Author Topic: What's your keycap to keyboard ratio ?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Lazylewis

What's your keycap to keyboard ratio ?
« on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 20:46:42 »
I'm curious about how many more keycap sets people own compared to how many keyboards they own.

I have 4 aftermarket keycap sets and three boards. This is not including my HHKB because I can't use aftermarket keycaps on it. And it's not including the stock keycaps that came with the boards.

There's so many sets I want to buy but it seems a waste to own sets and have them in a bag in the closet. If I like a dozen sets should I buy a dozen boards ? What do you do?

Do you buy keycaps for certain boards or just use one board and rotate keycaps? 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: What's your keycap to keyboard ratio ?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 06:37:00 »

This is not including my HHKB because I can't use aftermarket keycaps on it.

Sure you can, just swap in MX compatible stems. :thumb:

For me I've started buying keyboards with stock caps I don't mind using (Leopold) and stopped buying custom cap sets.

But I've always bought custom sets in the past with an idea of what board I wanted to out them on but not all those projects worked out.

Offline poq

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 07:39:18 »
I only own one set of keycaps that aren't on a board currently, and they'll be going on my next one when the kit arrives. So technically I have 3 sets of keycaps for 3 boards: DSA blanks for Diverge TM 2, stock on HHKB JP, and Troubled Minds for my upcoming Revo (they used to be on my Unit-01-themed Planck with a purple anodized case).

This is mostly because I just don't find too many sets appealing to me, if it weren't for the EVA theme with Troubled Minds I doubt i would've bought those either.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 07:47:44 »
1 JTK set and 4 GMK sets (and a fifth on the way). I have 1 MX keyboard (but 2 on the way).

Planning to buy another 4 to take it to 10 GMK sets though - got to rotate some when I get my keycap puller ;D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:17:38 »
Rough estimate; about 6000 keycaps to 150 boards.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline leech

• …always on the lookout for higher quality…
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:47:33 »
1 board with the 1 original set, and 1 spare set in the mail from AX. that's a total of 2 sets to be used on 1 board.

beginner here  ;D

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:22:24 »
Not including stock I've got 15+ keysets and 6 boards(1 unbuilt)+1 more on the way. I just switch them out whenever I feel like it, and keep them in trays in a box when I'm not using them.

I don't think of it as wasteful.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 16:08:20 »

This is mostly because I just don't find too many sets appealing to me, if it weren't for the EVA theme with Troubled Minds I doubt i would've bought those either.

I envy you, I want to join every second group buy/drop for SA and GMK. I also envy people who like one profile/switch/keyboard size.

I like so many sizes and switches and profiles that I end up wanting everything.

Hello, this is you from the past, just saying hi.

Offline digisax

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:42:00 »
Until GMK Honeywell gets in I have more keyboards than keysets. I have the stock caps from my Pok3r and Leopold and no caps for my B.mini I'm just about to finish.

Once Honeywell comes in it'll be 1:1.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:58:04 »
Eh, honestly, I have one set that I can't use because I don't have a setup for it, and a Topre keyboard incoming... So currently I use my laptop. I'd love to own a few more keyboards and keycap sets...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 19:04:55 »
12:7
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 00:35:37 »
12:9
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:00:41 »

I envy you, I want to join every second group buy/drop for SA and GMK. I also envy people who like one profile/switch/keyboard size.

I like so many sizes and switches and profiles that I end up wanting everything.

Hello, this is you from the past, just saying hi.
Haha not really, not a single one of them is a custom keycap set :p . All of mine are spares!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:30:26 »
9:6

(5 Stock Keycap Sets, 4 Aftermarket Keycap Sets, 6 Mechanical Keyboards)

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:13:34 »
I have a couple of custom sets, but group buys are too convoluted and confusing to me so I mostly ignore them. And besides, I am an IBM man.

On the other hand, I have at least 3-4 sets of each type of low-grade caps harvested from boards that went into the garbage.
I even have about half a set of Space Invaders spares, but they are mostly weird and not the desirable ones such as the modifiers.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline scudley

• nobody howls at the sun because it sucks
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:36:35 »
Just a few months ago it was, well, infinite. I had no (mech) keyboards and a gallon ziploc full of DSA granite
HHKB Type-S | GH60 Satan - 67g Cherristotles | GHpad - 78g Zealios