Author Topic: Custom Keyboard Sleeves  (Read 2749 times)

Offline carlossless

• Personal Page
Custom Keyboard Sleeves
« on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:51:58 »
Hey Everyone,

I've just started out customizing my recently got Pok3r. I've got an idea for a custom keycap set, I've got all of the materials to make some paracord usb cables, but one thing still eludes me: Keyboard Sleeves.

So I would like to ask everyone about:
What Fabrics do you use?
Where do you have your fabrics printed, or print them yourself?
What do you use for lining?
How do you tailor your sleeves? (machines, hands and needles?

I know the questions are pretty vague, but it's because I'm not exactly sure where to start :)

Thanks!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: Custom Keyboard Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 05:48:28 »
I've been meaning to post a tutorial for making sleeves.  It's pretty easy, easier if you can use a sewing machine.

You can buy a fat-quarter of fabric from a haberdashery - preferably 2 - one for the lining.  Get matching thread while you're there.  Polycotton or cotton fabric will work well.  You'll be surprised at how helpful these shops can be, if you need help, ask.

Make a paper template and pin to the fabric - for a poker I use 376mm x 314mm - this allows for a seam allowance of approx 8mm.

Cut around the template using a rotary cutter and corresponding self-healing cutting mat underneath (alternatively sharp scissors will do the job).

Iron the fabric - an important step to ensure your fabric is smooth and evenly aligned at the next stage.

Fold one piece of fabric in half lengthways - if it is patterned you'll want to fold the fabric so the right sides are on the inside.

Pin edges of fabric together to hold it in place.  If you're just starting, be prepared to use quite a few pins!

Using the matching thread, sew along the length about 8mm away from the edge (I  find larger seams are easier to work with).  Don't forget to remove your pins before you sew over them or you will break a needle.

Once you get near the end of the fabric - so 8mm away from the bottom edge, stop with the needle down through the material and turn the material 90 degrees and sew along the bottom edge.  Don't forget to do a few reverse stitches to lock the thread in place before you finish.

Check that you can get the keyboard inside.  If it's good, cut the corners off diagonally - but not the stitches! (This will give you neat, sharp corners when it comes to turning it out later).

Cut away excess thread.
---------
Repeat all of the above for the other piece of fabric.
---------
Iron the seams.  You'll have to fold open the seam flaps (about 8mm).  Consider ironing the lot while you're at it.

Place the bag made of the lining material inside the outer bag.  You want the nice side of the outer bag showing on the outside, and the nice side of the lining material visible on the inside. Ensure the seams of both bags are aligned with each other so they lie flat - otherwise they may end up twisted when finally sewn together. 

Sew both bags together around the top edges leaving a small seam allowance - don't sew the bag closed! (there should be a removable table section on your sewing machine to help sew inside small tubular sections of fabric - it's usually called a free arm).

Take your time as it will look much neater if the start and end points of your sewing meet (you are effectively sewing a circle).

Turn that newly sewn top edge over towards the inside of the bag about 1 cm.  Be neat.  Do it again so the line of stitching is hidden. 

Iron.

Carefully sew around the folded top edge about 1cm from the top (so very close to the lower edge of the fold, holding it down) to give you a neatly finished top-stitch (it will be visible from the outside of the finished item).

I hope this makes sense, any questions please ask.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2016, 07:08:44 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 12:00:53 »
That's a very nice writeup Hoggy, thank you.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 10:43:16 »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kolyz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 10:48:27 »
I've made a photo tutorial - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79872.0
Awesome tutorial, thanks a lot for making this.

Offline carlossless

• Personal Page
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 10:54:39 »