Author Topic: [IC] JUKEBOX | Round 2 | Ordering Complete  (Read 159183 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Your kits look good.  Nice job man.

One note on the Planck/Atomic kit (realizing that it will be down the road a ways): Your "High" and "Low" keys can really say anything you want.  I think the stock nomenclature is "Raise" and "Lower" on those keys -- the logic being that you're raising or lowering the programmable layers on the board.  I used High and Low on my Danger Zone kit because it felt more in line with the aviation theme (high altitude, low altitude) and because those legends fit the space on a 1u cap, but it's not remotely standard.  I've also seen "Up" and "Down" on those keys.  Feel free to use whatever fits best with your theme.  If you still prefer High and Low, that's totally cool too.

If the comments so far are any indication this set seems like it will be a runaway success.   :thumb:

Thanks! Someone had mentioned it specifically, but now that I know where it came from I'm going to change it ;)

Mine has an up arrow/down arrow, but it was pieced together with a crap bag so I assumed maybe "high" and "low" were standards.

Perhaps a "high gear" "low gear" would vibe better.

And hey, Danger Zone already has a keyboard on my wall just waiting for it to hit GB.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] JUKEBOX a 50's Retro-Futurism Sculpted SA Keycaps
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 03:05:04 »
Data posted in the Danger Zone thread about what SP wants to do with their system: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68563.msg1751207#msg1751207

Basically overhaul the whole process, so you may have to wait a little for the site to be redone and put it up as an interest check there when it's ready. I like the idea behind the new system, but I think it will take away a little of the "limited time only" exclusivity of some of the sets. Definitely better for planning which sets to buy when, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:19:40 »
Data posted in the Danger Zone thread about what SP wants to do with their system: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68563.msg1751207#msg1751207

Basically overhaul the whole process, so you may have to wait a little for the site to be redone and put it up as an interest check there when it's ready. I like the idea behind the new system, but I think it will take away a little of the "limited time only" exclusivity of some of the sets. Definitely better for planning which sets to buy when, though.

Yeah, some of the novelty is gone.  But it's better than a constant stream of latecomers asking when the next round is happening or if the GB is still going.  And I guess if you still want the novelty you can always run your own "traditional" group buy and just have SP make the caps, or make arrangements with CtrlAlt, or do it like Ivan does.  This really only affects PMK.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:44:10 »

Yeah, some of the novelty is gone.  But it's better than a constant stream of latecomers asking when the next round is happening or if the GB is still going.  And I guess if you still want the novelty you can always run your own "traditional" group buy and just have SP make the caps, or make arrangements with CtrlAlt, or do it like Ivan does.  This really only affects PMK.

From what I understand you may still be able to run a limited run through them, but I'm not entirely sure. I do know for a fact that you'll only make your 5% as a designer if it goes through their Key Store (I asked as I'm going through Massdrop with R1). Still, I didn't set out to make money on this, and because thats the way we've been going with this set for a while I'm surely not going to change it just so I can make a buck or two(I also figure it means there won't be much competition this month or so).  That being said it should  still be up in their new store later, though I may wait 6 months or so before resubmitting after the first drop.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:46:51 »

Yeah, I'll be curious how this affects the guys like CtrlAlt that will still be doing one-of group buys. I can really see it going both ways, though I feel like that will still be a pretty valid model for sets.

Offline Data

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 08:55:59 »

Yeah, I'll be curious how this affects the guys like CtrlAlt that will still be doing one-of group buys. I can really see it going both ways, though I feel like that will still be a pretty valid model for sets.

I think CtrlAlt is shifting its business to JT Keycaps from now on.  I know Bunny has stated at least once that Hacked by Geeks was his last SP group buy.  So as far as GeekHack is concerned, everything is either run through the PMK system or it's moving on from SP completely.  Engicoder's 1976 add-on pack is the only one I'm aware of that will be run as an SP "traditional" group buy.

There's 7bit's Round X, but I consider that more of a Deskthority thing.  :P

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 09:22:52 »

I think CtrlAlt is shifting its business to JT Keycaps from now on.  I know Bunny has stated at least once that Hacked by Geeks was his last SP group buy.  So as far as GeekHack is concerned, everything is either run through the PMK system or it's moving on from SP completely.  Engicoder's 1976 add-on pack is the only one I'm aware of that will be run as an SP "traditional" group buy.

I am curious to see how the JTK set ends up. I order a set mainly out of curiosity even though I wasn't a huge fan of any of the colors. They have great prices, and look much better than SP DCS keycaps, which I hate. I can see traditional GB's being run just to have a limited set and it being a big hit. I can also see it flopping because the market will seem a bit oversaturated at first, especially compared to what we're used to. Time will tell. It does suck I have to wait for Danger Zone longer :(
This will have to hold me off until then  :thumb:

Offline engicoder

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:50:23 »

I am curious to see how the JTK set ends up. I order a set mainly out of curiosity even though I wasn't a huge fan of any of the colors. They have great prices, and look much better than SP DCS keycaps, which I hate. I can see traditional GB's being run just to have a limited set and it being a big hit. I can also see it flopping because the market will seem a bit oversaturated at first, especially compared to what we're used to. Time will tell. It does suck I have to wait for Danger Zone longer :(

JTK is just getting their DCS/Cherrry/OEM (or what every they are calling their profile) finished up, so I doubt they will be jumping into creating a whole set of spherical molds anytime soon.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:37:18 »

JTK is just getting their DCS/Cherrry/OEM (or what every they are calling their profile) finished up, so I doubt they will be jumping into creating a whole set of spherical molds anytime soon.

Yeah, I don't see SA having any competition anytime soon. But just having an extra option for a DCS/Cherry/OEM will be nice.

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 00:42:06 »
Any news from Massdrop? I need that update fix... :confused:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 07:45:00 »
Any news from Massdrop? I need that update fix... :confused:

I am supposed to expect something early this week. I figure probably tomorrow as this is a holiday :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 21:51:08 »
Big Update! Sending off renders to Massdrop. Hopefully I will get a date as to when the GB will start soon!

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 22:50:12 »
Big Update! Sending off renders to Massdrop. Hopefully I will get a date as to when the GB will start soon!

Offline jsbradley7

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 23:03:49 »
lol!  Had a similar reaction myself upon reading livingspeedbump's post.
Thinking this set would look good on a Cherry G80/1 1800 - dyed/painted of course  :D

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 05:26:49 »
Thanks for the update.

These decisions...  Jukebox*, Modern Selectric, Carbon*... :rolleyes:

*current favourites

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 12:21:45 »
I only got the Modern selectric alphas, the modifiers are SOOOOOOO expensive, its insane. I think a lot of this is due to how many custom keys that had to make for it.

When I got my original quotes, Jukebox will originally start at $115 for the whole base kit that covers TKL, and Winkeyless, with a few novelties.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 12:23:45 »
lol!  Had a similar reaction myself upon reading livingspeedbump's post.
Thinking this set would look good on a Cherry G80/1 1800 - dyed/painted of course  :D

I think it would look totally badass on a chrome or pink case modeled after a 50's Chevy Bel Air haha

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 12:26:16 »
I only got the Modern selectric alphas, the modifiers are SOOOOOOO expensive, its insane. I think a lot of this is due to how many custom keys that had to make for it.

When I got my original quotes, Jukebox will originally start at $115 for the whole base kit that covers TKL, and Winkeyless, with a few novelties.
Yeah, that's why I'm no longer considering it at the moment. I definitely can't get all of them. The Ergodox kit is also super expensive, because all the modifiers have legends.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 06:31:09 by wlhlm »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 12:34:15 »
Yeah, its very unfortunate.

Though these are just things that have to be considered when developing a kit. Getting the community feedback/quotes from PMK ahead of time are always useful. When you just rush through it all big surprises like that can happen and really make the kit useless because so many things wont tip.

Offline Liar

Re: [IC] JUKEBOX a 50's Retro-Futurism Sculpted SA Keycaps (Dropping Soon!)
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:54:57 »
I know it's late in the process to be making requests, but how about a reverse-color alphas kit?

Or perhaps a reverse-color gaming alphas kit (WASD + ERFG)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:59:08 »
I know it's late in the process to be making requests, but how about a reverse-color alphas kit?

Or perhaps a reverse-color gaming alphas kit (WASD + ERFG)

Honestly, I don't think there's nearly enough interest for a full set of reverse-color alphas, people seem to really dig cream color alphas from the feedback I've gotten. The gaming kit isn't a bad idea, but I'm already in the process of submitting everything. Because I am trying to give a base kit that is as compatible as possible, I really had to weed out the keys that I didn't think would be needed, and WASD keys, though fun, aren't a necessity.

That being said after the original run on Massdrop I will be open to running a few extra child kits. I could post a reverse color alpha kit in the interest check on PMK when it reopens, but it would need at least 50-100 votes just on that kit alone. The WASD kit can also be posted, I'm sure that won't be hard to tip for an extra 5-7 bucks in the store, especially for everyone that already has the set. I think it will be much cheaper to get the base + available child deals on Massdrop than PMK later on.

Thanks for the input!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:13:43 »
Another Big Update!

I am very pleased to tell everyone that this set should show up on Massdrop sometime between this weekend and the next weekend ;D

Thanks everyone for all their input and support, especially Wilba and Engicoder!

I will create a GB thread after it drops.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:14:53 »
Another Big Update!

I am very pleased to tell everyone that this set should show up on Massdrop sometime between this weekend and the next weekend ;D

Thanks everyone for all their input and support, especially Wilba and Engicoder!

Super excited! ;D :cool:

Can you disclose the price already? Still $115?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:19:37 »
If I had it I would, should be right around there to start, getting cheaper of course :)

I added 4 small keys since my last quote, so I assume right around there though, yes. I will update that when I know!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:20:41 »
Another Big Update!

Can't wait! I like this set so much, I may buy two so I have one at home and at work :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #225 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:38:20 »
Thanks for the kind words!

Really glad you like it :thumb:

Won't lie, I'm buying 2 or 3 as well haha.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 23:51:59 »
Drop should happen monday or tuesday, my phone call with Massdrop today had me making sure the discussed changes are ready early monday, and once Melissa gets back with a quote for the new kits I will approve everything and the drop can commence!

The kits have been altered so there are more kits, but smaller. Essentially you won't really get any keys you don't specifically need. In my discussion with Massdrop they made the good point that just having a lower base price will make the set visibly cheaper without clicking on it and hopefully increase sales by making it more affordable. If I decide to ever run this kit again though the PMK store I should mention that it will be with a full kit as originally planned, perhaps even with the numpad added and very few child deals (now that any child deals in the store will also need 50 votes). If all goes well I may hold the set for a year or so and let Massdrop simply run the next set as well. I digress, I'm getting ahead of myself here, I just want to make sure everyone knows exactly what is going on, you all deserve to know!

For now lets concentrate on the current drop!

Base pricing should hit somewhere between 49-59 (target price here). Regardless this should end up being a relatively affordable set  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #227 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 07:01:26 »
Base pricing should hit somewhere between 49-59 (target price here). Regardless this should end up being a relatively affordable set  :thumb:

Was hoping you would give it another week or so since Retro GB is due to finish next week as well. 

Give some time for fellow geekhacker wallets to build up their weight yet again before their usual, monetary disembowelment  8) .

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 11:46:50 »
I'll try to remember to ask how long it will run for. Unfortunately I'm not having a whole lot of say in scheduling as it really comes down to Signature Plastics and Massdrop.

I'll mention that though (im in on retro as well) and see about a possible week delay :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2015, 13:03:01 by livingspeedbump »

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:48:13 »
Another Big Update!

wow
I'm so freaking out of my mind to hear this
I guess i shoud sell one of my kidneys to jump in this GB  :p :p :p :p

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:59:58 »
So I can tell you this much now, and probably confirm a lot of speculation tomorrow or tuesday.

The plan as of Friday was to have it up this weekend, but Melissa left early and we didn't have quotes. Wasn't a bad thing. I redid a lot of the child deals/base kit to be a bit smaller and more affordable by breaking them up. This was a request by Massdrop. There was a bit more to it, but their logic was very sound. We are aiming at around $50-$60 for the base set. I should have quotes if not the actual pricing tiers for you tomorrow.

I also requested the drop be held off until this upcoming weekend/next monday. Retro will finish this week and myself along with tons of other people are in on that, so a little extra wallet recover time would be nice as suggested by a few people here.

End of the day, the set WILL drop within a week, hopefully at some good price points (we are expecting it to do a little better than the last few PMK sets and at least getting a nice low price, especially now for the base kit).

Thanks for following the thread though! I really hope you enjoy the set!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:06:31 »

It's almost here.......

(Thanks to Nostril for the render  ;) )
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:08:32 by livingspeedbump »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:14:25 »
Show Image

It's almost here.......

This is going to be an expensive summer...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:29:33 »
Show Image

It's almost here.......

Not exactly a cheap Winter here either........

Just have to sustain multiple hits in the wallet's backside all through this season and hope that at the end of it, nothing is permanently damaged.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:30:47 »
Show Image

It's almost here.......

Just have to sustain multiple hits in the wallet's backside all through this season and hope that at the end of it, nothing is permanently damaged.

hopefully that extra week happen, definitely was a solid suggestion. thanks!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 12:24:24 »
Will I have to buy the main set to buy the child deals? Could I just buy, for example, a num pad set?

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 12:29:11 »
Show Image

It's almost here.......

hopefully that extra week happen, definitely was a solid suggestion. thanks!

Extra week would be nice, I just dropped 200$ on SA Retro. I get paid Friday though so no worries if there is no delay :). All these group buys are killing my wallet, I for sure want these and the black on black dye subs Ivan has running,  I am going to pass on Modern Selectric.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 12:39:44 »
Yeah I think I got out for around that much on Retro. Wasn't going to miss it though.

I sadly passed on Modern Selectric too. The modifier price is really what drove me away. I'd have bought it up in a heartbeat if a standard text modifier option was available.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 12:49:22 »
It's a really good looking set too, hopefully a ton of people join and the price drops farther, then I may reconsider it.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Hey everyone! I have some concrete news for ya,

Massdrop listened to the request to push the drop back a bit. The drop will be at the end of next week (June 12-14ish). They will be dropping a DSA set tomorrow where Jukebox would have been. This was a community request, and I've tried my best to listen to every bit of input I could along the way. I think it works well as the drop should finish right As usual, this was a very good request, it give everyone (myself included) a bit of time to recover from Retro.

Pricing is being worked on now, but he says its looking good so hopefully it is around the target range he wanted (50-60 for the base). I'll let everyone know more on that when I know, should be a day or two.

I just thought I should confirm the drop dates here for everyone so you know its coming! Start saving!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder

Massdrop listened to the request to push the drop back a bit. The drop will be at the end of next week (June 12-14ish). They will be dropping a DSA set tomorrow where Jukebox would have been. This was a community request, and I've tried my best to listen to every bit of input I could along the way. I think it works well as the drop should finish right As usual, this was a very good request, it give everyone (myself included) a bit of time to recover from Retro.

Pricing is being worked on now, but he says its looking good so hopefully it is around the target range he wanted (50-60 for the base). I'll let everyone know more on that when I know, should be a day or two.

I just thought I should confirm the drop dates here for everyone so you know its coming! Start saving!

Great news! Thanks for the update. Time to join Massdrop finally :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline seville57

Great, good news.

Offline ImDaBaron

Hey livingspeedbump do you know what the ship date is for Jukebox that Massdrop will set? I saw the ship date for the Galaxy set they have now and it's almost into September for shipping. That just worries me a little.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 09:24:37 by ImDaBaron »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Not sure yet, since Massdrop is handling the set they are doing most of the talking to SP now. Obviously it shouldn't take that long, 4-6 weeks seems to be the norm for SP now. Its an odd time with all the new stuff they are doing there though so I'm honestly not sure.

There could also be different times for different profiles.  Good question though, I'll report back when I have something concrete for you. End of the day I'd rather SP be honest about time than have huge delays.

Offline ImDaBaron

Not sure yet, since Massdrop is handling the set they are doing most of the talking to SP now. Obviously it shouldn't take that long, 4-6 weeks seems to be the norm for SP now. Its an odd time with all the new stuff they are doing there though so I'm honestly not sure.

There could also be different times for different profiles.  Good question though, I'll report back when I have something concrete for you. End of the day I'd rather SP be honest about time than have huge delays.

Thanks man I appreciate it. Only reason I ask is because my living situation may change around that time.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
And that is a very good reason. I would imagine you could change your address via Massdrop and they could change shipping address if needed. It may be worth going ahead an asking them!

Offline zabuza1997

Wow, so this really comes true :v

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Excited for this!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

Yes, definitely happening! Jukebox was supposed to be this week, but it switched with the galaxy DSA set so it should drop right after that :)

Offline zabuza1997

Yes, definitely happening! Jukebox was supposed to be this week, but it switched with the galaxy DSA set so it should drop right after that :)
Viva SA!!!DSA sucks