Author Topic: [IC] GMK Grey on Black // GB Extended Til Sunday Feb 20th  (Read 85380 times)

Offline Skok

Re: [IC] GMK Grey on Black
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:30:58 »
Skok, wondering what you're thinking? Are you thinking this will make it out of IC or not? And if yes, what are your thoughts about timing? I would really like to support your GB.

Yes of course I'm hoping it will make it out of IC. I'm still trying to find a US vendor and I hope to get the price for the set as cheap as possible. As for a timeline, I won't know until I have a lead vendor that can coordinate with the other regional proxies.

Offline krzank

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 13:43:25 »
UK ISO please.

I'm not opposed to it, I would like the base kit to be as "one size fits all" as possible since its just GoB and can appeal to everyone. As of right now, only 2 people have requested UK ISO out of 152 so it may not be a smart idea unless more people are interested.
If adding UK-ISO seems too much then please consider adding R4:Tilde/GraveAccent key - I know, it is exotic stuff but would make possible 60% & 65% layout without loosing Tilde/GraveAccent to ESC.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 16:24:43 »
Skok, wondering what you're thinking? Are you thinking this will make it out of IC or not? And if yes, what are your thoughts about timing? I would really like to support your GB.

GMK Doom failed, Donut's GMK Grey on Black IC went stale.... is this going to be it?

There was also the GMK Stealth Blackout kit.

valid

To be clear, I wasn't saying that this is a poor IC or an unneeded set.

In fact, there were a lot of people who seemed to want Stealth to conform to basically what Grey on Black is trying to offer. While OP may not reach as many people who ended up buying Stealth inclusive of its Blackout kit, there's likely still a lot of people who did not have the ability to join a set and buy base + extra alphas to get this result.

This set also has some great accents, and more robust spacebar support.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 16:55:09 »
@CS, I know I didn't take your comment as being negative. And I hope @skok didn't take my comment that way, either. I would really like to pick this up for HMKB stainless (if it ever ships...) My apologies if I sounded pessimistic or doubtful, I'm actually the exact opposite. I originally was thinking WoB to accent the black screws. The GoB is even more complementary IMO, and Stealth was darker than I wanted... So fingers crossed.

GMK Doom failed, Donut's GMK Grey on Black IC went stale.... is this going to be it?

valid

In fact, there were a lot of people who seemed to want Stealth to conform to basically what Grey on Black is trying to offer. While OP may not reach as many people who ended up buying Stealth inclusive of its Blackout kit, there's likely still a lot of people who did not have the ability to join a set and buy base + extra alphas to get this result.

Offline Skok

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 19:54:04 »

valid

I didn't really take it in it a bad way, I just wasn't sure what the comment was implying. My response was more of an acknowledgment of your comment and was meant to be neutral. Thank you for clearing it up lol.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 20:08:07 by Skok »

Offline krey

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 23:46:54 »
I think it is a good alternative for those who sat out the GMK stealth base + blackout kit.

Personally I sat that one out purely because I did not want to end up with a set of alphas sitting around unused.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline Skok

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:14:12 »
Bump for an update regarding accent colors.
New colors would be custom RALs. Still undecided on the exact ones but the render below reflects a few options that I have looked at in my RAL deck.

I'm curious to see if you guys are in favor of that. To make it simple here's a Link to Straw Poll

Original (stock colors)

New (custom colors)

Offline VXQN

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 04:17:38 »
I think no accents is the way to go.

I don't feel that they really fit, and they only stand to increase the colour-matching time.

Another suggestion would be to include a 1.25u convex key for those split space users in the base.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 04:23:15 »
New colors would be custom RALs. Still undecided on the exact ones but the render below reflects a few options that I have looked at in my RAL deck.

I'm curious to see if you guys are in favor of that. To make it simple here's a Link to Straw Poll

Original (stock colors)
Show Image

New (custom colors)
Show Image

I prefer stock red, custom cyan and custom yellow but there is no such option.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2021, 12:53:38 by nvh2092 »

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 12:41:09 »
Voted stock accents. If you're going for a custom RAL for the base key color, I'd think it's best to minimize the amount of potential color-matching issues with 3 additional custom colors (see: GMK Dracula)

Offline Senbeii

• Swiggity Swag Whats In Da Bag
    • Keyoto
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:59:06 »
Solid base kit, really digging the stealth look too! Hopefully, you can get in touch with Deskhero for a Canadian proxy  :thumb:

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 17:16:28 »
I think it makes a lot of sense to go with stock colors for the accents. The colors look pretty good IMO, and it will help keep the costs down. It should also help avoid potential delays related to color-matching, as others have mentioned. Plus, the gray accents in the base kit are looking great, so there are plenty of good options to choose from here.

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 21:25:53 »
Skok is my best buddy. Love the set homie. Super clean!

Offline Groom

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:42:51 »
simple but stability colors

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:47:14 »
simple but stability colors

MODs banhammer please.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline azzipa

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 16:54:59 »
my vote for original colors based on aesthetics, fwiw. i'm in for base but not sure colors are for me. so you do you, i'm here for the GB.

Offline Ajiro656

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 01:59:01 »
Love this!

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 02:11:55 »
interest checked :D

Offline Skok

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 10:50:52 »
my vote for original colors based on aesthetics, fwiw. i'm in for base but not sure colors are for me. so you do you, i'm here for the GB.
There's plenty of time to figure out the accents. Its not super essential but I do want to settle on a kit that most people interested in that kit would agree on. So still subject to change.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline zxer

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 10:53:07 »
Are you considering ISO-UK / NORDEUK support @Skok

Offline Skok

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:11:01 »
Are you considering ISO-UK / NORDEUK support @Skok
If it gets enough interest on the form, but if not then it'll just be basic ISO in the base kit. As for norde it typically struggles pretty hard. The other set I'm working on, GMK Norse, has a dedicated Norway vendor on top of an EU vendor and they have still showed a bit of concern about hitting moq on the Norde kit. So as of right now, I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline GSPADE

• THOK® thok.design
    • THOK®
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 07:38:12 »
Oh this is my jam. Will cop for sure

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 20:07:03 »
I just realized I commented twice so this is filling up empty space at this point. Bananas
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2021, 21:01:44 by ThickJimmy »

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 10:48:07 »
YES

Offline videozane

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 11:41:35 »
friendship ended with WoB. now GoB is my best friend

Offline azzipa

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 11:49:00 »

i haven't totally broken it off with WoB but when we went out the other night GoB walked by. totally caught my eye. now WoB isn't speaking to me.

@skok - hoping for an update. and wondering if you have had any luck lining up vendors?

Offline Skok

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 12:12:27 »

i haven't totally broken it off with WoB but when we went out the other night GoB walked by. totally caught my eye. now WoB isn't speaking to me.

@skok - hoping for an update. and wondering if you have had any luck lining up vendors?

Focusing on Norse GB for the time being. I will have updates for this once that is complete. Thanks

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 14:56:36 »
why are the arrows centred?
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline azzipa

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:07:54 »

i'm missing it, seems similar to fuji?

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:09:35 by azzipa »

Offline Skok

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:13:09 »

Probably just an error in the render. I plan on redoing the majority of them at a later date since I'm not satisfied with the current ones. Could you elaborate on the centered arrows because I am also confused about that?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:16:50 »

hoping it is a mistake in the render - makes no sense to me to have that style of arrows with OG icon mods. I would have brushed it off as a render thing but recently GMK bleached shipped with this style of arrows paired with OG icons, which was a bit disappointing to me.
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Skok

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:22:10 »
Show Image

Show Image

hoping it is a mistake in the render - makes no sense to me to have that style of arrows with OG icon mods. I would have brushed it off as a render thing but recently GMK bleached shipped with this style of arrows paired with OG icons, which was a bit disappointing to me.

Yeah, it definitely was not intentional in that aspect. I'll make sure that's one of the things that gets fixed when I update everything.

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 21:02:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

unlucky

Offline XiXora

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 21:37:29 »
Would an overall extension kit work with support for things like UK ISO, odd 60s, and HHKB/Mac R4 (2x 1.5u super, 2x 1u alt) be useful?

It could maybe make the base cheaper and the more esoteric layouts available to those of us that are happy to pay more for these.

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 20:39:33 »
hellothere.gif

Offline santela

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 23:01:19 »
Can we include 6.25u and 7u grey spacebars in the spacebar kit? Not essential but would be nice.

Offline frozenthai

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 16:59:52 »
Most dark sets like WoB are just a tad too dark for my taste, but this is so good! Too bad international sets have low MOQ and you being too good Skok, having made me just dumb cash on Norse :D
On another note, how does a golden yellow/orange in accents sound? I don't have a swatch, so I would guess around N6 V2. N6 looks good in some pictures and bad in others.

Offline AJLond1n

• N/A
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 23:23:21 »
Any chance of 1.5U shift key support via an extension kit?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 March 2021, 23:49:36 by AJLond1n »

Offline inceptive

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 11:45:45 »
I am totally in, I love it. The use of the light grey gives me a retro vibe.

Only thing I would add would be an artisan cap with a dark pvd maybe an enamel fill :)

Offline azzipa

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 12:13:54 »
stealth extras available w blackout. as much as i like that set i prefer this. looking forward to gb  :thumb:

Offline KeyboardTom

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 12:40:47 »
+1 for NORDE/UK kit (if you ask me, only ISO DE would be fine)

Offline Skok

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 13:07:03 »
Most dark sets like WoB are just a tad too dark for my taste, but this is so good! Too bad international sets have low MOQ and you being too good Skok, having made me just dumb cash on Norse :D
On another note, how does a golden yellow/orange in accents sound? I don't have a swatch, so I would guess around N6 V2. N6 looks good in some pictures and bad in others.

I have a pretty good idea where I'm going with the accents for stock colors. The next iteration will most likely be final.

stealth extras available w blackout. as much as i like that set i prefer this. looking forward to gb  :thumb:

Glad to hear it! I've secured a trusted vendor for the GB later this year. It'll most likely be announced once I get the IC to a state I'm happy with i.e. renders/kits.

Can we include 6.25u and 7u grey spacebars in the spacebar kit? Not essential but would be nice.

I'm going to exclude accent spacebars from the spacebar kit since I think the current configuration covers everything most people could possibly want. I don't think the additional cost is worth the small amount of benefit.

+1 for NORDE/UK kit (if you ask me, only ISO DE would be fine)

NorDeUk will most likely not be included since it typically struggles pretty hard. It's not completely out of question but only 13 people requested it out of the 330 responses so far. The ISO in the base kit in its current configuration will stay though.

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 13:18:36 »
ill prob pick this up bagel boy

i like kiting as is would love to see this kiting if pricing allows

Offline AlfredK

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 13:46:07 »
2 of my all time favorite color! With that accents it's a definite buy for me. Splendid Job!  :thumb:

Offline bastijn

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 14:12:44 »
Might be in on this one for dark toned builds. GMK Dark is too dark for my liking and WoB to much of a contrast. This might be a nice option.

Original (stock colors)
Show Image

New (custom colors)
Show Image

To be honest I second the earlier response above, none of them really look "right" to me. Not sure if the set even needs any?
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." -- Richard Hamming

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 14:29:53 »
not sure if this fits within the scope/theme of this project, but i would be down for an alternate (black on grey) alphas kit

either way, i will be in for at least a base kit

great job!

Offline SirSlugabed

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 15:21:45 »
not sure if this fits within the scope/theme of this project, but i would be down for an alternate (black on grey) alphas kit

great job!

It would be nice to have reversed alphas for sure. Also, a RAMA X would be awesome to have as a collab, but I'm in for a base kit nonetheless. Great work, Skok!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 April 2021, 15:23:40 by SirSlugabed »

Offline baccaan

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 20:45:13 »

great job!

It would be nice to have reversed alphas for sure. Also, a RAMA X would be awesome to have as a collab, but I'm in for a base kit nonetheless. Great work, Skok!

I think that would be entering too far into GMK stealth territory tbh. That said, I'd still buy it.

Offline SirSlugabed

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 11:26:11 »

great job!

I think that would be entering too far into GMK stealth territory tbh. That said, I'd still buy it.

That’s fair. At least it would be optional here though. There’s a lot more contrast in this set and the kitting is much better so I think it would be fine personally.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 11:53:22 »
Accent space bars in accent kit? Let's make it a dark version of gmk fundamentals