geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Rit dyed keycap longevity?

(1/2) > >>

Jamesbeat:
I read all 49 pages of the dyeing keycaps thread, but there seemed to be no concensus on the subject of how long the dye will last.

I received my Apple Extended Keyboard II today, and after a little work with a hacksaw, soldering iron and desoldering pump, I'm nearly ready to wire up the new matrix to fit the wireless controller I have.

I want to dye the keycaps, but not if it's only going to last for a short time, as this keyboard is going to be a lot of work, and the ALPS caps are not easy to just replace with a new set if the dyed finish starts looking shabby.

Has anyone used a dyed 'board for a long time?
How did the dye job hold up?

Jamesbeat:
I guess there are a lot of variables.
I'm making a tenkeyless, so I have some spare keys to experiment with.
Maybe I'll dye a few and slice them open.
I did see the photo of the key that had been cut open, but I bet there is a difference between manufacturers and plastic types.
The othe problem is that the space bar is ABS, so even if the other keys dye well, the space bar will still be a problem.

discord:
how did it turn out?

Strelok:
I used to dye the heads of my lacrosse sticks with RIT dye, that **** sticks. It's very similar to dye sub if the method is the same as what I used to do.

fohat.digs:
My (1980s vintage IBM) PBT dye jobs have held up perfectly for a year of moderate use.

And somebody had a thread in recent weeks about dyeing ABS with the help of 15% acetone that looked pretty intriguing.

I am of the opinion that (penetrating) dye is preferable to almost any sort of (surface film) painting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version