Author Topic: [IC] KAT Arctic (GB live!)  (Read 71655 times)

Offline YMwoo

Re: [IC] KAT Arctic
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 03:36:09 »
I don't plan to have any sub legends. I did that with Fuyu already so I'm quite done for it for now.

any plan for alpha in other language then?
my personal ideal set would be mono korean frostbite + ergo snowman

Offline QQuanQuan

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 04:20:33 »
Brilliant!
Huge support from Chinese players.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2020, 04:23:04 by QQuanQuan »

Offline konstanz_

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 07:59:06 »
nice but would be nicer if you did DSA!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 09:35:56 »
No plans to do anything besides Latin and KAT.

Offline 0Name

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 04:10:33 »
Someone kept bugging me to rerun in SA so.. I decided to do KAT.
236051-0

Offline wyrm

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 20:46:48 »
Count me extremely interested, especially if we get beautiful modifiers like arrows for shift and caps. None of the other KAT boards I've seen have had these modifiers =[

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 21:35:22 »
I got the samples in today, will take some photos once I can get some good day light.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 21:35:55 »
I got the samples in today, will take some photos once I can get some good day light.
Awesome. Can't wait!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 11:20:35 »
Nice! Looking forward ;D

Offline deLEES

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 05:36:08 »
Can't wait to see novelties and the icon mods. The colours are great and KAT profile is great so good to go :)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:11:38 »
Lighting is pretty ****, I usually wake up late, and weather hasn't been getting any better but here are some photos before my camera died on me.

It's incredibly much darker in photos than it is in person. The white should be much brighter as well the gray.

**** photo

Also, more kits.

Would also like to thank Eskimojo for the help with the kits. Much much appreciated <3
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:25:16 by Mcnos »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 09:17:45 »
The samples look great!! I'm 100% joining this one for a lot of keys! I'd prefer mykeyboard.eu as the EU vendor :]

Hmm for the Colevrak kit, can I request an ASDF row closing bracket key (])? It's for shifting the right side of the alphas one key to the right, and the brackets to the middle. (http://colemakmods.github.io/ergonomic-mods/wide.html) I'd get the set either way but I'd prefer having the option to do this!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 09:20:12 »
Snowman ortho icon mods and I'm in!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 14:58:01 »
The samples look great!! I'm 100% joining this one for a lot of keys! I'd prefer mykeyboard.eu as the EU vendor :]

Hmm for the Colevrak kit, can I request an ASDF row closing bracket key (])? It's for shifting the right side of the alphas one key to the right, and the brackets to the middle. (http://colemakmods.github.io/ergonomic-mods/wide.html) I'd get the set either way but I'd prefer having the option to do this!

Just some background.  The R3 "]}" is for Wide mod, and is included in the Colevrak+ kits for these KAT sets:  Atlantis, Explosion, Goddess, Lich, Lucky Jade, Mumei, and Oasis.

Wide mod works for QWERTY and all Colevrak+ supported layouts with the exception of Dvorak:

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 15:01:38 »
Lighting is pretty ****, I usually wake up late, and weather hasn't been getting any better but here are some photos before my camera died on me.

It's incredibly much darker in photos than it is in person. The white should be much brighter as well the gray.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

**** photo

Show Image

That's hot ;)

Would also like to thank Eskimojo for the help with the kits. Much much appreciated <3
<3

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 15:06:29 »
FYI: the BRESLAPTIT kit contains the dreaded middot error: the 3. key should be instead.  :thumb:

ALSO: each time I see this set I warm up to its colors a bit more.

Offline Rilow

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 07:41:05 »
Would it be possible to get split spacebars in blue in the spacebar kit?

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 20:25:36 »
Any chance that colevrak kit will also be available in a White on Blue version like the regular alphas?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 01:02:38 »

FYI: the BRESLAPTIT kit contains the dreaded middot error: the 3. key should be instead.  :thumb:

ALSO: each time I see this set I warm up to its colors a bit more.

Just some background.  The R3 "]}" is for Wide mod, and is included in the Colevrak+ kits for these KAT sets:  Atlantis, Explosion, Goddess, Lich, Lucky Jade, Mumei, and Oasis.

Wide mod works for QWERTY and all Colevrak+ supported layouts with the exception of Dvorak:

Show Image

I'm a conus boy so please help out here.

Check these out now

The 3· will be much better in the actual kit renders.

Also if anyone can spot any issues with any of the kits, please point them out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2020, 02:39:22 by Mcnos »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 02:15:53 »

Check these out now

Show Image

Ah, thanks for adding the closing bracket ] key but it's one row too high, it needs to be in what's labelled as R2. The one you added is actually included in regular alphas haha

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 02:37:31 »

Check these out now

Show Image

Ah, thanks for adding the closing bracket ] key but it's one row too high, it needs to be in what's labelled as R2. The one you added is actually included in regular alphas haha

Ah, I'll fix it

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 02:47:22 »

Check these out now

Show Image

I take full responsibility for the confusion.  I forgot that the KAT name for the homing row is R2.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 03:14:40 »
Ah, I'll fix it
Perfect, thanks a lot!

I don't have a great idea that is strictly better than the way the kits are set up right now, but it feels like you could change something about how the spacebars are sold. One observation is that the white 6.25u spacebar is included in almost every mod kit (except ergo blanks), so maybe the 6.25u spacebars could be moved to the alpha kits instead, this way users of blue alphas could get a blue spacebar without buying the extra spacebar kit as well, at least in the 6.25u size.

I think my favourite setup would be:
The white alpha kit contains 6.25u and 7u white spacebars,
the blue alpha kit the same in blue,
the grey mod kits gain 6.25u and 7u (or just 6.25u for 40s mods) spacebars in _grey_ (currently white),
the white mod kit loses its spacebars.

Then, instead of selling extra spacebar kits for blue and grey, those would instead be for blue and white.

What do you think?

Offline VXQN

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 04:43:01 »
The samples look so good! I was about to purchase KAT Lucky Jade as my first KAT Kit, but maybe I'll hold off on that...

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 06:41:52 »

I'll take a full look at the South kit on Saturday.

For now, notice that the Ç legend is weirdly smaller than the rest of the alphas.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 06:42:57 »

Check these out now

Show Image

I take full responsibility for the confusion.  I forgot that the KAT name for the homing row is R2.

This is why I've been suggesting for some time now that row names for the KAT profile ought to be K1..Kn instead of R1..Rn (ok, Rn..R1).

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 07:28:42 »
Ah, I'll fix it
Perfect, thanks a lot!

I don't have a great idea that is strictly better than the way the kits are set up right now, but it feels like you could change something about how the spacebars are sold. One observation is that the white 6.25u spacebar is included in almost every mod kit (except ergo blanks), so maybe the 6.25u spacebars could be moved to the alpha kits instead, this way users of blue alphas could get a blue spacebar without buying the extra spacebar kit as well, at least in the 6.25u size.

I think my favourite setup would be:
The white alpha kit contains 6.25u and 7u white spacebars,
the blue alpha kit the same in blue,
the grey mod kits gain 6.25u and 7u (or just 6.25u for 40s mods) spacebars in _grey_ (currently white),
the white mod kit loses its spacebars.

Then, instead of selling extra spacebar kits for blue and grey, those would instead be for blue and white.

What do you think?

I'll take a full look at the South kit on Saturday.

For now, notice that the Ç legend is weirdly smaller than the rest of the alphas.

I wouldn't look at my KLE kits as a 1:1 with how the keys will actually come out since I'm not the best at using KLE for kits, I try to avoid it usually but theres so many options with KAT.

As much as I would like to add more space bar options, there's just too many combinations I added in to add specific keys to specific kits. I wanted to generally make everything work with each other instead of each kit being the "best" that it can be. I generally don't want to make important kits more expensive than it should be either.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 08:45:02 »
Here are some other shots.

I can't photograph the gray as well as I should be able to, but this gives some sort of idea

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 09:02:14 »
I love these colours! My most anticipated set. Can't wait to have this aaaah

Offline Reiep

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 09:41:57 »
French support, I'm in!

Offline 2obi

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 09:58:23 »
Yup im buying this.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 22:58:20 »
This is why I've been suggesting for some time now that row names for the KAT profile ought to be K1..Kn instead of R1..Rn (ok, Rn..R1).

I agree K# would help clarify things.  But while R# may seem like the default standard, according to Deskthority the ISO standard labels rows alphabetically:

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 11:16:50 »
I love the fact that you have samples in an IC, i'm in on this for sure.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 14:03:08 »
As promised, I went through the international kits, and these are the problems I've found:

Colevrak: no issues.

North: no issues with the alphas.

South:
R4: has its legends misplaced (but you surely know that).
R3: three keys are missing: 2" «» .
R3: [{ is missing.
R2: no missing keys; however, Ñ and Ç have different sizes from each other and from the letters in the base alpha kits.

EDIT: I'm stupid.

French:
R4: The ² key has its sign misplaced (contrast it with the ²³ key, which gets it right).

All three: no AltGr keys?

French and Italian keys: the accented letters are shown in uppercase, although the standards put them in lowercase. This, however, can be waved off as a design choice (and, as things go, I like it better this way, although this DOES require using a smaller font size).

HTH!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 17:40:02 »
Aah I don't think you can call upper case È, É, Ç a style choice for the french set, these keys actually can't produce the upper case symbols, only the lower case ones, so I think labelling them as lower case makes more sense.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 21:05:15 »
As promised, I went through the international kits, and these are the problems I've found:

Colevrak: no issues.

North: no issues with the alphas.

South:
R4: has its legends misplaced (but you surely know that).
R4: three keys are missing: 2" «» .
R3: [{ is missing.
R2: no missing keys; however, Ñ and Ç have different sizes from each other and from the letters in the base alpha kits.

French:
R4: The ² key has its sign misplaced (contrast it with the ²³ key, which gets it right).

All three: no AltGr keys?

French and Italian keys: the accented letters are shown in uppercase, although the standards put them in lowercase. This, however, can be waved off as a design choice (and, as things go, I like it better this way, although this DOES require using a smaller font size).

HTH!

As for the uppercase and lowercase scenario, it's going to stay as is to keep the legends uniform to each other in the alpha kit.

and is AltGr actually preferred for people?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 21:39:30 »
Oh this is sweet! I so love seeing samples before this goes live. Great job, will totally be in as I missed the JTK version right as I was coming into the hobby. :thumb:

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 05:43:35 »
As for the uppercase and lowercase scenario, it's going to stay as is to keep the legends uniform to each other in the alpha kit.

Maybe rethink this, it's not as consistent as you think. Again, the ç key on a french keyboard never prints Ç, with shift it prints 9 instead. And you're not using capital Mu, which is M, but μ, and you're not using ẞ, but ß, so making an exception by using the capital letters on the french accented keys actually introduces more inconsistency.

Personally, I'd always use AltGr if given the opportunity, and I'd actually welcome it if one of the 2 Alts in the base mods was replaced with AltGr, since I use AltGr but not other language-specific keys (like the Dutch also do, for example).

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 05:50:02 »
Maybe rethink this, it's not as consistent as you think. Again, the ç key on a french keyboard never prints Ç, with shift it prints 9 instead. And you're not using capital Mu, which is M, but μ, and you're not using ẞ, but ß, so making an exception by using the capital letters on the french accented keys actually introduces more inconsistency.
μ is actually µ and therefore shouldn't have been placed in uppercase. I'll explain:

μ (U+03BC) is the Greek lowercase letter mu (from which the Latin letter m was derived).
µ (U+00B5) is the "micro" (10^-6) symbol (which is DERIVED from the letter mu, of course).

French keyboards (and German keyboards, too) have the micro symbol, not the mu letter.

And yes, in some fonts, both characters look the same... others take care to make them a bit different, so you can tell which is which.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 05:53:07 »
Oops, I stand corrected on this one!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 05:59:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

See my "EDIT: I'm stupid." edit in my previous post. Sorry.

AltGr is required for... pretty much all non-English(USA) national layouts.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 06:01:38 »
Aah I don't think you can call upper case È, É, Ç a style choice for the french set, these keys actually can't produce the upper case symbols, only the lower case ones, so I think labelling them as lower case makes more sense.

You're right. The real problem with the French and Italian national layouts is, of course, the bad functional design choice of mixing letters with other signs.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 06:08:58 »

You're right. The real problem with the French and Italian national layouts is, of course, the bad functional design choice of mixing letters with other signs.
just make the entire set lowercase, ez  :cool:

Offline Varbil

• Danish 19 y/o that likes keebs :)
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 06:11:03 »
when will this gb start? can't wait!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 06:23:46 »
Eh

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 08:47:52 »

just make the entire set lowercase, ez  :cool:

So the ARCTIC would become arctic?

Damn climate change...

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 04:51:39 »
Everyone seems stoked about this.
So the GB will kickoff soon — ish? ;D

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 22:57:18 »
Everyone seems stoked about this.
So the GB will kickoff soon — ish? ;D

Yes, it’s right under our noses, across the horizon on the closest month coming up starting with M

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 01:54:28 »
Mapril can't come soon enough!

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 12:27:39 »
Mapril can't come soon enough!

Let's get through smarch weather first, please.