Author Topic: Chaining AT-PS2 adapter to ps2-USB -- any issues?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline wellington1869

Chaining AT-PS2 adapter to ps2-USB -- any issues?
« on: Fri, 17 October 2008, 14:03:55 »
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying an old clicky (blue cherry) qtronix scorpius KT-305 keyboard that has an AT connector. My computer only takes USB. Any known issues with chaining an AT-PS2 adapter followed by PS2-USB adapter? (the latter is a 'real' one, not just a pass thru).
If it makes any difference, i have winxp.
thanks!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 October 2008, 20:48:29 »
I think several people here already do that.  Since AT and PS2 are the same protocol, all you are only doing one protocol change.  Some folks would probably agree with this; if you have the option to run with PS2, do it.  It has better throughput/bandwidth (?) so it allows for higher key rollover.  USB can only support 6-key rollover, PS2 can handle much more.  That is not to say USB is unusable.  I probably never run into a situation where I need 6-key rollover.  I have also heard stories of less-than-successful adapting from PS2 to USB as well (I have never run into this personally; I run PS2 to USB from my Model M through a KVM switch with no problems).

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2008, 13:56:18 »
The passive just-a-cable PS/2 to USB converters do not work well.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2008, 13:59:16 »
Also, some active PS/2-to-USB adapters don't play nicely with Model Ms, due to the Model M's power consumption.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2008, 20:31:11 »
I have this one from monoprice.com: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10404&cs_id=1040401&p_id=173&seq=1&format=2.  It's $4, and it works great with my Model M.  Every one in a while (maybe twice a day) the keyboard acts like it resets.  It lasts less than one second, but I don't know if that is the adapter or the switch (or both).  It happens very rarely, so I don't really care.