Author Topic: No all-metal or even top plate metal keebs in stock anywhere?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

No all-metal or even top plate metal keebs in stock anywhere?
« on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 01:05:13 »
Searching for a currently in-stock keeb with these params: brown switches, cherry stabilizers ONLY (no funky variations nor costar!), full-sized (not even 96%). Replace whatever caps with MT3 profile. Metal casing (all metal or partial -- want a keeb at least 3 lbs that're more stable than the barely-over 2-lb Varm's, etc. Price: less than the Varmilo Sword 2.
Office use only -- just need typing -- i f only way I can get one with above params also has RGB, will just disable that). Wired. Budget: up to $275-ish.

Was about to buy the all-metal IBKR 108 but someone here recently trashed its casing design when using browns switches (sigh).
Ducky Shine 7's appear to be out of stock worldwide (should I search for slightly used ones on fleabay?).

And the modern IBM beamspring project is likely a year+ away from shipment.

Or do I have to settle for a plastic casing and perhaps some unneeded bluetooth battery in it to get to the 3+ lbs ideal?

p.s. Didn't go with DROP's full sized because don't like its standard-width zero key on the numpad (want more traditional double-wide zero).

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 September 2021, 05:31:46 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline Faceman76

Re: No all-metal or even top plate metal keebs in stock anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 04:07:12 »
I believe WASD Keyboards has an option for anodized metal cases on some of their full size boards.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 05:13:31 »
Am checking whether the assembled WASD/CODE keebs use costar vs cherry stabs though, since they sell individual costar stabs and cherry stabs.
UPDATE: Their video shows darned costar stabs on the modifiers. Drats...
re: my earlier-mentioned preference to instead use Cherry stabs.
Got all worked up on that anodized board, only to be shot down in assuming the response caught notice of my... anyway.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 September 2021, 05:19:40 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 07:09:59 »
I've lubed genuine Costar stabs and gotten them to perform quiet well and quiet.
I've also lubed what could be genuine and some that were most likely not that did not operate nice. So kind of hit and miss.

Welcome to the Covid world, where even stupid things like keyboards or even simply sand (!) is in short supply.
May want to look around for the aluminum IKBC models, someone may have one in stock somewhere (Sorry I don't have the model name), but again, with things how they are, good luck.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Chalkboard

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 10:14:12 »
Was about to buy the all-metal IBKR 108 but someone here recently trashed its casing design when using browns switches (sigh).

Why don't you make your mind up for yourself about that. You're going to let one anecdote ruin a possibly good solution for you. If possible, order an Amazon Warehouse open box one and try it at a discounted price. If you don't like it, just return it.

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 12:52:40 »
More from WASD about their WASD/CODE boards' stabs:

Both actually, our 60% keyboards have Cherry stabilizers and 'most' of our TKL and Fullsize boards will have Costar stabilizers.

Some of our newer stock of TKL and Fullsize boards will also have Cherry stabilizers are we are migrating to having all of our keyboards use Cherry stabilizers.

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 13:44:33 »
Anyone have a guess or actual experience trying out the Hexgear Supernova (all-metal yet cheaply priced) board sold by Kono?

https://kono.store/collections/all-products-list/products/hexgears-supernova-mechanical-keyboard?variant=21377449984083

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 15:24:44 »
Just to comment on the stabilizer requirement, I have a Das Keyboard 4 that has Cherry stabilizers on the space bar and Costar stabilizers on the other large keys.  After greasing them, the Costar ones are virtually silent.  The Cherry one was still pretty bad, and I ended up replacing it with a Durock stabilizer from Amazon.  It's still not as quiet as the Costar ones, but it's much better.  I'm essentially echoing Leslieann.  There are good and bad versions of both types of stabilizers, and you don't always know what you're going to get.

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 18:13:18 »
Didn't mean this to go off-tangent on the pro's and con's of stabilizers. I dealt with them once and swore never to again -- and I'm not the only one. Those of you who don't mind mess'n with their hard-to-handle characteristics, good for you, but don't try to change our minds.
Wish peeps had simply respected my wish instead of hijacking the thread and going off-topic. SMH.
Going to close the thread if people persist in posting about stabs despite my already repeatedly trying to steer it away from such. This isn't the GH member response I recall when others used to post serious questions and peeps would focus on said instead of...I give up.