Author Topic: gmk legends, what creative freedom do we have?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Giorgio

gmk legends, what creative freedom do we have?
« on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:37:15 »
When deciding which symbols will appear on a GMK doubleshot key, what creative freedom do we have?
Consider for example the square braket, usually found on a 1u key, can we decide to use it on any other key, for example on the 1.25 u key?
In what position and what sequences can it appear?

Or maybe the molds are completely fixed, and the symbol cannot appear in a different position...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: gmk legends, what creative freedom do we have?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:47:28 »
You have the freedom to use whatever legends they already have.  My understanding is that they don't do custom legends and, if they did, the cutting fee would be exorbitant.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:49:22 by nubbinator »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:48:54 »
You have the freedom to use whatever legends they already have.  My understanding is that they don't do custom legends and, if they did, they would be exorbitantly priced.
Is there a list of all GMK legends available somewhere?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:50:29 »
You have the freedom to use whatever legends they already have.  My understanding is that they don't do custom legends and, if they did, they would be exorbitantly priced.
From what Ivan has said in the past they don't even know the extent of their legend catalog.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:52:29 »
From what Ivan has said in the past they don't even know the extent of their legend catalog.

In other words, there's infinite possibility until their finite catalog is fully known?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:57:32 »
So it would be impossible to have a keycap like the number 4 and 5 (from the top)?
Probably I'm wrong, but I'm thinking about the typography process, where we can move the characters as we want.

You have the freedom to use whatever legends they already have.  My understanding is that they don't do custom legends and, if they did, the cutting fee would be exorbitant.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 10:02:19 by Giorgio »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 10:03:38 »
In secret, I hope that the JTKeycaps venture can hold up to GMK standards. I got the impression from Bunny's answers, that we might have something similar to PMK in the future.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 10:11:15 »
I don't think they can do it.

If you have any chance at custom legends, JTKeycaps is probably the place to ask right now as they are just starting out. Community input on some cool legends would most likely be welcomed.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 12:29:52 »
WHAT? :eek: How is that possible? They don't have a full catalog of molds they have, is that what are you saying? Jesus Christ, that's unbelievable.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:02:14 »
I know for a fact that there are some limits.

They can do a 1.75u D-profile fulltouch capslock key with 'Control' legend, but they cannot do a stepped version. They can only do 'Ctrl' for that.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:24:06 »
Basically... if you have seen it on a Cherry keyboard they likely still have it. If you have never seen it... you can ask but they probably don't. Though I have gotten them to find things that no one has probably asked for since the mid 80's. They do have a lot of weird stuff actually. If they don't have it, they don't have it. They are not taking custom doubleshot orders and may never. If you want something new and/or different on a key, you can have it pad printed only.

They do have a catalog, but it's a big paper book they got from Cherry that was from the 80's and they have not gotten around to digitizing it or having anything available for customer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:28:39 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:33:23 »
Basically... if you have seen it on a Cherry keyboard they likely still have it. If you have never seen it... you can ask but they probably don't. Though I have gotten them to find things that no one has probably asked for since the mid 80's. They do have a lot of weird stuff actually. If they don't have it, they don't have it. They are not taking custom doubleshot orders and may never. If you want something new and/or different on a key, you can have it pad printed only.

They do have a catalog, but it's a big paper book they got from Cherry that was from the 80's and they have not gotten around to digitizing it or having anything available for customer.
I would gladly take a temporary job at GMK just to digitize this catalog.