Author Topic: Has anyone tried varied spring weights based on finger used for touch typing?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline jlee755

To clarify, I was wondering if anyone has used lighter spring weights for the keys that require the pinky vs heavier springs on the index and middle fingers? To go even deeper, using an even lighter spring if a weaker finger has to reach for a key in a slightly more difficult to reach key such as "Q" or "/"

I wanted to see if anyone liked this sort of variable response from their keyboard and if it felt intuitive. I haven't tried it, as I don't have that many different spring weights to experiment with but I thought it might be a fun little build to try!

Offline Riverman

That's exactly how a Topre Realforce keyboard works.  The space bar has an additional spring under it to make it slightly heavier, since your thumbs are stronger, and the keys you press with your pinkies are lighter than the rest of the keys.  It's a great idea, but on those keyboards, the outer ones are light enough that they lose most of their tactility and just feel mushy.

For Cherry MX keyboards, I replace the space bar switch in all of mine with a heavier one.  Most of mine have brown switches, and I use a tactile grey for the space bar.  If I ever bought an MX clear keyboard, I'd consider replacing the outer switches with brown ones.  I think that would help to keep it feeling more even.

Offline Polymer

Topre Variable is like that..and it works...Less thock than a uniform Topre...but it is easier on the hands...

Offline jlee755

That's exactly how a Topre Realforce keyboard works.  The space bar has an additional spring under it to make it slightly heavier, since your thumbs are stronger, and the keys you press with your pinkies are lighter than the rest of the keys.  It's a great idea, but on those keyboards, the outer ones are light enough that they lose most of their tactility and just feel mushy.

For Cherry MX keyboards, I replace the space bar switch in all of mine with a heavier one.  Most of mine have brown switches, and I use a tactile grey for the space bar.  If I ever bought an MX clear keyboard, I'd consider replacing the outer switches with brown ones.  I think that would help to keep it feeling more even.

Oh that's very interesting; I've never owned a Topre so I had no idea. This makes me want to try one out even more. Is it only Realforce keyboards that have that variable feeling or is it with other Topre keyboards as well?

I'm wondering how effective this would be with MX style linears vs. tactiles. It seems very straightforward with linear switches (same stem, different spring) but I'm not too sure about tactiles, as combinations could vary in either different tactile stems, different spring weights, or some combination of the two (clears + browns like you mentioned). It's challenging because with a cherry clear for example, the bump feels much more obvious with lighter springs and I wonder if that would throw off the user. Tactile profiles seem to vary quite a bit per stem as well (rounder Zealio vs. sharper box royal for an exaggerated comparison).

Not really sure how to tackle tactiles. Maybe brown and clears are the way to go.

Spacebar seems to be a common mod to make intentionally heavier.

Offline jlee755

Topre Variable is like that..and it works...Less thock than a uniform Topre...but it is easier on the hands...

Have you noticed any increase in typing speed?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
I wouldn't make any Alphas different from each other it will trow you off typing. I did use to have ASDW red and everything else blacks and it was doable with typing but yeah it's not good and not worth doing. go for something lighter if you think it's to heavy. If you think it's to heavy swap springs if you want clear switches.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Findecanor

Topre got the idea from Key Tronic ErgoForce.

Offline Riverman

Oh that's very interesting; I've never owned a Topre so I had no idea. This makes me want to try one out even more. Is it only Realforce keyboards that have that variable feeling or is it with other Topre keyboards as well?
It's only some Realforce models that have variable weighting.  The Realforce RGB is a uniform 45g keyboard (like the Type Heaven, which isn't a Realforce keyboard), and there are some uniform Realforce models.

For what it's worth, my typing speed suffers on a Topre keyboard vs. an MX brown keyboard, but they're just so satisfying to type on that I don't care.  :D

Offline Polymer

I wouldn't make any Alphas different from each other it will trow you off typing. I did use to have ASDW red and everything else blacks and it was doable with typing but yeah it's not good and not worth doing. go for something lighter if you think it's to heavy. If you think it's to heavy swap springs if you want clear switches.

If you use "proper" form it won't throw you off..but if you don't then it probably does.

SO pretty much if you use your pinky fingers you're probably using "proper" form and this is where the variable really helps as far as ease of use...

As far as speed..it doesn't make a difference in speed...but if you're typing a lot it is so much easier on your hands..

Offline jlee755

If you use "proper" form it won't throw you off..but if you don't then it probably does.

SO pretty much if you use your pinky fingers you're probably using "proper" form and this is where the variable really helps as far as ease of use...

As far as speed..it doesn't make a difference in speed...but if you're typing a lot it is so much easier on your hands..
Yeah, I was hoping the touch typing part of the title would help specify  the usage. The fact that it's more comfortable makes me want to try this on at least alphas!

Offline nguyenhimself

Well it's not exactly for touch typing, but on my custom Katana60, along with Ergo Clear 68g on the Alphas, I also put (slightly) lighter Zealio 65g switches on all the modifiers and arrow keys (aka the edge of the keyboard). So far I've been enjoying it. The switches are similar enough not to cause any discomfort but also sound different enough for my ears' pleasure.

Offline Polymer

Yeah, I was hoping the touch typing part of the title would help specify  the usage. The fact that it's more comfortable makes me want to try this on at least alphas!

One thing is, it sucks for gaming IMO...I'm sure you can get used to it but I hate it..

Otherwise, I use it more than my other keyboards and it is a noticeable difference as far as how much more work my hands have to do on another keyboard...I just keep coming back to the variable for normal usage...

Offline jcoffin1981

I often find that I don't press keys which I have to reach with my pointer fingers with hard enough to register sometimes, however I'm already using a light brown switch.  I do like a spacebar slightly heavier.  I wouldn't mind a heavier backspace either.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jlee755

I often find that I don't press keys which I have to reach with my pointer fingers with hard enough to register sometimes, however I'm already using a light brown switch.  I do like a spacebar slightly heavier.  I wouldn't mind a heavier backspace either.
They have lighter springs that you can swap into your browns if you want to go lighter. You can also get your fingers swole by training with some clears or something too haha.

Offline jcoffin1981

They have lighter springs that you can swap into your browns if you want to go lighter. You can also get your fingers swole by training with some clears or something too haha.

My issue actually is that I have really small hands.  Believe it or not Tab is easier for me to press than the letter "T" is.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline rxc92

Have you noticed any increase in typing speed?

From my experience, the type of key has little effect other than if it's something much too heavy (for all I wanted to like them, I hated Greens). But on regular and silenced Topre, stock and o-ring Clears, Blues, it's been the exact same. The influence of keys is actually pretty minor! Clears help by making it so you rarely bottom out, but even then the limits of your word output aren't your fingers.. they're your brain and finger execution!

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
My vary-weight GH60 :cool:
198689-0

Making use of Gateron Blacks, Yellows and Reds.
However, after a short period of usages, I find that the Yellows on ring fingers are a little heavy for me
Then I swap the spring of yellows to reds and have been using it for several months.

I would say the typing feel is very interesting.
Got the solid feel of Blacks switches while preventing fatigues of ring&pinky fingers. :thumb:
I named it Ergo Blacks switches keyboard LOL
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 23:28:23 by josephchoi »

Offline the_marsbar

I recently acquired a Realforce 104 which has variable weighting, and is silenced. So far I actually really like it. The effect of the variable weighting is quite subtle in my opinion. If I really pay attention, I notice it, otherwise not. My main keyboard at work is a HHKB Pro 2 with some of the purple sliders for the Realforce. I also have Novatouch and a HHKB Type-S that I often use at home.