Author Topic: Where to start with DIY artisan keycaps  (Read 3290 times)

Offline paulkemp

Where to start with DIY artisan keycaps
« on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:37:48 »
Where to start with DIY artisan keycaps.

Hi all. I am new to this scene, currently awaiting a Varmilio VA88m iso-nordic that hopefully will arrive tomorrow. I am however, very eager to start threading the waters with making my own keycaps. Not professionally or anything like that, but just for friends and family use. I have painted miniatures before, and painting keycaps would just be an addition to this hobby.

I have access to a 3d printer at work, a Prusa. This printer however, seems to struggle with 3d printing the fine details of the stem of the keys. The + if you will, beneeth the key cap, that connects. It is just too fine details for this printer to be successful. I have tried some prints, but it does not seem to be of high enough quality.

One thing that I could do, is get normal off the shelf keycaps, and print or sculpt, out small objects, then glue them to the top. This would work.

Another thing could be try to sculpt a MX key fully, by using one key to make a mold. Then I could use transparent (see through) epoxy to make an artisan key, and with trial and error, maybe make something inside the key. The mold however, i guess would be sloppy if done by myself. But this is worth considering.

Does anyone have any tips or pointers to where to start?

Offline paulkemp

Re: Where to start with DIY artisan keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:08:51 »
I think this looks like a pretty impressive starter mold set.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/theglyph-s-shop