Author Topic: Help!!!!!  (Read 2339 times)

Offline itlnstln

Help!!!!!
« on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 10:16:48 »
I having been using my Northgate Evolution for the past few weeks, and I absolutely love it...  Until today.  I was using my PC, and when I went to type, the keys stopped working.  I rebooted the machine, and when I went to type, the keyboard types the wrong letters (when I push "a," i get "f," etc.).  There does not seem to be any pattern to what letters will type.  I tried different AT->PS2 adapters, different PC's, and it still does not work.  Is there a way to reset Northgate keyboards (it is programmable; I may have entered into the programming state accidently, don't know how, though)?  Please help!!!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 10:50:17 »
My Northgate has a reset button on it inside the compartment under the logo on top. It's big and blaze orange so I doubt you'd miss it if your's is the same. Hey wait, didn't you say you got it NIB? Don't you have a manual? If not, here's a link to some online Northgate manuals by the company that made them:
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/Northgate_OmniKey_Keyboards
If that doesn't work, give the Northgate Repair guy a call, he helped me when I had trouble figuring out my Omnikey.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Help!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 10:56:24 »
I don't think the Evolution has the DIP switches, and therefore doesn't have the reset button under the door.

Offline itlnstln

Fixed!!!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 10:59:37 »
Thanks, xsphat.  The Evolution does not have DIP/External Switches.  I had looked at those manuals you linked to, but they didn't help... but Bob at Northgate Repair did (see below).  Apparently, this is a known-issue, and his fix worked.

Hi Don,

There are two fixes.  The first one is permanent and the keyboard has to come here to be fixed.  The second and non-permanent you can do.  It will have to be done again when you hit the key combination that screws it up.

Shut the computer down, power off.   Hold the Escape key down and power up, do not release the Escape key until the computer beeps at you or you have to enter a password or do something.  Then let it boot normally and you will be able to type again, until the next time and there will be a next time.

This is a known problem with all Northgate programmable keyboards and the cure is a chip removal.

Thanks,
Bob

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Help!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 11:02:38 »
Glad to help.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Help!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 11:02:39 »
Interesting.  

I'd be doing some research into what is required to remove that chip.  No reason you can't do it yourself.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Help!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 11:04:16 »
Ask him if you lose programmability when doing that mod.

Offline itlnstln

Help!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 July 2008, 11:33:45 »
I might do it myself as I do not really care about programmability (from what I understand, there is not much record of how to program the Evolutions, anyway).  I don't think this will cause too much of a problem.  I probably hit some weird key combo that borked it, but it is an easy, free and non-invasive fix, so I am not too concerned.  I'm just glad I have my keyboard back.  I was having to use a POS Dell board as a replacement (I am at work and did not have a Model M handy).