Author Topic: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64/MX 60% [IN STOCK DEC 7]  (Read 41108 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
They're back for the holidays

3D printed 60% cases for alps64 and dz60 type boards. Printed in-house by me.

I'm keeping this thread really simple, so if you want more info see the IC form https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98987.0

Cases are $59 + shipping. These are in stock and will ship within a week of ordering. Check them out on my site below.

https://rndkbd.com/products/adk64-60-keyboard-case

3 colour options are available:
  • Space Grey
  • Classic Beige (Color matched to AMIGA 500 case color)
  • Translucent
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2020, 16:46:03 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:51:37 »
Approved! GL w GB
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:55:51 by Signature »
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:01:11 »
Sweet! In

Offline yaya

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:10:53 »
In.

Also, maybe bcc folks next time on email?

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:15:46 »
Tough decision for me between the beige and the space grey. I ended up going beige because I figured dark grey is easier to find in other groupbuys but its hard to get nice beige colors on metal cases. I am really looking forward to the case. I know keyboardbelle does a great job with her 3d printed cases.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:24:40 »
In.

Also, maybe bcc folks next time on email?

Oh jeez, I knew something looked awry with that. Sorry folks.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 19:46:32 »
Awesome! In for 2.

Questions:
1. I requested both to have the apple logo cutout. I only have one apple logo however, and am not 100% sure I even want to use it, but my assumption is that the indentation could look good on its own. Do you have any photos without the logo in place so we can get an idea of what it looks like?
2. There's no harm in having the center mount even if you use Alps, right? I ordered both with it in place even though I'll be using orange Alps.

Thanks again for making this happen!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 20:05:54 »
Awesome! In for 2.

Questions:
1. I requested both to have the apple logo cutout. I only have one apple logo however, and am not 100% sure I even want to use it, but my assumption is that the indentation could look good on its own. Do you have any photos without the logo in place so we can get an idea of what it looks like?
2. There's no harm in having the center mount even if you use Alps, right? I ordered both with it in place even though I'll be using orange Alps.

http://imgur.com/gallery/19P8aRl

There are a few pictures of the logo.

And I used 6 posts on my personal ones. There are no compatiblity issues, it just makes it a bit more rigid. It's not better or worse, it's judt a matter of preference.

Offline sam278

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 20:38:18 »
In. Just ordered the space grey :)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 20:41:42 »
29/50 as of this post. Looks like this is only going to be a few days of GB at this rate!

Offline gbchk

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 20:52:02 »
Awesome! In for 2.

Questions:

http://imgur.com/gallery/19P8aRl

There are a few pictures of the logo.

And I used 6 posts on my personal ones. There are no compatiblity issues, it just makes it a bit more rigid. It's not better or worse, it's judt a matter of preference.

Sweet, looks great even without the logo. Thanks for the quick response.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 21:38:36 »
Whew, glad I caught this GB! I'm in for a beige one! Was tempted to go with space grey, but thought it would look best with the classic AEK beige. Can't wait to transplant my AEK64 into this bad boy! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2019, 14:27:16 by Rob27shred »

Offline EmptierVoid

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 01:39:04 »
Finally a board to my salmons!

I had answer the form twice because I forgot to add my whole address there.

So the first form is invalid...  :-[

Offline walie

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 06:30:01 »
Submitted a form for a transparent one. I was planning on getting an acrylic Tofu, but this case looks too good to pass up. Quick question, is it possible to remove the stem under the space bar in addition to the center one? I like my keyboards flexy.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 07:51:28 »
Submitted a form for a transparent one. I was planning on getting an acrylic Tofu, but this case looks too good to pass up. Quick question, is it possible to remove the stem under the space bar in addition to the center one? I like my keyboards flexy.

Being that these are 3D printed with plastic if they can't accommodate your request it would be very easy to remove with a dremel & a cutoff wheel. 

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 08:17:47 »
50/50

I've closed the GB form. If you'd like to be on the waitlist in the event someone drops out/doesn't pay, please DM me on here.

I'll start invoicing later today.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 00:45:45 »
I've got all my shipping logistics worked out. I should be able to begin invoicing tomorrow evening.

Invoicing will include shipping for US residents (Flat rate).

The INTL participants I will contact individually, as I will most likely overcharge and then refund the difference for shipping (Family and friends transfer, no fee) so we can get the amount right with minimal paypal fees.

Please pay your invoices ASAP so we can get to production.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 16:01:55 »
I've got all my shipping logistics worked out. I should be able to begin invoicing tomorrow evening.

Invoicing will include shipping for US residents (Flat rate).

The INTL participants I will contact individually, as I will most likely overcharge and then refund the difference for shipping (Family and friends transfer, no fee) so we can get the amount right with minimal paypal fees.

Please pay your invoices ASAP so we can get to production.

Good to hear, I'll keep an eye out for my invoice tonight. :thumb:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64 ALL INVOICES SENT
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 21:45:13 »
All invoices are out. If you are in the GB but didn't get one, email me ASAP.

As per my standard spiel in the invoice:

Non-US customers: Please make sure your address is correct, as I am not familiar with how to structure addresses for your country. If something needs to be fixed, don't pay the invoice and email me, I can correct it. :)

If the cases do not match your order, please email me immediately and I will make the necessary changes.
The following codes are used to identify the case configuration.
YR = Apple logo & removed center post
YK = Apple logo & kept center post
NR = No apple logo & removed center post
NK = No apple logo & kept center post

As soon everyone is paid, I'll get the order submitted to Belle. I'll be bugging slow payers on Friday, and b̶r̶e̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶e̶c̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶l̶-̶p̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ revoking spots to people on the waitlist if they're not paid by Monday morning.

A potential R2 could happen for those that missed out. Here's your chance to get on the email list (USING BCC THIS TIME I SWEAR) when that comes around.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WVlvjTUEbI7-__oo242PtvnfmYf2dZ6oU08EsAaEGns

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 21:50:59 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline sam278

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 22:03:00 »
Just paid!

Definitely looking forward to whenever these ship out. Do you think that the timeline may be a bit different due to how much quicker the GB ended than what was expected?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 22:14:57 »
Just paid!

Definitely looking forward to whenever these ship out. Do you think that the timeline may be a bit different due to how much quicker the GB ended than what was expected?

Yeah, it's going to change. Barring any major hiccups (knock on a wooden 60% case), here is the new timeline.

Monday Feb 18 - submit order to Belle
Monday Feb 18 - printing begins

Now, I'm not sure but Belle has told me shes going to try and get her whole print farm running to get these printed, so I'd say 1-3 weeks, most likely on the lower end of that. Then they're sent to me, and I'll get them all mailed out quickly.

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 23:07:39 »
Invoice paid.

Will Belle be doing her custom packaging before sending to you or will you just get a stack of cases to be mailed?
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 23:32:08 »
Invoice paid.

Will Belle be doing her custom packaging before sending to you or will you just get a stack of cases to be mailed?

I'll ask. I'd wager no, since it's a bulk order. With that being said I'm doing boxes and wrap and all that good stuff to keep them safe.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 08:11:20 »
Paid my invoice last night, can't wait for this case! I was planning on straight transferring my sig build into it, but I scored a Magnavox Videowriter the other day so now I'm not sure. I think one of these cases with a brass plate full of SKCM Browns would be one hell of a build! Although on the other hand I'm not sure I want to harvest the Videowriter & I do have batches of loose oranges, damped creams, & damped whites. Decisions, decisions.... :-\

Edit: Just noticed the IC for Rd2, count me in for another one for sure if that happens! I actually wanted to grab two this first time around, but figured that would be pretty greedy with only 50 spots to go around. Also the possibility of more color options would make the wait well worth itIMO.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2019, 08:16:40 by Rob27shred »

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 08:17:09 »
Paid my invoice last night, can't wait for this case! I was planning on straight transferring my sig build into it, but I scored a Magnavox Videowriter the other day so now I'm not sure. I think one of these cases with a brass plate full of SKCM Browns would be one hell of a build! Although on the other hand I'm not sure I want to harvest the Videowriter & I do have batches of loose oranges, damped creams, & damped whites. Decisions, decisions.... :-\

hey, can i ask what you are thinking of using for a plate and pcb?  i have a donor AEK board to harvest but dont have my pcb yet, i was thinking of getting HASU's when it comes back in stock, but i would be interested in a brass plate if tehre is one that supports alps.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 09:28:24 »
You can get hasus plate cut from many different metals from laserboost. I still swear by the fr4 material though.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 11:21:07 »

hey, can i ask what you are thinking of using for a plate and pcb?  i have a donor AEK board to harvest but dont have my pcb yet, i was thinking of getting HASU's when it comes back in stock, but i would be interested in a brass plate if tehre is one that supports alps.

I'm not 100% sure what PCB I'll using yet TBH, either an XD60 v.3 https://www.deskcandy.xyz/shop/xd60-v30-5bjgj?category=Alps-compatible which I already have or a Hasu ALPS64 when they come back in stock if it's soon. I'm leaning toward the XD60 v.3 since I already have a ALPS64 build in the AEK layout & I'd like to do an ALPS build with a 60% WKL with split backspace layout. Although that would require me getting a plate custom cut & finding the right caps for it. For the plate I am definitely going brass though, either one custom cut for the layout I described above from Laserboost or the brass AEK plate Deskcandy has in stock right now https://www.deskcandy.xyz/shop/in-stock-12mm-aek-brass-plate?category=Alps-compatible.

Since you already have a donor AEK I would suggest going that route as the AEK caps are some of the nicest ALPS caps out there IME. For the PCB Hasu's ALPS64 is a great option, but I'm pretty sure the 60% Clueboard PCB, Paladin 64 PCB, & a few others support the AEK layout as well. So you could look for them if you do not want to wait for Hasu to restock. As far as plates go it's slim pickings for proper ALPS compatibility, I'd say either Hasu's FR4 AEK layout plate or the brass AEK plate I linked to above would be the easiest route to go with what you got. Although there is always making one on http://builder.swillkb.com/ to have custom cut if you'd prefer another material. Also there is a lot of universal 60% plates out there that support ALPS switches, but not ALPS stabilizers. I really wouldn't recommend that route unless you have a set of caps like ALPS Throwback that uses cruciform mounts for all the stabilized keys, but you can get Costar stabilizers to work with caps that have ALPS stabilizer mounts by bending your own wires.

Anyways, hope this info helps you out getting your build all together! :thumb:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 12:27:40 »
Nice. Also, ai03 has a better plate generator on his site

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 13:18:12 »
Only 8 unpaid invoices left! Get them in so printing can begin!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:40:56 »
sent you a PM

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:17:36 »

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:55:26 »
Nice. Also, ai03 has a better plate generator on his site

Could you provide a link to it please? I would definitely be interested in giving it a try.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:03:44 »
Kbplate.ai03.me

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:26:13 »
Kbplate.ai03.me

Awesome, thank you very much! :)

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:44:43 »
 Rob27shred, thanks for the long reply, so it sounds like a hasu + desk candy brass plate would be the best combo with my donor AEK?  that or i could save a few bucks by doing FR4 if i was ok with that....alright still trying to decide how fancy i wanna make this build!  can't wait to see what other people come up with!

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 15:28:10 »
Rob27shred, thanks for the long reply, so it sounds like a hasu + desk candy brass plate would be the best combo with my donor AEK?  that or i could save a few bucks by doing FR4 if i was ok with that....alright still trying to decide how fancy i wanna make this build!  can't wait to see what other people come up with!

No problem! Yes I would agree Hasu ALPS64 + Deskcandy brass AEK plate on the high end & Hasu ALPS64 + his FR4 AEK plate on the lower end would your best bet to get your build done with what you already have. :thumb: Also it is gonna be exciting to see what people come up with for their builds with these cases!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 19:35:35 »
5 people still have to pay invoices. I realize this is a holiday weekend, so I'll start subbing in people on the waitlist Tuesday evening.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 00:27:01 »
I potentially have a few spots available if some people fail to pay, since I want to get this show on the road. If you're wanting a case, please DM me with "Waitlist 50" in the subject line.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64 ALL PAID, PLACING ORDER
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 19:36:13 »
ALL ABOARD

Looks like everyone is paid up. There is still one spot left from non-payers (sorry non-conus people, INTL shipping is expensive, I get it), so if you want in, let me know. I'll be sending a fat cheque to keyboardbelle in the next few days, and she hopes to start printing on March 1st. If all goes well, I should be distributing these to you guys in the back half of March.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2019, 09:04:17 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 13:21:16 »
Belle has been paid. Production will start once her printer upgrades arrive this week, and we are in track to beat the estimate of having it in your mailbox by March 30!

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 22:01:24 »
Belle has been paid. Production will start once her printer upgrades arrive this week, and we are in track to beat the estimate of having it in your mailbox by March 30!

HYPE! :cool:

Offline nguyenhimself

[GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64 ALL PAID, PLACING ORDER
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 00:45:22 »

I'm not 100% sure what PCB I'll using yet TBH, either an XD60 v.3 https://www.deskcandy.xyz/shop/xd60-v30-5bjgj?category=Alps-compatible which I already have or a Hasu ALPS64 when they come back in stock if it's soon. I'm leaning toward the XD60 v.3 since I already have a ALPS64 build in the AEK layout & I'd like to do an ALPS build with a 60% WKL with split backspace layout. Although that would require me getting a plate custom cut & finding the right caps for it. For the plate I am definitely going brass though, either one custom cut for the layout I described above from Laserboost or the brass AEK plate Deskcandy has in stock right now https://www.deskcandy.xyz/shop/in-stock-12mm-aek-brass-plate?category=Alps-compatible.

Since you already have a donor AEK I would suggest going that route as the AEK caps are some of the nicest ALPS caps out there IME. For the PCB Hasu's ALPS64 is a great option, but I'm pretty sure the 60% Clueboard PCB, Paladin 64 PCB, & a few others support the AEK layout as well. So you could look for them if you do not want to wait for Hasu to restock. As far as plates go it's slim pickings for proper ALPS compatibility, I'd say either Hasu's FR4 AEK layout plate or the brass AEK plate I linked to above would be the easiest route to go with what you got. Although there is always making one on http://builder.swillkb.com/ to have custom cut if you'd prefer another material. Also there is a lot of universal 60% plates out there that support ALPS switches, but not ALPS stabilizers. I really wouldn't recommend that route unless you have a set of caps like ALPS Throwback that uses cruciform mounts for all the stabilized keys, but you can get Costar stabilizers to work with caps that have ALPS stabilizer mounts by bending your own wires.

Hi, would you elaborate why you decided to go for brass instead of aluminum for your Alps plate? I’m also deciding between those 2 materials..
Thanks.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 04:49:36 »

As we wait for the cases to be produced I'd like to reminisce where this was around this time in 2018. This was the original model. It's come a long way.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:26:03 »
Update:

Belle is almost done outfitting her printers for this production run, and is printing a final sample for tomorrow or Wednesday that will be rushed to me. Production will start after that (lets say Friday) and will take about a week.

I'll have pictures of those for you guys as soon as I get them.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:40:05 »

Hi, would you elaborate why you decided to go for brass instead of aluminum for your Alps plate? I’m also deciding between those 2 materials..
Thanks.

Hey sorry for not getting back to you sooner. As to why I am choosing a brass plate over alum. or FR4, the main reason is because I ordered my ADK64 without a center mounting post & I like my boards to have just a little bit of flex. So I'm hoping using a brass plate will give me around the right amount of flex I'm looking for as I felt alum. or FR4 would be very flexy without the center post. Then there is the bling factor as I love the way brass plates look. The last reason would be the layout I'm most likely gonna go with will require me to have a plate custom cut so I figure why not go all out if I have to do that. Hopes this helps you make a decision! :thumb:

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:40:45 »
Update:

Belle is almost done outfitting her printers for this production run, and is printing a final sample for tomorrow or Wednesday that will be rushed to me. Production will start after that (lets say Friday) and will take about a week.

I'll have pictures of those for you guys as soon as I get them.

Getting excited now! :cool:

Offline sartarelli

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 08:13:34 »
Can't wait for this! :) Any photos of final sample?

Offline the_ambyguous

• there's a fine line between click and clack
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 02:00:33 »
wait, i thought this gb fell through? can you still get in on this?
Magnavox Typewriter | AEK64 | 658-4081 | Leading Edge 3501 | Omnikey Orange | 197Stotle | MPC2000

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 08:33:05 »
GB was all filled up in 18 hours. It went fast. R2 is a great possibility after the current batch of 50 ships.

Offline walie

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 18:02:41 »
How are things going?