Author Topic: [IC] GMK Freeport (Palette converted to RAL)  (Read 18348 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
[IC] GMK Freeport (Palette converted to RAL)
« on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 11:42:58 »

a.k.a. GMK Maine a.k.a. L.L.Gmk
235121-1235123-2
235062-3
I'd like to thank Kingk22 for helping out with some dope renders! Wonderful to work with and good at what he does!
Website | Geekhack Thread
More renders here:
More
235124-4
235126-5
235066-6
235068-7

L.L.Bean is dope, and I love most of their colorways and brand feel. One of the more iconic
parts of their lineup is obviously the Bean Boot. The base set colors are based on the bean
boot colors, and then accented in other colors the brand is known for using, so lighter greens
and maroon.

Changed the name recently to Freeport as a suggestion from the comments. It seems appropriate
being the town where L.L.Bean was founded. In addition to that, this set seems to be one that
calls out to the Maine-iacs in our midst.

Going for a color feel similar to the brand itself. Leather, dark dark olive green, light brown
accents, and posibly a bit of yellow in a few things.

I think of paintings like this when I think of the brand:
235064-10

Novelty wise I think all kinds of things would fit. Hiking imagery, branding
callbacks altered for the set, wildlife, log cabins, camping. Really a lot of possibilities here,
and would love any feedback or ideas those interested in the set would like! I will be working on
some of these over the next few weeks as well, and will post here as I do.

Color Palette:

A quick note on the mod color labeled "RAL 790-M"; It may almost look
black, but I assure you it has just a touch of green, to match the bean boot rubber.

The above base set is not what I plan to be the final base kit, or final available/offered kits, It's simply a render I had made to present the color concept, and see how to community felt about another beautifully ugly set idea I recently had. The IC will be edited and updated as I have more ideas, get more feedback, and create more items for the thread. I'm hoping that posting early will promote more input from people interested, so that a final design might be a better offer overall.

Also this set will feature a "Pwade Eats Jeans" cap.

IC Form

Support:
More

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104512.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/XWOz9JR.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:30:43 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline Zeelobby

Re: [IC] L.L.Gmk
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 11:48:38 »
Dope as soap with the pope on a rope

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 11:51:50 »
I actually really like this one.  Kind of feels like a Sand Dolch (instead of Sky Dolch).
ThocKeys.com

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:11:45 »
"GMK in-tents"
(Like intense, but... out enjoying the wilderness and toasting marshmallows and stuff)

I really like this scheme.
Mostly clicked to drop a possible camping pun.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:16:47 »
What happened to the R1 key? It's the only one missing to complete English (UK) support.

Refer to the disclaimer my man, the render posted here is just for an idea of the color. Kits and compatability are still being determined, so no need to worry!  :thumb:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:17:39 »
"GMK in-tents"
(Like intense, but... out enjoying the wilderness and toasting marshmallows and stuff)

I really like this scheme.
Mostly clicked to drop a possible camping pun.

L.L.Bean and dad jokes go hand in hand, so feel free to pun this thread up my guy.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:23:45 »
What happened to the R1 key? It's the only one missing to complete English (UK) support.

Refer to the disclaimer my man, the render posted here is just for an idea of the color. Kits and compatability are still being determined, so no need to worry!  :thumb:

All right. I'll hold off on pestering you until you have a proper draft for kits.    :cool:

With that said... will THAT painting be made into a deskmat?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:25:08 »

All right. I'll hold off on pestering you until you have a proper draft for kits.  :))

With that said... will THAT painting be made into a deskmat?

Unfortunately, that's a negative. BUT I do have some incredible artists in my area with very similar styles that I could surely commission a piece from  :D

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:27:07 »
hell yes, i love this

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 12:55:52 »
Really like the colors... I know I may be in the minority here, but I prefer icons + text mods.

Also, I have a feeling you might have a struggle with the naming convention.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 13:08:55 »
Really like the colors... I know I may be in the minority here, but I prefer icons + text mods.

I'm hoping I don't get pushback on the name

I dont wanna have to call it GMK Bean  :confused:

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 14:49:41 »

I'm hoping I don't get pushback on the name

I dont wanna have to call it GMK Bean  :confused:
Feel free to use GMK in-tents
;)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 15:06:11 »
The real reason to make clothing themed caps

235090-0

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 19:18:09 »
This is my IRL color palette. Not sure if I want it on a keyboard but good job on the theme.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Ohtals

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 23:34:00 »
Bean Boot Esc or Enter key could be a cool novelty or maybe a moose or something too. Loving this color palette and if this gets further developed I would be really interested

Offline fropsie

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 23:40:11 »
Hate being that person, but may I ask why you are hopping from your previous incomplete IC into a new IC? It seems kind of... rash in a way. Best of luck to you regardless, but this ain't it chief.

Offline Banzai

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 23:46:53 »
I really don't need another GMK set, and I don't know what board this would go on, but being a native Maineiac I feel obligated to support this.

Offline yap68

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 01:19:10 »
Hate being that person, but may I ask why you are hopping from your previous incomplete IC into a new IC? It seems kind of... rash in a way. Best of luck to you regardless, but this ain't it chief.

+1

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:29:24 »

Last I checked there’s nothing wrong with gathering interest for ideas you have.

This is it chief.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:20:15 »

I assure you I'm actively working on my other set as well homie, no hopping here. Just had this idea with a friend and got the stuff together for it because we were excited is all. :thumb:

I must have been gone from geekhack too long, cause IC expectations are way different it seems. Not saying your concerns aren't valid or anything, I'm just not used to the environment where every set posted is already complete, and ICs are advertisements with vendors already established most times.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:32:54 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:27:13 »

(Attachment Link)

They hated him because he spoke the truth

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:37:48 »

(Attachment Link)

They hated him because he spoke the truth

A Denim Disciple

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:43:15 »
Bean Boot Esc or Enter key could be a cool novelty or maybe a moose or something too. Loving this color palette and if this gets further developed I would be really interested
Bootmobile artisan collab when?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: [IC] L.L.Gmk (Updated Renders Posted)
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:49:49 »
How do you guys interested feel about a potential name change to "GMK Maine" if there is pushback with the current name? Current name is a bit memey.

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 09:47:16 »
tbh I'm a fan of "GMK Beans", but "GMK Maine" would also be cool.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 10:30:32 »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 11:24:19 »
GMK Beans should be another IC entirely...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51w-SaqoSBL.jpg

It's almost April...

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 11:52:54 »
How do you guys interested feel about a potential name change to "GMK Maine" if there is pushback with the current name? Current name is a bit memey.

GMK Freeport after the hometown of LL Bean?

Edit: also I really don't see a problem with multiple concurrent ICs, as long as you aren't overlapping or staggering projects too closely who cares.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 12:00:41 »

GMK Freeport after the hometown of LL Bean?

Edit: also I really don't see a problem with multiple concurrent ICs, as long as you aren't overlapping or staggering projects too closely who cares.

I actually dig the Freeport Idea

I think I might just change it to that tonight..........

maybe :spink: I'll Mull it

Edit, we're doin it  :cool:
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:24:51 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: [IC] GMK Freeport (Name Change & IC Posted)
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:49:00 »
IC form posted, and name changed.

I feel like the name suggested by tex_live_utility fits the theme, avoids potential issues later, and rolls of the tongue well. He's a kind soul for suggesting this.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:51:55 »
 :thumb:

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 15:22:13 »
I'll still call it Beans in true local fashion

The new name is nice, I'll definitely get in for this kit if I can. 40s kit would be nice to have.

Offline fropsie

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 16:14:18 »

I assure you I'm actively working on my other set as well homie, no hopping here. Just had this idea with a friend and got the stuff together for it because we were excited is all. :thumb:

I must have been gone from geekhack too long, cause IC expectations are way different it seems. Not saying your concerns aren't valid or anything, I'm just not used to the environment where every set posted is already complete, and ICs are advertisements with vendors already established most times.

Ok, then that is awesome! Its great that you are launching a project with a friend, and I really do hope this is able to make it out of IC. Just speaking from experience, in the case that you spread yourself too thin, **** can get wonky and hard to manage, and launching two interest checks, where there is a possibility with people in fact taking great interest in both, can provide itself as either a blessing or a damn curse. I wholeheartedly wish you the best! The GMK Kote IC has certainly face a great improvement than from before, so I look forward to seeing the results of both ICs with great optimism :)

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 17:17:19 »
I'd been thinking of names that were still on point but not too close to the brand and Freeport was better than any I'd come up with.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 18:22:26 »

Ok, then that is awesome! Its great that you are launching a project with a friend, and I really do hope this is able to make it out of IC. Just speaking from experience, in the case that you spread yourself too thin, **** can get wonky and hard to manage, and launching two interest checks, where there is a possibility with people in fact taking great interest in both, can provide itself as either a blessing or a damn curse. I wholeheartedly wish you the best! The GMK Kote IC has certainly face a great improvement than from before, so I look forward to seeing the results of both ICs with great optimism :)

I'm glad you've noticed improvement in Kote! I've worked rather hard on that one, so it's nice to see that people have noticed haha.
I almost hate that this set seems to have gotten much more traction already even at this early stage, but I do love both of the ideas and colors.
Appreciate all the kind words <3

I'd been thinking of names that were still on point but not too close to the brand and Freeport was better than any I'd come up with.

tex_live_utility's idea was better than the few I had as well, so I'm forever grateful to him  :p

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 09:49:02 »
I'm loving the name change

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:51:00 »
Lots of asks for jean accents or jean colored novelties it seems.

What about something like this?

A "raw denim" mod swap kit:
235224-0

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: [IC] GMK Freeport (Palette converted to RAL)
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 06:33:28 »
Converted color palette from Pantones to Ral. Results in a slight color shift.
- Slightly darker green accents
- More off-white legends
- Slightly lighter alpha leather coloring

Once they're put together the color change is barely noticeable really

235300-0
235298-1

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 08:49:45 »
Like those RAL colors.

Everyone likes the idea of alt mod colors, hard to get MOQ on alt mod prices. A lot of them get very close to a TKL base kit price of the novelkeys GMK set of the month.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 09:07:45 »
Everyone likes the idea of alt mod colors, hard to get MOQ on alt mod prices. A lot of them get very close to a TKL base kit price of the novelkeys GMK set of the month.

Very true, and not much feedback has really come from the mod set here, so I doubt it would generate many buys.

Plus I think I'm at a "Custom color limit" really. I've not directly worked with GMK in the past, so I'm not entirely sure how much of an issue this many color matches might cause.

I swapped to RAL after last nights TopClack when they mentioned the problems with Pantone. So after looking found a Uniqey article that says RAL has a much better chance to match first try.

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 09:32:49 »
I like the new RAL colors. Not a fan of the color on the alt mods, possible kit issues aside.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:12:52 »
Don't want you guys to think I'm totally MIA, so here's a small sneak peak at some novelty work

Think of Bean boot sole texture
235557-0

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:24:07 »
I like the idea but it looks a bit like chains. How about a pine tree or something?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:41:59 »
I like the idea but it looks a bit like chains. How about a pine tree or something?

They are chains :P

Things like pine trees, fishing lures, bear tracks, and camping things are in the works as well, but this was a simple one that I thought was fun to post  :thumb:

Offline tunitech

• Techrabytes
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:55:44 »
Really dope! I love it!

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 12:20:26 »
One of the better GMK interest checks in awhile, well done  :thumb:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 15:12:52 »
One of the better GMK interest checks in awhile, well done  :thumb:

:-*

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 16:34:40 »
I knew what R4 novelties were just from the caps. Good stuff.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 16:56:55 »
cozy