Author Topic: [IC] Orange75 & Orange Pad (GB open)  (Read 34005 times)

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
Re: [IC] Orange75 & Orange Pad
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 09:26:02 »
I think they're all great designs.
I've definitely got a place in my colllection for the Type 2 with indicators in green.

Offline braidn

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 09:58:45 »
Totally dig the design but, for some reason I love a separator between the last row and the enter row. When they are conjoined like this I have a tendency to miss the backspace/enter and hit page up and down. Overall like the direction here though, kudos!

Offline tommyonsn

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 10:05:20 »
when open to buy?
翻译过来就是“啥时候开”?

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 12:49:47 »
Very nice design!

Hope the numpad logo is a bit smaller or subtle.

Looking forward to seeing final colors and pricing.

Are you based in DC?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 12:51:31 »
https://i.imgur.com/Q8hOZ6G.jpg

the indicators look perfect here

Offline FSund

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 13:21:59 »
I'm more of a 66% guy myself, but that numpad looks tempting.

The numpad looks a bit unbalanced with all that empty space on the top. What about having a full row of 4 keys, instead of the single key at the top? Would be useful for macro keys etc.

The all brass numpad sounds very interesting!
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 14:22:02 »
did we ever get any info on if they be a bundle buy only or if they could be gotten independently? Also I wouldn't mind seeing some other color options. Those colors are nice but been hankering for a more deep saturated colors .... thought that white with orange/brass plate would be very very tempting or maybe reversed orange with white plate...

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 15:21:51 »
Totally dig the design but, for some reason I love a separator between the last row and the enter row. When they are conjoined like this I have a tendency to miss the backspace/enter and hit page up and down. Overall like the direction here though, kudos!

Basically the current layout is 65% (e.g. whitefox, canoe) + function keys. All 65% keyboards have the same problem you mentioned.

I've considered this issue and made some layouts like this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/c0fe330a176b29b97756d065f040d828

My final decision is just to keep the layout as is since 65% layout is more compact and well accepted in the community. You can get along with it after you use it for a while.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 15:24:00 »
when open to buy?
翻译过来就是“啥时候开”?

If the prototypes look good to me, hopefully, this month.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 15:27:03 »
Very nice design!

Are you based in DC?

Thanks!

northern VA actually

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 15:31:13 »
I'm more of a 66% guy myself, but that numpad looks tempting.

The numpad looks a bit unbalanced with all that empty space on the top. What about having a full row of 4 keys, instead of the single key at the top? Would be useful for macro keys etc.

The all brass numpad sounds very interesting!

That's a good idea. We may provide two versions of numpad. One with nameplate and another w/o. We haven't decided yet since most people are more interested in Orange75

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 15:36:54 »
did we ever get any info on if they be a bundle buy only or if they could be gotten independently? Also I wouldn't mind seeing some other color options. Those colors are nice but been hankering for a more deep saturated colors .... thought that white with orange/brass plate would be very very tempting or maybe reversed orange with white plate...

can be gotten independently for certain. There will be a lot of options with low/no MOQ.

I'll update photos for real color samples after the prototypes are finished.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 16:42:19 »
I told myself I was only going to get 3 more boards this year. I may have to change that rule. I really like the look of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 22:11:35 »
Very nice design!

Are you based in DC?

Thanks!

northern VA actually

Same here! Were you at the last DC meetup? You should come to the next one.

Will send a PM

Offline Trente

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 22:32:12 »
I think both the indicator light on top right corner, or two extra key after F12 are good choice. Really looking forward to this for my first 75%

Offline PhantomTaco

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 02:06:59 »
Will there be any way to angle this board?

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 04:54:20 »
Will there be any way to angle this board?

When I want to angle my orang80, I use 6 degree riser wedges (Bolzen 85a). It's basically a soft rubber wedge that fits under the back of the board.

Offline Jimmare

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 15:08:38 »
Made an account just to post on this thread. I love it. I love there's a matching numpad so you can buy the whole set and it'll look good. Also last gb was on 290 which is pretty awesome to say the least.

But i have a few questions :

Will this round come with the suitcase as well? First round was AWESOME and it's literally half the reason i wanna join in. The other half is the matching numpad.

Also, can we get an acrylic diffuser? It's top and bottom so with the right rgb when soldering,i think we could do it right?

And last thing, you said on the previous GB post that it didnt have numbers : ''We didn't print numbers on the nameplate of founder editions. They were printed Orange in place. We didn't make it right because the technician was tired with the tons of options of small order. ''

Does that mean on this GB, could get a small plate on the bottom of the keyboard to state the number of the keyboard e.g. 23/50? And add the orange on the numpad. I think that would be PRETTY good but again,might add up to the whole cost. I'll probably join unless the price is to huge in comparison to the previous GB. Damn,this looks so exciting. Especially when letting the community decide.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 21:35:45 »
Made an account just to post on this thread. I love it. I love there's a matching numpad so you can buy the whole set and it'll look good. Also last gb was on 290 which is pretty awesome to say the least.

But i have a few questions :

Will this round come with the suitcase as well? First round was AWESOME and it's literally half the reason i wanna join in. The other half is the matching numpad.

Also, can we get an acrylic diffuser? It's top and bottom so with the right rgb when soldering,i think we could do it right?

And last thing, you said on the previous GB post that it didnt have numbers : ''We didn't print numbers on the nameplate of founder editions. They were printed Orange in place. We didn't make it right because the technician was tired with the tons of options of small order. ''

Does that mean on this GB, could get a small plate on the bottom of the keyboard to state the number of the keyboard e.g. 23/50? And add the orange on the numpad. I think that would be PRETTY good but again,might add up to the whole cost. I'll probably join unless the price is to huge in comparison to the previous GB. Damn,this looks so exciting. Especially when letting the community decide.

• Q: "Will this round come with the suitcase as well?" A: haven't decided yet. Adding a suitcase will increase the price and the shipping. I hope to keep the price as low as possible.
  • Q: "can we get an acrylic diffuser?" A: no, and I'm not sure if you can add RGB LED strips on the bottom. I know QMK PCBs are easy to add but this is not QMK
  • No numbers. They are meaningless and troublesome to engrave.
  • Price: Orange 75 should be at the same or lower price as Orange TKL. Adding a numpad will bring the price much higher tho. I guess not too many people want the numpad but I'd like to provide it to those who need it. Again I hate R2, so don't miss any keyboards from me when they are available!

Offline Jimmare

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:43:01 »
I was talking about a side rgb,but still, it's all good. If the suitcase brought the 80% up to 290,im imagining without it,it'd be one of the cheapest GBs ever made (on a high end keyboard) so sounds awesome.

Good luck with the gb tho, i'll keep an eye for when it finally starts. :D

Offline FSund

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 01:08:56 »
I know QMK PCBs are easy to add but this is not QMK
What firmware will you be using?
Will the keyboard be programmable?

Offline lovetree

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 01:28:00 »

Orange80 adopted Bootmapper.
Orange75 and pad might be as well.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:42:52 »
If they can be tastefully daisychained I'm very interested.
If I need to run two separate USB cables (or a hub or whatever) I'm very not interested.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:41:39 »
I was talking about a side rgb

I know what you mean. Side RGBs are always on the bottom of the PCB, I mean.

My point is 32A PCB is not easy to add RGB as 32u4 PCBs. 

Orange80 adopted Bootmapper.
Orange75 and pad might be as well.

This

Offline BDhoel

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:54:01 »
Can we atleast make a vote for QMK or bootmapper PCB? I really want the PCB to be powered by QMK

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:19:07 »
Can we atleast make a vote for QMK or bootmapper PCB? I really want the PCB to be powered by QMK
+1 for qmk

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:00:45 »

why not both?

For 40% keyboards I'll only use QMK. For keyboards larger than 60% I think the difference is not huge.

I'd like to provide both anyway.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:13:37 »

why not both?

For 40% keyboards I'll only use QMK. For keyboards larger than 60% I think the difference is not huge.

Best reason for me personally about QMK over bootmapper is RGB control and click vs press and hold programming of keys. Otherwise no difference for me. If no underglow, not really a huge reason for qmk especially if it cuts cost.

Just my 0.02.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:25:23 »

Best reason for me personally about QMK over bootmapper is RGB control and click vs press and hold programming of keys. Otherwise no difference for me. If no underglow, not really a huge reason for qmk especially if it cuts cost.

Just my 0.02.

Yes, that's what I thought. I won't use a keyboard if it can't output ~ or ` within two keystrokes/presses. Orange75 already has a lot of keys and doesn't have RGB LEDs. Dual-role keys and tap dance are more important on small keyboards (40% or 50%).

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:57:02 »
I am not sure if this helps are not but as far as 75% keyboard's go. I personally only add in a delete key and call it finished. I don't see where they need a lot of layers and off the wall programming to be useful. The same goes for my 60% board it has one layer setup with F-Row, Arrows, ` and delete. That is it I don't see why on larger keyboard's you need a overly complicated process to program with. The one thing I do like about QMK is the easy of programming using the website. Otherwise its not a big deal... and never played with bootloader but perhaps its just as simple?

Offline FSund

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 03:42:35 »

why not both?

Support for both QMK and Bootmapper would be great.

Offline FSund

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 03:45:23 »
I guess not too many people want the numpad but I'd like to provide it to those who need it.

I'm interested in just the numpad, so I hope it will be possible to buy only that. If the all-brass version is not too expensive I will definitely be going for that.

Offline WhitePlate

• First Grader of Nobody
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 15:19:31 »
looks great,  would be interested in a top without the blocker though

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 15:53:24 »
Hi Senter - I was one of the buyers of the first Orange 80 TKL, and am really happy you are working on 75% kit also!

I have read your comments on design decisions to keep F-row separated and staggered and that you don't want it to be symmetrical. However, one of the main reasons I like 75% and 80% layouts is because I use nav keys and DELETE a lot on daily basis. The Delete key on the top right corner is one of the main reasons I prefer 75% as my main layout, and with that space being left empty for indicators/badge/empty space it is a deal-breaker for me, and I will have to pass. This makes me sad because I would love to have another Orange, and the first GB you did went so smoothly and quickly with relatively few issues. If there is any way for you to consider a design for top plate that will allow for top right corner key, I am 99% in.

I know that you had too many design options for the original Orange 80 GB, with small blocker, large blocker, and no blockers with many anodization and name plate options, and that caused some trouble and you want to keep things simpler. Is there any way you would consider multiple options for top plate/case with one for a Delete key, and one with indicators/blank space? It could be same PCB design but only require different top case design option. EDIT: If you shifted the F-row blocks to the left by .25/.5u, I would suggest maybe doing a matching metal blocker/badge that could fit in the space for the delete key if not used, and if user wanted delete key they would leave off the blocker/badge. (ex: https://imgur.com/a/W3001)

I would also suggest keeping the design from Orange 80 and give option to have name/engraved accent badge on top left corner. I think this gives a really nice option to completely personalize and gives consistency to the Orange design "family". Maybe also consider the same on numpad.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:12:10 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 19:18:20 »
Hi Senter - I was one of the buyers of the first Orange 80 TKL, and am really happy you are working on 75% kit also!

I have read your comments on design decisions to keep F-row separated and staggered and that you don't want it to be symmetrical. However, one of the main reasons I like 75% and 80% layouts is because I use nav keys and DELETE a lot on daily basis. The Delete key on the top right corner is one of the main reasons I prefer 75% as my main layout, and with that space being left empty for indicators/badge/empty space it is a deal-breaker for me, and I will have to pass. This makes me sad because I would love to have another Orange, and the first GB you did went so smoothly and quickly with relatively few issues. If there is any way for you to consider a design for top plate that will allow for top right corner key, I am 99% in.

I know that you had too many design options for the original Orange 80 GB, with small blocker, large blocker, and no blockers with many anodization and name plate options, and that caused some trouble and you want to keep things simpler. Is there any way you would consider multiple options for top plate/case with one for a Delete key, and one with indicators/blank space? It could be same PCB design but only require different top case design option. EDIT: If you shifted the F-row blocks to the left by .25/.5u, I would suggest maybe doing a matching metal blocker/badge that could fit in the space for the delete key if not used, and if user wanted delete key they would leave off the blocker/badge. (ex: https://imgur.com/a/W3001)

I would also suggest keeping the design from Orange 80 and give option to have name/engraved accent badge on top left corner. I think this gives a really nice option to completely personalize and gives consistency to the Orange design "family". Maybe also consider the same on numpad.

Hi Zuology, thanks for your suggestions. I remember everyone's id in Orange TKL group buy. I really appreciate your support for Orange TKL and now the opinions on Orange75.

You have read my comments so you know I have my reasons to keep the layout as is. There are several 75% keyboard projects out there and most of them have that key on top right corner. To be honest, I'm not doing it differently in purpose. I've considered many layouts and the current two layouts are the ones I love most. The original plan was to provide both of them. As very few people showed interests in layout 1, the current plan is to only provide type 2. The more I look at type 2, I love it more. I will provide type 2 for sure.

As I mentioned, there are several other 75% keyboards are in the IC stage (SKBXX, SINGA, and Xeno) and they all have a top right key. I'm mostly interested in exploring more options and increasing the diversity, so I'm not interested in making a same layout as theirs. I suggest you to support their projects if you want a 75% keyboard and you need that key.

I'm planing to use orange75 as my new daily driver. For me, F12 is in the perfect position since I always bind my terminal window to F12. I won't set the right 4 keys as home, end, pgup, and pgdn. I may set the top right key to Delete and the below three keys as 'display all windows', 'change to left workspace', and 'change to the right workspace'. You can also have a Delete key if you do it in a similar manner.

I will consider your suggestion on the badge.

Offline Harms

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 20:01:26 »

Hi Zuology, thanks for your suggestions. I remember everyone's id in Orange TKL group buy. I really appreciate your support for Orange TKL and now the opinions on Orange75.

You have read my comments so you know I have my reasons to keep the layout as is. There are several 75% keyboard projects out there and most of them have that key on top right corner. To be honest, I'm not doing it differently in purpose. I've considered many layouts and the current two layouts are the ones I love most. The original plan was to provide both of them. As very few people showed interests in layout 1, the current plan is to only provide type 2. The more I look at type 2, I love it more. I will provide type 2 for sure.

As I mentioned, there are several other 75% keyboards are in the IC stage (SKBXX, SINGA, and Xeno) and they all have a top right key. I'm mostly interested in exploring more options and increasing the diversity, so I'm not interested in making a same layout as theirs. I suggest you to support their projects if you want a 75% keyboard and you need that key.

I'm planing to use orange75 as my new daily driver. For me, F12 is in the perfect position since I always bind my terminal window to F12. I won't set the right 4 keys as home, end, pgup, and pgdn. I may set the top right key to Delete and the below three keys as 'display all windows', 'change to left workspace', and 'change to the right workspace'. You can also have a Delete key if you do it in a similar manner.

I will consider your suggestion on the badge.
Personally I like it that there is no extra key on the far top right and there is more bezel :).

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 20:34:16 »
Fox I had a suggestion for the layout and design on Design 2. I noticed that it would have a single cap locks LED from what you linked. I would like to see a Cap, Scrolls, lock LED at least. I would suggest perhaps stacking the LED's Vertically on the Brazil next to the F-Key's or perhaps placing them on the blocker down by the function row key's at the bottom. I think they could look very stylish at the bottom but not sure if this would add cost. Its just a suggestion

Offline Simen

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 23:06:41 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:pretty nice

Offline TonyD

• dtronixs
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 08:32:32 »
Great looking keyboard and keypad combo.

What cable are you planing to use to connect the keyboard and keypad? TRRS or something else?

- Tony

Offline Delirious

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 13:05:05 »
Fox I had a suggestion for the layout and design on Design 2. I noticed that it would have a single cap locks LED from what you linked. I would like to see a Cap, Scrolls, lock LED at least. I would suggest perhaps stacking the LED's Vertically on the Brazil next to the F-Key's or perhaps placing them on the blocker down by the function row key's at the bottom. I think they could look very stylish at the bottom but not sure if this would add cost. Its just a suggestion

Yea.....

So when I use a keyboard I don’t know about anyone else, but I rest my fingers on the home row so my palms would cover the 2 bottom rows. I won’t be able to tell about the LED indicators if they’re on the bottom. So no

Offline kidcongo

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 17:44:54 »
Fan of the original orange and it looks great as a 75. For what it's worth I like the designs with the plate around the led indicators, they stand out.
Also have you considered the matt finish for the other colours? Would look great if doable...

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 18:41:54 »

stacking 3 LEDs vertically is exactly my current plan.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 18:43:11 »
Great looking keyboard and keypad combo.

What cable are you planing to use to connect the keyboard and keypad? TRRS or something else?

- Tony

The numpad connect to your computer or USB hub, not the Orange75.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 18:44:26 »
Fan of the original orange and it looks great as a 75. For what it's worth I like the designs with the plate around the led indicators, they stand out.
Also have you considered the matt finish for the other colours? Would look great if doable...

what do you mean by matt finish? MAO or powder coating?

Offline Simen

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 22:01:50 »
nice

Offline kidcongo

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:02:47 »

what do you mean by matt finish? MAO or powder coating?

MAO like the white finish on the original is what I was thinking. No idea if colours are actually available with that technique though!

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:38:27 »

MAO like the white finish on the original is what I was thinking. No idea if colours are actually available with that technique though!

We can do MAO only in white.

We're also trying to look for new factories for anodizing or other methods. For now a really good one we found is a factory that can provide high quality brass surface treatments. The brass case can be made super shiny.

Haven't considered other matte finishes yet. I may ask around later.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:40:21 »
Hard ano with alu 7075 would be cool

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 12:04:43 »
+1 for Pink TKL & Numpad. both or neither.
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:01:52 »
  • baby blue
  • light green
  • light pink
  • snow white
  • coffee
  • rose gold
  • orange
  • bright brass