Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606581 times)

Offline Findecanor

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 05:48:39 »
I still use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Gnome 2 and Window Maker ...
I am looking at other distros, but haven't decided for one yet. I have been using Window Maker since I started using Linux back in the late '90s and wouldn't dream of switching to anything sub-par.

Dual-boot with Windows 7 only for games.

Offline chibishin

• sittin around all day listening to classical music
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:55:36 »
Started on slackware back in 98, then gentoo around 06, and since 10 have dropped that and gone with BSD. FreeBSD for my NAS, OSX on my MBP, and windows for general use on my HTPCs and desktop.

slackware, I get it since it's a good way to immerse yourself in the way linux works and learn it, but gentoo is just so pointless. there's so much work involved in getting that system up and running and maintained, and so little benefit. I highly doubt a fully customized gentoo system is going to run noticeably faster than, say, ubuntu.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:16:21 »
Played around with fedora for a bit, and Ubuntu for the most part before I became full time casual and stuck to windows.
I love Elzy

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:41:29 »
Started on slackware back in 98, then gentoo around 06, and since 10 have dropped that and gone with BSD. FreeBSD for my NAS, OSX on my MBP, and windows for general use on my HTPCs and desktop.

slackware, I get it since it's a good way to immerse yourself in the way linux works and learn it, but gentoo is just so pointless. there's so much work involved in getting that system up and running and maintained, and so little benefit. I highly doubt a fully customized gentoo system is going to run noticeably faster than, say, ubuntu.

I think this guy would disagree: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 12:33:20 »
Archlinux since 2008 and before that Slackware. Linux is only fun when it's hard and nothing works.

QFT :D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 16:26:49 »

I think this guy would disagree: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

Haha...  "Rebuild your system with sane settings and post back if you still have the problem". 

That is almost an equivalent to just responding with: PEBKAC... 

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 16:33:53 »
Haha...  "Rebuild your system with sane settings and post back if you still have the problem". 

In this case, PEBKAC is accurate. Look at the wild, irresponsible CFLAGS they were using. It's no wonder that system broke.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 16:36:01 »

In this case, PEBKAC is accurate. Look at the wild, irresponsible CFLAGS they were using. It's no wonder that system broke.

Haha, ya fair enough.  It is still a funny response to an issue.  :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:14:38 »
Desktops: LMDE (with one legacy LM 13 LTS instance) with MATE desktop
Non-PROD Servers and some VM instances: Debian 6
PROD Servers and most VM instances: CentOS 6

I'd use CentOS 6 on all servers and VM instances, but some things are just easier to deploy with Debian, mostly because the Debian folks work with more application teams than the CentOS folks.  ZFS on Linux and Request Tracker 4 are two examples of that situation.

64-bit everywhere, because why not?

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s. Also VIM Master Race, which is why all my custom keyboard layouts have an Insert key on the top layer.  And if you use VIM without using the tri-state Insert toggle, you are missing some of the fun!  Especially if you have to do any SQL.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:23:28 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline osi

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:58:02 »
Work machine : Slackware /w fluxbox
Servers : centos 6.x

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:58:53 »
p.s. Also VIM Master Race, which is why all my custom keyboard layouts have an Insert key on the top layer.  And if you use VIM without using the tri-state Insert toggle, you are missing some of the fun!  Especially if you have to do any SQL.

On my setup it toggles between insert and replace modes.  Didn't know about that, but it doesn't seem very useful as I almost never use replace mode.  I'm probably missing something awesome though.. ?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:14:44 »
I would almost pay someone to explain how my insert key is designed to work on my fc660c. I swear that button does nothing. @samwisekoi: can you give me a simple example I can try to verify the key is even working? 

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:19:45 »
Usually the input button makes every character you type overwrite the one after it. Try clicking in the middle of a sentance, pressing the insert key, then typing some more. If insert mode is on it should start typing over the old text instead of inserting it in the middle.

Note: Back in the days of text only consoles (and TI's calculators today) the overwrite mode was the default and you had to press the insert key to add anything in the middle.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:27:25 by Smasher816 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:26:15 »
Usually the input button makes every character you type overwrite the one after it. Try clicking in the middle of a sentance, pressing the enter key, then typing some more. If insert mode is on it should start typing over the old text instead of inserting it in the middle.

Note: Back in the days of text only consoles (and TI's calculators today) the overwrite mode was the default and you had to press the insert key to add anything in the middle.

This is what I expected. In vim I press 'i' to get into edit mode. I then hit the insert key and start typing. I expect it to overwrite the text and it doesn't. I can't get it to work in another editor like sublime either. As a coder I would totally use it if I could figure it out.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:29:23 »
Maybe pull up "xev" in a console and double check what they keys output is?

This is what shows up on my board:
Code: [Select]
KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
    root 0x29d, subw 0x0, time 9710021, (342,453), root:(4824,474),
    state 0x10, keycode 118 (keysym 0xff63, Insert), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
    root 0x29d, subw 0x0, time 9710125, (342,453), root:(4824,474),

The important part is the "Insert" in parentheses. If that part is blank you might look at the keycode to figure out what its doing. If nothing shows up at all then I'm not sure whats up (something with the board).
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:31:23 by Smasher816 »

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 21:07:53 »

Why would you use insert over R....? And does anyone actually find replace mode that useful in the first place?

Maybe pull up "xev" in a console and double check what they keys output is?

This is what shows up on my board:
KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
    root 0x29d, subw 0x0, time 9710021, (342,453), root:(4824,474),
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
    root 0x29d, subw 0x0, time 9710125, (342,453), root:(4824,474),

The important part is the "Insert" in parentheses. If that part is blank you might look at the keycode to figure out what its doing. If nothing shows up at all then I'm not sure whats up (something with the board).

And if it isn't insert, and you want to make it insert:
xmodmap -e "keycode 118 = Insert"
(assuming it shows up as keycode 118; this change won't apply after you restart, so you can put "keycode ..." in a file and put "xmodmap /path/to/file" in your .xinitrc or whatever you use for startup)
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 21:10:10 by angelic_sedition »
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline Decaffeinator

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 05:51:06 »
I'm currently using Arch Linux and BSPWM. I use Vim more often than emacs, but they both have they're advantages.   :)

Offline Bencze

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 08:19:31 »
I use Centos for home server (nas, mpd, squid, whatnot).

I tried ubuntu for desktop, then debian for basically being a mature ubuntu but I always met difficulties from day 1. Like I struggled in debian to turn off the damn framebuffer text mode and bring back regular text mode console, found various solutions and none of them worked. That install lived for 1 day.
In ubuntu I never understood the different runlevels and startup scripts either, but now Fedora uses something weird as well so suddenly it's difficult to manually work with services.

I have a Fedora at home I rarely use just when I want to try something.
Somehow I never got the linux desktop thing going, it's awesome for the server tasks in text mode that's all. Maybe valve and opengl etc. will be able to change that.
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:01:12 »
In vim, Insert puts the editor in insert mode, and pressing again puts it into replace, etc.  Escape exits the mode.

I like it because I can hit either key while thinking of typing other letters.

Example #1: Open this file and add time (e.g. " 02:00:00") to the first date below.
<ins><<down>><end><<left>> 02:00:00
Example #2: Change "2014-04-07" to "2014-04-14".
<<down>><end><<left>><ins>14<esc>:wq

FROM
Tickets
Inner Join Users ON Tickets.Owner = Users.id
Inner Join Queues ON Tickets.Queue = Queues.id
WHERE
        Tickets.id =  Tickets.EffectiveId
        AND
        Queues.Name LIKE  'ALERT.%'
        AND
        Tickets.Subject NOT LIKE '%ACKNOWLEDGEMENT%'
        AND
        Tickets.Status NOT LIKE 'rejected'
        AND
        Tickets.Created >=  '2014-03-31'
        AND
        Tickets.Created <   '2014-04-07'
ORDER BY
        TIMEDIFF(Tickets.Started, Tickets.Created) DESC
" > $spreadsheet

I can find the arrows and the Insert and End keys without thought.

(Now that I think about it, I should remap Fire and Jump to those keys in games!)

Anyhow, those are my examples.  Also real code I modified yesterday.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:03:21 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:08:12 »
Oh man, I've tried to switch to a linux desktop multiple times over the past 20 years but it never stuck. My most recent serious attempt to switch was to OpenSuse maybe about 3 years ago. I think I made it a couple of months. I've tried Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, Chakra, Gentoo and probably several others as well.

I do, however, plan to try Qubes OS in the next month or two for an extended period of time. I will be virtualizing windows this time so I won't have to try to give up outlook and onenote. I am hoping that I'll have better luck this time since I'm not actually trying to give up all my favorite windows apps at the same time as well.

When it comes to servers and command line, I absolutely love linux. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands :) I use Centos/RHEL here as I need the ultra long term stability. I'm fairly comfortable on an Ubuntu LTS server as well, but I don't really consider their LTS distro all that LTS. We're getting close to the next LTS release, but I just had to install an unbuntu server with the current LTS version, and it only has 3 years of bugfixes left. That kinda sucks for a "long term" OS that I just installed. This is why RHEL/Centos has a much longer support cycle. In addition, I can work with RPM spec files and can build/adjust my own RPMs most of the time without too much issue. This allows me to run my own small repository for my needs.

The first thing I ever do on any linux install, yum install emacs-nox or apt-get install emacs-nox, never been much of a vim fan though I can do a few very basic things in there.

My firewalls are pfsense (freebsd), but I may switch to one of the vyatta forks at some point. I tried to use vyatta before pfsense, but found it more of a router OS and not super ideal for firewall use. But it's been years, and I really did love it. Managing it is similar to managing cisco or hp stuff.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:25:27 »
Oh man, I've tried to switch to a linux desktop multiple times over the past 20 years but it never stuck. My most recent serious attempt to switch was to OpenSuse maybe about 3 years ago. I think I made it a couple of months. I've tried Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, Chakra, Gentoo and probably several others as well.

I do, however, plan to try Qubes OS in the next month or two for an extended period of time. I will be virtualizing windows this time so I won't have to try to give up outlook and onenote. I am hoping that I'll have better luck this time since I'm not actually trying to give up all my favorite windows apps at the same time as well.

When it comes to servers and command line, I absolutely love linux. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands :) I use Centos/RHEL here as I need the ultra long term stability. I'm fairly comfortable on an Ubuntu LTS server as well, but I don't really consider their LTS distro all that LTS. We're getting close to the next LTS release, but I just had to install an unbuntu server with the current LTS version, and it only has 3 years of bugfixes left. That kinda sucks for a "long term" OS that I just installed. This is why RHEL/Centos has a much longer support cycle. In addition, I can work with RPM spec files and can build/adjust my own RPMs most of the time without too much issue. This allows me to run my own small repository for my needs.

The first thing I ever do on any linux install, yum install emacs-nox or apt-get install emacs-nox, never been much of a vim fan though I can do a few very basic things in there.

My firewalls are pfsense (freebsd), but I may switch to one of the vyatta forks at some point. I tried to use vyatta before pfsense, but found it more of a router OS and not super ideal for firewall use. But it's been years, and I really did love it. Managing it is similar to managing cisco or hp stuff.

pfSense is awesome. I've been trying to get a FreeBSD install working on my laptop but unfortunately I cant find some drivers I need.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 01:14:07 »
When it comes to servers and command line, I absolutely love linux. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands :)

Couldnt agree more. The flexibility and control you can get from linux (bash, zsh etc) is way ahead what windows can offer.  I use zsh with O-my-zsh, Love it. I also find the gui to be so unessesary on an server. ssh is som much better.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline iri

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:44:17 »
i use ubuntu 12.04, debian wheezy and opensuse.

i am also master multiracial, since i use both vim and emacs.

Oh man, I've tried to switch to a linux desktop multiple times over the past 20 years but it never stuck.
does it mean you first tried linux desktop in 1994?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:49:00 »
i use ubuntu 12.04, debian wheezy and opensuse.

i am also master multiracial, since i use both vim and emacs.

Oh man, I've tried to switch to a linux desktop multiple times over the past 20 years but it never stuck.

That would have had kernel version < 2.0 - should have been interesting!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 05:03:26 »
that would have had kernel version 0.99 -- 1.0 most likely. but let alone the kernel-shmernel, think about the desktop! xfree86 vs windows 3.1!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 05:06:25 »
I used old versions of XFree86 - where you had to configure everything, including monitor refresh rates, yourself.

Kids these days don't know how easy they have it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 05:19:35 »
I used old versions of XFree86 - where you had to configure everything, including monitor refresh rates, yourself.

after my initial high school affairs with linux i basically gave it up for 3-4 years until i found out x.org configuration was pretty much automatic... it was that bad.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 06:55:23 »

Hyperbole. I thought that would be obvious based on the list of distros I mentioned.

One of my college friends had slackware on a floppy disk. Complete with kernel config via Q&A, no ncurses "make menuconfig" easy stuff. My first exposure to slackware and redhat was 1996, my first server (redhat) was probably '99 as that would be when my friend started his company and hired me :) My first serious attempt to switch to linux desktop was some version of RedHat Linux pre-fedora, I don't recall which one. But I did make it a few months before I gave up there as well. And I know I tried fedora v1 when it came out a few years later as well. Beyond this, everything else is foggy :)

By 2001 I was comfortable enough with linux to be giving out advice on occasion:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-megaraid-devel&m=101337821612430&w=1

I used to get emailed directly from random people about monitoring megaraid controllers because of that post :)

In contrast, the only time I attempted to switch to mac was 2000ish? It was a beta of OSX with a hacked kernel so it ran on a 604e. I haven't attempted to switch to a mac since. Guess which OS I like better?  :thumb:

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:02:04 »
that would have had kernel version 0.99 -- 1.0 most likely. but let alone the kernel-shmernel, think about the desktop! xfree86 vs windows 3.1!

I definitely did not try to switch to linux for desktop before kernel 2.0

Offline iri

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:12:10 »
Hyperbole.
:(

i'll be switching to centos for work machine Soon™

-Ray Bradbury

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:45:47 »
Hyperbole.
:(

i'll be switching to centos for work machine Soon™

:) CentOS should work well for work, I don't think I could ever use it as a home desktop though.

I'm actually really excited to try Qubes OS. It's an OS for the paranoid, if you aren't familiar with it. Not "I need to be anonymous" paranoid like TAILS. More "put everything into its own box in case I'm ever hacked" paranoid. High security is accomplished by keeping everything in separate Xen domains.

http://www.qubesos.com/trac

I'm going to attempt to use a workflow similar to this:
http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2011/03/partitioning-my-digital-life-into.html

Edit: grammar correction
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:54:19 by cultofjosh »

Offline jakkdl

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:56:56 »
arch masterrace reporting in

Das Keyboard S Ultimate, Cherry MX Blue

Offline iri

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:41:17 »
is arch any better than the precious ubuntu?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:55:21 »

Ubuntu is bloatware compared to arch.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:55:48 »

after my initial high school affairs with linux i basically gave it up for 3-4 years until i found out x.org configuration was pretty much automatic... it was that bad.

I wasn't counting ancient distros, but...

During the early 90's, Apple and IBM were in bed together doing the PowerPC thing.  This was before Jobs came back with the Mach kernel, so with IBM came AIX.  We used it on a couple of servers (I frankly don't remember for what) but more interestingly, Apple being Apple they had do roll their own version.

Thus A/UX (for Apple Unix) was born.  It ran on the Power PC, and used Unix System V as the base.  Then the Apple engineers ported the Finder to (I'm guessing here) X-Windows for a best-of-both-worlds experience.

I was on the internal Beta test team for versions 1-3.  The project was eventually abandoned, as it should have been.  I remember two things about it:  (1) you had to actually "run" any icon you would normally have just clicked on, and (2) an important element of successful use was the Eschatology partition that the system kept for file system recovery if the system halted at any point.  It did that often.

Eschatology is the study of the dead, and this would have been 1992-1994 IIRC.  (I was at Apple from 1989-1997.)

I don't count that as using *nix on a desktop, but I used it, and it was on a Mac sitting on top of my desk.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline iri

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:08:26 »

Ubuntu is bloatware compared to arch.
well, it's a bloatware compared to my wheezy as well.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:38:46 »
I use PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) on my laptop and find it to be quite suitable for the purpose.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline godly_music

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:30:37 »
If I were to go back to Linux, it's between Arch (or the Chakra spinoff) and Debian (or the Crunchbang spinoff). They're all pretty damn well done. Still, Windows is a smoother ride for me and I like to play games.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:25:03 »
I ran linux exclusively from 2000-2007 (until work started paying for me to have the best Mac laptop on the market every couple years).

It took a little tweaking of the memory management and video settings but my Ubuntu machine was working as a great platform for all my Windows games using WineX.  I was playing WoW at the time with about half the minimum system requirements (according to the box).  All my friends had about 4x the machine that I had and they were all lagging out in 40 man raids.  I never had a problem...

I have to admit that I had to do some serious hacking initially to get it working perfectly, but once I got it, it was rock solid...

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:02:31 »
I ran linux exclusively from 2000-2007 (until work started paying for me to have the best Mac laptop on the market every couple years).

It took a little tweaking of the memory management and video settings but my Ubuntu machine was working as a great platform for all my Windows games using WineX.  I was playing WoW at the time with about half the minimum system requirements (according to the box).  All my friends had about 4x the machine that I had and they were all lagging out in 40 man raids.  I never had a problem...

I have to admit that I had to do some serious hacking initially to get it working perfectly, but once I got it, it was rock solid...

I never played a lot of starcraft, but I remember being quite happy I was able to get it running under wine. I think twice in the past couple of years I've found out someone at work uses linux at home. I offer them a super fast i7 w SSD PC and tell them they can run any linux distro they want on it. But then they ask for a mac instead :(

Samwise, even though I'm not an Apple fan, that's some serious geek cred there in my book :) I did mess around with Darwin a little bit and was upset when they canned it. I will be getting my first mac mini server in a week, already bought and paid for.

Offline arfink

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:28:47 »
Linux Mint Cinnamon is my flavor of choice at the moment. I wish there was a killer-app window manager though to use instead of Cinnamon. Gnome ain't what it used to be.

I should probably also add, I'm a graphics/digital art guy and use Linux and FOSS tools exclusively.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:32:58 by arfink »

Offline iri

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 05:16:37 »
i run linux exclusively since 2006 at home. it was fun when in 2008 CS run in wine on my crappy laptop had higher FPS than when run on my powerful work pc with a good video card. and nowadays desktop linux is evolved more than enough to use it.

i also had a macmini at work. mac os x was all shiny and cute and sometimes making me want to smash the machine with a jackhammer. so i switched back to linux for work.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 05:54:03 »
Linux Mint Cinnamon is my flavor of choice at the moment. I wish there was a killer-app window manager though to use instead of Cinnamon. Gnome ain't what it used to be.

I should probably also add, I'm a graphics/digital art guy and use Linux and FOSS tools exclusively.

What Foss tools do you use for graphics? I was using gimp and inkscape, but I have to admit that photoshop and illustrator are the main reasons I am not on linux full time.

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 06:53:29 »
Gentoo is my preferred for home with Arch a close second.  Still use Windows more than I feel I should.

Qubes seems kinda of cool.  Thanks for posting it!

Started with Yggdrasil Linux in early 1995, then Slackware, then RedHat, then Debian, then Mandrake, then Debian, then Gentoo, then Arch, then Gentoo.

At work I suggested we replace a Unix box with Linux years ago.  So RedHat AS 2.1, RHEL server 5.4, RHEL 6.5 server and will go to RHEL 7 when its released.  Small company just one Linux box.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:01:24 »
Samwise, even though I'm not an Apple fan, that's some serious geek cred there in my book :) I did mess around with Darwin a little bit and was upset when they canned it. I will be getting my first mac mini server in a week, already bought and paid for.

From what I remember of Darwin, isn't it just BSD with the mach microkernel?

Nicely wrapped in the GUI shell that is OS X. :)

Also, for those that find themselves using Windows over Linux at home more than they would like, just do what I do. Don't dual boot. Make the decision to use Linux exclusively on your primary machine. Then, I keep a laptop with Windows for those times I really must use it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:05:40 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline regack

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:24:10 »
I have used other distros, but I always return to slackware. 

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:37:25 »

Also, for those that find themselves using Windows over Linux at home more than they would like, just do what I do. Don't dual boot. Make the decision to use Linux exclusively on your primary machine. Then, I keep a laptop with Windows for those times I really must use it.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. Apple still open sources all the stuff they have to, and then some, but no complete installable operating system :( I don't think there was a GUI. Maybe X11, I really can't recall at the moment. It does appear that xfree86 was ported, but I'm not sure if that was officially part of Darwin.

I was going to use it to teach myself bsd style commands. To this day, I still type "ps faux" on macs and get an error before I remember it's not linux.

Offline iri

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:43:26 »
Then, I keep a laptop with Windows for those times I really must use it.
phew! it's good that i need not to!

I have used other distros, but I always return to slackware.
awesome!

I was going to use it to teach myself bsd style commands. To this day, I still type "ps faux" on macs and get an error before I remember it's not linux.
ps aux works on os x in iterm2.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:34:21 »

I'm pretty sure you are correct. Apple still open sources all the stuff they have to, and then some, but no complete installable operating system :( I don't think there was a GUI. Maybe X11, I really can't recall at the moment. It does appear that xfree86 was ported, but I'm not sure if that was officially part of Darwin.

darwin runs with X11 - apple shipped it with their developer tools back in the last decade. not sure if they still do. i only ever installed the dev tools so I could run X11 stuff once in a while :)
unfortunately apple hasn't updated the official OSS darwin in years.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:35:39 »
Ubuntu on my notebook and at work.