geekhack Community > Input Devices

Ohh man Logitechs new “quiet” switches

(1/2) > >>

ArchieTect:
I simply need any info you can provide on what these switches might be. I hadn’t been mouse shopping in a while and my new job provided an M100 cheap Logitech that is surprisingly nice. So I had to pick one up for myself and in the process got my hands on the latest in Logitechs product line.

The Pebble, M650 wireless, the M50x (cant remember, it’s a travel mouse), and the POP mouse all are using a “quiet” switch which is boasted on some packaging but not others - but the switches are the same on all of these. An amazing soft actuation near silent click. The actuation has to be at least 20% softer than a normal mouse. I don’t own one of these but fell in love.

Unfortunately my new M100 is not this switch lol. If someone can find the switch part I will instantly tear down my M100 and install these quiet switches. In the meanwhile I will be searching for a dead parts only online auction or something. Try it out if yo have the chance. Hopefully someone knows some more about this.

HungerMechanic:
I don't know the answer to your question, which I find interesting.

However, according to one Amazon review:

--- Quote ---I enjoyed the M100 and so I came to repurchase it on Amazon, and it arrived well and dandy. However there was a distinct and noticeable squeak that accompanied the two buttons, alongside their usual click.

I'm not about to take apart a $15 mouse so I tried to put up with it, but it was driving me mad. So I came back to Amazon to return it and noticed they sell a B100 version as well. Some sleuthing gave me the answer as to why being: M100 is for consumers, B100 typically is for businesses. Otherwise, they should be identical. So I snapped up the B100 and it arrived prompt and in a MUCH easier to open box.

No squeak! Hallelujah!
--- End quote ---

So maybe take a switch from the B100 [or just use the B100?]

HungerMechanic:
Then again, the B100 may be identical to the M100, barring superficial differences.

Interested to learn more, I'll have to look this up if I get a chance.

ArchieTect:
Here is a screenshot from a youtube video opening up a Logitech Pebble. These are the good switches. Maybe someone can visually ID them to the specific make/model but I doubt so because they look like generic tactile buttons... Any knowledge you might have is appreciated tho...

ArchieTect:
My old mouse is an Alienware Tactx mouse. Why? Supposedly this Alienware mouse was a rebranded mouse originally contracted from Logitech. It is a near match for the G9x which was that old superb gaming Logitech that is too expensive to obtain now.

I bring that up because I weighed the Alienware at 122g. The cheap M100 weighs 55g, lighter than 99% of gaming mice.

Unfortunately the polling rate of the M100 is set at 1000hz and even lower for the B100 at 800. It is light weight and has a nice click, otherwise has no frills or software remapping.

I would like to find these quiet switches and install them to make a silent killer, a lightweight mouse wih a buttery smooth click. Just a dream for now   :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version