Author Topic: I Am Root - OS X bug  (Read 6325 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
I Am Root - OS X bug
« on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 17:47:42 »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: I Am Root - OS X bug
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 18:03:57 »
pfffttt jesus lol

i wonder how fast they can fix this

in uni people used to fall asleep in the library with their laptops next to them. might have to invest in a bike lock to keep their macbook lids closed or something

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 18:42:39 »
^ i already had a pop-up for a security update pushed when i signed in this afternoon with the macbook.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 19:06:43 »
Doesn't hurt Tp, because Tp too p00r to fordz macbook..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 19:45:17 »
Usually a good idea not to upgrade to .0 releases (or sometimes .1).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 20:01:45 »

no excuse. My macbook air is from 2011 and it still works flawlessly. Use it every day.
-Dana

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 03:46:22 »
With other recent bugs in Apple's software, I am not entirely surprised.
I felt like that Tommy Lee Jones meme when I read about it ... "Apple, You're like some extra kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 06:18:55 »
no excuse. My macbook air is from 2011 and it still works flawlessly. Use it every day.
Air is/was one of the few Macbooks that was actually well made and reliable.
It's a shame they let it languish.

With other recent bugs in Apple's software, I am not entirely surprised.
I felt like that Tommy Lee Jones meme when I read about it ... "Apple, You're like some extra kind of stupid, aren't you?"
It's because when Jobs left, he left them a 5 year plan, not only have they exhausted that plan, but the company has been slowly migrating away from Jobs' ideals and instead towards a typical corporation, something Apple has NEVER done well with, and bleeding it dry in the process. Don't be surprised if in just a couple years that they are back in the same spot they where when Jobs left last time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 November 2017, 06:22:07 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 08:21:01 »
It's a different world now than before. Now, Apple can just buy the competence needed.
And... they have a ****load of money to spend on things.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 08:44:20 »

I run Debian on all my machines, but keep an 2012 Macbook lying around ... for mac things. I don't think I'll buy another Mac for WHILE. No need. They are built well and last. That being said, I will never buy a mac post 2015... I like USBs...
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 18:08:42 »
It's a different world now than before. Now, Apple can just buy the competence needed.
And... they have a ****load of money to spend on things.
I used to think the same, but it only lasts so long at such a large company where operating expenses are high and you have a relatively small product line. Big companies have big operating expenses and they aren't nimble, they cannot pivot to a new product fast like a smaller one can.

Some other companies who people thought the same about... Blackberry, Kodak, Lehman Brothers, Nokia, Enron, IBM, Chrysler and GM, notice how many of them survived intact. History is littered by companies thought too big to fail. And before you say "but those are different", keep in mind that Kodak actually invented and owned the patents on digital photography, the very thing that destroyed them. IBM owned a ton of patents and the Thinkpad lineup (now owned by Lenovo), when was the last time you saw an IBM desktop? The last one I saw was sitting in a Radio Shack...

Apple has about 2 years of operating cash before they start liquidating investments (based on actual quarterly earnings). While most companies would love that, remember most of Apple's success is based on or built around one item, the Iphone. Of the companies I listed before, the ONLY ones to survive were the ones with very different product lines and even they needed a bailout and sold/killed off much of their company.

Point is, Apple's success is built around one device.
Remember, no one saw the Iphone coming, Microsoft who owns a stake in Apple didn't see it coming, and if that were not enough, they later went and bought Nokia (how you spend it matters too!). The Iphone killer could be sitting on a desk right now (Elon Musk?) and we wouldn't know it. As Microsoft proved, throwing money at things doesn't always fix it. Know anyone with a Windows Phone?
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 18:41:21 »

Point is, Apple's success is built around one device.
Remember, no one saw the Iphone coming, Microsoft who owns a stake in Apple didn't see it coming, and if that were not enough, they later went and bought Nokia (how you spend it matters too!). The Iphone killer could be sitting on a desk right now (Elon Musk?) and we wouldn't know it. As Microsoft proved, throwing money at things doesn't always fix it. Know anyone with a Windows Phone?

Tp4 haz the windoz fone..  it got snake app.. work gud..!!!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 12:14:23 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 12:32:28 »
Did you enter "root@localhost" as email address ?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 08:18:59 »
NOBODY USES MAC OS X ANYMORE BECAUSE IT'S A STUPID OPERATING SYSTEM THAT SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. EVERYONE'S USING WINDOWS AND LINUX THESE DAYS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 19:45:45 »
NOBODY USES MAC OS X ANYMORE BECAUSE IT'S A STUPID OPERATING SYSTEM THAT SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. EVERYONE'S USING WINDOWS AND LINUX THESE DAYS.

Few are using OS X any more, because it was renamed to macOS.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 06:12:35 »

Few are using OS X any more, because it was renamed to macOS.

MAC OS, NO MATTER WHAT THE NAME, IS THE SAME. IT'S JUST CRAP! DON'T USE IT.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 01:27:29 »
Hey, but at least Apple users get to pay, like, twice as much as the rest of us do for devices that do all the same stuff. So the prestige value's still there.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 20:10:54 »
Hey, but at least Apple users get to pay, like, twice as much as the rest of us do for devices that do all the same stuff. So the prestige value's still there.

I will say that although my mac airbook has worked flawlessly every day for the last 7 years.. you have a point that most people just browse the internet and check email with whatever device they're using.
-Dana

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 17:50:32 »

I will say that although my mac airbook has worked flawlessly every day for the last 7 years.. you have a point that most people just browse the internet and check email with whatever device they're using.

YOU NEED TO THROW THAT COMPUTER AWAY RIGHT NOW. USING MACS IS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER. YOU NEED TO QUIT RIGHT NOW!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:03:22 »

Not quite twice.  And the resale value is much, much higher.  And OS updates are free.