Author Topic: [IC] "Lotus" Keycaps  (Read 9534 times)

Offline mesteris

[IC] "Lotus" Keycaps
« on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 08:22:10 »
Hey everyone, this is actually my first post on these forums, so hi to everyone.
Had an idea last night and toyed around with some colors, unfortunately I'm very new at using image editing software. This is my first attempt at a keyset and I guess I'm just wondering if I should keep going or if anyone's interested or has any input.

So far I've got:
ABS Plastic
Alphas are YCC with GSM Labels
Modifiers are RAS with GSC Labels
Silver alphas are GSL with GSM Labels
There are 5 colors used.
Font will be Gordon Modified, mockup is in Technic Regular

Not really sure on the profile.

Not really feeling the lower case letters, will redo mockup with capitalized modifiers instead
New update! Capitalized modifiers return! Novelty keys???
6/3 Update: Currently on the backburner
5/13 Updated:
http://imgur.com/a/0IILO

More
alphas

Red Modifiers

Grey alphas

WIP Novelty Set

Mockups:

Originals
Current mock-up

New Alphas are a closer to white than grey color.
May add a darker grey mockup in the future.
No Numpads yet but will be included.

So if anyone doesn't think this is poorly composed, I'd love to go ahead and try and create some child deals as well as finish the arrow keys. Like I said though, I'm not very good at image editing and would have trouble creating any cool icons.

Please give me any feedback! It is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 22:04:33 by mesteris »

Offline fliptrik

Re: [IC] "Lotus" Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:48:51 »
I think this is pretty damn snazzy. I've actually been on the lookout for a solid red/cream set. I was thinking about mixing some Eve and something else but this would fill the hole in my heart. I'm always partial to DSA profile but I'm guessing this would look good in any.

One thing that would be super helpful for child deals would be some extra modifiers for Planck/Atomic keyboards and such.

Also, I know my way around the Adobe Creative Suite so if you ever need any help doing anything, just shoot me a message. I'd love to help!

Offline mesteris

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:22:13 »
I will work on and add keyboard adapter kits if the original set generates any interest. Please everyone if you like the set, let me know what you want to see!

There is currently a GSC (grey) Spacebar, return + Backspace key GSC with RAS (grey with red)letters. I also plan on adding red on silver WIN key replacements, unfortunately my program just blew up and I hadn't saved in awhile so that's coming later.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:27:06 by mesteris »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:27:29 »
Really like it so far! Good color scheme for sure. Will keep following this thread.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline csnickba

• Gateron fanboy and topre lover.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:47:52 »
Really love it, hopefully this gets made.

Also don't wanna be this guy, but aren't lotus flowers pink? Either way though good job on the set and I'd definitely buy this if it ever gets made. :)

Offline mesteris

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:35:07 »
but aren't lotus flowers pink?

Yeah...they are. See, I was totally gonna think of a cool name for this keycap set, and I was like...okay Crimson Lotus. Then I thought everyone would judge me for a nerdy name so I just left it at lotus. The original inspirations for the set don't have very deep origins. I've always enjoyed a crimson/merlot/grey color combination. The creamy color reminds me of ivory chess pieces. I ended up naming the set "Crimson Lotus" in my head, crimson because of the heavy red accents and lotus because of a fictional series with a fictional chess-like game that had a lotus piece which I thought would be a neat signature cap. Anyways, I made up Crimson Lotus v2 since there was some mild interest. I'd like to be sure this set is garnering some interest before I continue any further though.

As for v2, I used the RGB codes from deskauthority to generate the colors this time around so it looks truest hopefully. Dropped the all-capitalization on the accent keys. Included a grey alpha set.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:42:29 by mesteris »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 11:02:18 »
Reminds me of the Famicon set that's been proposed a few times.

Offline lookitdisnub

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:58:16 »
Could be good for Niners fans

Offline csnickba

• Gateron fanboy and topre lover.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 07:53:58 »
but aren't lotus flowers pink?

Yeah...they are. See, I was totally gonna think of a cool name for this keycap set, and I was like...okay Crimson Lotus. Then I thought everyone would judge me for a nerdy name so I just left it at lotus. The original inspirations for the set don't have very deep origins. I've always enjoyed a crimson/merlot/grey color combination. The creamy color reminds me of ivory chess pieces. I ended up naming the set "Crimson Lotus" in my head, crimson because of the heavy red accents and lotus because of a fictional series with a fictional chess-like game that had a lotus piece which I thought would be a neat signature cap. Anyways, I made up Crimson Lotus v2 since there was some mild interest. I'd like to be sure this set is garnering some interest before I continue any further though.

Show Image

As for v2, I used the RGB codes from deskauthority to generate the colors this time around so it looks truest hopefully. Dropped the all-capitalization on the accent keys. Included a grey alpha set.

Show Image

Well hopefully this set does gain traction, because even though it's not pink like I said, it's still a damn good set.

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 10:17:47 »
Hey there, nice lotus themed keycap! :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 10:55:21 »
too close to red alert for me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Mikey Mo

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 20:29:44 »
 nice lotus,but red looks dark

Offline unoab

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 23:02:34 »

RAS red is quite nice, the recent round 5 caps are done in that.  Actually, here is a link to the production photos for a reference on how RAS SA keycaps will look once manufactured:
http://deskthority.net/w/images/7/77/Round5_Honey_1429a.jpg

and a nice bonus is that there is already a double shot lotus keycap that can be seen there, so possible cost savings on having that legend mold made if that rendition was used.

Offline mesteris

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 01:35:50 »

RAS red is quite nice, the recent round 5 caps are done in that.  Actually, here is a link to the production photos for a reference on how RAS SA keycaps will look once manufactured:
http://deskthority.net/w/images/7/77/Round5_Honey_1429a.jpg

and a nice bonus is that there is already a double shot lotus keycap that can be seen there, so possible cost savings on having that legend mold made if that rendition was used.

Wow! I had never seen these before. I really like the red now that I've seen a photo of it. The Lotus keycap also looks pretty great, does anyone have the rights to that keycap?

Offline mesteris

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:44:59 »
Updated!

Offline unoab

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 01:06:41 »
Wow! I had never seen these before. I really like the red now that I've seen a photo of it. The Lotus keycap also looks pretty great, does anyone have the rights to that keycap?

You would probably have to ask 7bit about that, since he is the one who ran/runs the round4/5/5a/etc group buys that had those legends.  I think he has an account here as well as on deskthority where he runs the buys.
here is a link with the logos:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_Four_4_Dummies#Keys_with_Pictures

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 01:15:34 »
Nice. I would use a more bold variant of the font. And the arrow keys look too much sci-fi like, cooler-master-like , unappriopiate for this set. And: I don't have any use for this set, since I need an international kit. Your project is anglocentric, again.

Offline mesteris

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 03:52:24 »
Nice. I would use a more bold variant of the font. And the arrow keys look too much sci-fi like, cooler-master-like , unappriopiate for this set. And: I don't have any use for this set, since I need an international kit. Your project is anglocentric, again.

You're right, the arrow keys look off. Also, it's still a WIP so I'll add an ISO kit. Not looking to make too many kits for child deals right now as there are a great many beautiful keycap sets around the corner and I would rather wait for those to complete but I will try to support as many keyboards as possible!

Offline E3E

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 19:24:19 »
Definitely liking the look of this set. This color combination is very strawberry cheesecake, though I see the asian influence too, and I really dig it! Hope this one gets made. :D

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 15:05:45 »
I am really like the color combination, that yellow along with a complimenting dark color for the modifiers seems to catch my eye everytime.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline wafflepc

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 19:42:25 »
If these are SA, and my two month membership is done by the time they are selling, i will definitely try to join. I love the yellowed colour to.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] &quot;Lotus&quot; Keycaps
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 19:56:59 »
If these are SA, and my two month membership is done by the time they are selling, i will definitely try to join. I love the yellowed colour to.
The 2 month requirement is only to sell, you can buy anytime.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 22:08:46 »
Any possibility of this happening?