Author Topic: Pre-ordered Galaxy Class Key-Caps, need first mech board to put them on  (Read 2453 times)

Offline cometcyclonemk

As the title suggests... I may have gotten into this hobby a bit backwards buying caps before a keyboard.

Anyway, it's where I am. I have no experience with mechanical keyboards so hopefully, you all can steer me in the right direction.

Desires:

1. TKL + separate tenkey pad. Would be open to a split board of sorts if the total set of keys included arrows and a number pad.

2. I really like the look of big bulky vintage boards (but my caps are mx compatible)

3. Office environment so not super loud (silent isn't necessary either)

4. I feel like RGB backlighting so I could match the backlights to the key color would be the perfect compliment to these keys...

5. High quality. If I'm going to dive in, it might as well be headfirst. I'd hate to get my first mechanical keyboard and deal with creaking/loose keys or other quality issues.

Any suggestions?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Pre-ordered Galaxy Class Key-Caps, need first mech board to put them on
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 18:00:07 »
if you get rid of RGB backlighting, a full size filco fits everything
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline cometcyclonemk

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 15:45:53 »
Ended up ordering the ikbc mf-87 v2 with Cherry Browns. Hopefully it does the trick. Now I just need to find an aluminum numpad to match!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 19:18:57 »
You might find that you dont need the numpad as much as you think unless you're typing in accounting info, IP addresses, or phone numbers all day.
I've also heard that the sound of cherry browns can irritate people - you might add the small rubber o-rings or landing pads under the caps to make it a little less "clacky"
-Dana

Offline cometcyclonemk

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 17:14:35 »
Yeah, I don't know that *need* is the right word for the numpad... But my keycap set has the numpad keys as navigational controls... So pretty sure I want one, even if it doesn't get used much.

The Ducky pocket calculator seems kinda cool, but not aluminum. Any other cool, slightly off-normal, preferably aluminum numpads out there?

Good call on the o-rings. The MF-87 showed up yesterday and it's certainly louder than the Dell junk they provide at work. Also - holy moly this thing is sweet. Super solidly built. Nice backlighting. USB connection seems fine (reviews said the first version had issues).