geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Please help me design a controller for this :(

(1/4) > >>

kmiller8:
After 2 and a half hours of streaming, this is what I got!

A pretty decent RGB matrix, but no controller :(

Reference of how each switch/LED is laid out.

Pretty much, the switch and the Red, Blue, and Green anodes are all on a row, while they all share a common ground. So I need something capable of sinking the current along each row (6 LEDs?) at any given time, which properly maintained shouldn't be more than 100mA, no?

Also, I need some sort of chip, I was thinking of using the same chip in the Teensy++ (AT90USB1286) since I already have schematics for how to lay it out on a board, and it has enough I/O to handle the entire matrix (42 pins) http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html If someone knows of a better solution (easier to layout, less parts) please let me know, I am not attached to any programming language.

Soooooo. Things I need. Something that can source 100mA x 18 (one for each column?), and a go-ahead for the controller.

Guys, lets make the GHTK-RGB together <3

engicoder:
If you just want to have all the leds lit as a group, you just need to add the appropriate drive transistors, etc. and use a few PWM outputs from the AVR ( I believe the AT90USB1286 has 9 available) to drive the color and brightness. If you plan to have individual control of the leds, you probably need to add one or more common cathode drivers such as the MAX7219 (in addition to you controller).

kmiller8:
Ok so! I've been thinking about this thing all day, and I realized how stupid I was with my diode/LED configuration, The config I have posted makes it impossible to both sink the current required for the LEDs and detect if a switch is activated. So I have effectively "flipped" everything around, where the ground rail will now become a voltage source for a common anode for the RGB LED and the Diodes, which will allow me to sink each current individually on each LED rail!

I'll do up some drawings later, I'm just thinking out loud, for whoever is listening...

kmiller8:
This is just.... too beautiful, I cannot believe I created this.

E: It's the Teensy++ Schematic, fit under the microcontroller used in the Teensy++ SUPER MICRO!!!

__red__:
Time for you to set up a github and start publishing your designs :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version