Author Topic: Vortex Pok3r Non-RGB vs RGB Sound Difference?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline locksng12

• Keyboard is Love; Keyboard is Life
Vortex Pok3r Non-RGB vs RGB Sound Difference?
« on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 11:23:16 »
Hello fellow enthusiasts? I am relatively new in the forums but I have been playing many mechanical keyboards myself.

My next purchase is going to be a Vortex Pok3r because of it's minimalist design but here is the real question.
I am getting the board fitted with MX Browns on them but I am very specific with how the keys sound when they're pressed (I believe everyone here in this forums is also picky about it)

I learned that the Pok3r RGB board has a two layer PCB while the non-RGB variant has only one.
So do they sound noticeably different or is it very subtle that it is almost unnoticeable?

This video from Rhinofeed gave me a rough idea of how it sounds (I know it's MX Clears on this)

but I just can't seem to find any sound test videos in youtube for the RGB MX Brown model.

So I am summoning all Vortex Pok3r users. Pls help  :(
Vortex Race 3
Ducky One TKL RGB
Ajazz AK33
[Sold] Corsair K70
2012 Razer Blackwidow Essential w/ MX Blues

Offline killyou

Re: Vortex Pok3r Non-RGB vs RGB Sound Difference?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:43:48 »
I thought RGB and regular are using the same PCB?? I can't really help you with that one but I'll just say that you should definitely get that board as it's awesome. I have the same version as the one in the video and it sounds very close. Also little - to - no spring noise which is good. Also the best looking Pok3r is no RBG version with PBT keycaps, bank gothic font and black plate. You still have time to reconsider your choice  :p

Offline locksng12

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:58:16 »
According to Reddit here it is using dual PCB.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6ho4jt/photos_new_pok3r_rgb_pcb_design/

I'm just concerned if they'll make the sound different since any pieces of layer will 'change the sound of the keyboard'

"Also the best looking Pok3r is no RBG version with PBT keycaps, bank gothic font and black plate."
Yeah, they do look great. I am thinking of getting the RGB but changing the keycaps to the non-RGB ones. Apparently they only cost about $30 a set so it's something I don't mind paying.  :p
Vortex Race 3
Ducky One TKL RGB
Ajazz AK33
[Sold] Corsair K70

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 16:30:23 »
What your asking is almost impossible to know if that makes any since. There be far to many variable's to get a accurate idea of sound profiles between a RGB Brown Pok3r and a Non RGB Clear Board. The only way you could get a semi accurate picture would be to have the same person testing both board's even then the switches would/could play a role in sound production.

The reason I say you need the same person is everyone has there own method of typing and bottoming out etc. The taking two people and having them test board's side by side would most likely produce two different sound profiles. As there techniques would differ from each other. Given this would be marginal but with the question. I think Marginal is what your after

Then there is the switches them self's. The Cherry browns are far lighter then the Cherry Clear's. That can also play a role in how the switch is pressed and with how much force.

Then finally the biggest issue of them all and the most important issue is. The way the persons sound testing equipment is setup. There are varying degree's of equipment rooms background noise etc etc. That can play a role.

Then one other factor is the RGB Keycap's are ABS double shot where the Non-RGB are PBT Double Shot.. that can also play a huge role in how they sound...

One word of warning the stabs's on my Vortex Pok3r rattled a LOT even thought they are plate mount there none replaceable with out desoldering the switches due to plate design.

Hope this was helpful. Its kinda a direct indirect answer to the question.

Offline locksng12

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 00:36:19 »
Thanks for the insight HotRoderX. I totally understand what you mean to minimise the factors for the sound reproduction.

Since I own a Ducky One TKL RGB, I was not so pleased with the MX Browns sounds produced in it which is why I am considering in another keyboard. That's why I am intrigued to know a sound difference with a Pok3r non-RGB and RGB sound that are both in browns.

In Malaysia, it is impossible to buy MX Clears locally. I want MX Clears but we only have the luxury of ordering either Blue, Brown, Red, or speed switches.  :(
Vortex Race 3
Ducky One TKL RGB
Ajazz AK33
[Sold] Corsair K70