Author Topic: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS (Complete)  (Read 869017 times)

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
Re: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS
« Reply #2800 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 17:14:05 »
Could anyone give me pointers on trying to debug the issue? I don’t know why the whole row from K through pgdwn wouldn’t work.  Looking at wiring diagrams, the pad I messed up is for the column (CH), so the row should have been unaffected.  I have an oscilloscope.

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #2801 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 20:14:02 »
I'm not sure how damaging the K key has effected the surrounding area in such a way. If you undo the fly-wire to K, do the other keys work like normal?

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2802 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:09:14 »
Nope. When I took out the K, the rest of them worked, so I must have messed it up worse than I thought.  I just ended up ordering a sentraq board to replace it and started desoldering the switches.

Offline SakeJams

• HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
« Reply #2803 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:13:21 »
Nope. When I took out the K, the rest of them worked, so I must have messed it up worse than I thought.  I just ended up ordering a sentraq board to replace it and started desoldering the switches.
Damn rip. Did you try the flywire to any other switches and have a different result?

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2804 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:19:06 »
A bunch. I was so confused how nothing was working.  I basically hand wired the k in there and still nothing. I definitely need to work on my desoldering, though.  I only get a clean removal of the solder like, half the time... at least the sentraq board is almost the same.  Gonna miss the split space bar, though. Now that IC has released the PCB design for the K-type, maybe it time to finally work on my own design (with full RGB)

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #2805 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:28:55 »
A bunch. I was so confused how nothing was working.  I basically hand wired the k in there and still nothing. I definitely need to work on my desoldering, though.  I only get a clean removal of the solder like, half the time... at least the sentraq board is almost the same.  Gonna miss the split space bar, though. Now that IC has released the PCB design for the K-type, maybe it time to finally work on my own design (with full RGB)
Well damn man that sucks to hear. Does the sentraq PCB fit in the M65-A case?

Also if you don't already have something like this: https://goo.gl/WEyjdP I would highly recommend it, it makes desoldering completely painless for me!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2806 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:30:21 »

Also if you don't already have something like this: https://goo.gl/WEyjdP I would highly recommend it, it makes desoldering completely painless for me!

Sentraq PCBs have north facing LEDs which can be a bit of a deal breaker if you plan on using GMK caps
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2807 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:30:55 »
I actually own that already, but sometimes the solder is stuck down in the channel and I can’t get it out. 

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2808 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:33:29 »

Sentraq PCBs have north facing LEDs which can be a bit of a deal breaker if you plan on using GMK caps

Do they get caught or something? I’ve actually preferred north-facing in my limited exposure, since almost no backlit keys are designed for south-facing.  Even my artisans usually look better with north.

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #2809 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:38:02 »
I actually own that already, but sometimes the solder is stuck down in the channel and I can’t get it out.
Yeah I've had that problem a few times as well. It also doesn't work well on the LED holes and I have to end up using my soldering iron to heat up the solder so I can suck it out. I still love it 10x more than using a wick!

Offline Marutks

« Reply #2810 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:42:26 »
Do they get caught or something?

They do.  I bought GMK keycaps for my KBD66 build. All home row keys are fu*k3d!
I will have to get another set of keycaps.   

Offline Valaris

« Reply #2811 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:31:47 »
Out of curiousity, how did you originally mess up the soldering? I'm nervous about soldering for the first time so I want to see what I need to avoid.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #2812 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 14:12:27 »
If you're having a big issue with it, send support@keyclack.com and we can issue a replacement pcb at a discounted price.

---

Regarding the remaining shipments, I'll be shipping a bunch today, and sending out the trackings. I expect that at least 50 of you will get tracking today.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2813 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 14:52:58 »
One of the pins on the switch I put in was bent, and got sandwiched between the board and the switch. Didn’t notice till I already soldered the other pin

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2814 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 15:04:03 »
If you're having a big issue with it, send support@keyclack.com and we can issue a replacement pcb at a discounted price.

---

Regarding the remaining shipments, I'll be shipping a bunch today, and sending out the trackings. I expect that at least 50 of you will get tracking today.
Ooh baby, music to my ears. Fingers crossed.
pls gief bbv2

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #2815 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 15:20:26 »
One of the pins on the switch I put in was bent, and got sandwiched between the board and the switch. Didn’t notice till I already soldered the other pin
Did you try another switch in the same socket? Or did it damage the PCB itself

Offline Valaris

« Reply #2816 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 16:15:12 »

Good to know to watch out for that, thanks!

Offline Arcsxum

« Reply #2817 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 16:44:46 »

---

Crossing my fingers!!!

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #2818 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 20:48:54 »
Out of curiousity, how did you originally mess up the soldering? I'm nervous about soldering for the first time so I want to see what I need to avoid.
Flux, use lots of flux.

Seriously, biggest mistake made by the inexperienced.

Over-fluxing can just be fixed in the cleanup with some Alcohol.

If worried, get a starter-level kit you solder from RadioShack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline sixdeuces

• DIYKeyboards.com
« Reply #2819 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 21:18:51 »
Flux, use lots of flux

I'll second this. Flux is absolutely critical to making clean joints. Only takes a tiny bit on each joint, but everything flows out so much nicer.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #2820 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 02:54:10 »
Flux, use lots of flux.

I'll second this. Flux is absolutely critical to making clean joints. Only takes a tiny bit on each joint, but everything flows out so much nicer.

I've got a spool of this Kester 24-6337-0010 44 Rosin Core Solder 63/37 to work with, does it matter what kind of flux? Got anything in particular you prefer using?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #2821 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 05:41:51 »
Flux, use lots of flux.

If worried, get a starter-level kit you solder from RadioShack.

So I just dip the tip of the solder wire into the flux before placing it against the spot and melting it down?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #2822 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 06:56:14 »
I use Multicore 60/40 because it already contains the flux in it, makes things super easy and keeps your PCB clean.

Edit: I use the 1mm version of this, got 400g (used to be a 1kg roll) off of ebay for 15 bucks

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2017, 07:06:02 by Oblotzky »

Offline Valaris

« Reply #2823 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 07:08:02 »
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B003X3VUK0/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I have. Should I get something else entirely?

Offline sixdeuces

• DIYKeyboards.com
« Reply #2824 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 10:48:03 »
That should work just fine.

I'll add that, in my experience, there's a massive difference between using rosin-core solder alone and paste flux.

You apply a small amount of paste flux first, then heat. This burns off any oil or other residue and acid-etches the surface, priming it for solder. Once it boils off, apply your solder. As soon as it melts you will find it will all but leap onto the prepped surface. Once everything is cool, remove any flux residue with a cloth (not microfiber!) dampened with rubbing alcohol.

On small electronics like this, you can usually get by with rosin-core alone as long as everything is clean. If you find a place where the solder doesn't want to stick, that's where real flux will save the day.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2825 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 12:02:21 »
kester 44

that's that ****

you really shouldn't need extra flux for a keyboard unless you're doing something very wrong
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tally810

« Reply #2826 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 12:10:47 »
kester 44

that's that ****

you really shouldn't need extra flux for a keyboard unless you're doing something very wrong
Yea for soldering switches and LEDs I wouldn't think flux is necessary.  However I do use flux when in doing smd components and small stuff.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2827 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 12:14:04 »
kester 44

that's that ****

Yea for soldering switches and LEDs I wouldn't think flux is necessary.  However I do use flux when in doing smd components and small stuff.

i probably should, but i never have
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #2828 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 15:46:35 »

Yikes, this happened on 2 or 3 of my switches but I noticed before soldering either pin. I was able to pop them back out and straightened the pin before soldering it to the PCB. I haven't experienced any damage to the PCB from the switch pins getting squashed.

And for solder, I've always used 60/40 rosin core for keyboards. For this project, I ordered some "fancy" Kester 63/37 rosin core. Not sure that the composition of the solder made a difference, but thinner wire is easier to work with. I considered picking up some flux too, but I read that you probably won't need it unless you're desoldering and I did not miss it during assembly.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #2829 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 16:33:16 »
Did anyone get a tracking number last night?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #2830 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 16:49:54 »
Yikes, this happened on 2 or 3 of my switches but I noticed before soldering either pin. I was able to pop them back out and straightened the pin before soldering it to the PCB. I haven't experienced any damage to the PCB from the switch pins getting squashed.

And for solder, I've always used 60/40 rosin core for keyboards. For this project, I ordered some "fancy" Kester 63/37 rosin core. Not sure that the composition of the solder made a difference, but thinner wire is easier to work with. I considered picking up some flux too, but I read that you probably won't need it unless you're desoldering and I did not miss it during assembly.
63/37 solder has a slightly lower melting point than 60/40. If you're soldering by hand you won't be able to tell the difference but in industrial settings where a higher melting temperature means you have to spend more money on power, they go for the one with the lower melting temperature.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2831 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 16:50:49 »
What town do these ship from?  I have a shipment from a place I don’t recognize and I’m out of town.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #2832 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 16:59:13 »
What town do these ship from?  I have a shipment from a place I don’t recognize and I’m out of town.
I have El Monte on my tracking.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2833 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 18:04:01 »

63/37 solder has a slightly lower melting point than 60/40. If you're soldering by hand you won't be able to tell the difference but in industrial settings where a higher melting temperature means you have to spend more money on power, they go for the one with the lower melting temperature.

It's not just about the melting point. 63/37 is an eutectic mixture which means that the whole compound melts at the same temperature in a homogeneous fashion, whereas 60/40 has a plasticity range, and this is almost definitely a difference that you CAN tell intuitively by feel, that is somewhat separate from the fact that it's a lower melting point.

In short, 63/37 mixtures 'feel' like they melt instantaneously whereas 60/40 'feel' like the mixture is more sluggish, appearing more gel-like while it's in its melting point range before reaching its liquid phase, and this manifests in a very real, easy to feel difference. 63/37 solder mixtures are easier to work with not because they're 'fancy', but because of the metallurgical nature of the particular mixture which lends itself to being easier to handle, especially if you're working with low cost, casual style soldering iron which may not have the best temperature sensing or control.

Do yourself a favour, use 63/37 mixture, it will make your life easier (doesn't have to be Kester solder, although I do prefer using Kester brand due to their excellent flux formulation which wets out the pads and contacts in a pretty even and well controlled fashion which makes for a nice consistent joint. If you're using the Kester 44 formulation, I recommend wiping off the flux residue after soldering because they are quite dark in colour and look a little ugly (supposedly non-corrosive though, so I suppose it's not technically mandatory)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #2834 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 21:30:55 »
Hi everyone,

Sorry tracking wasn't sent out. You'll get it tomorrow and it'll go out on Friday
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2835 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 04:34:49 »
Hi everyone,

Sorry tracking wasn't sent out. You'll get it tomorrow and it'll go out on Friday
I just ordered something from Keyclack (emailed support@ about it), for once I hope my package isn't in the pile and hope they can be combined (hopefully dodging some import taxes) :p
pls gief bbv2

Offline Faux

« Reply #2836 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 01:01:15 »
Were tracking numbers sent out?

Offline jjwax

« Reply #2837 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 08:41:50 »
Anyone get tracking?

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #2838 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 08:49:05 »
Guessing since it's now Thanksgiving weekend in the states we will not be seeing any more progress until next week at the minimum.

Offline Oscar2177

« Reply #2839 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 16:34:13 »
Have they sold the extras already?

« Reply #2840 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 16:35:18 »
Have they sold the extras already?
The extras aren't going up for sale until all the group buy orders have shipped.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline Oscar2177

« Reply #2841 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 16:45:52 »
Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Gamecat

« Reply #2842 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 12:16:59 »
Hi everyone,

Any updates?  I see BKE domes being sent so hoping M65's are also making progress!

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2843 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 00:23:50 »
Mini photo shoot! Loaded with the Sentraq S65 (had to do a slight modification to fit it)

Rose Gold

With my S3 Gold Apple Watch

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #2844 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 00:31:17 »
Mini photo shoot! Loaded with the Sentraq S65 (had to do a slight modification to fit it)

Rose Gold

Show Image

With my S3 Gold Apple Watch
Show Image

Show Image

Mmm 2 sexy 4 me

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #2845 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 10:25:48 »
Any news about the time to run r2 of this?

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2846 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:35:24 »
By the way, I got the Sentraq to fit by just snipping off a little of the PCB at the top.  It came close to the traces for LEDs, but I was able to avoid them.

I'll be using the extra one Jchan is sending me with the brass plate.  Then I'll be able to swap it out whenever I want split bars vs whole.

Speaking of my mistakes, I've been using leadless solder to try to save my brain a little.  I'm assuming it's why I had a bunch of difficulty (that, and I didn't switch to my fine tip while desoldering before).  Switching and patience really helped.

Offline jjwax

« Reply #2847 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 12:27:08 »
Any news about the time to run r2 of this?

For now they say no r2

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #2848 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:30:39 »
By the way, I got the Sentraq to fit by just snipping off a little of the PCB at the top.  It came close to the traces for LEDs, but I was able to avoid them.

I'll be using the extra one Jchan is sending me with the brass plate.  Then I'll be able to swap it out whenever I want split bars vs whole.

Speaking of my mistakes, I've been using leadless solder to try to save my brain a little.  I'm assuming it's why I had a bunch of difficulty (that, and I didn't switch to my fine tip while desoldering before).  Switching and patience really helped.

If it's the fumes you are worried about, those from lead free solder are actually much more harmful due to having to use much more active flux.

Offline Dominathan

« Reply #2849 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:32:41 »

If it's the fumes you are worried about, those from lead free solder are actually much more harmful due to having to use much more active flux.

God damn it.