geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

[BUILD] Magic Keyboard 2 but mechanical

<< < (6/7) > >>

saintlouisbagels:
I randomly remembered your Post on LTT Forums and decided to make an account here to express my support of this huge undertaking of such an interesting project! I love mechanical keyboards and Apple's Magic Keyboard, so seeing someone trying to marry the two is such a damn cool concept!

Limentic:

--- Quote from: matthewfcarlson on Tue, 06 February 2024, 16:58:09 ---Howdy Limentic! I registered to be able to comment! I've been working on a mechanical magic keyboard since May 2022 (yeah I know I'm slow). I'm slowly working on a write-up, but I should have been releasing incremental updates as you've done! I searched again on a whim (since nothing came up in 2022), and your post came up. The dedication to scan the matrix and hand-label it is nuts! I created a PCB with several mux chips (CD74H) so I can just scan the matrix while I press each key. I used a full-sized one as a few others have done, but I'm using Gateron low-profile switches to try and keep it similar to the trackpad I have at work. I intend to have the numpad detachable and able to clip to either side with magnets and pogo pins, but I think I'm still a ways off.

Anyway- long way of saying awesome job and thank you!

--- End quote ---
Thanks Matthew, scanning the matrix using mux chips is also a good approach to the problem, but because I'm kinda broke, cheap, and I don't value my time ;D The hand-labeling process of the matrix seemed like a good idea at the time! (And I am very proud of the beautiful wallpaper I've created in the meantime :))

Good luck with your keyboard; I even think you will be done before me :D
Doing a Masters in EE and working on side projects don't mix very well, lol (who knew, right?)

--- Quote from: saintlouisbagels on Sun, 19 May 2024, 20:50:41 ---I randomly remembered your Post on LTT Forums and decided to make an account here to express my support for this huge undertaking of such an interesting project! I love mechanical keyboards and Apple's Magic Keyboard, so seeing someone trying to marry the two is such a damn cool concept!

--- End quote ---

Thanks, man, for taking the time to make an account just to post on here (thanks Matthew for that as well) just to show support! It's nuts for me to see this niche project getting so much attraction; I am so grateful for that.

I wanted to reply to both of you guys, to first, reply to you, but to show that this project isn't dead, and I really want to finish it, but the only thing I lack is time, really. Sometimes, you wish you were a YouTuber, right?

The One:
Can't wait to see more updates!! :thumb:

nbredia:
Commenting on this so I can come back to it. The amount of effort you have put in is truly amazing. Do you think it would be possible to use less keys? (40% for example)

Numbuh:

--- Quote from: nbredia on Mon, 27 May 2024, 17:27:44 ---Commenting on this so I can come back to it. The amount of effort you have put in is truly amazing. Do you think it would be possible to use less keys? (40% for example)

--- End quote ---
It can be don with ease. You just create matrix for keys you need. All you cans do is map key behavior 1:1 and create custom layout

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version