Author Topic: Noppoo Choc Mini Review  (Read 3517 times)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Noppoo Choc Mini Review
« on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 20:10:51 »
It’s OK.

For a longer review, keep reading.

This review is for the older model Noppoo Choc Mini 84; the model with the caps lock/left ctrl swap function on the F9 key, not on the Delete key.  My particular model has Cherry MX Red switches and POM keycaps.

Appearance:  It looks kind of cheap.  You can tell it’s definitely made of plastic.  The USB cord is not detachable.  This is not an issue for me but, when so many mechanical keyboards feature detachable cords, this stands out as another indicator of this keyboard’s cheapness.  The keys themselves look decent but the side-printed function layer legends look kind of garish. 

Feel:  The first time I lifted the Noppoo Choc Mini, I thought it felt like a toy.  My Ducky TKL is much heavier than the Choc Mini.  When not comparing it to my other keyboards, the Choc Mini feels kind of heavy for its size.   The key caps feel solid but I’m ambivalent about the texture; it does not feel smooth or particularly grippy – maybe ever so slightly dirty is a fitting description of the key cap texture.   I think I prefer the texture of PBT and smooth ABS.

This board is my first experience with Cherry MX Red switches.  Although they have the same actuation force as the MX Browns, I think the tactile sensation of the Browns makes the Reds feel even lighter, by comparison.   I can see why many people appreciate Reds.  I feel like my fingers can fly across this keyboard when typing on it.  The heaviest switch I’ve used regularly is a Hi-Tek clicky black but the switch I use every day is Cherry MX Brown.  I can type without hammering keys but it’s nearly impossible to type on MX Reds without bottoming out.  I type lightly enough to bottom out without discomfort, and if you can handle Reds like that and are looking for a cheap, compact keyboard, you may want to consider the Choc Mini for the next topic in my review.

Sound:  Sound is a mixed bag with this keyboard.  I’ve heard people talk about keyboard “ping”.  This keyboard has an issue with sound but it’s too indistinct to call it ping.  When used in a very quiet environment, this keyboard definitely has a metallic resonance that can faintly be heard when pressing most keys.  Perhaps this has something to do with how the switch plate sits in the case.  The Choc Mini has costar stabilizers and the stabilized keys kind of rattle on my board, too. 

But here’s the thing: the sound of the keys bottoming out on this board is very satisfying.  I use this keyboard in an environment where there is enough ambient noise to drown out the resonance and I improved the sound of the stabilized keys by putting o-rings on their center stems. I love the sound of the keycaps bottoming out on this board; it is deeper and more solid than the sounds of the ABS and PBT on my other boards.  Whether the sound is the result of this specific combination of POM key caps and Cherry MX Reds, I cannot say and your results may vary with different switches or a different set of key caps.

Function: The Choc Mini performs well enough as a keyboard.   It has media controls on a function layer but I haven’t tried using them.  The Choc Mini also has a keyswapping function for the left control and caps lock keys, debounce adjustment, and num lock with a ten key pad.  I set my keyboard to swap caps lock and control and to disable num lock.  However, every time I log out of my computer, the keyboard loses its setting to disable the num lock and I have to turn off num lock to log in to my computer, as the right half of the keyboard acts as a number pad.  Occasionally, I will have to reset the left control/caps lock swap as well.

Other considerations: I can’t get used to using the function keys or nav keys without looking at the keyboard.  On keyboards larger than 75%, I can touch type on the nav keys and the function keys that count for me (mostly F2 and F5).  I suspect some of the issue is reliance on peripheral vision for using these keys and having the function keys crowding the number row without stagger makes it difficult to get used to the layout.  Also, the nav keys on the right side of the board don’t correspond to their positions on a standard keyboard and the fact that I’m using TouchCursor to emulate a true 60% layout may be preventing me from learning to use the nav keys by touch.  And a number pad on a Sholes layout is no substitute for a standard matrix number pad, but it’s better than nothing, I suppose.

Synopsis:   If you can find this board cheap and want something smaller than TKL but still need dedicated nav and arrow keys, I would recommend this board.  It’s not fantastic but it functions well enough.  Aside from the occasional resonance, typing sounds nice, the board takes up very little space on my desk, and the Cherry MX Reds are smooth.  The ability to swap control and caps lock is nice, and I suppose the media controls and number pad on the function layer will appeal to some people.   However, I don’t care for the way the function keys crowd the number row, or the way the nav keys are organized on the right edge of the board.   Personally, I would much rather use a tenkeyless or a 60% board, but the Noppoo Choc Mini is good enough that it will remain on my desk until I find or build a suitable 60% board.