Author Topic: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Starts TOMORROW, 9/2 - GB thread is open!  (Read 91677 times)

Offline YangYoga

Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 05:12:45 »
For the novelties it would be super amazing if you added the missing parts from the Ba Gua of Daoism   

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 01:05:08 »
I've been following this for a while now.
I'm in for a base and novelties.
This kit is wonderful to pair with BoW and WoB!

Offline 2003987

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 01:36:38 »
Well if anyone still remember this......

nice colorway though, but im not buying coz above.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 16:12:14 »
Hi all,

Finally back with some updates. Massive thanks to Janglad for banging these out. OP has been updated with the below.

This set will be run in September with the following vendors:

NA: TXKeyboards
Canada: DeskHero
EU: MyKeyboards
Asia: iLumkb
Oceania: DailyClack

Changelog [also posted in the 2nd post (reserved) on the 1st page under the OP]:

- Added blue accents to all kits (GMK V4)
- In a nod to the Korean Kustoms that helped popularize them, F13 and Alice support have been added to the Base kit
- Added 한자 and 한/영 keys in 1u, 1.25u and 1.5u to the Base kit
- Added R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn to the Base kit
- Mac bottom row swaps and off-center 6u spacebar have been removed from the Base kit in order to accommodate the above changes
- Added a Hangul kit with 2nd tab (moved from Base kit)
- Added rudimentary ISO support to the Numpad kit
- Streamlined the Forties kit in a manner similar to GMK Cafe and GMK Apollo
- Changed 화이팅! to 대한민국 (this was much more popular in the poll)
- Added new render on an HBCP
- Added new render on a Planck Hi-Pro
- Added GB date and vendor list
- Updated IC form link with new form. Please fill it out! Link here for convenience.

**Additional note for the person who asked: I considered removing the tertiary legends for a cleaner look (a la GMK Pulse) but decided against it. Sorry.

And without further ado, updated kits:

And updated renders:

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2020, 15:13:29 by Fredington »

Offline Blvck.-

Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Updated Kits/Renders, Date, & Vendors!
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 08:42:15 »
Every time I see this kit I get more excited for it, Thanks for the update everything looks amazing keep up the good work.  :thumb:

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 15:14:53 »
A small correction to the Forties kit has been posted in the OP. Previously, it was missing a R3 1.5u Function key:

Offline 2003987

I still remember 2002 in Korea.
Everyone was in red t-shirt.
I'll gonna wait for this gb, lots of interest!

Lol 2002 fight club, what a great team.

Offline 2003987

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:43:32 »
Please consider adding a Referee Byron Moreno key to the Taegukgi

Novelties should include Bryon Moreno and Korean Won. Red Devils in terms of breaking legs lol.

Offline frasnow

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 21:00:28 »
Ignore the troll. Should take his disappointment elsewhere. Such an incredible set for a great team.

Any chance we could get row numbers for the novelties? Image makes it look like all rows are covered, but render on arrows indicates four row 4 keys.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 21:50:31 »
Ignore the troll. Should take his disappointment elsewhere. Such an incredible set for a great team.

Any chance we could get row numbers for the novelties? Image makes it look like all rows are covered, but render on arrows indicates four row 4 keys.

It's 1-2-3-4 in the novelty kit.

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:24:33 »
Any chance of making one of each size 'Alt' an 'Alt Gr' instead of having all of them just 'Alt'?
Also ~ any chance of having a full WKL bottom row mods with Hangul only? (ie adding one more pair of 1.5u Hangul mods)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2020, 22:26:08 by Pluto19 »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 23:38:46 »
For the novelties it would be super amazing if you added the missing parts from the Ba Gua of Daoism   

Show Image

This has already been discussed in this thread. The answer is no as per below quote:

The problem with Bagua is that the meanings of the trigrams change from when there's only 4. On top of that, it also changes based on which version of the Bagua you choose, Earlier Heaven or Later Heaven. At that point, it's starting to get away from the point of the set in the first place.

Well if anyone still remember this......

nice colorway though, but im not buying coz above.

Perhaps I will add a salty key in blue for Italy.

Any chance of making one of each size 'Alt' an 'Alt Gr' instead of having all of them just 'Alt'?
Also ~ any chance of having a full WKL bottom row mods with Hangul only? (ie adding one more pair of 1.5u Hangul mods)

No.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2020, 23:49:24 by Fredington »

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 14:32:00 »

No.
Lame.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:52:34 »
After some thought, I realized there's a more elegant way to accomplish the 한자 and 한/영 keys than giving them dedicated keys and that's to deploy them as sublegends on ALT, especially since most of our keyboards don't have 4 keys on either side of the spacebar like actual Korean keyboards do. This will eliminate the need to choose which key to leave out as well as allowing the Mac bottom row swaps to be brought back into the kit while making the kit a bit trimmer overall.

I've updated the base kit render below. Keyboard render updates will come later.

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 16:29:38 by Fredington »

Offline tofulo

Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Update regarding the 한자 and 한/영 keys
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 12:34:42 »
I am loving these blue accents!

Offline PoohGom

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 01:05:07 »
After some thought, I realized there's a more elegant way to accomplish the 한자 and 한/영 keys than giving them dedicated keys and that's to deploy them as sublegends on ALT, especially since most of our keyboards don't have 4 keys on either side of the spacebar like actual Korean keyboards do. This will eliminate the need to choose which key to leave out as well as allowing the Mac bottom row swaps to be brought back into the kit while making the kit a bit trimmer overall.

I've updated the base kit render below. Keyboard render updates will come later.

Show Image

I honestly liked the old version better when it was just the 한자 and 한/영, to me the new version seems a bit to cluttered. Maybe just the 한자 and 한/영 keys can be in the Korean only alphas kit? I still like the set regardless.

Offline dbjowett

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 02:57:44 »

Show Image

I honestly liked the old version better when it was just the 한자 and 한/영, to me the new version seems a bit to cluttered. Maybe just the 한자 and 한/영 keys can be in the Korean only alphas kit? I still like the set regardless.

I 100% agree with this.

Offline cptbubbles

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 07:29:13 »
Love how this set is developing over the course of the IC.

I would like to add to the comments regarding 한/영 and 한자 keys though.

In most Korean keyboard layouts 한/영 and 한자 replace right alt and right ctrl rather than be placed on the opposite sides of each other.
I'm sure a layout like the current state of the kit does exist but I've yet to see one in person.

Attaching image of how Leopold does it:

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 08:23:36 »
Love how this set is developing over the course of the IC.

I would like to add to the comments regarding 한/영 and 한자 keys though.

In most Korean keyboard layouts 한/영 and 한자 replace right alt and right ctrl rather than be placed on the opposite sides of each other.
I'm sure a layout like the current state of the kit does exist but I've yet to see one in person.

Attaching image of how Leopold does it:

Show Image

Thanks for the image! I've actually been looking at more mainstream membranes from Samsung and QSENN and older keyboards like this guy:

This is the most common layout that I've seen, but perhaps the Leopold is a more modern way of doing it. I think I prefer the more symmetrical version like I have it now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 08:31:57 by Fredington »

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:02:15 »
Yah, I also like the current implementation much better!  :thumb:

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:01:30 »
I like the set, but the name reminds me more of Manchester United than the Korean team

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 13:59:59 »
I like the set, but the name reminds me more of Manchester United than the Korean team

Awww sh** here we go again :(

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:49:49 »
This is the most common layout that I've seen, but perhaps the Leopold is a more modern way of doing it. I think I prefer the more symmetrical version like I have it now.
It's about functionality, though. When you type in Korean, what do you use to switch to Hangul? What do you use to switch to Hanja?
The typical Windows commands are Shift+Left Alt to switch keyboard language, Right Alt to switch from Romanized letters to Hangul, and Right Control to switch to Hanja.

Please reconsider putting the 한자 sublegend on Control.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 11:39:51 »
It's about functionality, though. When you type in Korean, what do you use to switch to Hangul? What do you use to switch to Hanja?
The typical Windows commands are Shift+Left Alt to switch keyboard language, Right Alt to switch from Romanized letters to Hangul, and Right Control to switch to Hanja.

Please reconsider putting the 한자 sublegend on Control.

Ah, see I didn't know about those shortcuts, partly because I'm on OS X and use the menu bar to switch inputs like a boomer. CTRL it is:

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 12:03:33 »
Ah, see I didn't know about those shortcuts, partly because I'm on OS X and use the menu bar to switch inputs like a boomer. CTRL it is:

Thank you!

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 12:25:04 »
Actually, something else occurred to me after moving 한자 to CTRL...if you're using the mono Hangul kit, is the assumption that you're typing mostly in Korean and therefore have little use for 한/영? If so, would you guys prefer a set of clean ALTs in the Hangul kit like below?

Offline PoohGom

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:21:30 »
Actually, something else occurred to me after moving 한자 to CTRL...if you're using the mono Hangul kit, is the assumption that you're typing mostly in Korean and therefore have little use for 한/영? If so, would you guys prefer a set of clean ALTs in the Hangul kit like below?

Show Image

I'd much rather have the Hangul kit be a full alpha's kit with numbers and other punctuation keys so that I can use it with another set of mods.

Offline Blvck.-

Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Query about 한/영 and Hangul kit
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 19:18:30 »
Any eta on GB yet?

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 19:34:58 »
Any eta on GB yet?

I think the ETA is still September 2020?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 10:05:16 »
I always recommend including basic 4-key ISO support in the base kit. But even you decide to keep the ISO keys in a child kit, please consider using the more appropriate R3 \|₩, R4 <> combination instead of R3 #~, R4 \|₩. For an example, take a look at GMK Blink, another recent set that uses Hangul sublegends. Take a look at these posts for an explanation on why I consider these keys to be more useful/appropriate, as well as some relevant usage data. I believe this is pertinent for a set like this, since Korean keyboards always have the \|₩ key adjacent to Enter.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 15:44:38 »

Show Image

I'd much rather have the Hangul kit be a full alpha's kit with numbers and other punctuation keys so that I can use it with another set of mods.

That won't happen, sorry.

I always recommend including basic 4-key ISO support in the base kit. But even you decide to keep the ISO keys in a child kit, please consider using the more appropriate R3 \|₩, R4 <> combination instead of R3 #~, R4 \|₩. For an example, take a look at GMK Blink, another recent set that uses Hangul sublegends. Take a look at these posts for an explanation on why I consider these keys to be more useful/appropriate, as well as some relevant usage data. I believe this is pertinent for a set like this, since Korean keyboards always have the \|₩ key adjacent to Enter.

Yes, it's my intention to change the ISO keys to terminal style as you've described.

In other news, the RAMA cap will be unveiled soon. A Salvun cap is in the works, as well.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - GB in September
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 06:24:32 »
As promised, here is the RAMA cap:

Offline tofulo

Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - GB in September - RAMA Cap Added
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 12:07:09 »
Damn that rama cap looks amazing

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Salvun Cap & Kit Changes Due to Pricing
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 11:18:51 »
Hi all,

I have some good news and some bad news, so first, the good news:

Below is an illustration of the Salvun cap while we wait for him to make samples. It will be copper with black cerakote:

Now for the bad news:

We got first round pricing back from GMK and it came in a bit higher than expected. The Numpad+ISO kit was the worst offender and the vendors and I highly doubt it will make MOQ in its current form. In order to achieve the best balance of price and compatibility, we're proposing to make the following changes:

- Integrate numpad and ISO into the Base kit
- Change ISO legends to terminal-style (# of keys remains the same)
- Drop Mac bottom row swaps
- Move Alice support and 6u spacebars into a separate Spacebars kit
- Drop the 40s kit (unfortunately, interest for this was pretty low, especially since Alice support was originally provided in the Base kit and now will be present in the Spacebars kit)
- Taegukgi kit remains unchanged

Please use this new form to provide feedback!

Below is how the new kits will look:

My sincerest apologies to those looking forward to the previous kits. I was really excited about them myself, but like I said I think this new structure will service the greatest number of people for the best overall price.

If you made it this far, thank you for sticking with us!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 11:21:14 by Fredington »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 18:52:07 »
New kits look great. Terminal gang! Consider including 1.25c space (and maybe 1c too) in the spacebars kit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 22:30:33 by konstantin »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 20:24:38 »
...and including 1.25c space (and maybe 1c too) in the spacebars kit.

Are those useful outside a 40s kit?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 21:28:24 »

Yes. 1.25c is useful for common split spacebar configurations (2.75–1.25–2.25 and 2.25–1.25–2.75), as well as Alice layouts (2–1.25 left space); and 1c is also useful for Alice layouts (2.25–1 left space).

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 22:55:10 »
...and including 1.25c space (and maybe 1c too) in the spacebars kit.

Keebio's Sinc and Quefrency both can use a 1.25u space too.

Offline itsslim

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 23:11:27 »
September can’t come soon enough

Offline frankfrankfrank

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 18:22:05 »
Really stoked for this, thanks for the update

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 13:01:42 »
Can't wait to buy! my wallet is ready!

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Deskmat Poll
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:34:21 »
Hi all,

Due to the likelihood of a white deskmat getting dirty very easily, I've decided to change the colors around a bit and want to put the below two colorways to a vote:

Red

Black

Please vote here.

In other news, we are finalizing the kits, getting updated renders, and an additional RAMA cap will soon be revealed.

Offline itsbeard

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 14:35:01 »
Both look great! I'm happy with either winning, good call on pulling white.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 23:23:01 »

Yes. 1.25c is useful for common split spacebar configurations (2.75–1.25–2.25 and 2.25–1.25–2.75), as well as Alice layouts (2–1.25 left space); and 1c is also useful for Alice layouts (2.25–1 left space).

Alice layout left space is 2u or 2.25u. The only R4 1.75u key on the layout is split right shift.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 19:42:51 »

Alice layout left space is 2u or 2.25u. The only R4 1.75u key on the layout is split right shift.

Correct, that's in line with what I said. I did not mention any R4 1.75u keys.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:26:59 »

Correct, that's in line with what I said. I did not mention any R4 1.75u keys.

ah! my bad. You meant for the 1.25u key to the right of the 2.25u spacebar key?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:39:20 »
ah! my bad. You meant for the 1.25u key to the right of the 2.25u spacebar key?

I was saying that 1.25u and 1u convex keys would be nice to have as they would allow Alice users to cover both of the possible left spacebar layouts with all convex keys (2.25c + 1c or 2c + 1.25c) :) In addition to this, 1.25c is useful for other stuff as well, as previously mentioned.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
Re: [IC] GMK Red Devils - Final Kits & RAMA Poll
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:32:56 »
Hi all,

Thank you for your patience. Kits have been finalized and we are awaiting quotes from GMK, as well as updated keyboard renders.

Kits

Changelog:
- Changed R3 1.75u Control text to icon for more consistent look with lefthand mods
- Changed F-row Lock to Scroll
- Removed 00 key since standalone numpads are pretty rare overall
- Removed 2nd Tab and extra ALT keys from Hangul kit to keep cost down
- Hangul kit legend size/weight have been revised to be more in line with cherry standards
- Added 1u and 1.25u blanks to Spacebars kit, as well as a 2nd mono ㅠ key

Deskmat

The deskmat poll was overwhelmingly in favor of the black background (4:1), so that's what we'll be moving forward with. However, I found myself missing the white, so I've added the trigrams which I think gives it that much needed finishing touch.

Salvun Artisan

I realized that a copper artisan might get a bit lost with an all red set, so I've changed the base metal to aluminum for maximum visibility. The black will be anodized. Thanks to konstantin for pointing this out. Again, below is a placeholder image which will be replaced once Salvun provides a photograph of the actual sample!

Additional RAMA Artisan & Poll - Taeguk

And for the final piece of news, I submitted two designs for a 2nd RAMA artisan and I'm having trouble deciding between the two, so I'm running another poll. Please go here to vote for your preference between the two options below:

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2020, 19:49:14 by Fredington »

Offline Blvck.-

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 16:48:55 »
Everything looks amazing, this is the only gmk set I'm waiting on keep up the good work.  :thumb:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:12:39 »
Great update :thumb: