Author Topic: Hello GH!!  (Read 2060 times)

Offline 2truth

Hello GH!!
« on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 07:23:17 »
I've lurked here quite a bit for the last couple of years, even more so on r/MK - figured I'd join while everyone else is just as bored as I am during lockdown  :thumb:

considering I've upgraded from an old corsair TKL with browns, to a Leopold FC660m with reds, and now a HHKB bt - I think I'll be here awhile lol

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello GH!!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:39:47 »
Hi 2truth. Welcome to Geekhack.

I lurked for years myself as well. I'm not bored at all. I never go anywhere other than work anyway, and I'm not working from home or furloughed. lol

What switches have you tried? Which do you like? Into tactiles mostly?

Offline 2truth

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 17:25:53 »
thanks Maledicted, happy to be here  :D

I've tried blues, browns, reds, and now the topres which have quickly proved to be the favorite so far! I do prefer the linear switches imo, but would like to try out some kailh box navys or whites to see how those feel. I could type on anything and enjoy it's quirks. I have some krytox 205, some keycaps, and silencing rings on the way so the topre mod is incoming soon. Love these badboys.

I think I'll attempt a desolder of my Leopold and swap the reds for some cherry blacks or another linear that is a bit heavier. Only gripe I had with the reds were that they felt a bit too light when typing for accuracy, so the heavier linear options have always enticed me. I'm excited to have a main board and another nice one to mod a bit more without fear of breaking my only keeb lol

thanks for the reply!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 18:30:00 »
With what I know now, I would probably prefer linears out of the MX line as well, although I typed happily away on MX blues for years before I discovered capacitive buckling spring, etc. Linears are about all that MX does relatively well in comparison to alternatives, in my opinion. Never tried Topre before myself, unfortunately.

I have the same concern with MX red, it seems to be a common complaint. I even accidentally actuate them when resting my fingers on them. I would be careful about MX blacks though. A lot of people, including myself, find MX blacks to be a bit too stiff for sustained typing. I'm not sure why offhand, but heavy linears seem to be more fatiguing than similar weighting switches of another type. Gateron blacks are a lot smoother, and a bit lighter than MX, and Gateron's yellow switches are just a tad lighter still. I think they would be a good compromise weight for linears that should still prevent accidental actuation. A lot of people like Novelkeys creams, Tealios, Alpacas, and Gateron inks (maybe more) for linears though (I have tried none of these myself). I know everglide's linears and tactiles are probably the smoothest I have personally yet felt myself.

Box navies and jades are wonderful (unfortunately haven't tried pinks). I see box whites as a good compromise switch, for general purpose typing if you're going to use the same board for gaming as well as typing, since the switch is very light and the tactility is sharp and crisp, but barely noticeable.

You'll do fine. Have you soldered before? If not, just watch a few in-depth how-to videos and take your time (just don't take your time in holding the hot iron on melted solder). Also don't try to tug on anything unless you know the solder is entirely melted and/or all of the solder holding something in place is gone. If you don't, that's how you lift pads. The solder pads are huge, and pretty spaced out, so keyboards are probably the best modern practical place to learn.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2020, 09:37:08 by Maledicted »

Offline 2truth

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 06:51:01 »
good tips! the gateron yellows sound amazing from what I've heard, as well as their ink line (being sold out most places I've looked lol). I have heard of the others you've mentioned but dived deeply into the topre side of things as of late, so I'll be catching up on the boutique cherry stems as soon as I mod this thing to my liking a bit more  :cool:

I have not soldered! I will be borrowing some gear from a friend of mine to play around with alongside some small tester pieces of pcb to get the hang of it. May just attempt a go right at the corsair because that thing would not be missed at all if I messed anything up that badly lol. I appreciate your help! wish me luck :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 12:49:08 »
good tips! the gateron yellows sound amazing from what I've heard, as well as their ink line (being sold out most places I've looked lol). I have heard of the others you've mentioned but dived deeply into the topre side of things as of late, so I'll be catching up on the boutique cherry stems as soon as I mod this thing to my liking a bit more  :cool:

I have not soldered! I will be borrowing some gear from a friend of mine to play around with alongside some small tester pieces of pcb to get the hang of it. May just attempt a go right at the corsair because that thing would not be missed at all if I messed anything up that badly lol. I appreciate your help! wish me luck :)

I do hope to feel Topre some day soon, just to be able to compare them against MX-like tactiles.

What sort of Corsair was that anyway, you said a TKL. K65, or maybe one of the newer plastic things? I swapped some box navies into a K65 and it is literally one of my favorite keyboards now.

Good luck to you, although I imagine that you will not need it. I think soldering is kind of like riding a bike too. If you pick that skill up, you've got it for good.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 00:10:24 »
If you're looking for Topre feel, some of the really good dome with sliders have a vague topre sense. BTCs are pretty good. If you like those, you might like Topre. They're cheap and all over the place.

Offline 2truth

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 06:48:24 »
I just pulled it out from my closet and I misspoke, it's a gk66 so it's full size. I enjoyed it until I broke my stab on the shift key and dove into this rabbit-hole of custom mechs - kinda glad I broke it LOL

still, not a bad board at all. really nice feel for a beginner board. I just made plans to gift it to a friend of mine today actually, so I'm just going to desolder/resolder the browns to really get the soldering dialed in then send it off. Have some grease to apply in an attempt to decrease the wobbles on the mods - clean it up etc. still undecided as for the new switches on my Leopold - there's so many to try

to add to funkmon's comment, I really thought topres would feel less clacky and maybe a bit sluggish in comparison to mx, but trusted what I heard around town and I'm glad I did. the 45g domes I have are quick to pop back to the plastic frame and I like the audible kickback to the plastic plate they make. I feel like it's almost a blue and red MX stuffed within an artisan popping toy from chuck-e-cheese (weird but true). I enjoy the ctrl key swapped to the capslock like I had on my Leo, but the real winner on the HHKB layout is the smaller travel to the backspace/delete key. I like that a lot. definitely try some cheap clones if you're ever feeling it!  ;D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 20:31:29 »
Gk66 actually looks to be a 65%, just with a split space bar. It isn't made by Corsair either, moreso one of those affordable Chinese manufacturers. Looks like they can come with Gateron optical switches?

I'm sure I'll get a BTC dome with slider some day, if even only by mistake, since they are so common. I imagine I have already had them before though, as I used to have a ton of vintage keyboards before I knew anything about their possible mechanisms.

I'm not a huge fan of MX red or blue anymore, I imagine Topre is much more smooth than either though. I do almost want one of those niz switch boards since they sound wonderful. Being a clicky guy, I doubt I would ever buy a Topre board though unless I found a fantastic deal on a used one.

Offline 2truth

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 06:59:02 »
my fault, it's the K66 https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Standard-Gaming-Keyboards/K66-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-%E2%80%94-CHERRY%C2%AE-MX-Red/p/CH-9103000-NA

funny... for the last year I've been mentioning this keyboard with MX Brown switches but popped the cap off today and they're MX reds  :mad: must be why I enjoy the linears so much. the Chinese amazon pre-builds are clogging my brain. I know my first keeb had browns, no doubt; wish I could remember the brand - been awhile lol

now that my friend purchased a diff keyboard, I'll be looking into spring swaps and other things since I own over 120 of them  :p

I'll admit it must be my inexperience with tactile switches. it is indeed far smoother than a blue and registers quite interestingly compared to what I've felt. very hard to pinpoint without a graph; more like a brown stuffed in the popper toy, I imagine. I considered the niz before I bought this one, might be a good one to try and sell off later if that's at all worth the time/money. as for vintage, my parents had a Lexmark Model M on our first PC which I spent plenty of time on in my youth in the 90s. I remember it fondly - been on my list since the get-go.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2020, 07:02:52 by 2truth »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:40:13 »
my fault, it's the K66 https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Standard-Gaming-Keyboards/K66-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-%E2%80%94-CHERRY%C2%AE-MX-Red/p/CH-9103000-NA

funny... for the last year I've been mentioning this keyboard with MX Brown switches but popped the cap off today and they're MX reds  :mad: must be why I enjoy the linears so much. the Chinese amazon pre-builds are clogging my brain. I know my first keeb had browns, no doubt; wish I could remember the brand - been awhile lol

now that my friend purchased a diff keyboard, I'll be looking into spring swaps and other things since I own over 120 of them  :p

I'll admit it must be my inexperience with tactile switches. it is indeed far smoother than a blue and registers quite interestingly compared to what I've felt. very hard to pinpoint without a graph; more like a brown stuffed in the popper toy, I imagine. I considered the niz before I bought this one, might be a good one to try and sell off later if that's at all worth the time/money. as for vintage, my parents had a Lexmark Model M on our first PC which I spent plenty of time on in my youth in the 90s. I remember it fondly - been on my list since the get-go.

The one you linked is a full size. I think I know the one you mean though. My friend has one of those plastic TKL Corsairs, and it looks very similar. I wish they hadn't gone to plastic, but he seems to love that keyboard.

You have 120 of what? Keyboards? []_[]

Browns are the scratchiest of the MX family, grit is all you feel as far as tactility if you ask me. Reds and blues are much better in that regard. The click on blues is just kind of rattly and inconsistent.

I had thought as much, and people have certainly recommended it, since Topre always holds its value.

Lexmark Ms doesn't seem to be too uncommon if you check around on Ebay, etc. Did you want another Lexmark, an original IBM, or maybe a Unicomp?

Offline 2truth

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 22:19:13 »

The one you linked is a full size. I think I know the one you mean though. My friend has one of those plastic TKL Corsairs, and it looks very similar. I wish they hadn't gone to plastic, but he seems to love that keyboard.

You have 120 of what? Keyboards? []_[]

Browns are the scratchiest of the MX family, grit is all you feel as far as tactility if you ask me. Reds and blues are much better in that regard. The click on blues is just kind of rattly and inconsistent.

I had thought as much, and people have certainly recommended it, since Topre always holds its value.

Lexmark Ms doesn't seem to be too uncommon if you check around on Ebay, etc. Did you want another Lexmark, an original IBM, or maybe a Unicomp?

Just realized how scuffed my description of the corsair was initially, it's that exact keyboard linked. It has been in the closet untouched for so long that I barely remembered I had it anymore haha. The corsair TKL boards do seem quality though.

Do you have any other non-cherry, clicky switch you recommend? A heavy, clicky board is another on my list. I was definitely sitting with a bunch of kailh box navy's in my cart for a week before I decided to buy the novelkeys cream switches they just restocked. Also, any experience with lubed clicky switches? I may like that.

120 red cherry switches! lol

That's been a question on my mind as the lexmarks are cheaper. Unicomp would be cool to try but I don't think I'd buy. From what I've seen the plastic is lighter and the board is a bit hollow. Not really sure here - might have to be a lucky goodwill pickup or s/t like that lol

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 10:16:29 »
Just realized how scuffed my description of the corsair was initially, it's that exact keyboard linked. It has been in the closet untouched for so long that I barely remembered I had it anymore haha. The corsair TKL boards do seem quality though.

Do you have any other non-cherry, clicky switch you recommend? A heavy, clicky board is another on my list. I was definitely sitting with a bunch of kailh box navy's in my cart for a week before I decided to buy the novelkeys cream switches they just restocked. Also, any experience with lubed clicky switches? I may like that.

120 red cherry switches! lol

That's been a question on my mind as the lexmarks are cheaper. Unicomp would be cool to try but I don't think I'd buy. From what I've seen the plastic is lighter and the board is a bit hollow. Not really sure here - might have to be a lucky goodwill pickup or s/t like that lol

That happens. Yeah, Corsair gets a bad rap.

Box pale blues and noble yellows aren't bad either. I still say jades take the cake, but others have their preferences. And these are just the best of the modern MX compatibles. If you broaden your horizon to classic switches, Alps SKCM blues are the best clicky switch I have ever felt, followed closely by IBM's capacitive buckling spring in the Model F. The box jades trail closely behind. Hi-Tek's 725 series"space invaders" and NEC blue ovals are wonderful too. Many consider IBM's beam springs better than any of the rest, but those boards have weird layouts and cost thousands of dollars now.

The general view on the Model M is that the older it is, the better. The metal plates, the plastic, etc, all got thinner over time. Key legends also, apparently degraded as tooling wore out. Unicomp's legends seem almost indistinguishable from early Model M caps to me, but that's apparently because they've improved lately. Lexmark kind of falls in the middle in this regard.