Author Topic: [IC] CONTWO CFRL - your next everyday workhorse (CFRL, numpad) - Kindakeyboards  (Read 5260 times)

Offline kindakeyboards

• hi! im Milo and i make keyboards.
    • kinda.be

CONTWO CFRL
Designed & Engineered by Kindakeyboards

Hi there, I am Milo from Antwerp, Belgium. After more than 2 years, the time has finally come where I am able to (hopefully) launch another GB product - the CONTWO CFRL. The CONTWO CFRL aims to bring together productivity and sleek, timeless design.

Before diving into the nitty gritty details of the keyboard, let’s explain the name: CONTWO CFRL. CONTWO is short for CONCEPT TWO, the second series I am bringing out (following the CONONE 65). CFRL, abbreviation for Compact Function Row Less, describing the keyboard’s layout.

IC FORM: https://forms.gle/72VkZHhPmyViibkRA
DISCORD SERVER: https://discord.gg/zkzd85ZucZ
INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/kindakeyboards/
NEWSLETTER: www.kinda.be

0. CONTENTS
1. DETAILS
2. HOW DOES IT WORK?
3. LAYOUTS, PLATE & PCB
4. VENDING, PRICING & SALE FORMAT
5. RENDER GALLERY
6. PROTO PHOTO GALLERY
7. TIMELINE
8. OPINIONS?

1. DETAILS
CASE
- front height: 19.90mm
- layout: compact FRL with numpad
- typing angle: 6.5 degrees
- mount: friction fit
- two-part case (body + weight)
- screwless exterior design

- body options: raw alu anodised, black ano, white powder coat, tbd
- weight options: brass bead blasted, copper bead blasted, raw stainless steel

PLATE
- aluminum/brass/polycarbonate/tbd – plate files available after sale
- thickness: 1.5 mm

PCB
- hotswap: fixed 6.25u ANSI layout
- solder: variable options (please find attached below)
- support: VIA and QMK
- switches: MX style
- designed by 0xCB - prototypes made & working

2. HOW DOES IT WORK?
The CONTWO CFRL consist of a milled aluminum case, milled weight, polycarbonate/brass/tbd plate and a custom silicone moulded dampener, that also acts as a gasket.

The different parts are held in place by a friction fit mounting system. Once assembled, the PCB, dampener, plate and switches will act as one piece that slides into the case from the top, with only the silicone dampener touching the aluminum case. The weight is screwed into the case using 4 countersunk screws.

One could compare this with a gummy o-ring mount where the o-ring is also a dampener. I hope this exploded view gives you a better understanding.

In theory the board can also be built with just a gummy o-ring, but I am yet to test this out on the prototype.

Hopefully this step by step build of the CFRL gives you a good view of how the assembly works.

3. LAYOUTS, PLATE & PCB

4. VENDING, PRICING & SALE FORMAT
VENDING:
- world: www.kinda.be
- currently in talks with more international vending partners, nothing set in stone for the time being

PRICING: aiming for the keyboard to be available from between 500EURs to 600EURs
(this would be with 21% VAT included, which will be discounted when shipped outside of the EU from Belgium)

SALE FORMAT: GB - first come first served (mid September/early October)
MOQ - 100 units

5. RENDER GALLERY
Find all renders here: https://imgur.com/a/mjdOmDL

6. PROTO PHOTO GALLERY
Find all photos here: https://imgur.com/a/zN0o6Ct
PROTOTYPE v1 - weight has been added + other updates
The case design has changed quite a bit since the first prototypes. More specifically, the bottom weight/accent was added, providing more customisability when it comes to looks and sound profile.

Nevertheless, the prototype did act as a proof of concept. All of the parts were able to fit nice and snug, as designed. For the time being I replaced the dampener with a milled polycarbonate surrogate. This way, I was able to check the fitment of the parts before making irreversible expenses like moulds.

In addition to the added weight, some other (smaller) changes have been made. Let me go over them quickly:
- The standard bumpon feet are swapped with Geonworks feet
- Minor margin changes to the dampener cutouts, allowing for better compatibility with stabilizers and a better ‘friction fit’
- Added text logo on the bottom
- Some minor internal tweaks

KEYBOARD BAG
As the convenience of a custom carry case is unlike anything else when it comes to travel and shipping, the CFRL will come standard with a simple, minimal, blacked out carry case.

7. TIMELINE
I will be ordering a dampener prototype made out of silicone in August. This will allow me to make comprehensive sound test, and possible iterations of the design depending on the outcome.

The second prototype will be ordered when we are a bit into the [IC], in the hopes of picking up on some good feedback!

8. OPINIONS?
Thank you for reading through this [IC]. It means a lot.
Please let me know your thoughts here or in the form. Looking forward to reading them.

At first I was a bit hesitant about the added weight. Now however, I think it really adds to the keyboard. Still has the same minimal and sleek look, but allows for a bit more customisability for those who want. What do you think of it?

If there are other things (major or minor) I perhaps overlooked, please let me know. Trying to get the next prototype as close to the final version of the keyboard as possible. So any input helps.

IC FORM: https://forms.gle/72VkZHhPmyViibkRA
DISCORD SERVER: https://discord.gg/zkzd85ZucZ
INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/kindakeyboards/
NEWSLETTER: www.kinda.be

« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2023, 16:28:00 by kindakeyboards »

Offline kindakeyboards

• kinda.be
reserved

Offline SDKCAMPING

I hope you been monitoring the keyboard community since your last Conone launch. The group buy scene is extremely difficult nowadays and I think with this layout, simpler case design, and huge  500+ EUR price tag, it's going to be very hard to reach 100 MOQ. Good luck with group buy!
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline BITO

Oof, this is rough.
So for about 450 USD one would get a super simple, single piece case (with a through-weight) that seems very easy to machine and all that at an MOQ of 100.
Then you have mandatory foam/silicone which is very devisive and a layout which I'd say isn't too popular.
I figure this will be produced in China and not Belgium?

I kinda like the design itself but yeah, what SDKCAMPING said.
This will not hit MOQ.

Offline LavenderB

Aren't one piece cases inexpensive to produce? If this was cheap I think it could be really appealing to those who like the layout. Even the mandatory dampener would be excusable at a low enough price.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline pepperfez

I can't stop reading the name as a baby's attempt to name the CTRL key.

Offline kindakeyboards

• kinda.be
I hope you been monitoring the keyboard community since your last Conone launch. The group buy scene is extremely difficult nowadays and I think with this layout, simpler case design, and huge  500+ EUR price tag, it's going to be very hard to reach 100 MOQ. Good luck with group buy!

hi there! thanks for the feedback SDKCAMPING.

I am aware the GB environment has changed quite a bit since the the CONONE drop. However, the more unique and 'productive' layout seemed quite interesting to me either way. The pricetag has been driven up in part because of the added weight. Do you think that adds to the keyboard? Leaving that weight out would make the price drop quite significantly. Would love to hear your stance on this. Thanks in advance.

Would also like to clarify that the guaranteed quality is also a driving force behind the balpark pricing.

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
I really like it! But yeah the price is high.

The only thing I don't like is that we can see under the keycaps and it does not look great. Otherwise I would probably be in for one. :)

Show Image
Show Image

Offline SDKCAMPING

I'd consider using a thin sheet plate as a weight under the case instead of a full through weight to cut down costs and keeping the existing bottom style, I think now people don't really care for a super heavy board so a giant weight isn't needed. Best of luck whichever way you go 👍
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline doctorboy

• ClackX
Thanks for sharing your project! You made an awesome job in the presentation, with clear information. Very much underrated nowadays.
Personally, the design didn't resonate with me, so I wouldn't buy it even if it was super cheap. Still, I believe you deserve to receive feedback that could help you in this project.

The big elephant in the room, which you may have already noticed, is the price.
My opinion is aligned with what was shared above, and it will be very difficult to achieve MOQ. My take is that even if you could lower the value to something like $350 + VAT, it will still struggle.
So, my personal suggestion would be for you to explore other options to improve the keyboard, while maintaining the price tag but for a lower MOQ (something like MOQ = 30).
Things I would consider improving/working on:
- more options for the mounting (it could be hard for a single-piece design, but not impossible).
- design of the plates, to have fewer cutouts.
- share the weight of the board with the weight.

These are just suggestions, so please take that with a grain of salt, and just move forward with the vision that you feel comfortable with.
Wish you all the best with the IC.

Offline a_saker

• huh?
I second with what doctorboy stated. I am also on the side where this is a hobby purely out of luxury and justification of price can sometimes come down purely to the brand or design of the product.

Where I see potential issues is that with a single piece case 500EUR or 410USD price seems quite high. I do know well enough that the aluminum stock that is being used is quite expensive, but at 100 unit MOQ, the price or margins seem high.
If the weight is being used to improved the typing sound, then I would suggest opting or trying a piece that is not passthrough and only on the internals of the case. Though I would assume the silicone damper why negate this as well.
Possibly including gummy o-ring mounting would be a feature improvement, allowing an alternate mounting style without a drastic change to the internals.

Lastly, inclusion of a typing test for the prototype you have may be beneficial as well
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2023, 11:24:23 by a_saker »

Offline kindakeyboards

• kinda.be
I'd consider using a thin sheet plate as a weight under the case instead of a full through weight to cut down costs and keeping the existing bottom style, I think now people don't really care for a super heavy board so a giant weight isn't needed. Best of luck whichever way you go 👍

A sheet plate as a weight is definitely something to consider. I will be looking into that.
Thank you, SDKCAMPING!

Offline kindakeyboards

• kinda.be
Thanks for sharing your project! You made an awesome job in the presentation, with clear information. Very much underrated nowadays.
Personally, the design didn't resonate with me, so I wouldn't buy it even if it was super cheap. Still, I believe you deserve to receive feedback that could help you in this project.

The big elephant in the room, which you may have already noticed, is the price.
My opinion is aligned with what was shared above, and it will be very difficult to achieve MOQ. My take is that even if you could lower the value to something like $350 + VAT, it will still struggle.
So, my personal suggestion would be for you to explore other options to improve the keyboard, while maintaining the price tag but for a lower MOQ (something like MOQ = 30).
Things I would consider improving/working on:
- more options for the mounting (it could be hard for a single-piece design, but not impossible).
- design of the plates, to have fewer cutouts.
- share the weight of the board with the weight.

These are just suggestions, so please take that with a grain of salt, and just move forward with the vision that you feel comfortable with.
Wish you all the best with the IC.

Thanks for the nice words and constructive feedback doctorboy. I really appreciate it.

As you said, looking into lowering the MOQ looks like a great idea. Adding different plate/mounting options looks like a good option too.
I will be looking into it. Thanks again.

Offline kindakeyboards

• kinda.be
I second with what doctorboy stated. I am also on the side where this is a hobby purely out of luxury and justification of price can sometimes come down purely to the brand or design of the product.

Where I see potential issues is that with a single piece case 500EUR or 410USD price seems quite high. I do know well enough that the aluminum stock that is being used is quite expensive, but at 100 unit MOQ, the price or margins seem high.
If the weight is being used to improved the typing sound, then I would suggest opting or trying a piece that is not passthrough and only on the internals of the case. Though I would assume the silicone damper why negate this as well.
Possibly including gummy o-ring mounting would be a feature improvement, allowing an alternate mounting style without a drastic change to the internals.

Lastly, inclusion of a typing test for the prototype you have may be beneficial as well

Thanks for the feedback a_saker. I will most definitely be taking the MOQ and gummy oring suggestions into account going forward.
Once I get the silicone dampener prototype, a typing test will be underway.