Author Topic: [IC] The Keyboard Coffee Table Picture Book  (Read 108269 times)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: [IC] The Keyboard Coffee Table Picture Book
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 06:56:33 »
Any tips on taking pictures (Samsung S4)?

Would love to take some piccies of my Lightsaver.
Lighting is your key, try to put it next to a window with non direct sunlight on it

Also set your iso to 100 for good mobile photography

You can change your phones ISO... O_o I didn't know this. (Sony Z3)
Hnnggg not all phone, but the recent release one you can. Which they have manual mode

My bad
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 08:20:54 »
I'm really interested in this. I've been working on a zine and so I've got a bit of experience with laying that out. If that's helpful to you I'd be glad to help out a bit.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 09:40:02 »
I'm really interested in this. I've been working on a zine and so I've got a bit of experience with laying that out. If that's helpful to you I'd be glad to help out a bit.

I was hoping you'd see this project and lend your expertise. It would absolutely help to have the guy who's currently making keyboarding print media...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 09:41:44 »
I was hoping you'd see this project and lend your expertise. It would absolutely help to have the guy who's currently making keyboarding print media...

My zine is poorly laid out though so I'm sure we'd have to lean on booper's experience more than mine. But I'm happy to pitch in regardless :).

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 09:43:22 »

My zine is poorly laid out though so I'm sure we'd have to lean on booper's experience more than mine. But I'm happy to pitch in regardless :).

zine layout is zine layout

zines > coffeetable books <3
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:01:06 »
Added my own :thumb: Really hope we get to see this through, I'd love to get my hands on a copy
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:23:08 »
As far as what a "coffee table book" is, Wikipedia's page seems to sum it up nicely:

A coffee table book is an oversized, usually hard-covered book whose purpose is for display on a table intended for use in an area in which one entertains guests and from which it can serve to inspire conversation. Subject matter is predominantly non-fiction and pictorial (a photo-book). Pages consist mainly of photographs and illustrations, accompanied by captions and small blocks of text, as opposed to long prose.

What it doesn't mention is that the book itself often functions as an art object. I think we'd all agree that a big book with a glam photo of a rare KB on its cover would enhance any decor.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 03:19:35 »
This is an awesome idea. I was worried about suggesting something since I traverse r/MK more frequently, but it seems y'all are open to all support or suggestions.

I would buy one of these if one of my pictures made it or not. I will compile an album and post it after some time with my camera, as of right now this is my favorite (possibly because it is fairly new).

A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 06:50:03 »
Love that picture Suembeaux! It would make a pretty good cover photo too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 06:57:14 »
Have ya'll see ComradeSniper's Flickr page? It's really underrated in terms of keyboard flicks and photography in general.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:04:36 »
Have ya'll see ComradeSniper's Flickr page? It's really underrated in terms of keyboard flicks and photography in general.

Seriously, don't even get me started on his gun pics :cool:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:46:30 »
I haven't caught up on this thread yet but I will be uploading a few of my pics for consideration in the coming days. :)  Can anyone TL;DR a timeline for this? Are we nearing an upload deadline that I should be scrambling to meet?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:14:03 »
I haven't caught up on this thread yet but I will be uploading a few of my pics for consideration in the coming days. :)  Can anyone TL;DR a timeline for this? Are we nearing an upload deadline that I should be scrambling to meet?

There really hasn't been any activity lately, I'm honestly not sure what's going on. It's been a few weeks since SamirD has commented on anything.

I'm all for this but don't see much traction yet. There's a lot that people want to throw into this book but the more pages=higher price. I personally would just love a book with some really nice custom boards on it, if this falls through I would try and get that done. Who knows maybe I can just make one for myself at least.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:22:38 »

There really hasn't been any activity lately, I'm honestly not sure what's going on. It's been a few weeks since SamirD has commented on anything.

I'm all for this but don't see much traction yet. There's a lot that people want to throw into this book but the more pages=higher price. I personally would just love a book with some really nice custom boards on it, if this falls through I would try and get that done. Who knows maybe I can just make one for myself at least.
You should get two then - that way I could also have one.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:28:05 »

Haha maybe. :p

I definitely want to see what Samir can make of this. I see a lot of discussion of adding retail boards, artisans, etc. I'm mainly focused on getting some amazing customs, just the best of the best that we can do with keyboards for a picture book.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:30:34 »

Haha maybe.
I definitely want to see what Samir can make of this. I see a lot of discussion of adding retail boards, artisans, etc. I'm mainly focused on getting some amazing customs, just the best of the best that we can do with keyboards for a picture book.
That's the kind of book I would prefer, otherwise it would just be too convoluted and congested.

Here's hoping my board is good enough to make it XD

Although I do have several boards (well, cases, rather) that I'm hoping will arrive and be finished by the time the book happens.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:43:39 »
If you're still taking ideas, how about 100-200 pages with 3/4 different titles? Keyboards with Artisans, Custom builts, Oldies, Ergodoxes? Or im thinking too much..

Either way, each page with a picture should have the user's GH user in a small font in the bottom left.
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:44:48 »
If you're still taking ideas, how about 100-200 pages with 3/4 different titles? Keyboards with Artisans, Custom builts, Oldies, Ergodoxes? Or im thinking too much..

Either way, each page with a picture should have the user's GH user in a small font in the bottom left.

100-200 would make the cost insanely expensive.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:48:42 »

Haha maybe. :p

That's exactly what I'm hoping that this turns out to me. Nothing retail, just highly customized boards that really show off this hobby. Just submitted my JTK debut board.

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:55:43 »
It would be pretty cool if the book was rectangular and in the shape of say a model M keyboard with a full frame shot of one top down as the cover, and the pages flipped upwards on a spiral back so you could fold it over like a calendar. I'm sure something odd like that in layout would make it much more expensive though.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:57:41 »

As steezus pointed out, that many pages would be ridiculously expensive. I was thinking closer to 60 pages at most...

Also, what makes ergodox boards worthy of their own section? I would think that we could at least include ergonomic keyboards in general, if we were going to do that (I'm not a big fan of the way that the ergodox looks though, so I may be biased.)

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 21:44:30 »

As steezus pointed out, that many pages would be ridiculously expensive. I was thinking closer to 60 pages at most...

Also, what makes ergodox boards worthy of their own section? I would think that we could at least include ergonomic keyboards in general, if we were going to do that (I'm not a big fan of the way that the ergodox looks though, so I may be biased.)

Now i think about it, 100-200 is a bit much.

I included ergodox as i would want a few pages dedicated to weirdly shaped boards that are still functional. I guess 'Ergonomic' would fit that. then other weirdly shaped 40/60% could be included too.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 22:16:55 »

Now i think about it, 100-200 is a bit much.

I included ergodox as i would want a few pages dedicated to weirdly shaped boards that are still functional. I guess 'Ergonomic' would fit that. then other weirdly shaped 40/60% could be included too.

Yea, having an ergonomic section might be a bit better since there's quite a few of them. ErgoDox, Atreus, Diverge, Kenesis, UHKB; just to name a few.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:25:05 »
Is there any word back from the OP? Maybe someone else could pick up this idea..

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:47:34 »
Is there any word back from the OP?

I think Samir is traveling for work, so I'd expect him to give an update when he returns.  But I could be wrong.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:52:32 »
I want to take some beautiful pics, but my camera sux0rz...

Anyone lend me one? :3

I really want my LS and Orion to shine :'(

****e pics:
http://imgur.com/utKMSGa
http://imgur.com/uONAcqc
http://imgur.com/OSxAh4J
http://imgur.com/cGPHDnd
http://imgur.com/YDmWyYH
http://imgur.com/vxCW6kb
http://imgur.com/6olaIpC

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:55:35 »

****e pics:
If you're in the seattle/bellingham/Vancouver area, you'd be welcome to come over to my place with one of your boards, and we could take some awesome photos :)

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:59:06 »
I'd be happy to get in on the action and give you full res files if you want any from these albums.

https://imgur.com/a/tc1RR
https://imgur.com/a/V4TQZ
https://imgur.com/a/7EYhf

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:20:17 »
I'd be happy to get in on the action and give you full res files if you want any from these albums.

https://imgur.com/a/tc1RR
https://imgur.com/a/V4TQZ
https://imgur.com/a/7EYhf

You might just want to pic out a few and submit them to the gallery, I think when there is enough in there, they will get picked through for the best shots.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 00:06:53 »

****e pics:
If you're in the seattle/bellingham/Vancouver area, you'd be welcome to come over to my place with one of your boards, and we could take some awesome photos :)

I wish dude, I'm in Australia  :'( :-[

Really appreciate the offer though :)

side note, reminded me of this;

(if you have seen Black Books, if you have not...you should!)

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 19:31:50 »
Any chance of an update? I'm still very interested :D

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 19:58:54 »
Holy ****, risen from the grave! I risky forgot about this. An update would be awesome.

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 00:25:08 »
Yeah, I am still interested in this as well.

/u/Shartastical

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:44:10 »
Would anybody else care to revive this, or am I the only one? I still think it's a phenomenal idea.

I just moved into a new apartment and for the first time I am able to furnish my place with new furniture. I would love to have one of these books on my new coffee table.

/u/Shartastical

Offline achooie

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:28:19 »
I'm interested too. I just got a new lens for my camera, so I can contribute!
Planck Zealios 67g | Leopold FC900R | Apple M0116 Alps Salmon (ADB converter) | HHKB Pro HYBRID Type-S

Offline doooostin

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 01:17:29 »
Graphic designer here. I'm planning on mocking up a 10 page spread, once I come back from GDQ. I have some ideas of what would make a great mechanical keeb book....

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 14:01:21 »
Graphic designer here. I'm planning on mocking up a 10 page spread, once I come back from GDQ. I have some ideas of what would make a great mechanical keeb book....

Please do, also, how are you enjoying GDQ? I have been passively watching a lot of runs at work.

/u/Shartastical

Offline doooostin

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:38:16 »

Please do, also, how are you enjoying GDQ? I have been passively watching a lot of runs at work.

I''m actually on staff, one of the audio crew members. It's been both fun, and tiring! But its for a good cause :).

I ran this project through my creative team, there has been some vested interest, /so expect a mockup in the upcoming weeks.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:40:35 by doooostin »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:42:20 »
Literally printed keyboard porn.

I believe GH's porn and DT's porn will be of quite different taste.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 15:30:04 »
I am pro photographer, how can i Help?, i do Visual identity alot, i can do QC on the selected photos an alot more just pm me :)

A pic just to show off my talent  :cool:

157698-0

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 16:13:33 by pon10 »

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 16:50:32 »
I am pro photographer, how can i Help?, i do Visual identity alot, i can do QC on the selected photos an alot more just pm me :)

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, well, I uhhh, have a speed light.

in ur face.

/u/Shartastical

Offline pon10

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:03:01 »

Yeah, well, I uhhh, have a speed light.

in ur face.

haha i dont use  handheld flash...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:08:11 by pon10 »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:46:41 »

(Attachment Link)

IDK, that picture looks like it was taken with a mobile phone, not very impressed with your skills mate

OT: /u/ctzn_voyager does some amazing photographs as well, hope some of his shots will be included!
https://www.reddit.com/user/ctzn_voyager/submitted/
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:49:04 by Oblotzky »

Offline pon10

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:59:54 »

IDK, that picture looks like it was taken with a mobile phone, not very impressed with your skills mate

OT: /u/ctzn_voyager does some amazing photographs as well, hope some of his shots will be included!
https://www.reddit.com/user/ctzn_voyager/submitted/

It was meant as a joke ;) this is a photo not a rama render :p when i get a board that's deserves a shot i will put it up, but as i said would love to help out if needed! :)

some shots of some of the work i do

157720-1

i Hit up ctzn_voyager the first picture i saw he is mixing tungsten an daylight.. so nasty yellow over cold daylight, not nice imo But FINE ASS BOARDS :D

http://imgur.com/a/QHRZD
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:51:53 by pon10 »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 08:45:04 »
I'm very interested in this. I think it would be a cool to show off to home visitors as I definitely don't have a large enough bank account to show all my favorite keycaps/keyboards/artisans

I would suggest making a smaller coffee table book (less thick not overall dimensions) so as to get this out faster and maybe more consistently - maybe twice a year or quarterly. That way we can actually cover relevant keyboards rather than those that have been built ages ago.

How can I help? I'm a hobbyist photographer, not as pro as the guys above me, got a few keyboards, and have a small but growing YouTube channel.

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 09:26:40 »
Sweet idea. Would be cool to have some infographics about what makes mechanical keyboards so cool. That way when people asked me about mine in the office i can hit em with the book and blow their minds.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 12:57:33 »
So Costco sells coffee table books

LayFlat Style
starts at 39.99 for 30 pages and we can add up to 72

Regular Photo Cover
starts at 17.99 for 30 pages and we can add up to 100

Padded Leather Cover
starts at 27.99 for 30 pages and we can add up to 100

Can be picked up within 5-7 business days from your nearest Costco warehouse.

We wouldn't have too much savings in a GB, but the prices definitely look affordable

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:00:56 »
I've been quietly following this for a while, but now I'm left wondering... what's the status on this? Are we just compiling decent photos?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 20:29:16 »
I've been quietly following this for a while, but now I'm left wondering... what's the status on this? Are we just compiling decent photos?

original project been dead for a while it just gets necro'd every few months lol

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 21:16:44 »
I'm very interested in this. I think it would be a cool to show off to home visitors as I definitely don't have a large enough bank account to show all my favorite keycaps/keyboards/artisans

I would suggest making a smaller coffee table book (less thick not overall dimensions) so as to get this out faster and maybe more consistently - maybe twice a year or quarterly. That way we can actually cover relevant keyboards rather than those that have been built ages ago.

How can I help? I'm a hobbyist photographer, not as pro as the guys above me, got a few keyboards, and have a small but growing YouTube channel.

Interesting idea to try to release one periodically. I think it'd be better to go for once a year, almost like a year book =P Probably some time around the KOTY poll would be appropriate.

Doing it quartly almost makes it like a magazine =/