Author Topic: Zowie EC EVO CL 1 and 2  (Read 39864 times)

Offline osi

Re: Zowie EC EVO CL 1 and 2
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 11:10:52 »
Recieved my replacement mouse today. From a quick use standpoint, the scrolling issue seems to be eliminated. Cannot replicate the issue with the new mouse.

The steps feel more pronounced that the previous as well. :D :D

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 01:41:40 »
got the EVO 2 today

a bit smaller than my deathadder, but i like the feel and tracking.

Its also just feels like a nice "fit" to my hand, but god the coating shows the slick/shine from your hands lol.

Also the thumb buttons on the left are a bit more back compared to the deathadder that i'm used to.
They also press in deeper.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 02:11:01 »
I used the AM and FK and have since move to the EC1 EVO both for its "deathadder-ish" shape, and because it comes with a glossy coating.

Just to chime in, the new version of the FK (2014) and EVO CL have both had issues with the coating which is unfortunate. The old FK did not used to have this problem, so probably something in the coating process has changed since then.

The scroll wheel issues with the EVO's can be replicated by turning the mouse upside down and scrolling, or pinching and lifting the mouse and scrolling. For a lot of people this will not be an issue during normal use, but it just illustrates how the wheel has enough "play" to be moved to a position where scrolling is not registered.

The Zowie's do suffer from a slight delay due to using non-native DPI values, where interpolation supposedly changes the feel on some of the settings.

Overall I feel they are still  some of the best mice on the market, but I have to admit some of these are pretty serious issues. Like any other mouse, I would only recommend them after making a potential buyer aware of these problems.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Coreda

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 07:15:00 »
Just to chime in, the new version of the FK (2014) and EVO CL have both had issues with the coating which is unfortunate. The old FK did not used to have this problem, so probably something in the coating process has changed since then.

I contacted Zowie regarding the coating peeling, and their rep told me they are aware that a percentage of the first batch of the 2014 FK has this issue. They approved my RMA request, so I'm looking forward to seeing if the replacement (presumably not from the first batch) still has this problem.

Offline osi

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:53:52 »
Tried 2 zowie ec1 eVo cl's and a an FK 2014. All three had scroll wheel issues.

No more zowie for me, back to the drawing board for a new mouse.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 19:06:30 »
that's unfortunate. I don't like the wheel on those either so I can't really say I'm all that surprised.
What about Steelseries Kana v2 or a Rival perhaps? The Rival is not toooo unlike the EC1 in shape, feels a bit different but meant to be 'ergonomic. I really liked the sensor on it too.
Kana v2 is sort of like the FK but a bit fatter/bigger, just not by a lot. this is what I personally use and while the sensor is great, it does have a bit high Lift-Off Distance.
Scroll wheel on these are much better than the Zowie, IMO. can't say if it's the best I've used, but coming from a Zowie before this one... I much prefer it the Steelseries ones.

Offline osi

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:07:35 »
Steelseries is definitely in the mix to try, especially now.

The ec1 was just big enough to not be comfortable. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it if I used one for more than 2 weeks. In the end, that worked out for the better.

The sensors in the evos were great for me--no issues there. I also loved the lift off distance because I do pick up the mouse as a die hard low sensitivity gamer. Can't speak for the FK as I only plugged it in to test the scroll wheel.

Time to take another look at vun's thread :)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:14:06 »
I just got the eVo ec1 and I'm a fanboy for life...

I can't say enough good things about this freaking thing. <3
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline osi

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:17:47 »

I wanted that feels. I'm a little jelly and unlucky it seems :]

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 21:21:38 »

I wanted that feels. I'm a little jelly and unlucky it seems :]
Sucks man! I hate to hear when people get shafted on gear, even more so when everyone else seems to be having a great honeymoon...

Steelseries does map some killer mice. The sensei raw is a fav of mine and the new rival look killer.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 07:21:56 »
I didn't actually mind the Rival's LOD, but it is a bit higher than the Zowie mice. coming from the G400s and Kana v2 recently though, it seemed fairly low to me.
the Kana v2 has a fair bit higher LOD on my pads. so if LOD is very important, I would stay away from the Kana v2 unless you get some really thick mouse feet like the Puretrak HD or are willing to do the tape-trick.
sensors are *fantastic* and the button switches are great. I thought the G400s had too light switches, and on the opposite end the Kinzu v2 Pro has too heavy switches. the Rival and Kana v2 are inbetween and I much prefer these.

for LOD and 'ergonomic shape' Rival should be a safer bet, and it's also less 'fat' than the EC1 with the way I grip it. I really liked how it felt but I just prefer something ambidextrous since I only use fingertips to aim. kinda mid-high sens player.
well, really all I should say is: do try them out if you have the chance! Rival should be first prio, it seems to me.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:44:13 »
If they made the EC1 with the FK coating in all black I would be SO happy.  I may just bite the bullet anyways and deal with the less than ideal color scheme, I really like my FK2014

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:59:43 »
the previous EC1/EC2 eVo were all black, not sure why they decided to only release the Cooller edition (CL) to be honest. I much prefer the older.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:04:28 »
If they made the EC1 with the FK coating in all black I would be SO happy.  I may just bite the bullet anyways and deal with the less than ideal color scheme, I really like my FK2014
The EC1evo comes in all black! The black and white EC1 & 2 are still available besides the CL version.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:07:10 by MJ45 »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:14:45 »
my CL version's starting to peel.
I've had it for less than a month.  Emailed Zowie but no reply back yet.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:08:03 »
my CL version's starting to peel.
I've had it for less than a month.  Emailed Zowie but no reply back yet.

Where is it starting to peel? I'm having trouble contacting them about my FK too...

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:31:21 »
Did you guys use the form thing on the zowie website?

From my experience and what I've seen on various forums it can start peeling anywhere.

If you need a direct email to Zowie (assuming you waited 2-3 business days) PM me and I'll send it to you.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 19:21:12 »

From my experience and what I've seen on various forums it can start peeling anywhere.

If you need a direct email to Zowie (assuming you waited 2-3 business days) PM me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks. It took a week for them to contact me. Is there a reason why they don't do Advanced RMAs?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 23:11:45 »

Thanks. It took a week for them to contact me. Is there a reason why they don't do Advanced RMAs?

Very few peripheral companies offer advance RMAs as part of the standard process.

Its always been you ship it to then and they send you a new one.
2-3 week process.

I know Logitech didn't when my g9x cord frayed.

Although they did just send me a replacement g240 without any fuss but that's a mouse pad.

Zowie didn't even offer when I had 2 clearly defective cl's and I had a wait a month before I could send it back in.

I think zowie definitely should advance RMA for the coating issues. Fortunately you can ship the mouse first class so its not too expensive.

Mionix doesn't either.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 April 2014, 23:14:43 by the1onewolf »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 20:52:22 »

yeah i used the forum on the site.
my peeling is to the left of the logo.
i just found it a bit unsettling a $50 dollar mouse will start peeling within 1 month of normal usage, not even heavy usage.

For all the crap razer gets about q/c, my black edition hasn't peeled even after 3+ years of usage.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 03:40:52 »
I gave in and ordered a Evo EC1 :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 07:01:34 »
Great choice, I liked mine so much I got a white EC1 evo also. The white version has a retro-old school look to it. The shiny finish also has a good grip to it. 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 13:20:31 »
Great choice, I liked mine so much I got a white EC1 evo also. The white version has a retro-old school look to it. The shiny finish also has a good grip to it.

Sweet to hear! Im so stoked for mine to come!  :cool:

Offline JackCY

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 04:35:58 »
I also did not have too much of a problem, but one of the issues is that the scroll wheel can tilt, and will sometimes not register the scroll when tilted (you should notice that the scroll wheel in general just feels very loose). Whether this is a problem for you depends on how you hold the mouse and how you scroll. There was also a bug that people have reported that if you scroll 1 up and 1 down, the scroll down is not registered somehow. However, this was addressed and fixed by Zowie. There have also been other issues reported, such as the scroll wheel sticking when pressed. I think all of this is pretty much from the same problem, that the wheel has too much "play" and is too loose within the shell, causing all sorts of problems.

But that said, like I mentioned earlier, I had little trouble using it, but I should also mention that I really do not use the scroll wheel all that much actually. I have never been a fan of using any other button on the mouse than the left and right mouse button. In an FPS for example, I will have a dedicated key on the keyboard for whichever weapon I want to switch to, rather than scrolling through my weapons.  I do recognize that the scroll wheel in the FK feels a lot better simply because it sits more secure within the mouse, with no sideways movement or "play" for a more consistent feel.

I have Zowie EC1 Evo CL and it has these issues with  the wheel :(
First it does not always register scroll up because the wheel is somehow misaligned and it clicks into position but does not scroll because it needs a tiny more rotation to register the scroll. Which means subsequent scrolling down is not registered. Hence precision of wheel, awful and unable to do 1 up down scrolls reliably.
Also as you said, I tested, the wheel can be tilted to the right and then it stops registering altogether.

WTF Zowie.
This is like the only bigger mouse on the market, what am I supposed to buy?

RMA is pointless hey? :(

How does the FK compare to EC1 size wise, grip wise?
I have big but thin hands and even EC1 could be an inch longer for me to do a proper palm grip.

The side buttons are too high compared to IE3.0, gotta move my thumb up to use them and their travel distance is bigger.
Coating is nice, doesn't slide as my old polished IE3.0, not sure the white sides are rubberized too but they do not slide either. Something I was worried about if it's coated as well as the top or not, I guess it is.

Rest seems to work alright, except having IE3.0 at 500MHz connected at the same time with EC1 at 1kHz did produce crazy frequency numbers for the Zowie, maybe they interfere or Zowie can't do 1kHz reliably or the application detects it poorly, or a glitch between the two devices.

Any other big mouse where I can place my ring finger the same way I can on IE3.0 and EC1?
Logitech never fit me at all, Razer I think neither.

I don't want any prediction or acceleration whatsoever, I will give the mouse to a cat to play with if it has it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 04:52:16 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 11:13:12 »
I'm a huge fan of the IE 3.0 inspired mice (my EC1 CL is the best mouse I've ever used), but I'm really intrigued by the FK1. The bigger size and better sensor are tugging at my wallet :-\

Offline dmbr

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 15:52:24 »
Have tried a ton of mice, and the Zowie EC2 CL won out (Roccat Kone Pure being the runner-up). Perfect weight, great tracking, tiny LOD, great buttons, great cord...the whole shebang.

Can't wait for the 3310 sensor to implemented, as I could use a smidge more DPI :)

Offline JackCY

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 06:37:58 »
I'm a huge fan of the IE 3.0 inspired mice (my EC1 CL is the best mouse I've ever used), but I'm really intrigued by the FK1. The bigger size and better sensor are tugging at my wallet :-\

Jeez, I thought the FK1 is the older one and FK2014 the newer...

So the old FK is not sold anymore, then FK2014 is the EC1 kind of mice sensor wise? And FK1 is bigger and has newer sensor?

Now if only they always listed the dimensions so I can compare.
I seriously need the biggest mouse available. 150mm length, no problem.

EC1 is smaller than IE3.0 :(
The side buttons suck, are too high and one has to change grip to press them which wasn't needed on IE3.0 and they also have longer travel than IE3.0.
Scroll wheel has a bug.

Can someone compare FK1 and EC1 at least between each other? And if you can with IE3.0 that would be nice :)

My IE3.0 works but 400DPI is too small for 1920px, coming from 1280px where 400DPI was fine. Looking for something like 600-800DPI for 1920px resolution.

The fatter on the pinky side, right side, the better. The fatter and longer in the rear the better.

Never heard of Mionix, but the Naos 7000 seems bigger, anyone can recommend or link up some reviews?
SS Rival has acceleration I think from what I read so I skipped it, also the shape is weird.

Anyone from Zowie reading this: fix your bloody scroll wheel issues and make an EC0 with side buttons lower so they can be pressed when gripping the mouse, just move them down by 3mm to get to where they are on IME3.0 or move them by 5mm for even easier reach if you want to keep that raised silly edge below them that literally prevents anyone pressing them now when they are high up. 3mm is enough, do it.

The Zowie EC1 wheel is a joke, just tried to lift it up and turn it and it stops reading the wheel rotation completely. IME3.0 works alright as long as the wheel can turn in the housing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 July 2014, 11:11:07 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 11:22:36 »
I dunno what's wrong with your particular EC1, by mine (the CL) is absolutely flawless. I love where the side buttons are, and the scroll wheel is sublime.

Anyways, here's the specs on the new FK1 vs the FK 2014:

Offline JackCY

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 12:19:20 »
EC1 buggy wheel, does not always register single wheel up because there is some misalignment.
If you pinch the wheel with finger tips or even just nails, pull it lightly even barely up and rotate it it stops to register scrolling.
EC1 has side buttons so high that if you place your thumb only as high as needed above the surface then you cannot reach the buttons, where as on IME3.0 you have an edge of thumb on them and by rocking the thumb one can click easily. EC1 also has an extra edge below the buttons, I bet someone complained that they clicked them accidentally and Zowie made the buttons way up high out of thumb reach and protected them by an extra edge.

FK1 is smaller than EC1 :(

EC1 has a different grip than IME3.0 and moving sideways results in cursor going left up and right down.
Where IME3.0 goes straight or left down, right up.

Will look into Mionix Naos 7000 because it may be way more adjustable and able to correct these things via settings.
Also slightly bigger in some parts, no idea if fatter.

Edit: And I suspect a lag on the EC1 @ 450dpi, might be on 1150dpi too.

Just gamed on 2300dpi with adjusted windows setting and it seemed ok, only more sensitive because 575dpi vs 400dpi that I'm used to from IME3.0, the 450dpi setting of Zowie was ok but got a bit of suspicion for tiny lag.

And had to change my hold so I can get to the side buttons, it's definitely less fat on the right side than IME3.0. It's like a baby version of IME3.0, even the EC1.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 July 2014, 18:32:25 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline dmbr

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 20:01:23 »
The CL versions of the EC's have great scroll wheels.

Offline stakiman

• Be the change you want to see in the world.
    • Psistorm.eu
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 01:15:40 »
Zowie is amazing!

The Celeritas (their keyboard) is pretty well done and good.
Zowie MiCO is the mouse i've been using for the past year and I can't wait for tomorrow when I'll pick up another MiCO as my old one broke.

Zowie = amazingness. ^^;
SC2 top GM / CS:GO GOD / IT Specialist / HD x264 entusiast.

Offline JackCY

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 06:39:43 »
I like the higher scroll wheel step count, but the wheel issue is not rare you can read about it here as well.
The coating is something I'm waiting for it to peel off or not but it's going back on Monday anyway.

stakiman??? That's quite an irony how can a mouse be good if it breaks after a year?
I got my IME3.0 for over 7 years and it still works and I gamed back then a lot. Sure switches give up but with a little maintenance it still works fine.

Zowie may strive for perfection but is still far from it.

This OMG Zowie is amazing is misleading. The DPI settings are quite poor too, only 3 settings and lower two seems to be interpolated with a small lag. One is stuck with windows mouse speed setting that does not offer much adjustment.

Even the size of EC1 is for regular small hands.

I don't really get the praise Zowie gets, good mouse yes, but with many flaws and manufacturing issues.
QFR red

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 07:13:45 »
I like the higher scroll wheel step count, but the wheel issue is not rare you can read about it here as well.
The coating is something I'm waiting for it to peel off or not but it's going back on Monday anyway.

stakiman??? That's quite an irony how can a mouse be good if it breaks after a year?
I got my IME3.0 for over 7 years and it still works and I gamed back then a lot. Sure switches give up but with a little maintenance it still works fine.

This OMG Zowie is amazing is misleading. The DPI settings are quite poor too, only 3 settings and lower two seems to be interpolated with a small lag. One is stuck with windows mouse speed setting that does not offer much adjustment.

I don't really get the praise Zowie gets, good mouse yes, but with many flaws and manufacturing issues.

I got an ASUS motherboard that was DOA, does that mean that all ASUS motherboards are trash?  All manufacturing tends to produce a low percentage of defects, regardless of how "perfect" their assembly line may be.  No mouse is without flaws.  You make far too many generalizations from one bad experience.  The coating has been a problem for the CL version, but I'm pretty sure they'll let you return it if it starts peeling.

You complain that it's too small, but you could have checked the dimensions before buying and saved yourself the hassle.  Unfortunately, there is no "one-size-fits-all" mouse out there.

I can't think of a single instance where I would need to lift the scroll wheel while turning it.  It sounds like you wanted to dislike the mouse from the get-go, so I'm a little confused why you got it in the first place.

My personal experiences with Zowie have been positive.  I really like my EC2 evo (though admittedly I have smaller hands), much more so than the several iterations of deathadders, mionix naos 3200, and kone pure optical.  No dealing with silly firmware, just plug it in and go, with built-in options to change polling/dpi.  The DPI settings IMO are fine; absurdly high dpi options feel like such a gimmick.  450/1150 dpi work just fine for me for css/csgo surf on 2560x1440 res (which do tend to require rather high precision).  Just like with keyboards, you just have to do your research and eventually you will find "the one" for you, though some things you just have to experience first-hand. 

That said, a few years back when i used the NAOS,  the 64-bit firmware was incredibly buggy, and would crash without fail whenever I tried to change anything.  I do hope that it has been fixed over the years.  The rest on the right side for the ring and pinky fingers was pretty comfortable, though.

I hope you can find your dream mouse soon  :)

Offline osi

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 08:20:44 »

I got an ASUS motherboard that was DOA, does that mean that all ASUS motherboards are trash?  All manufacturing tends to produce a low percentage of defects, regardless of how "perfect" their assembly line may be.  No mouse is without flaws.  You make far too many generalizations from one bad experience.  The coating has been a problem for the CL version, but I'm pretty sure they'll let you return it if it starts peeling.

You complain that it's too small, but you could have checked the dimensions before buying and saved yourself the hassle.  Unfortunately, there is no "one-size-fits-all" mouse out there.

I can't think of a single instance where I would need to lift the scroll wheel while turning it.  It sounds like you wanted to dislike the mouse from the get-go, so I'm a little confused why you got it in the first place.

My personal experiences with Zowie have been positive.  I really like my EC2 evo (though admittedly I have smaller hands), much more so than the several iterations of deathadders, mionix naos 3200, and kone pure optical.  No dealing with silly firmware, just plug it in and go, with built-in options to change polling/dpi.  The DPI settings IMO are fine; absurdly high dpi options feel like such a gimmick.  450/1150 dpi work just fine for me for css/csgo surf on 2560x1440 res (which do tend to require rather high precision).  Just like with keyboards, you just have to do your research and eventually you will find "the one" for you, though some things you just have to experience first-hand. 

That said, a few years back when i used the NAOS,  the 64-bit firmware was incredibly buggy, and would crash without fail whenever I tried to change anything.  I do hope that it has been fixed over the years.  The rest on the right side for the ring and pinky fingers was pretty comfortable, though.

I hope you can find your dream mouse soon  :)

Before I tried my zowie mice, I read somewhere that zowie was a 'third tier' operation. I didn't want to believe it.

After I sent back 3 of their mice for bad scroll wheels, my opinion is now that zowie is indeed a third tier shop. It's 2014....I thought something as basic as a scroll wheel would function correctly.

I'm still envious of you guys that have no scroll issues  :mad:

Offline JackCY

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:37:25 »
trizkut: I'm critical of things that cost a lot of money. Since EC1 costs double what IME3.0 did years ago I do expect EC1 to be at least 1.5x better, as in no scroll wheel issue as IME3.0 has, better coating, ...
Now the wheel is worse than IME3.0 and not only on my mouse...
Already wrote to Zowie and waiting for their reply on the wheel issue as it seems clearly to be a design or manufacturing mold issue. If that is confirmed I am not getting another one just to be part of a lottery.

Dimensions are similar to IME3.0 and the mouse is very often recommended as a replacement for IME3.0 but it is in fact considerably smaller.

450dpi worked fine for me now, so I guess no lags there.

No idea what tier Zowie is at haha. I don't have an issue with software that adds more functionality, I plug it in and it stays connected. And even if one was going between more computers, there sure is time to setup your PC and settings, one has to patch or otherwise disable windows acceleration anyway. Of course if drivers or software is buggy, that is a big issue.
QFR red

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 14:12:52 »
Not entirely certain why you're having the issues you are, but my experience has been 180 degrees from yours.

I have had many IME 3.0s over the years, and my EC1 is better or equal in every way except for one: form-factor (AFAIAC THE IE 3.0 is the perfect shape/size for a mouse). Everything else about my CL1 is as good or better: the button clicks, the scroll wheel, the side buttons, the cable. So far the sensor is on par (hard to actually beat a perfect sensor).

Offline osi

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 14:52:10 »
No idea what tier Zowie is at haha. I don't have an issue with software that adds more functionality...

Third tier as in not first or second in terms of quality. No softare issues--all hardware problems on each unit I tried. It is simply infuriating to turn a scroll wheel and see no results.

The 5+ year old death adder in my hand hasn't skipped a beat in that department yet.

I would be singing a COMPLETELY different tune if I got a good unit from the getgo. I loved it otherwise and still would have it today. oh well

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 15:02:45 »
No idea what tier Zowie is at haha. I don't have an issue with software that adds more functionality...

Third tier as in not first or second in terms of quality. No softare issues--all hardware problems on each unit I tried. It is simply infuriating to turn a scroll wheel and see no results.

The 5+ year old death adder in my hand hasn't skipped a beat in that department yet.

I would be singing a COMPLETELY different tune if I got a good unit from the getgo. I loved it otherwise and still would have it today. oh well

You've had great luck with your deathadder.  My first one lasted 2 years; then I went through 3 in the span of a year.

Offline osi

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 15:55:05 »

You've had great luck with your deathadder.  My first one lasted 2 years; then I went through 3 in the span of a year.

The DA has been good thankfully. The side buttons are still crisp enough but my left mouse click likes to doubletap occasionally. Thasss why I'm looking now

Offline JackCY

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 18:00:24 »
The DA has been good thankfully. The side buttons are still crisp enough but my left mouse click likes to doubletap occasionally. Thasss why I'm looking now

It has Omrons right? Like IME3.0 does. I've swapped the main switches of my IME3.0 when they started acting up, replaced them later when it started to happen again. The original switches weren't made anymore so I got the newer Omrons that are now in all the mice. They suffer the same fate though as the older type.
I have an application of my own and a way to detect if it double clicks again or not when I suspect it.

Here is how to fix it easily and it worked well for me. I think the spring in the switch gets weaker so the harder Huano in Zowie might hold up better.
Since it gets weak it starts to bounce and the contact is poor.
I can't do a thing about the springs but I have this contact spray, very old, you can get it in electronics shops (Radio shack or who knows how it's called in US, shop that sells electronic parts and tools), it's for restoring oxidized contacts or something, a little oily maybe.

Disassemble the mouse, get to the switches, now take this contact spray hopefully it has a tiny tube, put it on, press a  switch down with the end of the tiny tube and press the spray to release it's content, it will get into the switch. Now click the switch in all it's travel, all the way down, click a few times so the stuff gets in.
Repeat for remaining switches.

Result: I no longer replace the Omrons  ;D

All you can lose is a already "dead" mouse anyway. It works for my Omron switches though, no double clicking anymore. It should work or help any switch.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 18:03:54 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:04:16 »
I'm surprised you all don't have more issues with the two thumb buttons; the game cafe I frequent here exclusively uses EC2/EC1s and the thumb button is usually the second thing to go after the finish starts to peel. Great shape/ censor though, the thing sell like crazy.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:28:50 »
Welp... found a spot on the back near the Zowie logo that had rubbed off. Looks like mine's not immune :(

Offline rflux

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:47:22 »
The CL versions of the EC's have great scroll wheels.

Not true.  I've had two units of the EC1 eVo CL and both had defective scroll wheels as well as defective sensors.  (It would stop tracking with fast side-to-side swipes)

Before I tried my zowie mice, I read somewhere that zowie was a 'third tier' operation. I didn't want to believe it.

After I sent back 3 of their mice for bad scroll wheels, my opinion is now that zowie is indeed a third tier shop. It's 2014....I thought something as basic as a scroll wheel would function correctly.

I'm still envious of you guys that have no scroll issues  :mad:

I'm in the same boat as you.  Two defective EC1's in a row.  I will not be RMA'ing a third time because I am certain I am throwing my money in the trash for shipping.  I will never support or endorse Zowie products.  Sure, many people are receiving functional products, but the percentage of people that AREN'T is far too high.  It's absurd.

Offline JackCY

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 03:02:54 »
Thx for the remind still gotta yell at the shop again so they give me address where to send the EC1, it's all packed in a box, waiting. Cancel the FK1 probably and send back the EC1 and get cash back, they don't seem to be interested in exchange for FK1. Screw it then. FK1 is small anyway.
QFR red

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:09:12 »
I'm way too lazy to go back through this thread but holyfreakincrap this white EC2 gets SO dirty, unlike anything I've ever seen. It just collects dirt, also the slippery surface is definitely NOT ideal, no warranty based on this issue as expected. I'm about to paint the damn thing.

Black EC1 has been great so far, no peeling issue and I'm pretty sure it's one of the older ones.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:46:17 »
I love my EC1. Only thing I think I would do different is get the newer model with faster scroll wheel.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:07:46 »
I'm way too lazy to go back through this thread but holyfreakincrap this white EC2 gets SO dirty, unlike anything I've ever seen. It just collects dirt, also the slippery surface is definitely NOT ideal, no warranty based on this issue as expected. I'm about to paint the damn thing.

Black EC1 has been great so far, no peeling issue and I'm pretty sure it's one of the older ones.

I also have the white glossy EC1 evo. I understand that the coating is not for everyone, but personally I might love it more than any other coating. Glossy coatings somehow just work for me. The best thing I can say about it is that I do not think about the coating when using the mouse.

I do not really have any issues with dirt. Though if you do have any dirt on your desk or hands, it will immediately show up on the pristine white coating.

I ended up using the EC1 as my main mouse, which is surprising. I used to be a WMO user and only really seriously considered other light, small and ambidextrous mice. But the EC1 shape just works for me. I think the reason why I like it where I did not like other ergonomic mice (like the deathadder, which is very similar) just comes down to the weight of the mouse.

The scrolling wheel issues with the EC1 are easy to replicate. Just keeping the mouse upside down, or pinching the wheel and pulling it up will make it so that scrolling is not registered. Under normal circumstances though, the scroll wheel has not once given my any issue. Even though it is criticized a lot (though often by people who only heard the EC evo series have bad scroll wheels) it actually ended up being a scroll wheel that I quite like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:11:32 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0