Author Topic: Vortex Aluminum Case Universal/Phantom Plate Adapters (Filco, QFR and?)  (Read 8357 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Added by moderator per Leslieann's request: "These are now available to self print here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100595.0"

Just some strips that allow you to run a universal plate inside a Vortex aluminum case, rather than the stock steel plate.

If your TKL keyboard can fit a universal plate, you can probably get it to work in the Vortex case with these adapters. See the second post for more info.

Colors in stock: (not that you can see them when assembled)
Black
Candy Red
Candy Green

Price is $15 to the U.S and E.U. (shipping is included), payable through Pay Pal.
PM me with your order and I will send you the pay pal address or send you an invoice if you want.

Package will come in a flat envelope, with 10 pieces, you need 4 across the front, and 5 across the back. There is one extra in case something happens such as a bad print, shipping problems, whatever, I run them in batches of 10. If something does happen though, just let me know, but even if they break, they would probably still work.

This is not the case, this is not the plate, these are only adapters to allow you to use the universal plate with the Vortex case.
Be aware that you will need to de-solder every switch in order to install your plate, I cannot fix that.
If you do not have a universal plate, you will need to acquire one from a group buy or from someone selling one.

The adapters, simple, but more than just a strip.

Installed on a PCB, they slide in between the plate and PCB, holding them in place.

Installed in the case

Directions:
This requires de-soldering your switches. If you cannot handle it, there are people here who can do it for you for a fee. Push the adapters between the plate and PCB along the top and bottom edges. The lip, visible when looking down the length of the adapter, points down, away from the plate. This lifts the PCB up a bit, and allows for some compression while tightening the top plate down.

Along the top, slide in 5 pieces. Along the bottom, put one to the left of the spacebar, one centered  under it, and two to the right of it. Take note of where the stabilizer mounts are as the adapters need to straddle them. When you insert the assembly into the case, you may have to fiddle with things to get everything settled properly into place as it's a pretty tight fit, so make sure they are tucked in as far in as they can go. Don't be afraid to use the top plate and bolts to pull the assembly down in once partly in, just beware of warping the top plate if you do it unevenly. Pretty simple, just fickle. Bolt everything up tight and enjoy.

Note that the gap between the top and the base can be larger or smaller because the plastic has some compression. Just make sure it's even. However too small can cause the pcb to ground itself against the case, causing odd keystrokes. This is not an adapter issue, it's a Vortex issue as some have experienced with the stock plate as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2019, 20:08:39 by Photoelectric »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Vortex Aluminum Case Universal/Phantom Plate Adapters (Filco, QFR and?)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:45:56 »
Other boards may work, however they need to fit the universal plates offered on various group buys here.
Another issue, is depth, there is only so much room in the Vortex case. You may need to check that everything clears.

Phantoms will not fit due to space.

Updated to reflect new information.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2013, 07:01:52 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline gnubag

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 04:26:24 »
The plate needs to be the same size as a Filco plate, which is 348mm wide x 128mm tall. I suspect you could probably get a Ducky and a few others to work.

AFAIK Ducky plates have the right bend but are a little too long (like 1-2mm).
Leopold plates have the bend upwards and even with these adapters the top cover would not fit.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 06:54:32 »
The plate needs to be the same size as a Filco plate, which is 348mm wide x 128mm tall. I suspect you could probably get a Ducky and a few others to work.

AFAIK Ducky plates have the right bend but are a little too long (like 1-2mm).
Leopold plates have the bend upwards and even with these adapters the top cover would not fit.
That's only if you try to stick a Ducky plate into the case. I wasn't sure if they had a bend or not.

On the other hand, if either the Ducky or Leopold fits a universal plate, it will work with these adapters and case. The only question now is if the pcb will physically fit inside. Phantoms will not due to the electronics hanging down.

Thanks for the info, I updated the first and second post to better reflect this and included the added info.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2013, 07:02:42 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 17:21:26 »
I'm tentatively interested, but I don't own a Vortex case.  Waiting on Pexon's findings about him possibly offering a batch of Vortex cases.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 21:28:11 »
I'm tentatively interested, but I don't own a Vortex case.  Waiting on Pexon's findings about him possibly offering a batch of Vortex cases.
+1

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 20:29:30 »
Nice.  I was going to try and construct my own adapter out of wire but this is much better.  I'm in.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 02:54:54 »
Nice.  I was going to try and construct my own adapter out of wire but this is much better.  I'm in.
Yeah, I looked at wood and wire, and such, these are way easier to work with.

Been using mine nearly 2 months, working great.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 06:59:36 »
For  those with orders, they're ready, I just need to get to the post office, this week has been crazy.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 21:09:53 »
Just wanted to stop in and say that I've put these to good use and I'm very happy with them.

I've actually got myself a Phantom and I did fit it into the Vortex case... more or less.  It is pretty close.  The top isn't quite screwed in all the way.
The Teensy doesn't really have anywhere to go.  Likewise down on the Space/Mods row, the leads themselves would touch the bottom of the case.
Without any room for a pad, I prevented electric chaos with a paper bag...

37615-0