Author Topic: HHKB and The KMAC HAPPY  (Read 5426 times)

Offline EvilHMB

HHKB and The KMAC HAPPY
« on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:18:13 »
Does anybody know if there is a way to fit the HHKB into the Kmac Happy? http://kbdmod.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=15&cate_no=4&display_group=1

worse case scenario.. remove the metal frame plate and cut up the plastic HHKB board till it fits ._.;

DasKeyboard4Professional   KBTalking Pro              HHKB Professional
( Blue Switches)                  ( Red Switches)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: HHKB and The KMAC HAPPY
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:19:16 »
:facepalm:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:20:04 »
The HHKB does not have a plate, and as a result, needs a top case to hold the sliders. So unfortunately, it will not.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:20:12 »
That strikes me as a pretty bad worst case, brother.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:20:54 »
:facepalm:

Come on, give him the benefit of the doubt haha. First post.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 03:29:27 »
The HHKB does not have a plate, and as a result, needs a top case to hold the sliders. So unfortunately, it will not.

I know the HHKB doesn't have a metal plate, I was referring to the Kmac's plate that holds the switches. I was thinking of modified topre switches to make it fit (maybe steal the realforce ones if they're the same size as the hhkb's.) @_@;  or use the HHKB's original plastic housing and shave it to fit. I posted this up was because I don't know the dimensions of the Kmac happy and i'd like a metal housed hhkb topre keyboard. (theres always the digilog and larger real force setup that I see around)

(if the interior is too small theres always the ghetto option of cutting out an acrylic layer lol.)

Obviously the topre keys have a different thickness and there is a controller (i'd live without the USB) and I wouldnt be able to use a different pcb since the torpe boards close in the center via springs. Bleh @_@:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/mikelanding/HHKB%20O%20Ring%20Mod/oring6.jpg

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 03:38:37 by EvilHMB »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 07:07:24 »

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:41:29 »
rofl  =.=; if only that wasnt sucha  rare find let alone like probably worth way more than 4 grand now

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:43:17 »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:49:25 »
i have never even heard of alu body HHKB. gotta believe those are expensive on the aftermarket...
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:44:57 »
We just need to get the HHKB Pro HG

http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/hhkbprohg/externals.html

http://pinchocodia.tistory.com/156

Beautiful case, but the top piece.. Looks like a huge video game controller L and R buttons. LOL Dont like those one bit. But I do like the red pegs on them. :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:48:40 by dustinhxc »

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:05:49 »
From what I understand, the issue with custom topre keyboards is not the plate mount / switch housing, but the PCB itself. Custom capacative/topre PCB != MX PCB.

Now that I think about it, what's stopping us from using a HHKB PCB with a custom case+plate? (besides cost)
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:13:45 »
From what I understand, the issue with custom topre keyboards is not the plate mount / switch housing, but the PCB itself. Custom capacative/topre PCB != MX PCB.

Now that I think about it, what's stopping us from using a HHKB PCB with a custom case+plate? (besides cost)

The actual issue is that, like buckling springs, Topre switches are not discrete units. In contrast to MX and Alps switches, you can't just design a 2D plate with holes to mount the switches. The custom PCB would require capacitive pads, rather than holes for switch pins to be soldered into.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 20:50:29 »

well from what I understand the PCB of the topre loop is closed in the center by the spring
 Realforce spring image:http://i.imgur.com/gHVVKI0.gif

the other pcbs have a hole for the cherry switches  and the loop closes in one of the corners.

Right now I'm just hoping the cm storm novatouch will be popular enough for the topre switches to be sold alone.
I'd also like to see them before or at keycon >:(
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 20:52:36 by EvilHMB »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 20:56:47 »

The actual issue is that, like buckling springs, Topre switches are not discrete units. In contrast to MX and Alps switches, you can't just design a 2D plate with holes to mount the switches. The custom PCB would require capacitive pads, rather than holes for switch pins to be soldered into.

Actually, you would just need to secure the PCB and then have your tolerances so tight that the top case holding the sliders was perfectly aligned over the tops of the domes. Once you have the domes aligned with the sliders, as long as you have your top and bottom case within tight enough tolerances, you should be able to have a fully functional case.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:01:42 »

well from what I understand the PCB of the topre loop is closed in the center by the spring

the other pcbs have a hole for the cherry switches  and the loop closes in one of the corners.

Right now I'm just hoping the cm storm novatouch will be popular enough for the topre switches to be sold alone.

There are no topre switches to be sold alone, I don't understand what your getting at. The plunger, dome, spring and PCB are all integral to each other in order to function.

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 22:25:03 »

There are no topre switches to be sold alone, I don't understand what your getting at. The plunger, dome, spring and PCB are all integral to each other in order to function.

=.=; man you must like hate me or something lol, I know they aren't sold alone (aside from keychains luls) ... i meant I was hoping topre keys were popular enough to be sold alone after the Novatouch's release...
also I understand how it works.. but its still a switch you could always destroy the original plastic shell top/cover and mount it on; if you cant retrofit the switches alone using additional plastic and super glue/ epoxy (the kind that melts plastic together...) and  some sand paper o.o; Just a thought.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:27:40 »

=.=; man you must like hate me or something lol, I know they aren't sold alone (aside from keychains luls) ... i meant I was hoping topre keys were popular enough to be sold alone after the Novatouch's release...
also I understand how it works.. but its still a switch you could always destroy the original plastic shell top/cover and mount it on; if you cant retrofit the switches alone using additional plastic and super glue/ epoxy (the kind that melts plastic together...) and  some sand paper o.o; Just a thought.

No hate bro just completely don't see what your talking about but its ok. :thumb:

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 09:19:46 »
:(.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 09:25:31 »
Creating a standalone Topre switch-containing unit is most likely possible. But it would increase manufacturing costs dramatically. And as it stands, Topre isn't cheap in the first place. And anyway, there isn't a need for it. Nothing changes drastically between one switch weight and another. There is a spring to actuate (nothing to do with the force) and a dome (which provides all the force). If you wanted to switch to something else, you just swap a dome.

Look at this album and see if you understand how it works as opposed to other switches: http://imgur.com/a/eI8Il

Spamray was not trying to hate on you, merely inform you of your misconceptions.

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:18:21 »
Creating a standalone Topre switch-containing unit is most likely possible. But it would increase manufacturing costs dramatically. And as it stands, Topre isn't cheap in the first place. And anyway, there isn't a need for it. Nothing changes drastically between one switch weight and another. There is a spring to actuate (nothing to do with the force) and a dome (which provides all the force). If you wanted to switch to something else, you just swap a dome.

Look at this album and see if you understand how it works as opposed to other switches: http://imgur.com/a/eI8Il

Spamray was not trying to hate on you, merely inform you of your misconceptions.

That was what I was trying to get at. I understand how it works as I mentioned it earlier.

I just wanted an metal housing for my HHKB.  But these images do help greatly. If the stabilizers in the realforce or Novatouch (when it comes out looks like its part of the frame though :() are similar to the HHKB's I don't see why I couldn't just steal them and refit them to a cut out.

1) Remove the HHKB's top shell cut, shave, melt, mold, and sand the edges then mount it to an aluminum housing like the kmac's (since the Stabilizer is the top frame itself)
[some exacto knives, dremel, plastic melting superglue, sand paper and some plastic spacers incase the controller doesnt fit]

2) Steal the Stabilizers from the realforce, sell the HHKB shell, measure and make my own cut out to hold the realforce stabilizers. and remount it in the aluminum housing and just add a layer if there isnt enough spacing. The kmac uses m3 or m2 screws in bot directions so I could just add a spacer layer (ghetto acrylic and paint)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:46:43 »
You should try it. I would say go into it expecting to take a loss on at least one HHKB. But if you get it up and running, you'd be a hero here to those who wish to have an aluminum-cased HHKB.

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:35:06 »
I'll try it after keycon hopefully i can find something there D:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:37:05 »
If you're expecting to find like Realforce or Topre to be selling something limited at Keycon, you might be disappointed. I'm not sure how many vendors are going to be there at all.

You should try it. I would say go into it expecting to take a loss on at least one HHKB. But if you get it up and running, you'd be a hero here to those who wish to have an aluminum-cased HHKB.

This project seems worth a shot if you think it's worth investing in EvilHMB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:41:50 by CPTBadAss »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:51:49 »
Honestly, not even about investing in him, but he got me thinking if you're willing to destroy a HHKB and buy a KMAC Happy, it might work. Am I willing to put that much money in? Nah, I'm happy with my HHKB as it is.

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 14:09:46 »
I'm not really too sure what to expect honestly, but i'm sure there will be people wanting to sell or trade their boards. To say the least, I hope to find some nice keycaps.

lol, well to each his own. I mean it wouldn't be expensive as the elusive gold dusted HHKB haha. I can ebay the left over parts. (kmac pcb if i cant get it w/o it)