Author Topic: [IC] Chaos75 - Updated Pictures. Proto Type Test  (Read 8141 times)

Offline GergWorst

[IC] Chaos75 - Updated Pictures. Proto Type Test
« on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:04:14 »
“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star” - Neitzsche

Chaos75

IC Form Here: https://forms.gle/KUgyFGBqvbhVFSv86

Discord Server
Instagram

Designed by Ghosst and GergWorst

Inspiration

The current keyboard community seems to favour ‘sleek’, ‘clean’ and ‘minimalist’ boards. However, we wanted to shake things up a bit, and make something more, radical. Hence, some brainstorming and staring at abstract art centred around the theme ‘chaos’, we went with a geometrical design based.

Colourway

Presently, we intend to offer 3 colours

Silver, Dark Navy, and Dark Grey. Have a look at the actual prototypes!

Silver x GMK DMG by futurecrime

Silver x GMK Dualshot by DixieMech/OmniType

Grey x GMK 8008 by DixieMech/OmniType + 8008 Keyfu by Systematik

Navy x GMK Dots by BIIP

Technical Details Details

Angles and Weight

7 Deg Typing Angle
Brass Weight —> Unbuild board is ~2.5kg.
- We have decided to not add a design to the back of the brass weight. We've gone through many iterations and honestly, none came out that we're happy with. Plus, I'm sure the top and bottom case tells you something about the board already
PCB is QMK Compatible
Presently, we only intend to offer aluminium plates. Plate files will be released at a later date for you to cut them yourselves.

Mounting Style

We will be using a sandwich mount system. However, therein lies the problem of the bottom case. To preserve the aesthetics of the cubes while keeping the whole board together, we have utilized a mounting method inspired by various boards. For brevity's sake, we will be referring to the layers (in order from top to bottom) as:

1. top case
2. plate
3. PCB
4. bottom tray
5. bottom case
6. weight

The weight will be attached to the bottom case via 2 screws. The bottom tray, plate, pcb and top case will be attached via screws going upwards from the bottom tray. The bottom tray will be screwed to the bottom case via access holes through the plate and PCB, after the plate is mounted with the top case and bottom tray.The PCB will be designed around these mentioned holes, so that interference will be minimized. Additionally, the screws attaching the bottom tray to the bottom case will be countersunk, to avoid interference with the PCB components.

(Do ignore the old top case)

Pricing

Tentatively 550 USD without shipping and without extras.

Prices for extras will be released later once we consolidate the interest check.

Unbuilt Prototype Pictures

Some Details/To-Do

Working to build the protos now. Will upload sound test and drop some text about it soon.
I do intend to leave the prototype at a local store in Singapore (mecha.store) once built. Will have fellow members of the SGMK Community’s quotes and thoughts on here
I need better photography skills dammit.

Thank you
Huge huge thank you to Dingus and Taylor from the 40s Discord in helping with this project.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2021, 09:09:44 by GergWorst »

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
Re: [IC] Chaos75
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:06:55 »
I'm digging your shirt

Offline ZLightningZAP

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:16:42 »
GIB

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:19:38 »
i'm so sick of this layout

Offline dudewth

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 11:22:16 »
I like the design on the bottom but not a fan of it right above the F-row. Also, I like the layout with 5 keys to the right.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 12:37:03 »

does it make you want to explode?
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Shinigamii

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 12:39:50 »
Not for me, but I appreciate your creativity.  Good luck

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 15:27:51 »
but people still aren't tired of TKLs without F13 smh my head.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 15:29:04 »
Does the tray do anything? Isn't it just sandwich mount with extra steps? Is it just there to align the plate? If so, I can think of several less expensive ways to do that.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Ram

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 15:58:58 »
I feel the top design takes away from the clean look of the top, but since it fits with the theme I'm all for it, good luck!

Offline GergWorst

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 19:31:00 »
Does the tray do anything? Isn't it just sandwich mount with extra steps? Is it just there to align the plate? If so, I can think of several less expensive ways to do that.

Thanks for your response! The midtray acts as a mounting point between the top + plate, and the bottom piece. Due to the screwless design (and impossibility of having screws come from bottom up), the midpiece is needed to secure the 2 sections of the board together.

Offline TypicalOranges

Re: [IC] Chaos75 - A Crazy 75 aesthetic
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 21:44:39 »
I love minecraft

Offline Convergence

Re: [IC] Chaos75 - A Crazy 75 aesthetic
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 09:22:37 »
Very (pleasantly) surprised that the anticipated price is around $550, I imagined the design would be a lot more expensive to manufacture. Good luck with the IC!