Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4179862 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #28200 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 11:29:35 »
How can protein bars taste so horrible? They have come so far from the '90s Cliff Bar hard cardboard bricks to being made with all natural fresh fruit and nuts, and yet somehow they still manage to make protein bars a complete chore to choke down. It is like they are making them taste terrible on purpose despite the ingredients, I really don't understand it.

What kind of protein bar was it? There are lots of good ones out there.

Gotta stick to veggie proteins,  if it's whey protein (milk derivative), it's full of hormones/antibiotics, can cause man-bewbage and of course accelerate cancer growth/ mobility.

Lol. Just stop. No one asked.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28201 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 12:04:10 »

It's like earth day, recycling, climate change, whole food plant based, all these decisions are inter-related,  and we have to be aware of the whole thing, to solve the whole problem.

The end is near.. !! It may be an uncomfortable conversation, but like today, covid is far more uncomfortable.

Covid, is also the result of animal agriculture..

Someone somewhere kissed a duck or ate it, and we got the flu.
Cafo Hog farming gave us swine flu.
_preliminary research indicates, Pangolin market gave us Covid.
Camels gave us smallpox
Chickens gave us typhoid

The list is endless. all major pandemics are Zoonotic (leaped from animals).

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #28202 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 12:08:46 »

It's like earth day, recycling, climate change, whole food plant based, all these decisions are inter-related,  and we have to be aware of the whole thing, to solve the whole problem.

The end is near.. !! It may be an uncomfortable conversation, but like today, covid is far more uncomfortable.

Covid, is also the result of animal agriculture..

Someone somewhere kissed a duck or ate it, and we got the flu.
Cafo farming gave us swine flu.
_preliminary research indicates, Pangolin market gave us Covid.

Regardless of if it's important or not, my point is that by bringing it up in a random comment will typically only get people to completely disregard you. No one wants to hear your soap box **** unless they ask for it or join a purpose driven dialogue around it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28203 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 12:11:32 »

Regardless of if it's important or not, my point is that by bringing it up in a random comment will typically only get people to completely disregard you. No one wants to hear your soap box **** unless they ask for it or join a purpose driven dialogue around it.

I don't disagree that there is aversion to inconvenient awareness.

But, it must be done.  Some guy, any guy has to hold up the sign.  He may not get credit, he may not be loved, it is what it is.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28204 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 19:52:58 »
How can protein bars taste so horrible? They have come so far from the '90s Cliff Bar hard cardboard bricks to being made with all natural fresh fruit and nuts, and yet somehow they still manage to make protein bars a complete chore to choke down. It is like they are making them taste terrible on purpose despite the ingredients, I really don't understand it.

any brand. they all taste the same.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #28205 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 20:07:38 »

any brand. they all taste the same.

That's far from true. Costco's protein bars are good. Quest protein bars are good too. Clif Protein bars taste good too

Offline jamster

« Reply #28206 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 21:15:59 »
Myoplex chocolate based bars taste pretty good. Most protein bars do taste remarkably bad though.

I generally stopped with the protein supplement thing about five years ago, decided that it's just a massively overblown idea with exercise that's not required by most people. I'll only take it again if I get past a certainly training goal, and by that point just raw calories is probably more important to me anyway.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #28207 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 22:52:01 »
Myoplex chocolate based bars taste pretty good. Most protein bars do taste remarkably bad though.

I generally stopped with the protein supplement thing about five years ago, decided that it's just a massively overblown idea with exercise that's not required by most people. I'll only take it again if I get past a certainly training goal, and by that point just raw calories is probably more important to me anyway.

so many of them also have crazy amounts of sugar
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jamster

« Reply #28208 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 00:27:10 »
You know that thing where right when you are about to leave the house you suddenly need to poop real bad? That's your body telling you never to go outside.

I actually get that right before I'm supposed to go to the gym.
It's better to lift with empty bowels, isn't it.

Lol, yes, sharting while squatting is not fun.
Rough personal experience?

Lol, yes, I think anyone who has been lifting heavy for a while has experienced this. There's a big stiff belt squeezing your guts while you clench your abs with full lungs and squat. It's inevitable at some point. The important thing is to accept it and not let it startle you. The first time I tooted while squatting at a public gym I was surprised and embarrassed, which caused me to lose tension in my abs and fail the rep. I can't remember if I hurt myself too. So many people have headphones in that it's unlikely someone would hear anyway. Smelling may be another story. I have a home gym now, so I can poop my pants while squatting in the privacy of my own home.

That brings me to thing that's bothering me. I'm tired of my biology holding me back from getting anything done. "Oh, I'm hungry," "I need to use the toilet," "I'm thirsty," "I'm tired," "I don't feel well," "It hurts when I do this," "I don't feel like it." Every day just feels like satisfying my body's needs while trying to squeeze little bits of real things in-between.

I guess that a home gym allows the luxury of squatting in nothing more than adult diapers  :)

Offline yui

« Reply #28209 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 13:34:19 »
my grandmother dies of covid yesterday and my father and sister are already bickering about inheritance, sometimes i really hate my family... and i am stuck here having my covid fear proven being even more scared for everyone around me... this year was a total ****show...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #28210 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 14:02:43 »
my grandmother dies of covid yesterday and my father and sister are already bickering about inheritance, sometimes i really hate my family... and i am stuck here having my covid fear proven being even more scared for everyone around me... this year was a total ****show...

I'm sorry for your loss. That happened when my grandmother passed. Definitely best to avoid the crossfire as much as possible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28211 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 15:11:42 »

Sorry for your loss Yui.  /Sending you calm internet waves.

Offline Alga

« Reply #28212 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 04:46:36 »

Sorry for your loss. Just keep calm and carry on sister. Things will improve eventually.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28213 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 10:54:29 »
Unbelievably my left earphone just died.  Well actually it didn't for a change - this time it's just the cable.  The special cable that's not compatible with anything else...  The result is all too familiar and cables are never covered in the warranty, back to my bodged backup pair again!  Or not.  Apparently the filter managed to clog and my on-train "swap" test failed at the swap part.

I am bothered that the filter in my earphones failed to last 8 working days and replacements don't seem to be readily available, and if they are available and this is the usual replacement rate I have a new $30 a month habit to fund.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 11:34:55 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28214 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:34:59 »
how does a filters in headphones clogging up could prevent them from working at all, seems like rather bad design, or am i missing something?
i thought that my 50 euros earbuds every year was expensive, i guess i am not on your level :)

Offline yui

« Reply #28215 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:52:05 »
out of 22k vaccination there have been 5 death, now no one wants to get vaccinated... that is so much less chances than to die from COVID... and still more and more peoples refuse to wear the mask, or when they do it is under the nose or even worse under the chin... and my coworker now framed me as the bad guy because i tell them to wear it properly...
why the stupidity? why are peoples that stubborn to want to kill everyone around them just for their personal comfort?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28216 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 06:38:43 »
how does a filters in headphones clogging up could prevent them from working at all, seems like rather bad design, or am i missing something?
i thought that my 50 euros earbuds every year was expensive, i guess i am not on your level :)
They're tiny, the actual mesh bit is a circle maybe 1.5mm across and the edge must be glued so the hole is smaller.  Once clogged literally no sound gets through.  Better than whatever sticking on the speaker I suppose but they usually (other brands, bigger filter) last much longer so never considered the cost of replacements.

I had (have) some that still work after years of abuse including many times in a sauna but the sockets where the cable connects have become too loose over time.  I should send them to Asia to get repaired but that costs more than each of the string of supposedly comparable replacements, and obviously the replacements get to me in days not weeks.  Writing this I know what must be done and will do it!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28217 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 08:13:40 »

why the stupidity?

For those who feel powerless, they provide agency: I have the power to reject “experts”
- David Brooks, NYT 2020
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline iri

« Reply #28218 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 14:15:56 »
So I tried the 55g Topre. Feels really nice, but I can't use it due to joint pain :'(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Pandamom98

« Reply #28219 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 06:53:57 »
My work outsourced to a 3rd party company and we have about 4 new "managers" who just nag us about our call times, how long it takes us to wrap up a call and send a ticket off to another group (or if its one that we solved ourselves), and just being a micromanager about other things. They already caused up to like 10 coworkers to say F it and quit, and I know there are some others who are going to if they keep it up. They act like they're the ones paying our salary when they definitely do not.

Also I had to reschedule my doctors appointment that I have every 3 months to see how my HRT meds are doing, or if they're messing up my body. Luckily I wasn't going to ask for a dosage increase this time but I wanted to talk to my doctor about some stuff. That and I stupidly told my mom I had to reschedule and she went off on me about transitioning and why I shouldn't do it because nothing would happen and I'd be a freak.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28220 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 19:14:08 »
Today I surpassed 1000 job applications sent out over the last 15 months and still nothing

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28221 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 17:10:10 »
Migraines suck  >:D
Never ever got them in my life until about 6 years ago, now I get a crippling one that lasts 24hrs every few months.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28222 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 17:28:45 »
Migraines suck  >:D
Never ever got them in my life until about 6 years ago, now I get a crippling one that lasts 24hrs every few months.

Telln' ya NT,  it'd dat Cholesterol causing atherosclerosis of your brain's micro-vasculature.

If you think about it it's very straight forward, if cholesterol can clog giant heart arteries, it clgs your small ones only faster.

More and more evidence is suggesting that the majority of early dementia/ alzheimers/ cognitive decline/ pathologies are due to this very factor.

Based on your food photos, you're basically chugging cholesterol.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28223 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 19:19:49 »
One planning department keep rejecting all my public lighting designs. They keep referencing defunct European standards rather than current ones. They don't have any coherent specification for me to design to, like other counties. I just get two pages of requirements that change constantly and are mostly wrongheaded and irrelevant. They constantly reject the whole thing and ask I confirm again each requirement is met instead of looking to see that 90% of what they asked for is already plainly referenced multiple times across drawings, specification and design documents.

Eating moar veggies probably isn't the solution to this issue but I'm getting so desperate I'll try anything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 19:21:53 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28224 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 21:32:44 »
One planning department keep rejecting all my public lighting designs. They keep referencing defunct European standards rather than current ones. They don't have any coherent specification for me to design to, like other counties. I just get two pages of requirements that change constantly and are mostly wrongheaded and irrelevant. They constantly reject the whole thing and ask I confirm again each requirement is met instead of looking to see that 90% of what they asked for is already plainly referenced multiple times across drawings, specification and design documents.

Eating moar veggies probably isn't the solution to this issue but I'm getting so desperate I'll try anything.

You gotta find that 1 competent person in their department.

If people had to report how much veggie they be eatn' the person eating the most is likely most competent.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28225 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 03:43:56 »

Do you have to be nice or can page 1 of your submission be a list of defunct standards and their replacements?  Can you call them and ask to speak to a manager to suggest the decliner is incompetent or corrupt (reject you for no good reason, pay their cousin)

If not and you don't have the option of not doing it just put in low effort until they stop asking you (assuming you have work elsewhere...)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28226 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 08:03:07 »
Their list of requirements is built upon one I proposed to other councils 10 years ago. I've suggested writing them a new specification before but I need to be more bullish about it. They've got a very "Oh, we'll see what we think on a case by case basis" attitude.. and there are 4 or 5 different people reviewing the work on separate bases. Being organised isn't the Irish public services strong point so I have an uphill battle there. Planning is a one stop shop so you don't want to invoke their anger they could make things worse.

I'm self employed but I've got various developers/architects grumbling at me for not being able to get lighting designs through planning. If I'm working directly for the public service I submit things slowly to limit their ability ask for endless revisions. I'm definitely considering not doing work in that county or doubling my fee if I do.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #28227 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 10:11:45 »
The fact that its so damn annoying to set Gifs as profile pictures on this medieval site (or most other sites for that matter), and that high quality Gifs larger then 100kb, more then 64 colors or with more then 26 frames cannot be used. This is 2021 people, we should have flying cars, hover boards and self-tying sneakers by now, instead we have to deal with this.

I give up.

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2021, 10:13:35 by Olumin »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28228 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 10:49:10 »
Data's Sherlock Holmes impersonations were some of the absolutely worst low points of TNG (with his pet cat being another).

Note: In general Data was perhaps my favorite character on the show, and some of his attempts at being "human" such as music and acting were fairly amusing. But, of course, he was most successful at being human when he wasn't trying.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline Olumin

« Reply #28229 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 11:01:18 »
Data's Sherlock Holmes impersonations were some of the absolutely worst low points of TNG (with his pet cat being another).

It would seem that good taste is indeed as rare as latinum.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28230 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 12:20:47 »

as rare as latinum

Speaking of which, the Ferengi were the absolute nadir of TNG (and everywhere else they appeared, unless it was for the most lame and tawdry comic relief, I suppose) and the entire "holodeck" concept was also very close to the bottom, an obvious cheap and artificial ploy to be able to create and drive whole genres of unconvincing plot lines.

That is what really bothers me.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28231 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 12:36:36 »

as rare as latinum

Speaking of which, the Ferengi were the absolute nadir of TNG (and everywhere else they appeared, unless it was for the most lame and tawdry comic relief, I suppose) and the entire "holodeck" concept was also very close to the bottom, an obvious cheap and artificial ploy to be able to create and drive whole genres of unconvincing plot lines.

Personally, I would give that title to the Borg, or species 8472.  I mean, equality was a difficult concept for (most) Ferengis to understand, but they did have some redeeming qualities.  What bothers me is that the Ferengi seemed to be interested in gold during the early seasons of TNG, but in Deep Space Nine, gold was only used to transport gold pressed latinum (worthless).  Not that I don't love DS9, and maybe I missed the memo, but c'mon, this is part of the currency system.  Though on second thought, the writers could have been hinting at Quark's wealth, but still.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #28232 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 12:54:41 »

as rare as latinum

Personally, I would give that title to the Borg, or species 8472.  I mean, equality was a difficult concept for (most) Ferengis to understand, but they did have some redeeming qualities.  What bothers me is that the Ferengi seemed to be interested in gold during the early seasons of TNG, but in Deep Space Nine, gold was only used to transport gold pressed latinum (worthless).  Not that I don't love DS9, and maybe I missed the memo, but c'mon, this is part of the currency system.  Though on second thought, the writers could have been hinting at Quark's wealth, but still.

Latinum is a liquid metal. In "gold-pressed Latinum" the liquid Latinum is suspended in metallic gold. Gold itself was worthless as it could be replicated. Latinum was used as currency by many civilizations as it was scarce and could not be replicated.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28233 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 12:59:41 »

as rare as latinum

Latinum is a liquid metal. In "gold-pressed Latinum" the liquid Latinum is suspended in metallic gold. Gold itself was worthless as it could be replicated. Latinum was used as currency by many civilizations as it was scarce and could not be replicated.

Do you want me to find the exact episode and line from the episode of which I was referencing?  Because I can help you with that, it's not a problem at all.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #28234 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:00:37 »

Speaking of which, the Ferengi were the absolute nadir of TNG (and everywhere else they appeared, unless it was for the most lame and tawdry comic relief, I suppose)

The Ferengi are getting a lot more development in DS9, have you watched it?

and the entire "holodeck" concept was also very close to the bottom, an obvious cheap and artificial ploy to be able to create and drive whole genres of unconvincing plot lines.

Captain, I think this is what is commonly described in internet culture as "bait".

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28235 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:03:13 »
I guess that is what some people consider fun.  Must be a blast.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #28236 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:08:20 »

Do you want me to find the exact episode and line from the episode of which I was referencing?  Because I can help you with that, it's not a problem at all.

I think the Ferengi were saying something about gold in "The Price". Perhaps they hadn't figured out how to replicate it. By DS9 gold was no longer considered valuable. Realistically, the writers just messed up.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28237 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:10:23 »
Pass.

Offline iri

« Reply #28238 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:14:47 »
hi Csmertx
you don't bother me
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28239 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:47:59 »
hi Csmertx
you don't bother me

I swear to god, I will post another vim-go plugin hamster image.  But if you post another luxurious beverage photo I'll reconsider...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28240 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:05:44 »

but they did have some redeeming qualities.

Their impossibly ridiculous and horrible teeth made me cringe every time, no matter how many times they smiled.

But then once, can't remember where off the top of my head, when there was a Ferengi scientist who had made a truly impressive discovery - they gave him teeth that were almost normal and not repulsively ugly.

For whatever reasons, I felt particularly annoyed by that, even though it was making him look marginally more appealing.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28241 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:20:35 »

but they did have some redeeming qualities.

Their impossibly ridiculous and horrible teeth made me cringe every time, no matter how many times they smiled.

But then once, can't remember where off the top of my head, when there was a Ferengi scientist who had made a truly impressive discovery - they gave him teeth that were almost normal and not repulsively ugly.

For whatever reasons, I felt particularly annoyed by that, even though it was making him look marginally more appealing.

Ah yea, the metaphasic shield episode (Suspicions).  Of all the traits of the Ferengi, you find that their teeth are the most repugnant aspect?  I find that surprising.  The episode Ménage à Troi comes to mind...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28242 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 17:37:57 »

you find that their teeth are the most repugnant aspect?

No, just that they are so forced and contrived (plot-wise) for absolutely no plausible reason.

All the more reason to see that it was an even more contrived plot device to make them reasonable in one lone instance.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28243 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 17:48:27 »
All I know is Tribbles are trouble

Offline Olumin

« Reply #28244 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 18:20:36 »

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28245 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 21:06:45 »
Being a bit drunk and not having really watched TNG properly in 20 years I'll try distill what I liked about it. The dumb holodeck episodes were (mostly) a nice break from the regular episodes where the ship or a planet was at risk of exploding. I know a fair few ended up about the ship exploding, but still. They got to focus in on the personal relationships of the crew. I don't like how in most modern sci fi that everything seems to revolve around earth blowing up or the entire human race being wiped out. That's why The Borg were best used sparingly and something like species 8472 rendered everything totally pointless. It's the same reason I find most superhero stuff really dull as well. You need limited scope otherwise you're just retelling the same apocalypse story over and over.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2021, 21:16:50 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28246 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 21:09:27 »
Being a bit drunk and not having really watched TNG properly in 20 years I'll try distill what I liked about it. The dumb holodeck episodes were (mostly) a nice break from the regular episodes where the ship or a planet was at risk of exploding. They got to focus in on the personal relationships of the crew. I don't like how in most modern sci fi that everything seems to revolve around earth blowing up or the entire human race being wiped out. That's why The Borg were best used sparingly and something like species 8472 rendered everything totally pointless. This is why I find most superhero stuff really dull as well. You need limitations otherwise there are no stakes.

Precisely right,   The Star-Trek FEEEEL  very much came from the Diversity of topics, and the novelty in Hughhmahn developments..

This is what the new Series lack.  Sigh...  They've lost it..

Might make some romulan ale,  some argue it's just everclear w/ blue food coloring,  BUhhh have you seen the price of everclear lately ? This is the luxury it's always been .

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28247 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 21:27:02 »
I sort of lost interest in Breaking Bad in the later seasons as the scenarios got more and more power fantasy crime lord preposterous. That's why I thought Better Call Saul was a fun subversion of the formula where I'm staying up past my bedtime to torrent the new episode so I can finally find out how the elder law case concludes. Indie/art movies can be flat because their budget means they have to limit the scope to dialogue in 3 rooms so it's frustrating to see productions with a budget waste it on hundrum ****. A holodeck episode on ST was often a "bottle episode" like a stage play just to fill out the season but a nice palette cleanser all the same.

Everclear, lean and anything else associated with Southern Rap has become prohibitively expensive. In Ireland homeless people used drink Buckfast (a tonic wine, with a lot of sugar and caffeine), it got adopted by hipsters, then taxed to the point it costs twice the price of a bottle of wine so it's pretty much non existent now.

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2021, 21:33:04 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28248 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 13:34:29 »
Almost every single freaking Youtube video's thumbnail shows a person making a dumbass facial expression. Seeing your stupid, hammed-up shocked face doesn't make me want to click on your video.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28249 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 15:12:32 »
Almost every single freaking Youtube video's thumbnail shows a person making a dumbass facial expression. Seeing your stupid, hammed-up shocked face doesn't make me want to click on your video.

It's for kids,  you're no longer the target.  If you feel bad, it's cuz we've [Aged out].