Author Topic: IBM Model M replacement spring assemblies  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Phormio

IBM Model M replacement spring assemblies
« on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:17:31 »
I didn't realize how worn out the springs were on my first IBM Model M keyboard (from 1989, model no. 1391401) until I bought my second (from 1994, model no. 1397599).  I ordered buckling spring assemblies from clickykeyboards.com (they told me the assemblies were original, unused assemblies from electronically defective keyboards).  However, USPS lost these and clickykeyboards.com won't send another batch unless their package is marked undeliverable or is returned to them.  Should I buy buckling spring assemblies from Unicomp?  Are they the same as the original assemblies?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: IBM Model M replacement spring assemblies
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:53:23 »
I didn't realize how worn out the springs were on my first IBM Model M keyboard (from 1989, model no. 1391401) until I bought my second (from 1994, model no. 1397599).  I ordered buckling spring assemblies from clickykeyboards.com (they told me the assemblies were original, unused assemblies from electronically defective keyboards).  However, USPS lost these and clickykeyboards.com won't send another batch unless their package is marked undeliverable or is returned to them.  Should I buy buckling spring assemblies from Unicomp?  Are they the same as the original assemblies?

Yes, the ones from Unicomp are the same as the original spring assemblies. I've never had a problem with getting anything from Unicomp, and it's all the same as they use in thier new Model M's.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 14:26:38 »
Yep - Unicomp is a god-send for keeping old Model M's working.  All their parts are OEM and work fine.
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline Phormio

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 07:17:48 »
Good to know.  Thanks, guys!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 18:48:01 »
In my experience, broken/missing plastic rivets are more common than springs wearing out, although that can happen, especially if the keyboard was stored with something pressing down on the keys for a long time.

That being said, new spring assemblies are pretty cheap, and if you bolt mod + install new springs, the keyboard will feel great.