Author Topic: [IC] GMK REDLINE | GB STARTS OCT 16TH!  (Read 80508 times)

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
Re: [IC] GMK REDLINE
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 08:42:26 »
Love the combination of colours here - red on black kits are usually a bit vibrant for me, but I'm liking the softer background for the alphas. And I'd agree the legends might need to be darker to avoid looking washed out. The meka mat also looks good, but it'd be nice to see a design with some of the novelty symbols involved

Offline Daddyfatsax

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 10:43:33 »
Let me get one of those.

Offline mytommy

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 11:53:38 »
what case is in the renders?

Offline anticlockwise5

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 12:00:35 »
I like the colors, but when the alphas and mods don't share anything at all it just looks like a hodgepodge to me.   Why no red legends?

Agreed. The mods and novelties look great but the alphas are lacking.
+1, I was expecting red alphas too...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 08:24:28 »
Can the check engine and oil pressure symbols be added?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Domantas

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 08:31:16 »
Isn't there too much color. Shade of red is ok though

Offline kecoa_langit

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 10:05:38 »

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 11:21:23 »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Couple things I would like to point out that others are commenting on.

THE ALPHAS:
The two colors that make up the alphas are the two colors that drew me into this colorway when I saw it. They are purposely low contrast. This is very similar to 8008 where the alphas were low contrast and the mods had bright colored legends. Changing the legends on the alphas to red is not an option at all imo, and making them higher contrast would kind of defeat the purpose of me even wanting to make this set. However, I really appreciate anyone who took the time to give their thoughts.

THE NOVELTIES / NAME
So this set was never meant to be a performance car-inspired set. The colorway did not stem from the idea of performance, but it came from the colors themselves. The novelties came later. The colorway was on the dashboard/instrument cluster of a car, so I decided to continue that theme with the icons you see that light up in your car. I have always liked the design of these icons and how well they mesh together as a collective unit.

The name was simply given because when one redlines their car, it shows on the dashboard/instrument clusters (where the colors were inspired from). And also the set literally has red in the colors, so it quite simply was describing the colors as well. There is GMK Grand Prix that is more focused on performance and racing, so I also saw no reason to creat novelties in that same space. However, I will be thinking more about this to see if swapping out some novelties for more performance based novelties could work and still be balanced with the other novelties.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2020, 11:32:04 by GarrettSucks »

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 19:08:59 »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Couple things I would like to point out that others are commenting on.

THE ALPHAS:
The two colors that make up the alphas are the two colors that drew me into this colorway when I saw it. They are purposely low contrast. This is very similar to 8008 where the alphas were low contrast and the mods had bright colored legends. Changing the legends on the alphas to red is not an option at all imo, and making them higher contrast would kind of defeat the purpose of me even wanting to make this set. However, I really appreciate anyone who took the time to give their thoughts.

THE NOVELTIES / NAME
So this set was never meant to be a performance car-inspired set. The colorway did not stem from the idea of performance, but it came from the colors themselves. The novelties came later. The colorway was on the dashboard/instrument cluster of a car, so I decided to continue that theme with the icons you see that light up in your car. I have always liked the design of these icons and how well they mesh together as a collective unit.

The name was simply given because when one redlines their car, it shows on the dashboard/instrument clusters (where the colors were inspired from). And also the set literally has red in the colors, so it quite simply was describing the colors as well. There is GMK Grand Prix that is more focused on performance and racing, so I also saw no reason to creat novelties in that same space. However, I will be thinking more about this to see if swapping out some novelties for more performance based novelties could work and still be balanced with the other novelties.

That's awesome, thank you for listening to the feedback. The colors are actually something I really liked initially; can't wait to see the updated novelties if any updates happen!

Offline vincenttngo1

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 19:30:59 »
deskmat looks so good! Pairs very well with the keycap set

Offline VipermanGT2

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 20:09:50 »
I love when I shift into 2nd gear after redlining in my boat.  :confused:

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 00:03:44 »
Really liking the set and deskmat! I think the colors evoke a car's dash/HUD pretty well.

Definitely appreciate the addition of 1.5u Super/1u Alt keys in the Base kit for us Mac users with Tsangan/HHKB layouts. Due to this, I opted to respond "No" to the extra Mac kit; that said, if the Mac kit was text-only like Minimal R2, I may be tempted to pick that up…

Also appreciate the detailed kitting questions in the IC form. Y'all should run similar forms in subsequent ICs; I'd love to see how the trends wax and wane per set.

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 00:04:56 »
IM IN

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 04:23:51 »
A few more kitting suggestions, this time regarding the Obscure (40s) kit:

• The 1.25u Shift in 40s isn't necessary because there's already a 1.25u Shift included in base (ISO keys), and there are no 40s boards that use two of these keys. If ISO keys are separated out of base, then this key should be included in Obscure, but otherwise it can be removed/changed.

• It'd be better if there were a second 1u Shift instead (for ortho users), so I recommend changing the 1.25u Shift in Obscure to 1u.

• The R3 1u Tab key would be better off with a generic legend (such as Code), since Tab is actually one of the less popular options on that row for ortho boards (source, relevant user survey). We've seen several sets recently changing this legend to Code or a generic-looking icon (e.g. >_, , ).

• A R3 1.25u Enter key is an optional, but nice to have addition, that adds support for popular 40s boards such as UT47.2, Whimsy, Dimple etc.

• Another optional addition is a second 1u Ctrl key, if you want to cover ortho layouts with all bottom row mods and no arrow keys (popular with some Planck/Preonic users).
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2020, 04:42:38 by konstantin »

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:33:27 »

• The 1.25u Shift in 40s isn't necessary because there's already a 1.25u Shift included in base (ISO keys), and there are no 40s boards that use two of these keys. If ISO keys are separated out of base, then this key should be included in Obscure, but otherwise it can be removed/changed.

• It'd be better if there were a second 1u Shift instead (for ortho users), so I recommend changing the 1.25u Shift in Obscure to 1u.

• The R3 1u Tab key would be better off with a generic legend (such as Code), since Tab is actually one of the less popular options on that row for ortho boards (source, relevant user survey). We've seen several sets recently changing this legend to Code or a generic-looking icon (e.g. >_, , ).

• A R3 1.25u Enter key is an optional, but nice to have addition, that adds support for popular 40s boards such as UT47.2, Whimsy, Dimple etc.

• Another optional addition is a second 1u Ctrl key, if you want to cover ortho layouts with all bottom row mods and no arrow keys (popular with some Planck/Preonic users).

Thanks for all the feedback. I will go through all of this before final kits are determined.

As far as ive been told over the years of talking to as many 40s / ortho people as i can, ortho doesnt use shift on both sides of the board, so only 1 is needed. Is this incorrect? Because I have never once had a person request a second 1u shift in all of our obscure kits weve run.

Ive also never had anyone ask for a different legend on the 1u Tab. I figured I had finally locked in the best Obscure kit after all these times and finally getting to where no one is asking for anything else lol.

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 13:00:41 »
As the designer behind GMK Evil Dolch I do not think this is a copy at all. I see people writing that there are similarities, fair enough. But it's two different sets and I fully accept this! The set looks great and can't wait for it to hit GB!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 16:52:15 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I will go through all of this before final kits are determined.

As far as ive been told over the years of talking to as many 40s / ortho people as i can, ortho doesnt use shift on both sides of the board, so only 1 is needed. Is this incorrect? Because I have never once had a person request a second 1u shift in all of our obscure kits weve run.

Ive also never had anyone ask for a different legend on the 1u Tab. I figured I had finally locked in the best Obscure kit after all these times and finally getting to where no one is asking for anything else lol.

I use ortho and absolutely use shift on both sides. Right shift for left handed alphas and left shift for right handed alphas. I typically just use the keys at my disposal to fill both sides; such as up arrow or another 1u ctrl key. I'm actually a bit shocked that 2x 1u shifts are more popular.

TBF, there is a growing trend in the 40s community to ask for more generic icons for many keys in order to decrease the number of keycaps that dont represent function. Having a more generalized icon provides more visual flexibility for users. I personally fall into this camp and am waiting for the day someone runs an ortho add-on kit that offers newly designed icons that don't 1:1 correlate to existing keycap functions.

edit: I use tab on R3 ortho too  ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2020, 16:56:09 by DrHigsby »

Offline jackrabbit

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 20:46:41 »
That deskmat is the best mekakibodo mat i've ever seen. Hot damn i want one
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
Re: [IC] GMK REDLINE | GB STARTS OCT 16TH!
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 16:12:39 »
GMK REDLINE GB BEGINS OCT 16TH

Original post has been updated with the new renders and kits.

GMK REDLINE KIT CHANGE LOG

Standard Kit
- Removed numpad, 1800, and ISO
- Added R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn

Numpad
- Moved out of Standard kit into the Addition Kit with ISO

ISO
- Moved out of Standard kit into the Addition Kit with Numpad
- Changed R3 ~# and R4 |/ to R3 |/ and R4 <>

Aesthetic Kit
- Removed Accent arrows and moved them to the Alternate Kit
- Added 2x 1u Convex keys

Modern Kit
- Added Modern / Mac Icons kit from feedback on the form

Alternate Kit
- Moved red accent arrows from the Aesthetic kit to a separate kit with other alternate accents

Obscure Kit
- Added a second 1u R4 Shift

Dashboard Kit
- Removed R1 ABS key and R1 fan key
- Change R1 Push to Start key to red
- Slightly changed the ABS and gas pump graphics to be better for double shot
- Added R2 high beam key
- Change the defrost to white legend to create an entire white column option and also moved it to R3
- Added a windowed stepped caps Push to Start key from form requests
- Added Check Engine novelty to R4 from form requests

Deskpads
- Added a second deskpad option inspired by the tachometer that sparked this set.
- Altered the Meka Mat so the red ticks go farther to the left for better visual balance

RAMA
- Working with the Rama Works team on some keys
- Not finalized yet

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2020, 16:45:09 by GarrettSucks »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 16:24:21 »
Am a fan of the new kitting. Looking forward to seeing how this set does!

Offline Domantas

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 18:19:18 »
This is really the same design language as 8008 because it really kinda reminds it how the constrast and color are shifted a bit

Offline ivu

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 03:41:57 »
Thumbs up for the remade kits! I wish more sets use such.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline ben56k

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 03:59:52 »
This is a nice car themed set so more novelties for me.

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 11:29:56 »
Really sad to see ISO being moved to numpad. That's gonna be a dealbreaker :(

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 07:29:25 »
Pleeeeaase make the Start Engine key in black.
It looks much better than in red imho.
Or give us both options.

The key would be perfect as a scroll lock key with the LED window but it would look weird combined with a black pause and print key when it is red.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 15:46:29 by elmo »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 08:25:34 »
Why did you put the ISO with the numpad?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 09:20:06 »
Hate to see check engine on my car but nice to see it here!

Offline sntXrrr

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 15:30:49 »
Terrible. This is too close to 8008 for me to justify picking it up. But those novelties look so good!!

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:58:37 »
Terrible. This is too close to 8008 for me to justify picking it up. But those novelties look so good!!

Honestly you should go see an eye doctor. Something doesn't seem right with your vision...

And in case you didn't notice: Both of these sets are from the same designer.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 17:35:20 »
^^^

“𝙁𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙞𝙧𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙠𝙮 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙙𝙞𝙢.”

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:03:56 »
I have decided to add one more cap to the dashboard kit, by a suggestion from Elmo. He suggested to add back the original dark blue Push-to-Start key and I thought that was a good idea to not force people into an accent on that key.

Offline 0junk

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:23:49 »
Adore the low contrast legends on the alphas, i'm in!

Offline jackrabbit

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:45:15 »
Yep, this set is an instant buy for me. Thank you so much for running the GB.
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline ComfortablyJuice

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:52:28 »
So glad the dark engine stop start key is back. Dashboard kit is an ez buy.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 02:21:19 »
I have decided to add one more cap to the dashboard kit, by a suggestion from Elmo. He suggested to add back the original dark blue Push-to-Start key and I thought that was a good idea to not force people into an accent on that key.

Show Image

OMG ILY! <3

Guess I have to buy this now  :D

Offline ben56k

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 03:52:45 »
Nice re addition for more customisation offered. I will wait for an EU proxy if there is.

Offline Raptor_N60

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 04:45:09 »
Any confirmation on various vendors or is this GB only on Dixiemech?

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 11:17:59 »
Proxies will be our usual partners from our GBs:

US: Dixie Mech
CA: Desk Hero
EU: MKB.eu
ASIA: iLumkb
OCEANIA: Daily Clack
CHINA: zFrontier
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 13:56:18 by GarrettSucks »

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 11:29:34 »
Proxies will be our usual partners from our GBs:

US: Dixie Mech
EU: MKB.eu
ASIA: iLumkb
OCEANIA: Daily Clack
CHINA: zFrontier

Any news on pricing?

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 13:56:40 »
They will be announced tomorrow upon GB starting.

Offline Makish

• hi
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 15:04:38 »
I guess I have to buy a Honda Civic Type-R now

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 16:09:27 »
I guess I have to buy a Honda Civic Type-R now

Phoenix Yellow :D
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline duckduckdo

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 00:57:53 »
Am I blind? Is there no 2.00 u shift in any of the sets?

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 02:52:31 »
Am I blind? Is there no 2.00 u shift in any of the sets?

2u shift isn't standard

Offline Moneydaviid

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 12:21:59 »
So nice. All in for novelties + spacebar kit & black rama.

Offline Xormentor

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 02:45:56 »
Love this set, that saying though its called redline and the novelties don't have any sort of odometer/rev meter. Some missed potential imo

Offline ljyel

• gamecube
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 14:02:00 »
Will def be picking up a base, novelties and several ramas! Colour scheme looks rlly nice. glwgb
Keyboards: Think6.5v2 | Plume65 | Aurora Input Series 65 | Vega | Vertigo