Author Topic: For the IBM keyboard buff  (Read 1346 times)

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
For the IBM keyboard buff
« on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 05:44:19 »
Just the other day I remembered having an IBM keyboard on one of my first computers (386). I can't for the life of me remember the model, so I'd appreciate any help from you IBM keyboard buffs out there.
What I do remember:
1. Full keyset, however form factor very small (footprint much smaller than say Model M). I distinctly recall that there was none of that extra space on top that you see on your typical M.
2. Definitely clicky keys, however between BS and Cherry Blues, they were actually quite close to blues. In fact, I distinctly recall a very high-pitched and light click. More akin to teeth chattering than to heavier thumps.
3. The keyboard couldn't have been produced after 1990.

I know that's minimal info, but that's part of the reason why I can't find it myself! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: For the IBM keyboard buff
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 06:09:06 »
At or XT F maybe?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 06:31:05 »
Sounds like an M2 except for the date.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:08:46 »
I'm agreeing on a Model M2. Here are some pictures of one:
http://deskthority.net/f-o-r-s-a-l-e-f58/ibm-model-m2-nib-t2868.html
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 19:04:54 »
Sounds like an M2 except for the date.

Bingo! Superstar.  :thumb:

Did I get my dates wrong? What's the matter?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 19:16:55 »

I don't own an M2 any more, but I thought that they came later, early-mid-1990s, I may be wrong.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 00:39:36 »

I don't own an M2 any more, but I thought that they came later, early-mid-1990s, I may be wrong.

wasn't the ibm 386 available in the early '90s? I think the PS/2 model 35 came out in like 1991 or something.

edit: looks like the model 70 and 80 (towers) came with a 386 back in 1988 so I could be wrong, but I think they came with a 1391401 (model M not M2) keyboard
addendum: looks like it came with the IBM PS/1 in 1990 http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_M2