Author Topic: [GB] KAMistry - GB extended through November 25th  (Read 4717 times)

Offline NintendoNoNo

[GB] KAMistry - GB extended through November 25th
« on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 22:15:41 »

GB DATE: October 10th, 2022 - November 25th, 2022

Vendors

Estimated shipping date (subject to change): Q4 2023

Hello fellow keeb enthusiasts! Straight from the realms of my overworked, sleep deprived grad student brain, I want to finally introduce you to a keycap set I have been working on all year, called KAMistry. KAMistry aims to bring elements (pun fully intended) of chemistry (and biology) into your keeb. The four main colors of the set (teal, light blue, light grey, and dark grey) were inspired by my repeated trips to my lab’s trusty -80 freezer. Because you can’t tell me you haven’t just looked at a freezer before and thought to yourself “Damn, that’s a nice looking freezer.” Complete with a grey face and a bright blue LED screen graced with a teal bezel, this gargantuan freezing lab companion was just begging to be used as an inspiration for pieces of matte PBT plastic.

As the name implies, this set will be in KAM profile. For those that are not familiar with the KAM profile, here is a diagram for you compared to KAT and Cherry. You can compare other profiles to it as well here: https://www.keycaps.info/stack

I have done my best to ensure the colors look accurate to the Pantones. However, do keep in mind that color can vary depending on the screen that it is viewed on. The best way to see what a color will look like as the end product is to check the pantone code in a physical guide. Samples will be ordered for comparison to those pantones!

Kits

As always, kitting is subject to change following the interest check phase.

Alphas

Alphas - Periodic

Homing

Homing - Periodic

Text mods

Icon mods

Numpad

Numpad - Alternative

Novelties

Novelties - text

Spacebars

40s text

40s icon

QAZ text

QAZ icon

Ergo text

Ergo icon

Maroon accent

Orange accent

Grey accent

Blue accent

NorDe

German

UK

French

Deskmats

Two deskmats will be made for this set, both of which have been designed by myself.

Artisans
Archetype

KeyBee Manufacturing aluminum enter artisan

Rocket Keyboards Glow-Ion-The-Dark escape artisan

NZ Caps rotary encoder knob

Straight from the lab of the evil incredibly kind geniuses at NZ caps, I bring you your KAMistry rotary encoder knob! At the time of writing this, the encoder knobs have sold out. I am working on possibly getting more made through NZ caps. Please let me know if you want one so I have an idea of the demand!

Keyboard renders

Argon40 by TheBlackHammer

QAZ by tominabox1

Zodiark by Split Logic Keyboards

Twoyo by rainkeebs

Watarah by Glow

MB44 by MelonBred

Paintbrush by Yung Zeus

Ikki68 Aurora by Wuque Studio

Mode SixtyFive by Mode Designs

Ilex by FFKeebs

Isometria by ebastler

Fuji65 by CMM Studio

M60-A by Rama Works

Digital Carpentry wrist rest collab!
KAMistry has teamed up with the amazing Digital Carpentry to design a professional, wooden, science-themed wrist rest. Samples are below! I decided to go with the benzene ring icon for mine, but you will have an option of a couple icons, including the benzene ring and atom novelty, along with an option of walnut or maple. Even cooler, you'll have options on size of the wrist rest and where you want the icon! For this sample, I wanted the hexane ring to always be visible, even when typing (top image). The wrist rest will be available soon.

The following design will be a third option available. No, it's not an actual element, but it looks darn good as one if I do say so myself.

Follow this project!

Forget needing a paid subscription to a journal. For once in science, you can get the latest updates for free! Join my NA vendor’s discord to follow updates of KAMistry.

While I may not have done something spectacular enough to receive the Nobel Prize, I do feel as though I need to thank some people for help with creating this set. So, like any good scientific paper, I would like to acknowledge the following for their help and support:

The entire PDXKBC discord. There are too many of y’all there who helped me, so I can’t list all of you unfortunately, but you have been the driving force behind this set coming to fruition.
SJ for his case file and for bouncing ideas off of.
Nathan (of GMK Iceberg fame) for answering my dumb questions about rendering.
Cadvahn for doing post-processing edits on the renders for color accuracy.
GentleBear for making materials for me in blender. He isn’t a keyboard nerd like us (yet) so I’m not sure he’ll ever see this, but his help was invaluable.
ThiccWicc for helping me with all aspects of making this set.
And of course RocketCables for answering my questions and putting up with me as I slowly figure this process out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2022, 20:37:27 by NintendoNoNo »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] KAMistry
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 20:33:35 »
Approved :thumb:

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 22:31:26 »
Is the knob from NZ Caps already sold out or not live yet?

https://www.nzcaps.com/shop/chemistry-beaker-dial

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 18:23:20 »
Don't forget to add the 2 missing keys in French kit as stated in this post
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114644.msg3144152.msg#3144152
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 09:27:24 »
I have flagged this set since it was posted in IC and yet I decided to pass due to the lack of updates provided by OP.  I waited to hold my saltiness until the GB period had concluded, as I didn't want to be the person to throw cold water on a GB. I really like this set, I'm even not that bothered by KAM (although I too would have voted for DSA), but the lack of communication by OP didn't engender trust in delivery of the product.

Some outstanding issues were: 2 missing keys in the French kit; The beaker knob 'sold out' during GB period (was sold 6 months before this GB start.)

Following in discord there are updates about the wristrest, the knob, etc. however the OP has not show this community the deserved respect by updating the GB throughout the GB period or replying to community members. I think this comment by NintendoNoNo in Discord help me feel better for taking a pass on this awesome set:

https://discord.com/channels/662761220285267978/839290114441609217/1041089239397449789

293266-0

I think anyone who posts a GB in this community should show due respect to your own work and those purchasing said product by replying to community comments and updating the GH thread on a regular basis until the GB has been completely delivered.

Offline NintendoNoNo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 10:58:31 »
I have flagged this set since it was posted in IC and yet I decided to pass due to the lack of updates provided by OP.  I waited to hold my saltiness until the GB period had concluded, as I didn't want to be the person to throw cold water on a GB. I really like this set, I'm even not that bothered by KAM (although I too would have voted for DSA), but the lack of communication by OP didn't engender trust in delivery of the product.

Some outstanding issues were: 2 missing keys in the French kit; The beaker knob 'sold out' during GB period (was sold 6 months before this GB start.)

Following in discord there are updates about the wristrest, the knob, etc. however the OP has not show this community the deserved respect by updating the GB throughout the GB period or replying to community members. I think this comment by NintendoNoNo in Discord help me feel better for taking a pass on this awesome set:

https://discord.com/channels/662761220285267978/839290114441609217/1041089239397449789

(Attachment Link)

I think anyone who posts a GB in this community should show due respect to your own work and those purchasing said product by replying to community comments and updating the GH thread on a regular basis until the GB has been completely delivered.

Hey there, sorry about the lack of responsiveness. It’s my first time running a set and I definitely made some mistakes (like you said, not following the GH thread). With that being said, I want to (finally) reply to your previous comments:

The collaborations happening at the wrong time were due to very strict scheduling on the part of the collaborators. We had to decide on a time for the GB. The original agreed on time for it was March 1st of this year, but then zFrontier stopped responding because they were shut down from Covid. However, we had already agreed on a time for the collaborations with Archetype and NZ Caps. Neither could push back the sales due to some reason, and thus we were forced to postpone the GB of the keycaps, but allow the sale of the collaborations since we have no control over that.

The French kit unfortunately can’t be changed following approval from zFrontier. I had the kit designed by a well-known member of the community (won’t say who it is on here) and they were designing the kit to try to keep it the size of the other foreign kits, for reasons dealing with our lack of being able to communicate with zFrontier. I asked many people to try to get it confirmed that the kitting would work for French keyboards (it was a very last minute addition after someone, may have been you, requested the kit) and nobody had suggested any changes, so we sent the kit in for pricing to zFrontier.

Sorry again for my lack of responsiveness. I always respond immediately on discord, but Geekhack I’m still getting used to. I hope you understand!

Offline NintendoNoNo

Re: [GB] KAMistry - GB extended through November 25th
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 November 2022, 16:38:19 »
Updated all vendor links, extended GB date

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 November 2022, 14:56:06 »
As of right now it looks like Rocket, en.zFrontier, Ashkeebs, and Protozoa are still taking orders, but it's not clear when they might close.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2022, 15:41:41 by dvorcol »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 April 2023, 17:44:27 »

More
<-- without extras
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 April 2023, 16:42:48 by dvorcol »