. I've tried setting the default config "backspace" and "space" both to space but it does not seem to work. Any ideas? I'm guessing i'm just doing something wrong.
-Dana

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2170 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:43:02 »
Does this work with the Zeal60?

Sorry if this was asked before.

Looks like this is not currently supported

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2171 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:44:12 »
JD40 MkII .. but with a single 6.25U spacebar. I've tried setting the default config "backspace" and "space" both to space but it does not seem to work. Any ideas? I'm guessing i'm just doing something wrong.

I don't have enough information to answer this question.  I did not add support for that board because I don't own one.  Someone else did and I assume they tested it.  Does the rest of the keyboard work?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2172 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:22:21 »

I don't have enough information to answer this question.  I did not add support for that board because I don't own one.  Someone else did and I assume they tested it.  Does the rest of the keyboard work?

It seems to, yes. I will pull it apart and see what pin outs go to what and hopefully identify which "space" i'm soldered to.
-Dana

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #2173 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 02:54:01 »
I have a sixkeyboard and got Easy AVR installed on it mostly because I need a nice way to do a repetitive macro: Right click,down,down,enter

But it looks like easy avr does not support macros that use the mouse.

I don't really have a clue what I am doing, python makes me head spin and i've never compiled firmware before (till I made one that temporarily broke my keyboard a few moments ago)

But I was hoping someone could help fill in the gaps.

So, the first part is to get the macro parser to recognize the mouse codes, simple enough.
https://pastebin.com/cnFEURza

But the problem is that (as best I can tell) this all gets saved, and then ran by autokey.c which shoved the codes directly into enqueue_key, which is only made to report about the keyboard.
(I suspected that this means that macros which use the volume commands that should be supported.. would not work, and my tests confirmed that)

So I figured that there is already a good function to pick what device we are talking about, handle_code_actuate, and it can eventually end up with enqueue_key or something more appropriate like set_mousebutton
https://pastebin.com/B4Y9wJ5P

The issue, is that this is all atmel c code now, which did not like compiling.  I was able to switch the board target easily enough, but it is clear that I needed to define __AVR_ATmega16U2__ and BOARD_SIZE_CARD, but I am not really sure how to do this.  The compile.bat is out of date I think, I ended up just manually editing the defines, which gave me a build that does not run.

Hope someone has time to help.
Either way, thanks so much for this software, it's the only reason i got the sixkeyboard.

Edit: I just went and tried from a fresh slate again.  I still don't know where to find these compile defines in visual studio, but manually editing firmware.cproj seemed to do the trick.  Maybe it was just that it wasn't too late at night, but the build is working great for me now.  Right clicks and volume adjustments in a macro are working!
Feel free to use the patches for whatever, i would imagine you would get some interesting results if you made macro 1 call macro 1 inside of it.. but I think for most things, possibly safe from an ignorant perspective. I will be doing some more testing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 June 2017, 19:58:16 by lordgreggreg »

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher, Kentucky USA
    • Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #2174 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 10:41:50 »
Edit: I just went and tried from a fresh slate again.  I still don't know where to find these compile defines in visual studio, but manually editing firmware.cproj seemed to do the trick.  Maybe it was just that it wasn't too late at night, but the build is working great for me now.  Right clicks and volume adjustments in a macro are working!
Feel free to use the patches for whatever, i would imagine you would get some interesting results if you made macro 1 call macro 1 inside of it.. but I think for most things, possibly safe from an ignorant perspective. I will be doing some more testing.
Cool! So the files you've uploaded are updated and working?

Also, does this mean we can get keystrokes for mousewheel scrolling? I have a few apps that only work with those!

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #2175 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 10:47:34 »
Cool! So the files you've uploaded are updated and working?
Yes, good to go
Also, does this mean we can get keystrokes for mousewheel scrolling? I have a few apps that only work with those!
The changes I did just make it so that you can use any of the existing commands (like mouse and media buttons) inside of a macro.  Before, the macro would only work with keyboard keys.

I might look at mouse wheel scrolling.. probably possible, who knows :)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2176 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 12:55:12 »
If you have good patches that you think should be incorporated, you can create a pull request on GitHub

Offline kimusan

• Mechkeys Tech
    • Mechkeys Tech
« Reply #2177 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 06:57:34 »
Trying to use caps-lock as FN toggle (basically toggle FN layer on/off using the caps lock key). I set the key to FN and mode to toggle, but it locks itself into FN layer and never returns on second tap on the capslock key. Is this not possible or ?

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #2178 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 07:09:56 »
Trying to use caps-lock as FN toggle (basically toggle FN layer on/off using the caps lock key). I set the key to FN and mode to toggle, but it locks itself into FN layer and never returns on second tap on the capslock key. Is this not possible or ?

On the second layer, did you set it to take you back to layer 1? Once you toggle into that second layer you'll need a key to toggle back to layer 1, since you'll be in the second layer and the key you programmed is still in the first layer

Offline kimusan

• Mechkeys Tech
    • Mechkeys Tech
« Reply #2179 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 08:03:39 »

On the second layer, did you set it to take you back to layer 1? Once you toggle into that second layer you'll need a key to toggle back to layer 1, since you'll be in the second layer and the key you programmed is still in the first layer
What is the code to go back to default layer? I can only see the FNx in the list but not the default layer.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2180 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 08:16:31 »
What is the code to go back to default layer?
If I recall correctly, if mode is set to Normal, then the Fn layer is momentary, if you let the key up the default layer will be active again. If it is set on toggle, you have to press the Fn key again.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2181 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 08:22:42 »

What is the code to go back to default layer? I can only see the FNx in the list but not the default layer.

If a FN is 'toggle', then to go back to the previous layer you have to hit the same FN key again.  That's why it has to be mapped on both layers.

Offline robicarus

« Reply #2182 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:28:02 »
I'm trying to program my ORI60 without using the sketchy chinese site for configuration. Uploading the bin generated by easyavr causes no keys to work, but using the chinese site works just fine. I am using the ori60.py posted earlier in the thread. Any ideas?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2183 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 01:51:48 »
HELP! Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me out. I've got my latest board put together but have no idea how to compile the layout for firmware. It's a 5x12 matrix.* The Simple Gimp configuration.pdf (1644 kB - downloaded 147 times.)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2184 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:27:51 »
I've got my latest board put together but have no idea how to compile the layout for firmware.
Inside the archive you'll find two files.
The .py goes in C:\Users\_you_\.EasyAVR\boards\
The .dat goes in the Easykeymap root folder.
Make sure you restart the Easykeymap client after you have copied these files.

Also, please note that I know absolutely nothing about Mac OS, so I took a wild guess about mod icons, so please double check them.

I removed LED indicators pins from the config file because I recall you had none on your keyboard, eventually we'll see to add those.

Shouldn't your firmware work, change the strobe_cols and strobe_rows value in the .py files (lines 65 and 69).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2185 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:35:07 »
HELP! Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me out. I've got my latest board put together but have no idea how to compile the layout for firmware. It's a 5x12 matrix. (Attachment Link)
Did you follow the directions for configuring a handwire board?

Offline kurplop

« Reply #2186 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 07:57:56 »
I've got my latest board put together but have no idea how to compile the layout for firmware.
Inside the archive you'll find two files.
The .py goes in C:\Users\_you_\.EasyAVR\boards\
The .dat goes in the Easykeymap root folder.
Make sure you restart the Easykeymap client after you have copied these files.

Also, please note that I know absolutely nothing about Mac OS, so I took a wild guess about mod icons, so please double check them.

I removed LED indicators pins from the config file because I recall you had none on your keyboard, eventually we'll see to add those.

Shouldn't your firmware work, change the strobe_cols and strobe_rows value in the .py files (lines 65 and 69).

WOW! That was quick! I can't express how much I appreciate your doing that for me. My complete lack of understanding of computer language protocol makes me embarrassingly dependent on others in this arena. Thank you.

Would that be necessary in the event that I have the polarity of the diodes reversed?

Did you follow the directions for configuring a handwire board?

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what I did. I basically copied the general routing of traces from other boards I've made in the past.
* The Simple Gimp trace paths8-11.pdf (646.15 kB - downloaded 115 times.)
By the way— Thanks metalliqaz, for providing us with your firmware. You're a real asset to the community

I should be able to get to this after work today.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2187 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 08:04:52 »
WOW! That was quick! I can't express how much I appreciate your doing that for me. My complete lack of understanding of computer language protocol makes me embarrassingly dependent on others in this arena. Thank you.
I admire your creations so allow me to say it was my pleasure.

Would that be necessary in the event that I have the polarity of the diodes reversed?
Most likely, but try the firmware as it is to start.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #2188 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 08:36:10 »
I admire your creations so allow me to say it was my pleasure.

You're very kind to say that. This is so exciting, I may have to cut out of work early today to flash this thing! :thumb:

Offline need

« Reply #2189 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 13:51:52 »
How do I go about changing the Special Config Settings? I'm planning to lower the timing of "Max Hold Time for Tap".

I use the spacebar as Fn while holding it, and I'm not getting spaces pretty often.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 14:14:53 by need »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2190 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 14:50:00 »
How do I go about changing the Special Config Settings? I'm planning to lower the timing of "Max Hold Time for Tap".

I use the spacebar as Fn while holding it, and I'm not getting spaces pretty often.

Cheers!

Map a key to Config console (SCANCODE_CONFIG) in your layout.  Reprogram the keyboard and bring it online.  Place the cursor in Notepad.exe.  Press the CONFIG button.  Follow the prompts.  Remember to exit the menu system before doing other things with your computer.

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #2191 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 23:20:12 »
Hi guys!

I'm a huge newb when it comes to anything programming related but i really wanted to give this a shot. I was thinking about re-programming 1 of my keyboards, most likely my CM QuickFire Rapid because i'm pretty sure that it's fully programmable. The issue is i don't really have an idea on what exactly to do. My objective is to make a hotkey efficient keyboard for Starcraft 1 (Broodwar), what i had in mind was:

To rebind f2, f3 and f4 to Q,W and E // 0 to ` (tilde key, next to 1) // 9 to tab // tab to caps (no need to re-bind caps lock) + a re-toggle command in order to use my normal layout on windows.

I'm gonna try to practice re-programming 1 of my used QuickFire's and see how it goes, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure how to program my regular windows layout to re-toggle, i want to be able to switch back and forth between a regular keyboard layout and my gaming layout.

EDIT: When i try to "Build your firmware into a .hex file (File menu)" i get a message that says: "BOOT key not found, You do not have key bound to BOOT mode. Without it you can't easily reprogram your keyboard. Are you sure this is what you want?".

What's a BOOT key and how do i bind a key to it?

EDIT2: Is it normal that my FN key is called "App" on Quickfire Rapid (Frosty Flake)? I'm not sure how to set my function in order to swap between the 2 layouts. Seems like my fuction key doesnt even work, no matter how many times i go on "App" and try to switch it to Function (by selecting App and hitting the fuction key on my quickfire) nothing happens.

EDIT3: After doing some more research it looks like this is way harder than i originally thought it would be (especially for someone like me who has 0 programming experience). I need to buy a Frosty Flake controller, install it on my QFR, then i need to run the hex file on a virtual box or something. All this is very overwhelming, i assumed that i could just change my keys via Easy AVR program and be done with it haha.

Is there anyone that sells customized QFR re-programmed boards (or any other re-programmed keyboard, it doesnt necessarily have to be a QFR)? I would pay someone for the board + programming the keys the way i want them, it's actually much complicated that i thought it would be. I don't know if any websites or posters offer this kind of service.

I was thinking about buying a Plum 75 nano, is programming that board easier than the AVR method or do i have to do the same thing? I basically just want to be able to run a program and be able to change the keys, not sure if that's possible to do with any keyboard tho.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 00:34:45 by mTwTT1 »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2192 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 03:42:37 »
@mTwTT1:

The QFR is not programmable out of the box so you do need a replacement controller to enable such feature. The Frosty Flake was made by bpiphany and you can buy it  fully soldered directly from him.
Programming the board through EasyAVR is not difficult at all and you can surely find some assistance around here.

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #2193 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:38:12 »
Would it be possible to buy a fully soldered QFR pre programmed by bpiphany as well :D? I'm honestly curious whether or not there are people who offer that service.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:44:34 by mTwTT1 »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2194 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:43:25 »
Would it be possible to buy a fully soldered QFT pre programmed by bpiphany as well :D?
You should ask him but, again, programming a controller with EasyAVR is a quite simple task.

I'm honestly curious whether or not there are people who offer that service tho.
Browse the Artisan Services subforum.

Offline baxuz

« Reply #2195 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:03:08 »
Just programmed a GH60 Satan using AVR, with the following layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/c7f9f0ac904b211ff5861573267cecfe

What's the frequency of the PWM key backlighting? It's flickering visibly, and seems to be ~100hz.

Here's a video taken at 120fps, toggling between 120/60:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eacV2agbdoZI2Wp83
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:10:34 by baxuz »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2196 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 09:51:22 »
Just programmed a GH60 Satan using AVR, with the following layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/c7f9f0ac904b211ff5861573267cecfe

What's the frequency of the PWM key backlighting? It's flickering visibly, and seems to be ~100hz.

Here's a video taken at 120fps, toggling between 120/60:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eacV2agbdoZI2Wp83

Yeah so this has been a quirk right from the start.  The problem is that the same firmware is supposed to work on all kinds of hardware, and hardware makers aren't consistent about how they hook up their backlights.  The result was that I couldn't use the built-in PWM feature of some of the AVRs.  So, instead, it actually tries to PWM in software.  This is much slower.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #2197 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 19:17:44 »
I was referenced to this thread from another (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90248.0) because I used Easy AVR to flash my GH60 RevC, and it's experiencing a problem with right shift. You can read what's in the other thread, but basically the issue is that of the 5 possibly positions around right shift key, only the leftmost and rightmost work. The middle one, between the stabilizer holes, does not. Someone said they had to swap KC_##K3C and KC_##K3D to get their right shift working properly, but I don't even know what those values mean to Easy AVR or where they can be found.
87u || Poker 2

Offline mech0nly

« Reply #2198 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 15:17:18 »
hope easyavr supports leeku pcbs like tx87..
i need NKRO over USB :(

i'm sorry.. i just read from MOZ's post that leeku PCBs are not supported. need to buy USB to PS/2 converter anyway.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2017, 15:27:23 by mech0nly »
356CL DGE | 356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G81-3077SAU | ESA-3000-HASRO | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2 | 55g HHKB

Offline n7

« Reply #2199 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 21:23:36 »
I have a QFR I've been using for a couple years with a Frosty Flake v1. In my layout I had set SCANCODE_ESCGRAVE on tilde, and the normal HID_KEYBOARD_SC_GRAVE_ACCENT_AND_TILDE on escape.

Recently I tried reprogramming my keyboard again, and there appears to be some bugginess with SCANCODE_ESCGRAVE on my board. When I hit the key, the keyboard behaves as though the accent mark is held down, and spams them in output until I press another key.

I have tried setting SCANCODE_ESCGRAVE on other keys, but I still see this behavior.

I am trying to track down the old build of EasyAVR I used to program the board originally, but like I said the last time I messed with it was a few years ago.

Does anyone else have a FFv1 they use more recent builds of EasyAVR with? Would like to get my ESCGRAVE back, since my muscle memory is used to it now :(

EDIT: I have worked around the issue by duplicating the layout to FN3 and assigning FN3 to the right Shift key (essentially, FN3 is the same as default layout with Shift checked for every key, lol)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 21:41:08 by n7 »