Author Topic: Will a backlight shine through black ABS/PBT/POM keycaps?  (Read 5572 times)

Offline VileRocK

Will a backlight shine through black ABS/PBT/POM keycaps?
« on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:59:20 »
Hello, I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but currently I own a Quickfire Storm TK and am looking at getting some blank keycaps (I am aware of the unusual bottom row on my board...). The look I would like to attempt to reproduce is a fully blank black keycap set, but keeping the backlights on to give it a nice subtle and stylish underglow effect, as the back plate for the TK is reflective. The TK's backlights are VERY bright however...

Would the material of the keycaps have any effect on the light allowed through? Are there any other factors(such as thickness)?

I have found these POM keycaps that are reasonably priced for a buyer in the UK, I'm aware it doesn't include keys like enter but I'd be happy to buy it if  I know that the backlight doesn't shine through at all. I'm open to similar suggestions if anyone knows a good place to pick up a set of blank black keycaps for a UK buyer!
http://www.banggood.com/POM-84-Set-Blank-Key-Caps-Black-Keycaps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84082.html

Thanks for reading!

Offline Linkbane

Re: Will a backlight shine through black ABS/PBT/POM keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:21:17 »
Hello, I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but currently I own a Quickfire Storm TK and am looking at getting some blank keycaps (I am aware of the unusual bottom row on my board...). The look I would like to attempt to reproduce is a fully blank black keycap set, but keeping the backlights on to give it a nice subtle and stylish underglow effect, as the back plate for the TK is reflective. The TK's backlights are VERY bright however...

Would the material of the keycaps have any effect on the light allowed through? Are there any other factors(such as thickness)?

I have found these POM keycaps that are reasonably priced for a buyer in the UK, I'm aware it doesn't include keys like enter but I'd be happy to buy it if  I know that the backlight doesn't shine through at all. I'm open to similar suggestions if anyone knows a good place to pick up a set of blank black keycaps for a UK buyer!
http://www.banggood.com/POM-84-Set-Blank-Key-Caps-Black-Keycaps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84082.html

Thanks for reading!

Not sure about POM specifically, but backlighting will shine through any caps besides certain thick PBT. The 84-set of PBT caps I got from banggood have a very nice backlighting allowed through as they were white and my TK had blue backlighting. Even the thick yellow PBT on my Ducky still allows backlighting through easily.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline VileRocK

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:03:00 »
Not sure about POM specifically, but backlighting will shine through any caps besides certain thick PBT. The 84-set of PBT caps I got from banggood have a very nice backlighting allowed through as they were white and my TK had blue backlighting. Even the thick yellow PBT on my Ducky still allows backlighting through easily.

I've since found these filco keycaps: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/blank-black-filco-105-key-keyset.asp
and these Ducky keycaps: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducky-ABS-Black-Keycap-Set-with-Laser-Etched-Side-Engraved-/380651379965?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item58a0971cfd

The filco material is not specified, but the ducky is made from ABS. White keycaps probably let light through more easily than black ones - do you happen to have any pictures of black keycaps with light shining through? For reference, the look I'm trying to replicate is something like this: http://i.imgur.com/1tZ9tRq.jpg

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:43:00 »
Ducky makes both thick PBT and stock thin ABS. If you're looking for backlighting, definitely don't go for black keycaps. As I'm sure you can tell from your TK caps, none of the black areas show backlighting, only the carved-out letter areas (Ducky does make backlighting-friendly caps like that, but they aren't the ones you linked).
Also, don't buy Filco keycaps. Their boards are good but their caps are absolutely terrible; thin ABS which shines as easily (possibly more than) those on the TK.

About the picture you linked, the best way to have that kind of effect (no backlighting showing through at all), is to buy a thick PBT set. IMSTO and other companies make these caps, and there's actually a perfect group buy going on right now (will be a while for shipping, though) with thick black PBT in printed (black) or blank, at a reasonable price. Check it out!
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline VileRocK

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:42:14 »
Ducky makes both thick PBT and stock thin ABS. If you're looking for backlighting, definitely don't go for black keycaps. As I'm sure you can tell from your TK caps, none of the black areas show backlighting, only the carved-out letter areas (Ducky does make backlighting-friendly caps like that, but they aren't the ones you linked).
Also, don't buy Filco keycaps. Their boards are good but their caps are absolutely terrible; thin ABS which shines as easily (possibly more than) those on the TK.

About the picture you linked, the best way to have that kind of effect (no backlighting showing through at all), is to buy a thick PBT set. IMSTO and other companies make these caps, and there's actually a perfect group buy going on right now (will be a while for shipping, though) with thick black PBT in printed (black) or blank, at a reasonable price. Check it out!

Did have a look and it looks good, my only concern with that is that the ISO mods are unlikely to be produced as only 33 people had signed up, meaning I'd be missing some keys. I'll keep my eyes open though, thanks for your help!

Offline VileRocK

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 18:32:00 »

Do you have an opinion of Ducky's line of PBT keycaps, such as these?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-103-DK&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=2455

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 00:47:50 »

Do you have an opinion of Ducky's line of PBT keycaps, such as these?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-103-DK&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=2455

Assuming that they're the same as the ones one the Yellow edition, they are smooth and very thick, but backlight friendly, which doesn't seem to be quite what you're looking for. Either way, best of luck in finding a suitable set.

Offline VileRocK

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 07:59:32 »
I sent an email to their customer service asking for them if they were able to block out all the light, with the picture for reference, and they have just replied:

"I have had a look at the keys and they don't let any light pass so I would say yes they will look like the picture."

Think I'll give them a try!