Author Topic: [IC] JUKEBOX | Round 2 | Ordering Complete  (Read 159437 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: [IC] JUKEBOX | Gearing up for round 2 | Updated 11-26-15
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 12:45:36 »
Have you thought about making the up arrow keys and all the keys that are meant to be pressed by the thumbs in R3 rather than R4?

Nah, I'm a pretty big fan of R4, both feel and aesthetic wise. I can understand wanting R3, but thats just one of the little details I don't want to change this go around. Another reason not to change as well is that I'll be adding a few new novelties, thus mixing and matching from both sets wouldn't be possible if i changed my profile now. Fair question though!

I don't understand … can you please explain why you like it better for the keys I mentioned to be in R4 rather than R3? If they were R3, my thumbs wouldn't have to hit sharp corners on the Alt keys and my right middle finger wouldn't have to hurdle over one when it moves from the down arrow key to the up arrow key.

Yeah, it's important to keep in mind that these sets are usually always collaborative efforts between the community and the designer, and so sometimes compromises have to be made to keep the set universally satisfying and compatible (and this in turn helps with reaching MQO in some cases!). I think if your idea was implemented, it'd go against the preferences of the majority, not to mention throw off the row profile on a 65% or 75% board.

You kind of just have to roll with what you get and make the best of it! Accommodations are sometimes made; I think LSB is going to add 75% support to this second round (it looks like the Planck/Atomic set might be the pack that will also shoehorn 75% support), but with the first drop, I had to rock a '5' key on row 3 of the 16th column, since there was no compatible key for it.

yeah ill post your 75% kit in a day or two!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline E3E

« Reply #351 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 13:20:45 »
Have you thought about making the up arrow keys and all the keys that are meant to be pressed by the thumbs in R3 rather than R4?

Nah, I'm a pretty big fan of R4, both feel and aesthetic wise. I can understand wanting R3, but thats just one of the little details I don't want to change this go around. Another reason not to change as well is that I'll be adding a few new novelties, thus mixing and matching from both sets wouldn't be possible if i changed my profile now. Fair question though!

I don't understand … can you please explain why you like it better for the keys I mentioned to be in R4 rather than R3? If they were R3, my thumbs wouldn't have to hit sharp corners on the Alt keys and my right middle finger wouldn't have to hurdle over one when it moves from the down arrow key to the up arrow key.

Yeah, it's important to keep in mind that these sets are usually always collaborative efforts between the community and the designer, and so sometimes compromises have to be made to keep the set universally satisfying and compatible (and this in turn helps with reaching MQO in some cases!). I think if your idea was implemented, it'd go against the preferences of the majority, not to mention throw off the row profile on a 65% or 75% board.

You kind of just have to roll with what you get and make the best of it! Accommodations are sometimes made; I think LSB is going to add 75% support to this second round (it looks like the Planck/Atomic set might be the pack that will also shoehorn 75% support), but with the first drop, I had to rock a '5' key on row 3 of the 16th column, since there was no compatible key for it.

yeah ill post your 75% kit in a day or two!

Sweet! Sounds good. Thanks, man. :D

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #352 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 13:04:57 »
I would really appreciate it if someone could direct me to some color-accurate pictures of this set.  I bailed on the round 1 drop at the last minute because, after examining the color chip, I thought the alphas were a little too brown for my taste.  I was hoping that seeing the actual product on keyboards would help me make a decision on whether to purchase round 2.  Since round 1 has completed, I've seen a few images of this set, but the colors vary.  In some images, the alphas are off-white.  In other images, the alphas are tan.  I've seen a few images where the alphas look a lot like yellowed ivory. 

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 13:32:47 »

Offline Butter

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 21:38:39 »
The forum kit and the novelties kit have the same picture.

Offline Charizard

« Reply #355 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 09:46:06 »
Any update on when r2 is going live?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 11:22:41 »

I know a few other big sets are dropping first, even at 1 a month it should only be a few months away tops. On the meantime I am trying to conjure up the best additional kits. will start posting them when i know a date to ramp up the interest then  :thumb:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:31:03 »

I know a few other big sets are dropping first, even at 1 a month it should only be a few months away tops. On the meantime I am trying to conjure up the best additional kits. will start posting them when i know a date to ramp up the interest then  :thumb:

Well, I guess I'll just have to try to be patient =P

Offline DaveW

• zer0knowledge
« Reply #358 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:26:17 »
So happy to hear there will be a round 2 for this. Love the look of this set and having gotten into mechanical keyboards less than two months ago, I feel like I missed all the awesome looking sets.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #359 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 21:27:10 »
So happy to hear there will be a round 2 for this. Love the look of this set and having gotten into mechanical keyboards less than two months ago, I feel like I missed all the awesome looking sets.

There will always be more. I said the same thing a year ago.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 05:08:09 »

Join the club  ;D
Sometimes I'm wondering exactly how I've managed to miss all that cool stuff ..
it's not that I didn't know about the mechanicals, I guess it's just hard to see how deep the rabbit hole goes when looking from the outside.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Re: [IC] JUKEBOX | Gearing up for round 2 | Updated 1-20-16
« Reply #361 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:07:15 »
Hey Everyone! Rolled out a big update with some new kits. The last big kit I am working on is a "funky size" kit, for those 65%/75% keyboards. I hope to include as many options as possible in this. Things like the White Fox/Octogon, Smart68, FC660, etc, will be considerd.

If you have any feedback on existing sets, please let me know! If there is anything you'd like to see, please let me know as well! I am considering adding some blue keys in with the alt. color pack to use instead of the red, let me know if you dig that idea, I need to gauge if that is worth it or not.

Thanks!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #362 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:20:45 »
Hey Everyone! Rolled out a big update with some new kits. The last big kit I am working on is a "funky size" kit, for those 65%/75% keyboards. I hope to include as many options as possible in this. Things like the White Fox/Octogon, Smart68, FC660, etc, will be considerd.

If you have any feedback on existing sets, please let me know! If there is anything you'd like to see, please let me know as well! I am considering adding some blue keys in with the alt. color pack to use instead of the red, let me know if you dig that idea, I need to gauge if that is worth it or not.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update! Can't wait for round 2 to go live!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #363 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:21:20 »

Thanks!

Sure thing!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #364 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:24:31 »

Thanks!

Sure thing!

Someone needs to buy my round 1 set so I can afford round 2.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #365 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:28:54 »

Thanks!

Sure thing!

Someone needs to buy my round 1 set so I can afford round 2.

You should be able to just add any kits you want onto what you have. The base kit is more or less staying exactly the same :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:55:35 »
Might join this and lose my SA virginity too.

Offline moonk5

« Reply #367 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:41:20 »
How many people joined for the first round?
I definitely want to be in for next round. Any specific schedule?

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #368 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:53:16 »

Thanks!

Please please pleeeaase make a 75% kit! :D
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Alex92

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:45:41 »
I'd like to see some more R1 red novelty keys :)
The forum keys are good, but I prefer using a red escape key with this set.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:55:22 »

Hm, 300ish maybe. Drop will happen for sure in 2-3 months  :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #371 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:55:46 »

I can work on that! I do too :)

Offline geezfools

« Reply #372 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:03:44 »
This may be my first full set purchase. Well, any purchase since getting my KUL. These are gorgeous!

Offline Alex92

« Reply #373 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:10:57 »

I can work on that! I do too :)

Yay :D

Offline moonk5

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:28:57 »

Hm, 300ish maybe. Drop will happen for sure in 2-3 months  :thumb:

Awesome! Count me in  ;D
BTW, I really respect your design for Jukebox!

Offline skaloola

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:52:31 »
icon mods and i'm in.

also, hhkb / hacker layout support (short right shift, 1x1 pipe etc)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:58:00 by skaloola »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:37:01 »
icon mods and i'm in.

The adapter kit already supports the hacker/hhkb layout ;)

Icon mods probably wont happen unless there are a lot of people that want it, but the base kit wont change, so it would be expensive to say the least.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:06:12 »
icon mods and i'm in.

Icon mods probably wont happen unless there are a lot of people that want it, but the base kit wont change, so it would be expensive to say the least.

I'd love to see some icon mods as an option!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:09:25 »
icon mods and i'm in.

Ill see if any other designers will let me use their molds, because it would make things more expensive than i would want to fund new ones with this set.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:11:51 »
I would really appreciate it if someone could direct me to some color-accurate pictures of this set.  I bailed on the round 1 drop at the last minute because, after examining the color chip, I thought the alphas were a little too brown for my taste.  I was hoping that seeing the actual product on keyboards would help me make a decision on whether to purchase round 2.  Since round 1 has completed, I've seen a few images of this set, but the colors vary.  In some images, the alphas are off-white.  In other images, the alphas are tan.  I've seen a few images where the alphas look a lot like yellowed ivory.

http://imgur.com/a/xuBP8 here is an album with more community shots as well.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:13:43 »
icon mods and i'm in.

Ill see if any other designers will let me use their molds, because it would make things more expensive than i would want to fund new ones with this set.

just use the pulse mods lol

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:15:34 »

The last picture doesn't look like Jukebox...

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:17:18 »

The Noodz?

(actually, Jukebox meets Round 5 :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #383 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:18:03 »
icon mods and i'm in.

just use the pulse mods lol

haha. Skulldazed (Modern Selectric) had a really good set. i'll discuss it with him.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:13:14 »

The Noodz?

I was about to say the same thing!

icon mods and i'm in.

So if someone pays to get new molds made, they are they only ones that are allowed to use those molds?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:14:59 »

The Noodz?

icon mods and i'm in.

So if someone pays to get new molds made, they are they only ones that are allowed to use those molds?

Yeah, they basically are no different than novelties as far as I know.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:23:21 »
More

The Noodz?

icon mods and i'm in.

Yeah, they basically are no different than novelties as far as I know.

Interesting. I'm surprised PMK doesn't (generally) keep the rights to them. I think I remember seeing somewhere that custom molds were $50, which I feel like that's rather low to get a mold made.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #387 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 00:19:16 »
If anyone got Jukebox and liked it there is a poll up for keyset of the year  :thumb:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78712.new#new

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #388 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 04:07:16 »
If anyone got Jukebox and liked it there is a poll up for keyset of the year  :thumb:

Voted!   :cool:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline E3E

« Reply #389 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:26:59 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #390 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:14:37 »

Voted too, I think this or Fulse will be my first SA set.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:23:21 »

Voted too, I think this or Fulse will be my first SA set.

Carbon was my first, and I really regret passing on the first round of Jukebox & 1976. Definitely my favorite profile thus far.

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #392 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:38:46 »

That Jukebox / Round 5 combo is sick

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 22:11:19 »

They really do complement each other very well!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 22:27:04 »
This set looks really good...esé

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 02:42:11 »
I missed jukebox, since Carbon literally pulled/pushed me into this hobby.
But I now have Carbon on my new homemade board, and am waiting for R6 for another board, so why would I possibly need Jukebox on a third board? I only have two hands, people!

Cause I do. That's why! Cause I do!!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #396 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 13:09:52 »
This set looks really good...esé

Thanks digi!  ;D

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #397 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 13:14:01 »

It was a very interesting combo i thought. Looks good with the carbon alphas as well, though pure round 5 Honeywell may be my favorite set of all time

Offline ixtopolis

« Reply #398 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 13:15:06 »
I'm completely new to the mech game, but I'm in for a set.

Now I just need a board to put it on...

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #399 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 13:19:02 »
I'm completely new to the mech game, but I'm in for a set.

Now I just need a board to put it on...

What sort of board did you have in mind? Size? Backlighting? Switch type? Bezel? Custom? There are so many options.  :D