Author Topic: Check out what I got on eBay  (Read 7018 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Check out what I got on eBay
« on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 21:51:00 »
For $37 American:

Offline Waves77

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 22:36:03 »
Very nice find for that price :)

What type of alps are in these? Are they all black?
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 23:05:48 »
No, there are all white.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 23:18:23 »
Quote from: xsphat;5579
No, there are all white.

How would you compare them to the black ones? Are all Northgates equiped with white alps?

Funny thing is I was actually watching this item :) There's also a Lexmark model M NIB being auctioned BTW...
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 23:31:54 »
The white ones are very similar to the black one except for two differences I know of - for one thing, the white switches are clicky and the other thing is that they feel a bit cleaner because the blacks have a bumper at the bottom, a stop, that they whites don't have. When they are next to each other, I can feel that difference ...

And AFAIK, Northgates all had white Alps switches.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 23:45:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;5581
The white ones are very similar to the black one except for two differences I know of - for one thing, the white switches are clicky and the other thing is that they feel a bit cleaner because the blacks have a bumper at the bottom, a stop, that they whites don't have. When they are next to each other, I can feel that difference ...

And AFAIK, Northgates all had white Alps switches.

Thanks for the info. I asked b/c I find the black alps that are in my Dell AT101W to feel incredibly different than the white Alps in my Apple Extended II. I might have to get one of these to compare one of these days ;)
Current collection:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 01:00:48 »
I thought the Apple Extended II had pink sliders (VERY similar to the blacks). And I also have heard that old school black Alps switches are more linear than modern ones. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 02:32:43 »
Quote from: xsphat;5577
For $37 American: ...
That looks pretty clean. Congrats.

The sliders in my Extended II look white. Some say it's supposed to be beige. I think it's white. Pinks are in the Extended I, which in the pics look orange to me. I think.

I'm still puzzeled how the white Alps in the Extended II are supposed to feel. If you press a key slowly it goes through at least two minor resistances, none of which qualify as tactile, IMO. Then, on its way up the key slightly clicks. I also think the rubber that is supposed to make bottoming out more quiet is too soft. It is also not durable, on my Ext. II it has desintegrated on Enter and Delete. Obviously, I don't like these switches too much.

My old laptop keyboard however also has white Alps switches which are perfectly smooth and ... linear. I love these.

Color is not a good indicator with Alps switches, I guess.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 02:51:11 »
The white Alps in the MK96 I'm using right now are great - they're responsive as hell, the click happens on the way down at the same time the keystroke registers and there is resistance going down and pushing on the way up. They bottom hard and loud, Just how I like it.

And I agree, I don't think color is a reliable way to judge what you'll get with Alps, but thank whatever I never got any like you're talking about.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 03:48:39 »
Didn't you say somewhere that you always bottom out? Why do you care about click/tactile then? That's two confirmations per key press.

Linear switches would be perfect for you. ;)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 06:16:39 »
Quote from: Waves77;5582
I might have to get one of these to compare one of these days ;)

If you want to try white Alps, why not pick up one if the Macally 'boards up on eBay?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 08:58:09 »
Quote from: sofa king;5587
Didn't you say somewhere that you always bottom out? Why do you care about click/tactile then? That's two confirmations per key press.

... um, OK.

Offline iMav

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 09:12:25 »
Quote from: sofa king;5587

Sofa King makes a good point.

The true advantage of tactile feedback is that you receive confirmation that a key has actuated, so you don't have to slam your fingers down to the bottom.  With the blue cherries, I found that I was able to "flick" my fingers at the keys and not bottom out much at all.

More importantly, with all keyboards I've used that provide decent tactile feedback, I am, at the very least, decelerating my keystroke if/when I hit bottom.  So I am saving myself from that abuse that comes from slamming, full force, to the bottom of the keystroke over and over.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 June 2008, 10:14:07 »
Exactly - when I bottomed out all the time, I was faster on a laptop keyboard, ignoring the tactile sensation... but now I'm even faster on a Model M, because I don't bottom out.

Anyway, congrats on the find - that's the only Northgate board I'd use, too - I hate L-shaped enters with a passion, and IIRC, that's the only one without one. (Although, if for some reason I had to have an ergonomic keyboard, and couldn't source a Model M15, I'd probably get an OmniKey Evolution, L-shaped enter and all.)

Offline Waves77

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 June 2008, 00:14:51 »
Quote from: iMav;5589
If you want to try white Alps, why not pick up one if the Macally 'boards up on eBay?

I actually got #498 of that MK96 lot ;) - I'll let you guys know how I like it.

As far as for the Alps, the ones in the extended II are definitely white, but I've only tried this one and the blacks on the AT101W - I'd definitely say the white ones are a lot rounder and softer than the black ones. It could be an age thing as well, I've been keeping my eye on a spanish NIB extended II. There's someone on ebay selling them one at a time, but they keep getting sniped away from me (I'm not willing to spend that much on it, and don't have the time to do any sniping myself). We'll see also how the Macally compares to the old Dell. At some point I'll try a Northgate and a Focus, as they're often on ebay.

Black Alps we're definitely a close #2 for me against the buckling springs, but the blue cherries will probably will take that spot. I'll have to get a hold of a board that I can use long enough before I make up my mind though ;)

xsphat - I bottom out most of the time too, and different keyswitches still make a huge difference to me feel wise.
Current collection:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 June 2008, 00:27:10 »
Quote from: Waves77;5648
xsphat - I bottom out most of the time too, and different keyswitches still make a huge difference to me feel wise.

Word.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 June 2008, 00:52:59 »
You know, if you don't feel like doing it by hand, there are free tools that will do the sniping for you...

(I prefer doing it by hand. Winning an item with 2 seconds to go with a sniping tool isn't fun. Winning an item with 7 seconds to go, sniping on a cell phone, using Opera Mini? That is fun. :D)

Offline iMav

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 June 2008, 04:53:19 »
As far as eBay is concerned, there is rarely anything that I absolutely HAVE to have.  I simply put in the max I am willing to pay.  If someone comes along and outbids me, good for them...it was worth more to them.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 June 2008, 09:07:03 »
I find that, due to psychological effects on other people, seeing bids on an item before it ends, I get things for cheaper due to sniping. ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 14:17:35 »
The Northgate 101 came today and my god, these things really aren't made for Macs. I had a ***** of a time just getting it to work, and when I did, every time I hit the Cap Lock key, the board would enter into some sort of programming mode or something and all the LEDs blinked and no input was recorded. I finally got it to work by turning on Dip switch 1 & 3 and leaving the rest off, and using OS X to remap the Caps Lock to control, control to option and alt to command. But in any case it works now, but there is a dead key - the x - but that isn't a big deal. I'm thinking about having the Nothgate Repair guy do a cleaning and fix that switch, and the M key feels close to the end of it's life as well, so I'll have him switch that one out too.

Oh, and BTW, this keyboard has clicky white Alps switches but a different feel than the Macally, it almost feels a bit more forgiving somehow, but all in all I like the 'board so far. It's not a hulk like the Model M, but it is a big assed full size keyboard, and I am getting into big 'boards lately.

i'm gonna call back the Northgate Repair guy (he helped me get it working just now) and make arrangements to send this puppy in to him, but I don't think I will ship it until my other new keyboard arrives. And I should spend a stretch on this 'board to see if I like it enough to repair it. Miss the x key, as you can see by the amount of times I've typed it in this post, doesn't really affect me since I rarely use it and I have the MacBook keyboard, like, right there in front of me when I need an x. The m key on the other hand, that would hurt me.

So stay tunned sports racers, more on the Northgate saga at a later date.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 15:15:19 »
I showed my wife my proud new purchase and the first thing she said is, "oh my god is that ugly." Just thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Offline meltie

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 17:13:51 »
Hehe, low WAF (wife acceptance factor) :-)

Offline iMav

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 17:44:02 »
Quote from: xsphat;5734
I showed my wife my proud new purchase and the first thing she said is, "oh my god is that ugly." Just thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Are you sure she was talking about the keyboard??

;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 18:59:42 »
Quote from: iMav;5744
Are you sure she was talking about the keyboard??

;)

Now that you mention, it your chat icon was displayed in Adium at the time ...

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 20:59:02 »
Quote from: xsphat;5747
Now that you mention, it your chat icon was displayed in Adium at the time ...

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 June 2008, 21:07:33 »
You can try to clean the alps switch yourself to get x to work again. Worked for me on my apple extended which should have the exact same switches.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 June 2008, 02:43:54 »
This Northgate rules, but it is a really tricky keyboard to operate. I had a little trouble earlier after I restarted, I couldn't get my computer to recognize the keyboard. So I did the first thing you do when that **** happens, I tried it on my wife's computer and it was recognized, but it wouldn't type the correct characters. So I messed with the dip switches a bit while I reinstalled my OS on my computer and now I'm typing on it. I don't know if this''ll last past my next restart, but for now it's grand.

BTW, how did you clean your Alps switch? I'll give it a shot.

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 June 2008, 08:54:00 »
All I did was use a Q-Tip with water and a little all surface cleaner. I cleaned around the switch, and clicked it a few times. If that doesn't work you can use contact cleaner (available at the Hardware store), and spray it inside the switch. A lot of people have done this when Alps were still omnipresent, and it worked for a lot of them.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24 June 2008, 17:55:42 »
Hey, I tried to clean the switch and I am typing this post on the Northgate right now xxxxxxXXXXXxxXxXXxxxX!

Thank you so muchfor the tip Jaydoublem, that worked like a charm. Now the only thing I don't like about this keyboard is it has to "warm up" for almost 4 minutes after I start my computer.  It just sits there with the LEDs blinking intermittently and won't register any input. After that, it's golden. My model M does the same thing but the LEDs only flash a few times, not for 4 entire minutes.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 24 June 2008, 17:58:16 »
Hmm, is it only on that computer, or on all computers?

If it's on all computers, I'm going to suspect that there's a chip not seated properly, or maybe even weak traces on the PCB or bad caps something.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 24 June 2008, 18:07:59 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;5879
Hmm, is it only on that computer, or on all computers?

If it's on all computers, I'm going to suspect that there's a chip not seated properly, or maybe even weak traces on the PCB or bad caps something.

I haven't test it but I will. I was thinking about sending it off to the Northgate Repair guy, but I am hesitant while it still works.

What do you think it would be if it starts up right away on the wife's computer?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 24 June 2008, 19:59:59 »
I emailed Bob from Northgate Repair and he said it is most likely my cord. I searched eBay and they have them for about $5. I think I'm going to try that.

One strange thing about these Northgates is they have a female PS/2 plug on the keyboard, and they include a PS/2 to AT cable with an AT to PS/2 cable attached to that. All these are original on mine, and Bob told me he replaces the cables with male to male PS/2 cables first on his refurbs, so I think this is the best thing to try because I really like this keyboard.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 24 June 2008, 23:39:51 »
If it fires right up on your wife's computer, then it's either a current sensitivity thing (the fact that your Model M acts up is what tipped me off to that, a lot of motherboards don't get along with Model Ms,) or something wrong with your motherboard.

In either case, I just break out a USB adapter when that problem crops up.

Anyway, what's shipping on those $5 male-male Mini-DIN-6 cables? Looks like Office Depot has a Belkin for $5.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 24 June 2008, 23:59:48 »
On eBay they are $3 and $2.50 shipping for a 6'.

And I don't have a choice to hook up the PS/2 over USB because me and my wife have only owned Macs. My adapter has worded great since I bought it, and I think $5.50 is an acceptable price to pay to get rid of all these F'ing adapters.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 June 2008, 00:01:38 »
Ah, didn't realize you already were using a USB adapter.

In that case, try a different one - shouldn't matter what computer you're doing it on.

I find that, for everything but the Model M13 (for some unknown reason - but it's only the TrackPoint that doesn't work) the Belkin F5U119vE1 works great. IIRC, I paid $13 for the latest one I got at Wal-Mart.