Author Topic: Scanning a document, filling it in + printing  (Read 1810 times)

Offline skyblue

Scanning a document, filling it in + printing
« on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 15:44:00 »
SUP GEEKHACKERS,

This is the only real 'tech' forums I frequent so I thought I would post this here.

I have to deal with a lot of work-related forms and rather than fill them out by hand I would rather type (duh!) in the required info and print it out.

So:

1) I have hard copies of the form that I've scanned to my PC (image format)

2) I'm looking for a way to type in the info, then have it print onto the hardcopies that are loaded into the printer.

Is this even possible? Does anyone know how I can make this happen? Thanks for any help!
Das Professional S | Filco Majestouch-2 104

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 15:52:48 »
Use a layered image format in your image editor of choice. Print the text on a separate layer from the scan of the document. There will surely be some tweaking to get everything to scale, but that should only be the first couple of tries.

Offline skyblue

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:00:02 »
Thanks Valium, do you have any recommendation for a simple image editor?

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:03:10 »
Gimp, perhaps not simple but it is free and usually does what I need it to, and is available for Linux (and Windows too!).

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 03:40:32 »
Quote from: skyblue;404097
Thanks Valium, do you have any recommendation for a simple image editor?

I use paint.net for this very purpose.

Btw i prefer to have the scanned form saved on my pc then place the text on it with paint.net and print directly on a white sheet
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline nrd

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:22:25 »
Quote from: skyblue;404070
I'm looking for a way to type in the info, then have it print onto the hardcopies that are loaded into the printer.

Is this even possible? Does anyone know how I can make this happen? Thanks for any help!
The most versatile solution would be to use Word (or a similar word processor) and create a template for each of your forms by adding pre-formatted text boxes on a blank page (where your text should go on the form after printing). Then fill your details in and print it directly onto the actual form. That way you only have to set it up once and you can format every part of your form details to your liking (different fonts, sizes, weights, ...) and then just re-use the whole thing everytime you have to fill out the same form again.

Depending on how complex the forms are (and how many/how often you have to fill them out) that's what I'd do. If it's just a simple form (and/or you don't have to do it often), doing it with an image editor might be quicker.

Offline skyblue

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 17:57:13 »
Quote from: nrd;404343
The most versatile solution would be to use Word (or a similar word processor) and create a template for each of your forms by adding pre-formatted text boxes on a blank page (where your text should go on the form after printing). Then fill your details in and print it directly onto the actual form. That way you only have to set it up once and you can format every part of your form details to your liking (different fonts, sizes, weights, ...) and then just re-use the whole thing everytime you have to fill out the same form again.

Depending on how complex the forms are (and how many/how often you have to fill them out) that's what I'd do. If it's just a simple form (and/or you don't have to do it often), doing it with an image editor might be quicker.

This sounds like it'll be an easier long-term solution.. Is there a way to use the scanned form as a "back drop" in Word so I know exactly where to put the text boxes?

Offline nrd

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 06:00:37 »
Yes, I'm not sure what it's called in English (using the German version atm), but in the menu bar you should have something like "Page Layout" → "Page Color" → "Fill Effects" and there you should find a "Picture" tab where you can select a file from your PC to use as the page background.

Might be hidden in a different menu if you're using an older version of Word, but the functionality should exist in pretty much all versions back to Word 97 or so.