Author Topic: SGI USB keyboard opened up  (Read 3051 times)

Offline D-EJ915

SGI USB keyboard opened up
« on: Tue, 22 July 2008, 12:31:14 »
I popped open one of my canadian french USB SGI keyboards today because I haven't opened one yet so I thought it would be fun.

The casing is actually that, a casing, which goes around the actual keyboard itself so I popped the top off.  It actually has 2 extended grip things on the side that hold the top on so you have to stick something in there to pop them out but that's really easy.

I flipped it over:

then took it out:

I used it for a bit on my desk, there's an RF chocke that the cables on the back go through so it stood on top of that and held it up:

this is the key switch:

and the side profile of the keyboard in the bottom casing:

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 July 2008, 12:45:05 »
Looks like a solid piece of kit.  What layout is that?  I don't suppose they still make these things any more.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 July 2008, 12:53:39 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;6813
Looks like a solid piece of kit.  What layout is that?  I don't suppose they still make these things any more.

canadian french layout.  They were made for the Visual Workstation line of computers (320, 540, etc.) and this guys sells them if you don't want azerty labels you have to tell him though.  He has several other kinds as well like dutch, etc.  I think there are the PS/2 ones and those are terrible so make sure it's USB.  I map mine for X Windows as having 2 controls and no caps lock ( who uses that crap anyway )

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 July 2008, 13:00:56 »
I see.  He sells them pretty cheaply, it's tempting.  You didn't mention how it feels in use or what it sounds like.  Looks to me like it's pretty heavy too.  Do those strange diagonal-arrow keys (where page-up/down would normally be) actually do anything on non-SGI systems?

Offline Waves77

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 July 2008, 20:19:33 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;6816
I see.  He sells them pretty cheaply, it's tempting.  You didn't mention how it feels in use or what it sounds like.  Looks to me like it's pretty heavy too.  Do those strange diagonal-arrow keys (where page-up/down would normally be) actually do anything on non-SGI systems?

I have an old SGI board as well. Don't have the extra arrows, so wouldn't be able to tell you, but I'd consider them not really worth owning based on key feel.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 July 2008, 22:59:06 »
The diagonal arrow is home, they took the pack of keys above the inverted T and stuck them on the numpad as well.

Lemme think about the feeling, I'll record a clip of myself typing, I'm actually recording myself typing this sentence.  I'm not going too fast but whatever, gah, mistakes XD.  The keys feel more than my other keyboards, the XT keyboard I have is louder and the black PS/2 SGI ones are harder to depress but this one feels more solid and smoother.

It's heavier than all my keyboards but my XT which is the only one with a metal case.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 July 2008, 16:25:16 »
D-EJ915: We do have a keyboard audio clips forum... :)