Author Topic: [IC] GMK Kantharos  (Read 24488 times)

Offline mixistor

[IC] GMK Kantharos
« on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:30:48 »

Hello! Welcome to GMK Kantharos a set inspired by the greek art of pot painting.
A kantharos is a drinking cup in ancient greek pottery from the period of red-figure and black-figure painting styles.

KITTING

Dionysos (Basekit)

Kylix (Alt Alphas)

Askos (Novelties)

Lekythos (Spacebars)

RENDERS

ShianaSSK by @pensa.73

Typ 65+ by @axiom_studio.kb

Nazaré 1-60 W1 by @nazare.engineering

Nemui by @bachoo.kb

TO DO:
  • More renders!!
  • Some collabs
  • Deskmats

VENDORS:
NA: TBD
CA: TBD
EU: TBD
UK: TBD
ASIA: TBD
AU: TBD

THANKS TO:
  • To Vheissu for the amazing art direction
  • To my friends in the KatanaKaji server for supporting me and providing feedback. I love you guys.
  • To Sax for the amazing renders.
  • To my girlfriend for amazing support. I love you sweetie pie.

For any questions, comments, collaborations, or feedback: you can find me on Discord as mixistor#1313

[/td][/tr][/table]
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115920.0][img width=400 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/J0haDWc.png[/img][/url]

Thanks for reading this.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 January 2022, 22:24:36 by mixistor »

Offline Coquelox18

Re: [IC] GMK Kantharos
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:30:55 »
reserved

Offline Sax_______

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:30:58 »
reversed

Offline ダbruh

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:32:11 »
nice :thumb:

Offline caghuama

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:32:58 »
Nice one bud

Offline FerPL

• www.rheset.mx
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:35:16 »
That ISO noveltie makes me doubt my ansi preferences

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:37:51 »
That enter key is so good!

Offline soundstage

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:40:58 »
Good design work. Any estimated GB date?

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:41:35 »
Simple and nice, but I do think the extra tab in the latin alphas kit is kinda useless bc if you wanted to put the set on two boards, one of them would have to be a 40%, which you don't have support for, even in 3/4 key, and you also don't have the punctuation, bracket, and quotes keys. Also please consider adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn for 65%/75%. Very much appreciate the 4 1.5u novelties.

Offline Vorge

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:41:47 »
Really good looking. MOAR spacebars are appreciated

Offline Vorge

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 21:48:47 »
PD Also add a weeb base, thx

Offline wt1155

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 22:23:06 »
NOICE  :thumb:

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 22:47:35 »
I feel like the Greek subs are an intrinsic part of the set. I would chop the Alt Alphas kit altogether. If not, then you need to add some extra keys to it such as a numrow and brackets so it can be used on another board using the leftover keys. Alternatively add 1.25u tab, 1.75u BS and 1.5u Enter to the base kit so there's 40's coverage. If that's the case, or if it's meant to be used as *just* an alt alphas kit and not have 2 board coverage, then the extra 1.5u tab is not necessary.

That said I love how the colors are really on theme, the novelties are beautiful and it's a great set overall, just needs a few kitting tweaks. GLWIC.

Offline FamilyJoule924

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:05:56 »
any chance for mono greek alphas?

Offline arq1999

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:17:26 »
Hi. This set was started by him and me. I gave a lot of ideas in this set and in the end he just took me out of it. The only solution that he gave me was to change the name, but he still used everything else. This was suppose to be a 50/50 project.

Album everything is in Spanish.

I tried to translate some. The last 3 pictures is were he tells me he wants to do it by himself. In the description I put a google translation. If you have read this far then its up to you if you want to support this guy or not.  Anyways Thanks for reading.

Proof:

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:32:51 »
Is 'cuckear' Spanish for 'cuck'?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:47:33 by Mecxs »

Offline brunosan_.

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:34:21 »
Offf man, this set is fire!
I hope to see some artisans collaborations. GLWIC

Offline FamilyJoule924

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:49:44 »
read second post above you

Offline Puncus

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:51:20 »
Set itself looks pretty nice! and the renders show off the idea in a very nice way.

In terms of the drama, we just need some clarification, since the screenshots date 8 moths back from now there must have been a lot that happened and a lot of effort put into it too.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 23:58:02 »
Offf man, this set is fire!
I hope to see some artisans collaborations. GLWIC

Well I can think of at least one artisan collab that won't be happening.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:09:10 »
uh oh

Offline Skok

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:15:34 »

Offline arq1999

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:16:02 »
Set itself looks pretty nice! and the renders show off the idea in a very nice way.

In terms of the drama, we just need some clarification, since the screenshots date 8 moths back from now there must have been a lot that happened and a lot of effort put into it too.

Well. I can tell at least in the novelties department he has made only 2 more. Also he didn't credit the designer who help us.
Proof:

Color wise? Well He didnt post the colors he is using so im not sure if he is using the colors that I helped to pick, but they do look the same to the ones we choose for this.

Kitting: Well that's something that's in constant evolution and also that was the part that he wanted to do when we were working together.

Also there were some deskmats. Here they are. I think he must be working in something new because he didn't post them, but this is also proof that we did work together and we both gave ideas.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:21:12 by arq1999 »

Offline Pensa73

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:37:57 »

Yes some clarification would be helpful, but this looks NOTHING like the early concepts. I'm pretty sure the set would be completely different with the direction Arq was taking (not that that is a bad thing).

From the looks of it, OP just wanted help from someone actively working on a set, someone with experience in design (probably not the best designer since Dream Bird didn't even reach MOQ, which wasn't a bad set, seemed more like poor management).

Looks like a lot of effort was put into this and I can't see where Arq had an influence on this final iteration. I might be biased because it looks good on my keyboard... But I wanna know what exactly happened in those 8 months.

Offline Puncus

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:44:53 »
Thanks for the clarifications and input, this is a rather delicate situation.

We still need a clarification from OP to know the full story and extent of what went on.

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 00:58:25 »
Assuming you want to keep this bright orange I would suggest a better accent color.

Offline AshF

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 01:08:21 »
Really like the design and CW.
Would be great if you supported UK ISO keys otherwise a definite no go for me. GLWIC

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline mixistor

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 01:14:10 »
I didn't think we were going to get to this but here we go ...

1. "This set was started by him and me" Yeah ... but not really: Context: Arq and I were friends a long time ago, yes, we started the set together but the direction of the set and above all, attitudes of him not only with me but with several members of the Latin American community (most of them Mexican), caused me to cut the relationship with him.

Arq tends to "take possession" of ideas when he sees that he can take advantage of them, mainly monetary. I'm not making empty accusations most of the Mexican / Latam members can vouch for this.

2. As you can see the conversations are months old and since we stopped talking he showed no interest in continuing with the set, why wait until I took out the IC when he had enough time to do his iteration of it?

3. Regarding the novelties and deskmats, although he shared with me the designer's contact, all the communication going back and forth for their design was between me and the designer and the deskmats are still a work in progress and that's why they weren't published in the IC.

4. I was the one who organized the project, I was the one who paid for the novelties, renders, Pantone books, ABS plastic chips, make multiple iterations of the kitting, well, pretty much everything

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 01:45:01 »
the social network is a pretty great movie huh

Offline arq1999

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:15:44 »

1. "This set was started by him and me" Yeah ... but not really: Context: Arq and I were friends a long time ago, yes, we started the set together but the direction of the set and above all, attitudes of him not only with me but with several members of the Latin American community (most of them Mexican), caused me to cut the relationship with him.

Arq tends to "take possession" of ideas when he sees that he can take advantage of them, mainly monetary. I'm not making empty accusations most of the Mexican / Latam members can vouch for this.
Dude literally that whole server is toxic. You guys just pretend everything is fine. if anyone gives their opinions or tries to have serious discussions they just put emotes and start making fun of each other.
Example:

Oh man I would love to see the money transactions cause so far I have made $0. Im in very negative numbers. 

2. As you can see the conversations are months old and since we stopped talking he showed no interest in continuing with the set, why wait until I took out the IC when he had enough time to do his iteration of it?
Show Image

I didnt continuing simple because I didnt find it ethical. How can I do it if at the end of our conversation you never answer me? Did you wanted me to go behind your back and do a surprise IC? just like you did?

One render BTW: *also they are were just to conceptualize the colors, because were going to pay for them. I always pay my renders cause I dont know how to do them properly.

4. I was the one who organized the project, I was the one who paid for the novelties, renders, Pantone books, ABS plastic chips, make multiple iterations of the kitting, well, pretty much everything

Do you want a cookie for doing what a designer should be doing? I would have done the same and we even talked about that dude in chat. I already had a pantone book and we were using that.

Proof:

Offline Sax_______

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:19:07 »

Dude literally that whole server is toxic. You guys just pretend everything is fine. if anyone gives their opinions or tries to have serious discussions they just put emotes and start making fun of each other.
Example:
Show Image

Oh man I would love to see the money transactions cause so far I have made $0. Im in very negative numbers. 

Show Image

I didnt continuing simple because I didnt find it ethical. How can I do it if at the end of our conversation you never answer me? Did you wanted me to go behind your back and do a surprise IC? just like you did?

Show Image

One render BTW: *also they are were just to conceptualize the colors, because were going to pay for them. I always pay my renders cause I dont know how to do them properly.

Show Image

Do you want a cookie for doing what a designer should be doing? I would have done the same and we even talked about that dude in chat. I already had a pantone book and we were using that.

Proof:
Show Image

Yo if we're talking about toxicity are we forgetting how on stream you would make fun of people for not having expensive keyboards?

anyway this is an IC, take this to DMs and let people give feedback :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:22:12 by Sax_______ »

Offline arq1999

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:27:26 »

Yes some clarification would be helpful, but this looks NOTHING like the early concepts. I'm pretty sure the set would be completely different with the direction Arq was taking (not that that is a bad thing).
From the looks of it, OP just wanted help from someone actively working on a set, someone with experience in design (probably not the best designer since Dream Bird didn't even reach MOQ, which wasn't a bad set, seemed more like poor management).
Dude and that that make it ethical? I literally ask him in the screenshots if he only wanted help or if it was some thing we were going to be doing together. Does that make it ok?

Looks like a lot of effort was put into this and I can't see where Arq had an influence on this final iteration. I might be biased because it looks good on my keyboard... But I wanna know what exactly happened in those 8 months.

You not been biased just "because it looks good on my keyboard" but because he is your friend. The same thing for Puncus, sax, fer, and others that I guess will be coming here.

Example:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Proof:
Show Image

Yo if we're talking about toxicity are we forgetting how on stream you would make fun of people for not having expensive keyboards?

of course buddy, but thats literally me playing with you all. When have I ever being serious  call someone poor just for not having a nice keyboard? never.  You guys have literally a command called !poor and everyone have use it and of course including me.

The screenshot that I share was me literally not insulting anyone nor bothering. I was sharing something that I couldn't when that happened.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:31:45 by arq1999 »

Offline Sax_______

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:30:21 »

Dude and that that make it ethical? I literally ask him in the screenshots if he only wanted help or if it was some thing we were going to be doing together. Does that make it ok?

You not been biased just "because it looks good on my keyboard" but because he is your friend. The same thing Puncus, sax, fer, and other that I guess will be coming here.

Example:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Proof:
Show Image

of course buddy, but thats literally me playing with you all. When have I ever being serious  call someone poor just for not having a nice keyboard? never.  You guys have literally a command called !poor and everyone have use it and of course including me.

The screenshot that I share was me literally not insulting anyone nor bothering. I was sharing something that I couldn't when that happened.

that's beside the point, like I said, let it go, take it to DMs, and let people give feedback here

Offline Pensa73

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:36:37 »

Do you want a cookie for doing what a designer should be doing?

I was waiting for a proper response but this shows how you are taking this too personal.
None of this proves that you had any influence on the last iteration of the set.
If you have anything against OP please go and discuss it privately so you can stop filling the IC with your embarrassing responses.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:37:32 »
These novelties kick ass! sigh - I knew I took to long to hit save
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:40:51 by HappyB0T »

Offline krzank

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:38:11 »
Please add R4:Backslash/Pipe

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:52:13 »
So uh, keycaps amirite guys?

Offline Birdy

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:56:20 »
So uh, keycaps amirite guys?

You are wrong my guy.

Offline BloremBipsum

• Yes, I am a Dumb Ass Boi
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 04:33:02 »
This looks really great!

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 06:23:12 »
Big mac, boots n cats and boots n cats, I need a double cheeseburger and hold the lettuce…

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 08:06:47 »
The set looks nice. Regarding all the bs and drama; Don't care Didn't ask.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 08:35:47 »
Ignoring all this drama bs...

The set is nice. The colors aren't for me, but I think you matched the theme well. Oh, and I always love seeing people use the sublegends I made for the repository. ;D GLWIC!

Offline AshF

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 08:47:12 »
Love.the set.
Wish that there was full kitting for UK ISO otherwise a no go for me. Amazing work and love the CW. GLWIC

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn

Offline Dragonhunt

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 10:36:49 »
The brown is so nice.
I really like the warm colour theme.

This really REALLY needs a NorDE-kit with the greek subs though.
Look at how GMK Norse did it.
Would be perfect if you could add that.

GLWIC!

Offline JohnYYZ

• KanataKeys.co
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 10:41:20 »
the social network is a pretty great movie huh

It sure was and still is  :))

Offline automatedthought

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 11:15:31 »
As someone that speaks spanish, the entire screenshot album really makes it seem like arq is getting screwed over and that he had a big influence over the current colors and theme of the set. Maybe he cherry picked the screenshots, but I imagine mixistor has proof and can clarify if that's the case.

It's sad to see people brushing this off by saying they don't care or that it's bs drama since we might be looking at a designer getting their collaborative work stolen.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 11:17:48 »
I find the colors really appealing, but the kitting and legends could use a bit of work.

The base kit is missing R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn for proper 65% support.
Those keys would be more useful to more people than, say, the second 2.25u Shift that's currently included. The presence of proper spacekeys in the base kit diminishes the usefulness of the second 2.25u Shift significantly, essentially relegating it to 660 support — a layout that's far less popular than the various 65% variants out there.
That being said, there's no reason why all three keys can't be included in the kit, at least for the time being.

Speaking of spacekeys, you may want to consider moving the 2c, 2.25c, 2.75c keys to the spacebars kit. This can be done in order to offset the cost of the large number of keys in the base kit, as well as the overhead costs of the new legend molds that will need to be produced for the lowercase Greek sublegends. As an aside, moving these keys would also help the spacebars kit more easily meet its MOQ.
However, I recommend leaving that decision until after you've gotten your first round of quotes from GMK.

There is no need for the second Tab key in the Latin alphas kit. Second Tab only helps if you're offering a full alt alphas kit — meaning that it has to have a number row as well as full punctuation. Since your alphas kit doesn't, the extra Tab should be removed.

I suggest changing all Code legends to System (Sys on 1u) or Super.
Code isn't exactly the greatest option for an OS key legend, in my opinion. You can read more about why I think so here.

Now, to address the issues with the current Greek sublegends:
  • The quaternary (top-right) sublegend on the ;: key is incorrect: it's supposed to be a dialytika (¨), not a dialytika-tonos (΅).
    incorrect: ;:΄΅   correct: ;:΄¨
  • The W key is missing a dialytika-tonos sublegend in the top right.
    incorrect:     correct: Wς΅
  • The Q key is missing a colon sublegend in the top right.
    incorrect: Q;      correct: Q;:
Please see this Greek keyboard layout reference.

Also, as far as ISO-UK support goes (something a couple of people have mentioned): ISO-UK is not really compatible with this type of set, because there's no such thing as a UK-based Greek layout or a hybrid ISO-UK/ISO-GR layout. Therefore, including UK keys in the base kit would not make much sense. On top of that, base kit space is already at a premium, and more valuable keys have to take priority in order for the value proposition of the kit to remain attractive to the largest audience of buyers.
That being said, I don't see any reason why ISO-UK keys could not be included in the Latin alphas kit, if that's something that the runner wishes to do. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 January 2022, 11:27:06 by konstantin »

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 11:31:10 »

Now, to address the issues with the current Greek sublegends:
  • The quaternary (top-right) sublegend on the ;: key is incorrect: it's supposed to be a dialytika (¨), not a dialytika-tonos (΅).
    incorrect: ;:΄΅
    correct: ;:΄¨
  • The W key is missing a dialytika-tonos sublegend in the top right.
    incorrect:
    correct: Wς΅
  • The Q key is missing a colon sublegend in the top right.
    incorrect: Q;
    correct: Q;:
Please see this Greek keyboard layout reference.

When I created these sublegends NoPun and I did extensive researching, including contacting numerous greek keyboard users. Here is what we learned:
-The majority of Greek sublegend users use Partial Capitalized similar to GMK style Greek-sub molds, likely due to availability.
-Among layouts that DO have full sublegend support, there is no clear consensus regarding what type of dialytika should be used on specific labels. When speaking to multiple greek speakers and layout users the consensus was "just showing that there is a dialytika option is more than enough." Even in the layout you linked in this response they use ALL THREE dialytika on one key rather than keeping the original :; legend. Compromises need to be made here imo. I  also received absolutely no complaints about the dialytika-tonos on ePBT Kavala's kit, nor any complaints from the greek speakers I asked for feedback from.
-The Q key is missing the tertiary legend for aesthetics, as none of the greek speakers I reached out to considered it to be essential.
-The W key is missing the tertiary legend for the exact same reason.

If you would like to have a more comprehensive discussion about these choices feel free to reach out to me on Discord.

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 11:31:49 »
This might be my first set with brown/orange colors.
Have you considered having a greek only alphas kit?

GLWIC